SWAC and MEAC announcement this afternoon "Celebration Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we want to kill off a successful event that outdraws 75% of the FBS bowl games? As others have said, the SCG gets added value with the winner earning a berth to the Celebration Bowl. I can see why the other FCS schools are salty lol

An 8 game mandate would be the four divisional opponents and 4 rotating opponents in the opposing conference.

Valley: East JSU, ASU, ASU, AAMU (set in stone) West: UAPB, SU, Grambling, TSU

Leaves open the chance that a school can play a school they didn't play in the regular season. They do it in the SEC all the time. Seven games would be even better but 8 is satisfactory. It would be interesting though to see how SU would handle it when JSU rotates off the schedule lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
"If the Golden Bears win the West Division, they will qualify for the SIAC Championship game on Nov. 14 at Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Ala. Title game ot not, Miles will still make a trip to the state capitol when it takes on Alabama State in the 92nd Turkey Day Classic. Ruffin said his team will be plenty prepared to take on the Division I FCS Hornets.

"We don't back down from any competition. Any opponent you have, you give them all that you can," Ruffin said. "They'll be a well-coached team with coach (Brian) Jenkins so it'll be a great measuring stick for our program."

By playing in the Turkey Day Classic, Miles will forego its eligibility for the NCAA Division II playoffs in 2015. But Ruffin does not believe that is a negative for the Golden Bears.

"We have been ranked in the (South) region the last couple of years but we chose to go to the Turkey Day Classic. Sometimes, the deck is stacked against you (in the playoffs). You don't have a chance to get the seed you want. Our teams tend to get a one-and-done," Ruffin said.
"The magnitude of playing ASU, the history of the Turkey Day Classic, with them play schools from our conference like Tuskegee and Stillman, it was an opportunity we did not want to pass up."

Miles College Coach (Former Assistant at Tuskegee) giving his views on the Division II playoffs. If ESPN approached other FCS conferences about a Bowl game, with guaranteed money in today's financial climate they too would look close. Everything is about money - why do you think the Power 5 continue to do all they can to separate themselves from everyone else - it aint the competition, its to continue to gain and horde more profit...look at the NCAA Tourney - mid-majors get jammed up such as Murray State so less deserving teams such as Texas and Indiana gain bids and only because it is perceived that since they play in a Power 5 conference their team is better. If it is about competition - when have you seen a Power 5 school come to a mid-major for a basketball game - come play on our court and let's see how we do. There are rare occasions when that happens but for the most part we have to take a "hoe-trip" around the country, then at this time of the year because we didn't win one of those 'hoe' games the pundits will say well they don't have a win against the Top fill in the blank - but when a Power 5 school has a losing record in the conference they get credit for "playing in the Power 5 conference" but they still didn't win jack.

I know that was a ramble and I am talking football and basketball but in the end it's still all about the money - doing what you have to do to make sure your economics are in place - it aint got nothing to do with running from competition. If you have a business or a household to run - when you have tough business decisions to make I would imagine one of the most important questions you ask yourself is "what makes fiscal sense?"

I'm sorry but I cannot get past the "Celebration Classic" name.

When I hear that name and Atlanta in one sentence, it sounds like Creflo is holding his fall revival.

That still doesn't negate the fact that the leadership made the right decision to move up. Every FCS should have that same desire.
A desire is great but without the financial support to move up, it is only a desire that will never be met. Look at the numbers below from 2013 - What school in the MEAC/SWAC can move up to FBS with their current budgets?

13 of 23 MEAC and SWAC schools had budgets less than $10 million in 2012-2013

Delaware State - $13 million - MEAC (Highest in MEAC)

Alabama State - $14.1 million – SWAC (Highest in SWAC)

Texas - $165.6 million – FBS (Highest in FBS)

James Madison - $36 million - FCS (Highest in FCS)

You're original post.

You are the one who stated other groups have been breaking off and forming their own bowls and stuff for years. So prove it.

I didn't exactly say they have been "forming their own bowls". My point is that what we are doing is no different that what the Power 5 conferences or even the Ivy League is doing. Those entities are, and have been doing, what is best for them (financially) for years. The Power 5 conferences said, "screw the NCAA" and have been creating their setup for years. Who do you think came up with the college football playoff? The CFP is an independent group controlled mostly by the P5 conferences. The NCAA has no say over what they do.

