Source: USC, UCLA considering move from Pac-12 to Big Ten as early as 2024

The PAC 12 cannot get a TV deal that they are happy with. They over valued themselves. The streaming only option for a TV deal does not go over well with the big football and basketball schools, They want to be seen on ESPN, Fox or the networks at least sometimes. Those schools fear it will hurt recruitment.

The plot thickens! 😂

"San Diego State may want to remain in the Mountain West after all, but the feeling apparently isn’t mutual.

The Mountain West insisted in a series of letters last week that SDSU formally announced it was leaving the conference, and said it is going to withhold a $6.6 million payment as the first installation of an exit fee."

The plot thickens! 😂

"San Diego State may want to remain in the Mountain West after all, but the feeling apparently isn’t mutual.

The Mountain West insisted in a series of letters last week that SDSU formally announced it was leaving the conference, and said it is going to withhold a $6.6 million payment as the first installation of an exit fee."

I dont agree with the MW on withholding the money, they should be paid, they are staying. For now.....

I dont agree with the MW on withholding the money, they should be paid, they are staying. For now.....
I don't necessarily disagree with what the MWC is doing, either. San Diego State tried to be cute with the wording of its letter to the conference, indicating that it may leave, but it needed more time to determine if they were going to leave or not.

San Diego State to remain in Mountain West, receive $6.6M initially withheld after decision to leave​

LAS VEGAS (AP) — San Diego State not only remains in the Mountain West, the Aztecs are getting the money that was withheld after they initially informed the conference of their intention to leave.

The Mountain West will provide the $6.6 million that was withheld, but San Diego State is responsible for paying the conference's legal fees associated with the matter, first-year commissioner Gloria Nevarez said Wednesday at the conference's football media days.

“I think my overarching philosophy to the entire thing is San Diego State is a positive to the Mountain West," Nevarez said. "We are better with San Diego State, and I feel good about where we landed.”

Nevarez, however, knows this could be a temporary arrangement and acknowledged the Aztecs could still leave at some point should the Pac-12 or Big 12 come calling. They are committed for the next two years.

When asked if the Mountain West had staved off any defections or raids, she said, “I mean today, yeah. Tomorrow? Who knows, right? It's constantly changing, but I really feel good about where we are as a league and keeping San Diego State for this year. And even if it's just another year, that's just good for (the conference).”

Colorado moving to the Big 12. buckeye and the Oregon duck post a picture on the internet today say big things are coming. This will start the exodus.

The PAC is a dumpster fire right now with many P5 programs carrying debt loads of 8-figures. Don't be surprised to see the MWC explode to 16 teams.

It'll be wild to see Cal and Stanford in the same conference as San Jose State and Fresno State.

Almost one year later, this still needs to happen. Maybe once they see our numbers the first three weeks, they will give us a multi-million dollar deal.
Question does JSU have the data that they can present to media outlets to get the big deal? Presenting just attendance numbers is no longer enough for the media outlets, as they want specific numbers down to the detail. I think if our schools start collecting the data or have a company collect the data for them, then I don't why we could not get better media deals.

Question does JSU have the data that they can present to media outlets to get the big deal? Presenting just attendance numbers is no longer enough for the media outlets, as they want specific numbers down to the detail. I think if our schools start collecting the data or have a company collect the data for them, then I don't why we could not get better media deals.
The conference collects those numbers. So we have it or have access to it.

The 30 for 30 on Larry Scott’s destruction of the Pac 12
I wish I saw that.

Some (or many) are blaming him.

----------

www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-07-07/did-larry-scott-kill-the-pac-12-the-answer-is-more-complicated-than-you-might-think

“It’s easy now to take shots at Larry Scott and play armchair quarterback,” said Patrick Rishe, director of the sports business program at Washington University in St. Louis. “That being said, I think history will show he did not make the wisest decision.”

“One criticism I’ve heard about Larry Scott in the industry is that he always wants to be the smartest guy in the room,” Rishe said. “You wonder if he tried to out-think this one.”

The conference found itself in a Catch-22. Its network needed a juggernaut team to lure viewers but, with rival conferences generating larger revenues, spending more on coaches and lavish training facilities, competing for top recruits grew tougher.

“They had a lot of product, but they didn’t have the level of audience they needed,” said Daniel Durban, director of USC’s Institute of Sports, Media and Society. “Frankly, the Pac-12 just wasn’t that compelling.”

Meanwhile, the SEC was pouring unprecedented resources into football, with Nick Saban and Alabama leading the way, racking up one championship after another.

“The Pac-12 schools have always been on the West Coast, they’ve always dealt with visibility and recruiting issues,” Rishe said. “Those issues become more acute once a conference like the SEC takes over and it becomes harder to catch up.”

The Olympic sports could not compensate.

“The Olympic thing can be icing on the cake,” Durbin said. “But you need the core product.”

Shortly before stepping down, Scott told the Associated Press he lamented his schools not winning more in football. He criticized university leadership for abandoning his plan too soon.

Fans did not react kindly to the comments. Still, the final verdict on his tenure is probably more nuanced than a slew of angry posts on social media might suggest.

Back