Here are the 37 applicants for the UAPB football head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should hire Comegy. He could put together a staff quickly and he is a proven winner. The rest.... not so much.

And NO I dont miss him in Jackson but he would be a blessing to some of you.

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but what the hell is a "recycled coach"? That is one of the dumbest terms I've ever heard anyone use. What is the difference between a recycled coach and a recycled accountant? It is not uncommon for a coach (who is in the business of coaching) to have a resume of previous COACHING jobs. Who the hell wants to hire a coach who has never coached before. Why would anyone want to hire an accountant to lead the accounting department without any previous experience?

SMH
every coach has been fired.

Pete Carroll, fired from the Jets and Patriots ended up with success at USC and Seattle

Nick Saban left Miami before they could fire him, ended up with success at Alabama

Bill Belichick fired from the Browns, ended up the greatest coach in history with the Patriots

get where I am going with this.........

Carroll is a college coach. Not an NFL coach.
Same with Saban.
Nobody was winning on the Browns because the owners were shutting down extra funding to move to Baltimore.

The problem is some of our coaches just aren't made to do their jobs. Keep it real. All of them could be successful, but just like the rest of the folks on our campuses they aren't made to do their jobs. I'll use A&M as an example. If we would've had a real AD to tell AJ look a here dude you will hire a real offensive coordinator or you will be fired it would have happened. No one wants to be fired. You'd be very naive if you don't think the President of Alabama doesn't tell Nick Sabaan what he wants done.

Pete Carroll, fired from the Jets and Patriots ended up with success at USC and Seattle

Nick Saban left Miami before they could fire him, ended up with success at Alabama

Bill Belichick fired from the Browns, ended up the greatest coach in history with the Patriots

get where I am going with this.........

yes, you have 3 whole examples....

The problem is some of our coaches just aren't made to do their jobs. Keep it real. All of them could be successful, but just like the rest of the folks on our campuses they aren't made to do their jobs. I'll use A&M as an example. If we would've had a real AD to tell AJ look a here dude you will hire a real offensive coordinator or you will be fired it would have happened. No one wants to be fired. You'd be very naive if you don't think the President of Alabama doesn't tell Nick Sabaan what he wants done.

ummm I think Nick Saban tells the President what he wants done but for the most part, everything else you posted makes sense...

Carroll is a college coach. Not an NFL coach.
Same with Saban.
Nobody was winning on the Browns because the owners were shutting down extra funding to move to Baltimore.

Carroll is a SB winning DC and Head Coach. How is he not a NFL Coach? Hell he was a NFL coach before he was a College coach. Dude is good. Folks forget he was the DC in San Fran when they won their last Super Bowl.

Don't think we can't pay a coach! Remember, We grow catfish on campus! We can sell plates at anytime! lol

On a very serious note......

Do we still have those catfish sales? I remember when I was there folks would come out the woodworks for that!

Looking at list of candidates................cringing at a lot of names............holding back tears when I see some............need to go in prayer mode for the rest......

~sighs~:(

IMO, a recycled coach is one who got fired from a previous job for not winning and ends up at another college as a HC (i.e., Eley at Alabama State).

I ain't mad at the coaches for going after jobs. Some of our programs just need to get serious about turning our programs around.

Thank You!!!

Do you want a plumber who has been fired from several jobs or do you actually give SOMEONE NEW A CHANCE?

I applaud the swac for not recycling failed plumbers err coaches and giving some new blood a chance.

It's a legitimate phrase. Give somebody NEW else a chance instead of the same folks in hbcu circles who have been fired over and over. Gofind a Hopson or Ted White or somebody up and coming. It makes the conference weak too by recycling the same coaches in and out. Get some new blood in the conference.

Thank You!!!

Do you want a plumber who has been fired from several jobs or do you actually give SOMEONE NEW A CHANCE?

I applaud the swac for not recycling failed plumbers err coaches and giving some new blood a chance.

It's a legitimate phrase. Give somebody NEW else a chance instead of the same folks in hbcu circles who have been fired over and over. Gofind a Hopson or Ted White or somebody up and coming. It makes the conference weak too by recycling the same coaches in and out. Get some new blood in the conference.

I agree that it is a legitimate phrase. We can hate it and compare it to other situations but when it comes to SWAC schools recycled coaches are not doing this conference a service as a whole. The schools that reached outside of the HBCU circle (Hopson (and Simmons falls up under his coaching tree), Fobbs (even though he graduated from Grambling, he had no coaching experience at a HBCU prior to coming to Grambling), Odums) have had sustained success and have looked good outside of conference against PWI schools (not getting dragged by 1-2 win Southland schools).

Unless a school like AAMU or UAPB is looking for a coach like Comegy or Wyatt to basically be a bridge coach for 4-5 years and stabilize their programs, I would rather them give a coach like Dooley or White (who most seems to be high on) a shot at being the man (if Dooley lands at PV, that just means that they could get over the Grambling/SU hump in the West). Football is the only SWAC sport that we can't seem to get consistent upward mobility as far as coaches is concerned.

I agree that it is a legitimate phrase. We can hate it and compare it to other situations but when it comes to SWAC schools recycled coaches are not doing this conference a service as a whole. The schools that reached outside of the HBCU circle (Hopson (and Simmons falls up under his coaching tree), Fobbs (even though he graduated from Grambling, he had no coaching experience at a HBCU prior to coming to Grambling), Odums) have had sustained success and have looked good outside of conference against PWI schools (not getting dragged by 1-2 win Southland schools).

Unless a school like AAMU or UAPB is looking for a coach like Comegy or Wyatt to basically be a bridge coach for 4-5 years and stabilize their programs, I would rather them give a coach like Dooley or White (who most seems to be high on) a shot at being the man (if Dooley lands at PV, that just means that they could get over the Grambling/SU hump in the West). Football is the only SWAC sport that we can't seem to get consistent upward mobility as far as coaches is concerned.

Why aren't any of our schools targeting OCs and DCs from the top 5 FCS programs?

Sam Houston State is averaging 46 points per game.

Who you hire doesn’t matter if you giving out 30 something scholarships

Your school was there 3-4 years ago. You know that was part of the reason why yall quit October 2013. Let us worry about that at Valley and yall be thankful yall found Fobbs. The SWAC is cyclical you know

Why aren't any of our schools targeting OCs and DCs from the top 5 FCS programs?

Sam Houston State is averaging 46 points per game.

That is a legitimate question. But at the same time, how many of those OCs are willing to come to the SWAC and actually wanna coach here? It can't be for money because even Valley and UAPB pay more at HC than most PWI HC gigs. They can't use recruiting either because the SWAC is located in a fertile area even for FCS prospects

That is a legitimate question. But at the same time, how many of those OCs are willing to come to the SWAC and actually wanna coach here? It can't be for money because even Valley and UAPB pay more at HC than most PWI HC gigs. They can't use recruiting either because the SWAC is located in a fertile area even for FCS prospects

How many are targeted by SWAC ADs, provided salary/budget ranges and encouraged to apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back