Here are the 37 applicants for the UAPB football head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness! Do people have to explain everything?! Look at Dooley resume. His won everywhere his been. Question why not Dooley? Thats the question!! SMH!

I'm aware of his resume; he was our OC for about 3-4 years. And I know he's a proven winner. It was never a question about "Why not Dooley?". I simply wanted to hear another opinion on this.

I'm aware of his resume; he was our OC for about 3-4 years. And I know he's a proven winner. It was never a question about "Why not Dooley?". I simply wanted to hear another opinion on this.
With the success of Dooley and reading his resume why would a person in they RIGHT MIND ask " Why Dooley". Dooley should've been an head coach 10 years ago. Everybody who knows football would agree with that.

With the success of Dooley and reading his resume why would a person in they RIGHT MIND ask " Why Dooley". Dooley should've been an head coach 10 years ago. Everybody who knows football would agree with that.

Ok dez.

It's true that I don't know a whole lot about football. But just because I don't doesn't mean that I'm not in my "RIGHT MIND" when I ask another's opinion about football. I'm always asking the members on the Forums (those I believe knowledgeable on the subject discussed) their opinions and I often ask their critiques. That's what intelligent people do.

Coach Dooley was successful at SU, he was successful at UAPB, he is successful at Grambling. I never said he wasn't and never objected to him being a candidate for the HC position at UAPB. But I don't equate success with ONLY WINNING, which is why I asked the question I asked. I was looking for and seeking a particular answer to see where other peoples' mind are.

Talk to enough MVSU players during his era, and... let's just say a little due diligence would have gone a long way LOL

Agreed. Which is why this whole thing has me nervous and nauseous. Too many times UAPB has made choices based on EVERYTHING but the RIGHT THING! I'm not saying Coach Dooley isn't a good consideration. I like Coach Dooley and he was a good fit for us as OC. I just want us to consider EVERYTHING that comes with Head Football Coach responsibilities. Those are the questions I'm praying will be asked and taken into consideration.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: I want us to win but NEVER at the risk of financial devastation or non-compliance or anything unethical/illegal.

Ok dez.

It's true that I don't know a whole lot about football. But just because I don't doesn't mean that I'm not in my "RIGHT MIND" when I ask another's opinion about football. I'm always asking the members on the Forums (those I believe knowledgeable on the subject discussed) their opinions and I often ask their critiques. That's what intelligent people do.

Coach Dooley was successful at SU, he was successful at UAPB, he is successful at Grambling. I never said he wasn't and never objected to him being a candidate for the HC position at UAPB. But I don't equate success with ONLY WINNING, which is why I asked the question I asked. I was looking for and seeking a particular answer to see where other peoples' mind are.
Ok I'm just saying if you want to take a chance with a proven quality FCS Coach he's the guy to take a chance on. But people fail to forget PV wants him too.

@2kool

If I were on the Search Committee/Board, these are the top questions I'd ask:

What are some of the strengths you possess in coaching that have brought success to your past programs? (SU, UAPB, GSU, Alcorn,Henderson State, etc.)
If hired, what will your number #1 priority be as Head Football Coach for the Golden Lions?
How well versed are you in NCAA compliance/regulations?
What have you done in the past to ensure (or help ensure) football athletes meet all NCAA eligibility requirements and maintain their (academic) eligibility?
If not already existent, what would you do (if permitted by the NCAA and the University) to gain or improve a good football APR?

As I said, I don't know a lot about football, but you can get the gist of what I'm trying to relay.

@2kool

If I were on the Search Committee/Board, these are the top questions I'd ask:

What are some of the strengths you possess in coaching that have brought success to your past programs? (SU, UAPB, GSU, Alcorn,Henderson State, etc.)
If hired, what will your number #1 priority be as Head Football Coach for the Golden Lions?
How well versed are you in NCAA compliance/regulations?
What have you done in the past to ensure (or help ensure) football athletes meet all NCAA eligibility requirements and maintain their (academic) eligibility?
If not already existent, what would you do (if permitted by the NCAA and the University) to gain or improve a good football APR?

As I said, I don't know a lot about football, but you can get the gist of what I'm trying to relay.

My question would be:

1.) you know we want to win, right?

2.) you know if yo azz don't win, you will be fired, right?

Coach Maxfield wouldn't be a bad hire. I have a friend who played for him at Henderson State. A guy that knows the recruiting base of Arkansas and has ties to East Texas.

Congrats to UAPB if it is indeed true. However, if they indeed want Dooley, give him the job right now. The celebration bowl shouldn't stop what you are doing.

Coach Maxfield wouldn't be a bad hire. I have a friend who played for him at Henderson State. A guy that knows the recruiting base of Arkansas and has ties to East Texas.

