The SWAC Doesn’t Realize The Mistake It Made Against Grambling, Jackson State & South

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The SWAC Doesn’t Realize The Mistake It Made Against Grambling, Jackson State & S

We are banned from NCAA sponsored post season events....not conference sponsored post season events. So the real question here is was the SWAC right in extending the bans to conference sponsored post season events? The answer is yes. Why? becasue those events determine our reps for NCAA tournaments. However, the SCG is different. It makes total sense for the conference to comply with the NCAA sanctions. A SCG ban is NOT in compliance with the NCAA ban.

Exactly!

Re: The SWAC Doesn’t Realize The Mistake It Made Against Grambling, Jackson State & S

Nothing, they just play an extra game. Use the SEC as an example, in 2008 when Florida(11-1) played Alabama(12-0) in the SEC Championship game, Florida gave Alabama their first loss in that game and won the SEC Championship. Even though Alabama had the best record prior to the Championship Game, Florida was crowned champions of the SEC because they won the championship game. The championship game is used as a way to determine the champion of the conference.

That's a perfect example. Why should a school become a champion of the conference if the NCAA told you that you can't participate in post season play? The problem is that since the SWAC is a part of the CFB FCS division, the SWAC champs receives a bid to play in the FCS playoffs. Since we don't participate in the playoffs, it causes a headache and confusion for everyone i.e. this thread. The other real problem is that we have two divisons within the conference but everyone plays each other due to the stupid 9 game mandate. :retard:

Name one conference in CFB that has this assbackward setup?

Last edited:

Lawd Jesus!!! If that is the case why did the SWAC do what it did against GSU, JSU and SU?

Sheesh!

I think the Presidents voted out of sheer ignorance without thoroughly researching the matter from all sides.

Duer Sharp has to be blamed as well for making the decision to request a President's vote on the matter. As SWAC commissioner, he should've requested the authority to make the decision himself. He probably didn't even need to make that request in the first place. He should've mandated that the SCG will remain as is until further research is done.

Fiyah, it has been said several times that the SCG is not an post season event. But more than that, the NCAA didn't ban us from the SCG which, unless you are slow, clearly suggests that the SCG is NOT a post-season event.

We are banned from NCAA sponsored post season events....not conference sponsored post season events. So the real question here is was the SWAC right in extending the bans to conference sponsored post season events? The answer is yes. Why? becasue those events determine our reps for NCAA tournaments. However, the SCG is different. It makes total sense for the conference to comply with the NCAA sanctions. A SCG ban is NOT in compliance with the NCAA ban.

It has been said by the street committee on this site but you can't show where the NCAA has stated that exactly.

Just say we're from Missouri and "SHOW ME"

I think the Presidents voted out of sheer ignorance without thoroughly researching the matter from all sides.

Duer Sharp has to be blamed as well for making the decision to request a President's vote on the matter. As SWAC commissioner, he should've requested the authority to make the decision himself. He probably didn't even need to make that request in the first place. He should've mandated that the SCG will remain as is until further research is done.

No argument here. :lol:

But hey...our commissioner is a trend setter. He made the recommendation that all schools send their band and cheerleaders to the SWAC basketball tourney and got it approved. :lol:

I haven't been reading alot of threads lately so excuse me if my post sounds asinine.

IMO, the teams should be able to count the W/L's in the conference for a few reasons:
1) each team could play spoiler to who go's to the SCG, etc.
2) gives the teams hope for the future.

As far as not banning them from regular season championships, could this have something to do with the "Commish Cup"? Does divisional champions (in football) and regular season champs (in basketball) receive pts for winning the division/title? If so, I would agree that they shouldn't be banned from regular season titles but banned from post season play.

Lawd Jesus!!! If that is the case why did the SWAC do what it did against GSU, JSU and SU?

Sheesh!

When stuff builds up so much to where you can't hide it no more, that's why they had to do what they did.

What I'm saying is we act like the SWAC revolves around three schools when it is a 10-school conference. Example, we have beat a dead horse concerning the SWAC Championship Game Location. What other matchup was that game designed for besides an SU vs. JSU matchup?

Another dead horse we have beaten is why we don't participate in the FCS Playoffs. Why in the world would I want Grambling and Southern to play on Thanksgiving weekend if they are one of our Champions who will represent the SWAC in the FCS Playoffs? Will they have the same time to prepare for the first round as the team they are suppose to be playing?

Like I said, if any other SWAC School got banned, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But hey...our commissioner is a trend setter. He made the recommendation that all schools send their band and cheerleaders to the SWAC basketball tourney and got it approved. :lol:

:smh:

It has been said by the street committee on this site but you can't show where the NCAA has stated that exactly.

Just say we're from Missouri and "SHOW ME"

The Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The Southwestern Athletic Conference has voted to ban Jackson State and Southern from competing in the league's 2011 football championship game.

The NCAA already hit both schools with a postseason ban because of low APR scores, which were released last month. But the SWAC football championship did not apply because the NCAA considers the game an extension of the regular season.

Thanks Robber.:tup:

That's a perfect example. Why should a school become a champion of the conference if the NCAA told you that you can't participate in post season play? The problem is that since the SWAC is a part of the CFB FCS division, the SWAC champs receives a bid to play in the FCS playoffs. Since we don't participate in the playoffs, it causes a headache and confusion for everyone i.e. this thread. The other real problem is that we have two divisons within the conference but everyone plays each other due to the stupid 9 game mandate. :retard:

Name one conference in CFB that has this assbackward setup?

