Grambling targeting Art Briles as offensive coordinator (per Football Scoop) [UPDATE - Officially hired!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on personnel Briles' offense can be equally run or pass dominant. If you want to see what a Briles offense looks like go watch Ole Miss or Arkansas. Both of those are running Briles' offense.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Deion revolutionized SWAC recruiting but if Briles is hired at Grambling Briles will revolutionize SWAC coaching. SWAC DCs will take some lumps from a Briles offense.

Hal Mumme had the same offense and we never saw it at Jackson State

The air raid concepts are all over the SWAC - Jason Phillips was under Art Briles at Houston and see how that turned out

its about Jimmies and Joes

Briles Offense is a power spread with old school wing t and veer principles. He also a challenges defense vertical which is different than the Hal Mumme style spread offense.
Thanks …

So is it such a unicorn that no one ran something similar in the SWAC? Think we’ve seen a little of everything.

So what y'all telling me is that Briles' offense at Baylor worked because of superior athletes? Jimmies and Joes right?

And nobody else in the SWAC in recent years ran similar plays, route combos or run concepts featured in the Briles offense?

Y'all really think Art Briles' offense was successful at Baylor because he had more talent than other teams?! Y'all mofos will learn in the fall 😄

I’ll shout this until the roosters come home… Line play is vital right now in the SWAC we’ve traditionally never had an issue with the shiny flashes of solid rb, wr, and QB play. We’ve had an issue with line play defensively and offensively to be able to deal with that next level of elite we’ll play out of conference.

I mean…having an nfl level QB running your offense isn’t indicative of the success of your scheme. Recruiting an air raid qb helps tremendously but I don’t see why the conference would be on notice lol. Hopefully Thurman is prepared, he’s never coached against the air raid. The scheme is so good that most nfl teams don’t run it😬

I mean…having an nfl level QB running your offense isn’t indicative of the success of your scheme. Recruiting an air raid qb helps tremendously but I don’t see why the conference would be on notice lol. Hopefully Thurman is prepared, he’s never coached against the air raid. The scheme is so good that most nfl teams don’t run it😬
He’ll see a lot of it in our practice.

I’ll shout this until the roosters come home… Line play is vital right now in the SWAC we’ve traditionally never had an issue with the shiny flashes of solid rb, wr, and QB play. We’ve had an issue with line play defensively and offensively to be able to deal with that next level of elite we’ll play out of conference.

That is literally why I was in shock that we went undefeated. There were games where our DL was neutralized and OL pushed around. Our kicker pissing down his leg after every pat smh. We did ok but we should’ve lost at least three games in paper.

He’ll see a lot of it in our practice.

I was joking lol. Thurman has seen it all as an NFL DC. It wouldn’t shock me if we get away from the blitz heavy style from this past season. Better coverage LBs and corners opens up room for disguises. The air raid is really a gimmicky offense and you don’t need to run many plays. When it works (therriault) and is paired with a run game, you can put up video game numbers. If teams shut down the quick passes then you can’t move the ball. It is interesting that kingsbury has had pro success with it tho.

That is literally why I was in shock that we went undefeated. There were games where our DL was neutralized and OL pushed around. Our kicker pissing down his leg after every pat smh. We did ok but we should’ve lost at least three games in paper.
Not to mention the emotional weight of not knowing coach primes health in the middle of the season and impact that may have had on those kids. Nobody ever talks about the amount of trust he had to have in leaning on his coaching staff less than a year into the prime era. But people will claim the”no coaching” narrative based off one bad performance which was squarely on QB1 turnovers and the team overlooking sc state.

Briles isn't Jimbo Fisher who needs an elite NFL prospect QB to have an elite offense. Briles is so famous now in coaching circles he can pull decent QBs but the man is not just an elite play caller and offensive mastermind but he's also a great QB coach. Look at how QBs develop in his offenses whether he coached the offense or his son or son in law.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
I was joking lol. Thurman has seen it all as an NFL DC. It wouldn’t shock me if we get away from the blitz heavy style from this past season. Better coverage LBs and corners opens up room for disguises. The air raid is really a gimmicky offense and you don’t need to run many plays. When it works (therriault) and is paired with a run game, you can put up video game numbers. If teams shut down the quick passes then you can’t move the ball. It is interesting that kingsbury has had pro success with it tho.
No doubt I think DT will finish installing more concepts this off season. Hunter is not a press man corner so I can see a lot of bracket and mixed coverages this year. Front 7 wise you have enough to where he can run stunts and rotate out d line to keep a consistent pass rush that’ll wear an o line down if they don’t have depth.

Briles isn't Jimbo Fisher who needs an elite NFL prospect QB to have an elite offense. Briles is so famous now in coaching circles he can pull decent QBs but the man is not just an elite play caller and offensive mastermind but he's also a great QB coach. Look at how QBs develop in his offenses whether he coached the offense or his son or son in law.

The man had elite college QBs - Kevin Kolb, RG3, Stidham, Keenum, etc. going back to high school -

pretty much that offense depends on elite skill guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back