Congrats to UAPB if it is indeed true. However, if they indeed want Dooley. give him the job right now. The celebration bowl shouldn't stop what you are doing.

Dude, you know black people dont hire white people. Alcorn picked Hopson because no one else wanted the job. In fact, Hopson turned it down at first.

They are not going to pick a white dude over an alum who is a DC of the EAST champs and previous OC of the current West and SWAC champs.

Now, should they? HELL YEAH! Always go with the guy with HC experience and staff.

33c167bba9143885d1427c97234dd85b--first-trimester-internet.jpg

Looking at the finalists they have a hard choice to make.

Dooly - Has won everywhere he has been. Has been an OC at UAPB before.
Maxfield - Has Head Coach experience. Has been ok but not good at Henderson St. Also would he be able to win under FCS rules. Its has been said that it is way easier to recruit under DII rules than it is under FCS rules.
Thomas - might have the least amount of experience of the 3. He is a UAPB alum. Was a GA under Johnny Thomas. Was a Defensive Coordinator at one of the worst Jucos in Mississippi until Hopson made him secondary coach at Alcorn. Got the DC job when when Hopson left to go to USM.

Looking at the finalists they have a hard choice to make.

Dooly - Has won everywhere he has been. Has been an OC at UAPB before.
Maxfield - Has Head Coach experience. Has been ok but not good at Henderson St. Also would he be able to win under FCS rules. Its has been said that it is way easier to recruit under DII rules than it is under FCS rules.
Thomas - might have the least amount of experience of the 3. He is a UAPB alum. Was a GA under Johnny Thomas. Was a Defensive Coordinator at one of the worst Jucos in Mississippi until Hopson made him secondary coach at Alcorn. Got the DC job when when Hopson left to go to USM.

The decision is clear! #1 Maxfied. Only one with HC experience and has a staff. Flip a coin on the other two.

This is not just OK

2011 - 6-4
2012 - 10-1
2013 - 11-1
2014 - 9-2
2015 - 11-2
2016 - 8-3
2017 - 6-4

Winningest coach in Arkansas since 2010 (all levels).

Last edited:
Dude, you know black people dont hire white people. Alcorn picked Hopson because no one else wanted the job. In fact, Hopson turned it down at first.

They are not going to pick a white dude over an alum who is a DC of the EAST champs and previous OC of the current West and SWAC champs.

Now, should they? HELL YEAH! Always go with the guy with HC experience and staff.

If your comments are a representation of JSU Athletics...then I fully understand why JSU has had coaching issues for the last 20 years.

Just because a guy has head coaching experience does not make him the best choice.....SMH...

It doesn't, but it is a lower risk. A coach with HC experience has less to learn on the job.

This doesn't mean that a coach without it can't succeed. It's just a higher risk.

The biggest determining factor is which can get quality assistants to come work for him.

It doesn't, but it is a lower risk. A coach with HC experience has less to learn on the job.

This doesn't mean that a coach without it can't succeed. It's just a higher risk.

The biggest determining factor is which can get quality assistants to come work for him.

How do you weigh risk when each applicant is distinctively different?

I think UAPB has made 3 pretty good choices.

1. Dooley coached there and is a proven winner as an OC. Good natured. As a parent of a football player he has given me good advice for my son.

2. UAPB has on the list an alum who has served on a winning team. That means they are thinking about the support of the alumni.

3. A head coach from right down the road who has a pretty good record. Could he make the transition like Comegy did coming to Jackson State?

How do you weigh risk when each applicant is distinctively different?

I think UAPB has made 3 pretty good choices.

1. Dooley coached there and is a proven winner as an OC. Good natured. As a parent of a football player he has given me good advice for my son.

2. UAPB has on the list an alum who has served on a winning team. That means they are thinking about the support of the alumni.

3. A head coach from right down the road who has a pretty good record. Could he make the transition like Comegy did coming to Jackson State?

You weight the risk from candidate to candidate. If Dooley is able to bring quality assistants with him and Maxfield can't, Dooley wont be as high of a risk.

Personally, I add weight to coaches with prior successful HC experience. Jones was able to win at Morehouse, and was able to do the same at AAMU. Low risk selection. On the flipside, Spady could not win at AAMU because he had to learn on the job and was unable to bring quality assistants. Very high risk.

You weight the risk from candidate to candidate. If Dooley is able to bring quality assistants with him and Maxfield can't, Dooley wont be as high of a risk.

Personally, I add weight to coaches with prior successful HC experience. Jones was able to win at Morehouse, and was able to do the same at AAMU. Low risk selection. On the flipside, Spady could not win at AAMU because he had to learn on the job and was unable to bring quality assistants. Very high risk.

You make great points. Honestly, that is one of the primary reason I think Maxfield is the best candidate of the 3 Finalists. He has a great resume with success at every stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back