Yes, the conference setup has made this a messy situation. If an SEC received a post-season ban they would be banned from the SEC championship game because that will determine who represents the conference in the BCS Bowl Tie-In or National Title game. Meaning it would make no sense to allow a team that can't go to a bowl game play in the championship game.

However, the SWAC Championship Game is just used as a way to crown the champion(even though everyone plays each other). There is no playoff bid or bowl game to be gained from winning the game.

See, Dr. Brown abstaining from voting had more meaning to it than it is given credit for:

In order for us as a conference to move forward, we have to work together. You may have to make sacrifices like moving a traditional game to another date for the betterment of the conference. But if the conference improves, each school in it will improve as well.

Compare the MEAC and SWAC Conferences and their current direction.. The MEAC is kicking the SWAC's ass.

That was crazy because who will be paying for that?

The Associated Press

HOUSTON -- The Southwestern Athletic Conference has voted to ban Jackson State and Southern from competing in the league's 2011 football championship game.

The NCAA already hit both schools with a postseason ban because of low APR scores, which were released last month. But the SWAC football championship did not apply because the NCAA considers the game an extension of the regular season.

Right and if the SWAC participated in the playoffs, that mean the school that wins the SCG don't play in the post season.

See, Dr. Brown abstaining from voting had more meaning to it than it is given credit for:

In order for us as a conference to move forward, we have to work together. You may have to make sacrifices like moving a traditional game to another date for the betterment of the conference. But if the conference improves, each school in it will improve as well.

Compare the MEAC and SWAC Conferences and their current direction.. The MEAC is kicking the SWAC's ass.

Then why don't you and Alcorn go run to the MEAC then. SU and Grambling aren't moving that game so you might as well stop bringing it up. Alcorn hasn't won a SWAC title in recent memory. Is the Bayou Classic to blame for Alcorn's lack of success on the field?

In what?:noidea:

The SWAC consistently fields better football, basketball and baseball teams overall, and our football attendance numbers are usually much higher than the MEAC's.

Did Dr. Brown actually abstain? If he did, I have a newfound respect for the man for admitting that he didn't have enough of the full picture to be able to vote yea or nay.

I haven't been reading alot of threads lately so excuse me if my post sounds asinine.

IMO, the teams should be able to count the W/L's in the conference for a few reasons:
1) each team could play spoiler to who go's to the SCG, etc.
2) gives the teams hope for the future.

As far as not banning them from regular season championships, could this have something to do with the "Commish Cup"? Does divisional champions (in football) and regular season champs (in basketball) receive pts for winning the division/title? If so, I would agree that they shouldn't be banned from regular season titles but banned from post season play.

No one says that their wins or losses don't count, they count just like any other games. The only difference is that they can't go to the basketball tourny or the SCG. They could become spoilers for ever team in the conference and beat their own chest and say they are the Defacto champs of their division and that's all.

I think they will still get their allotted points for the commish cup with the exception of getting points in those games that determine the championship. In football the points are determined for the SCG champion and runner up and then determine by record. In basketball the points are determined from regular season record on down. The basketball tourney don't determine the points that are rewarded.

Right and if the SWAC participated in the playoffs, that mean the school that wins the SCG don't play in the post season.

But the SWAC doesn't play in the post season due to scheduling, so your point is moot.

In what?:noidea:

The SWAC consistently fields better football, basketball and baseball teams overall, and our football attendance numbers are usually much higher than the MEAC's.

Did Dr. Brown actually abstain? If he did, I have a newfound respect for the man for admitting that he didn't have enough of the full picture to be able to vote yea or nay.

You win the SWAC Championship and Then What.......Nothing. You just Say, "Yay, we won the SWAC Championship and then say......Yay, we going to win it again next year". That's it.

MEAC Team wins the MEAC Championship they say "Yay, we going to the FCS Playoffs"

SEC team wins the SEC Championship they say, "Yay, we're going to a BCS Bowl Game".

See The Difference?

The Associated Press

That is not a NCAA link that states what their opinion on it is, that is nothing but something a reporter wrote that probably read it here on this site from the street committees

Once again for all the playoff folks. If the NCAA wanted the SWAC in the playoffs, they would have moved the start of the playoffs back 1 or 2 weeks.

You win the SWAC Championship and Then What.......Nothing. You just Say, "Yay, we won the SWAC Championship and then say......Yay, we going to win it again next year". That's it.

MEAC Team wins the MEAC Championship they say "Yay, we going to the FCS Playoffs"

SEC team wins the SEC Championship they say, "Yay, we're going to a BCS Bowl Game".

See The Difference?

Correction, the MEAC Champion says, " Yeah, we are going to get destroyed in the 1st round again." Just accept the fact that we aren't playing in the playoffs right now. This has been known for over a decade.

Last edited:

See The Difference?

Dude Alcorn hasn't been relevant in years so i don't know why you are whining.

Then why don't you and Alcorn go run to the MEAC then. SU and Grambling aren't moving that game so you might as well stop bringing it up. Alcorn hasn't won a SWAC title in recent memory. Is the Bayou Classic to blame for Alcorn's lack of success on the field?

What does Alcorn winning a SWAC Title have to do with the Bayou Classic being in the way of ALL SWAC CHAMPIONS NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL THEY REPRESENT playing in the FCS Playoffs?

Like I've already said, Look At The Big Picture.

Correction, the MEAC Champion says, " Yeah, we are going to get destroyed in the 1st round again."

I don't know about anyone else but i would rather my team to be home than to be on national tv getting skull drug.

But the SWAC doesn't play in the post season due to scheduling, so your point is moot.

It's a valid point because the SWAC should be participating. That's the SWAC's fault for not doing that and other schools for not handling their business in terms of scheduling. That's another topic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back