Here are the 37 applicants for the UAPB football head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belacheck & Pete Carroll in the NFL

Rod Broadway, Joe Taylor, Harold Maynor, Asberry, Reggie Barlow are just a few examples in recent BCF History of Excelling at one place and doing not so well at another. Broadway is here because of the relationship he had at Grambling compared to what he has at A&T.

Broadway has rings from Grambling and A&T.

Im talking specifically at this level (SWAC).

What coaches had success, flamed out, got fired and replicated the same success at a new school?

What coaches did poorly at one school and won at another? Barlow is the only one that sticks out to me, but he is now in D2... which further illustrates my point that maybe these guys are better off in the SIAC/CIAA

Bill Belacheck & Pete Carroll in the NFL

Rod Broadway, Joe Taylor, Harold Maynor, Asberry, Reggie Barlow are just a few examples in recent BCF History of Excelling at one place and doing not so well at another. Broadway is here because of the relationship he had at Grambling compared to what he has at A&T.
Oh, was he talking about the HBCU level? Oh.

They are probably not applying because they don't think our schools are serious about being contenders. If you're an OC/DC/Asst at a top 5 FCS program, or a guy like Mike London, you probably have so many people contacting you about jobs that you're basing your options long before the season ends.

This is Division One football. Target them. Talk with them before firing a coach. Gauge their interest. We already do this with coaches we are familiar with who (rightfully) have no demand elsewhere.

Simply posing a job req and hiring the "best" applicant is not how to transform a D1 program in 2017.

The bold print says it all. Everything you said after that goes back to the bold print. There is only so much that a football coach can be held accountable for if the school he is working for isn't doing what its supposed to be doing. And don't believe for a minute that Mike London (who is also a coach who excelled at one program, couldn't get it done at UVA, but is doing it again at HU) didn't tell Howard that they needed to make a commitment to football if he were to take that job.

That was a viable excuse at the time, but it wasn't Comegy alone responsible for J-State's APR issues.

You can't discredit that though. If he couldn't win a title without going into APR hell, why should any SWAC university hire him to turn around their program?

Are you that bullheaded and unwilling to call Comegy a recycled coach that you refuse to acknowledge that it was HIS program that fell below 900? Of course others may have had a hand in the problem, but this was HIS program.

You can't discredit that though. If he couldn't win a title without going into APR hell, why should any university hire him to turn around their program?

Are you that bullheaded and unwilling to call Comegy a recycled coach that you refuse to acknowledge that it was HIS program that fell below 900? Of course others may have had a hand in the problem, but this was HIS program.
No, I'm not "bullheaded". I'm just too smart to get caught up in fanatical (keyword "fan") bullshit.

The bold print (in your own words) simply proves that some of you argue for the sake of arguing, but at some point come to realize the basic truths that are staring you right in the face.

Anyway, good luck in the search UAPB.

No, I'm not "bullheaded". I'm just too smart to get caught up in fanatical (keyword "fan") bullshit.

The bold print (in your own words) simply proves that some of you argue for the sake of arguing, but at some point come to realize the basic truths that are staring you right in the face.

Anyway, good luck in the search UAPB.

re·cy·cle
rēˈsīk(ə)l/
verb
verb: recycle; 3rd person present: recycles; past tense: recycled; past participle: recycled; gerund or present participle: recycling
  1. convert (waste) into reusable material.
    "car hulks were recycled into new steel"

@Kenn Rashad
Why did ASU settle for Ely?

Is this REALLY the best that we can do??
Why are you asking me this question? I had no role in the hire. Did you not see the press conference and hear the reason why their AD hired him? Now, if you want to ignore what he did with that team as the interim after Jenkins was fired, that's on you. But it ain't hard to understand their justification in hiring him either. (SMH)

However, based on your response. Tell me what is wrong with Ely? What am I missing?

re·cy·cle
rēˈsīk(ə)l/
verb
verb: recycle; 3rd person present: recycles; past tense: recycled; past participle: recycled; gerund or present participle: recycling
  1. convert (waste) into reusable material.
    "car hulks were recycled into new steel"
Yep, just like I said previously. Fanatical bullshit. Thanks for proving my point.

That was a viable excuse at the time, but it wasn't Comegy alone responsible for J-State's APR issues.
Maybe not but 85% fell on him. He gutted that roster and brought in all those transfers. Now, we didnt have a good compliance shop at the time to check him but those actions were his.

You have shown the tendency to make a "generic" statement that targets specific schools. I mentioned Grambling by name. Grambling is the last name fan base that needs to get on their high horse after a few years ago. Grambling and Alcorn were forced to up their scholarships by their recent hires and the results showed on the field. UAPB upped their scholarships last year. Now they need to make a quality hire. Valley will have scholarship upgrades as far as other planned upgrades for the new coach to benefit from. The plan is on the net for every one to see (Google is your friend) so as I said before humble yourself because I refuse to sit by and let Grambling people throw shade at Valley when no one in the SWAC should have that holier than thou mentality (because no one has had a consistent 5+ year run)
A tendency? Man get out your miserable ass feelings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe not but 85% fell on him. He gutted that roster and brought in all those transfers. Now, we didnt have a good compliance shop at the time to check him but those actions were his.

I have to agree with Kenn here. That was on JSU. Comegy is not responsible for APR. The compliance office is supposed to handle that and we had a terrible one back then. You CAN gut a team if your compliance office is on top of it. You will/can lose points but we lost many that we didn't have to lose. We never should have even been on probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back