Source: USC, UCLA considering move from Pac-12 to Big Ten as early as 2024

Does not matter if they decide to add more teams. ESPN will gladly renegotiate if teams they want join.

Wouldn't really be worth it to re-negotiate. Also, they probably wont add any teams and if they do, it wouldn't impact the TV money because they are already in the TV markets for the teams they are looking to possibly expand to with the exception of NC.

USC getting their recruits ready for the B1G switch in these uniforms

1687195758405.png

Last edited:
Still wouldn't make sense if there was no indicator that the Pac or Big 12 will take them.
Right, which is why I indicated in an earlier post that SDSU is gambling. The fact that SDSU would ask for an extension makes it clear that a conference has not made an offer to the school to join yet.

Because the Pac 12 has not finalized their media deal yet. It's pretty much a given at this point.

Exactly! This (again) goes back to my earlier post indicating that SDSU is gambling. There has been NO official invitation from the Pac 12. SDSU can tell the MWC that it is leaving the conference NOW (before June 30) and pay a $17 million exit fee or pay $34 million after the deadline.

If it is a done deal, as you've indicated, that SDSU is going to join the Pac-12, wouldn't it make sense to tell the conference now that it is leaving now?

Exactly! This (again) goes back to my earlier post indicating that SDSU is gambling. There has been NO official invitation from the Pac 12. SDSU can tell the MWC that it is leaving the conference NOW (before June 30) and pay a $17 million exit fee or pay $34 million after the deadline.

If it is a done deal, as you've indicated, that SDSU is going to join the Pac-12, wouldn't it make sense to tell the conference now that it is leaving now?

Do they have any recourse to say they are leaving but then decide to not leave if it don't turn out the way they want it to?

Do they have any recourse to say they are leaving but then decide to not leave if it don't turn out the way they want it to?
I have no idea. I'm guessing the solution is written somewhere in the conference's by-laws. But whatever it is, I'm guessing there would still be some penalty to pay.

There will be more conference movement in college athletics. That is guaranteed. UCLA and USC are headed from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten and that means the Pac-12 will likely need more teams. The two most likely to replenish that Power Five league are San Diego State University and Southern Methodist University.

San Diego State is currently a member of the Mountain West Conference. SMU, a private school in Dallas, is a member of the American Athletic Conference. Those two Group of Five leagues would potentially need to add a member.

This is where our local NCAA Division I institution enters the discussion.

Back