The Ivy League competes at the FCS level in football but doesn't complete in the NCAA playoffs. However, they have no problem sending schools to represent the conference during the NCAA tournament. This year it is Harvard. I wonder why they are doing that? This has NOTHING to do with wins and loses. It have everything to do with money though.

Why would we want to kill off a successful event that outdraws 75% of the FBS bowl games? As others have said, the SCG gets added value with the winner earning a berth to the Celebration Bowl. I can see why the other FCS schools are salty lol

An 8 game mandate would be the four divisional opponents and 4 rotating opponents in the opposing conference.

Leaves open the chance that a school can play a school they didn't play in the regular season. They do it in the SEC all the time. Seven games would be even better but 8 is satisfactory. It would be interesting though to see how SU would handle it when JSU rotates off the schedule lol

How SU would handle it? We're their draw not the other way around. When we visit them those are the only years they lead in attendance.

Having said that it'll never happen. You don't rotate your biggest inter conference rivals

Bane, you do know schools actually lose money going to the FCS playoffs don't you? But you're not concerned with that, right?

Let's take Southern for 8-games...
since we know four division games (Pine Bluff, Grambling, PV and TSU)
rotate a different East division team every year ... so let's say we'll have JSU, Alabama St., Alcorn and Valley...

then 2016...roll off Jackson State
then 2017 ... roll off Alabama State
then 2018 ... roll off Alcorn
then 2019 ... roll off Valley
then 2020 ... roll off Alabama A&M and repeat the process ... flipping who had home field the previous meeting...

It can be done...

(HBCU Records in FCS Playoffs since 1978)

Teams have a combined 8-50 record(1978-2014)

MEAC is 8-31 with one championship (1978) (Some of FAMU victories came before they joined the MEAC to include the first and only championship and only four teams participated in the playoffs in '78)

SWAC is 0-19 (1978-1997)

SWAC last playoff appearance in 1996

MEAC is 8-31 with one championship (1978) (Some of FAMU victories came before they joined the MEAC to include the first and only championship and only four teams participated in the playoffs in '78)

SWAC is 0-19 (1978-1997)

But Bane wants us to go just to say we're being competitive... Lol! Comical... Smh.

SWAC is 0-19 (1978-1997)

The meac has never won a national title in football.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
....what if the game ends up being Valley vs. Howard?

Your point? Folks kill me with this crap. If whatever team makes it there they will have EARNED it and be a good ass team that year. If the event is marketed and people support it it will be a success no matter the teams playing as long as it's a good game. Winning puts butts in seats. If Valley makes it to the Celebration Bowl don't worry about us, just worry about Alcorn making it.

Let's take Southern for 8-games...
since we know four division games (Pine Bluff, Grambling, PV and TSU)
rotate a different East division team every year ... so let's say we'll have JSU, Alabama St., Alcorn and Valley...

then 2016...roll off Jackson State
then 2017 ... roll off Alabama State
then 2018 ... roll off Alcorn
then 2019 ... roll off Valley
then 2020 ... roll off Alabama A&M and repeat the process ... flipping who had home field the previous meeting...

It can be done...
Each school can have 1 permanent rival like the SeC. SU/JSU, Alcorn/Gram.

Your point? Folks kill me with this crap. If whatever team makes it there they will have EARNED it and be a good ass team that year. If the event is marketed and people support it it will be a success no matter the teams playing as long as it's a good game. Winning puts butts in seats. If Valley makes it to the Celebration Bowl don't worry about us, just worry about Alcorn making it.

Ikr? It's crazy how they take dumb stuff and repeat it, than want you to think it actually make sense

Each school can have 1 permanent rival like the SeC. SU/JSU, Alcorn/Gram.
The SEC had 12 teams when they went to divisional play...

Plus rotating one team off the interdivision schedule creates an 8-game slate. Plus rotating without a permanent rival eliminates bickering over who the higher drawing schools have on the schedule and what not.

My view on getting rid of the SCG....

If I have to choose between Lorman/Jackson and Houston/Atlanta, Houston/Atlanta will win nearly everytime.

The stupidest thing the Jackson, MS Airport Authority could have done was let Southwest Airlines leave. Now Southwest Airlines is thriving (of course it would. Who doesn't like saving $50 in baggage fees?).

I think the SCG should stay. Now, success of the Celebration Classic will be, in similararity to the SCG moving to Houston, depend on the first three Celebration Classic Games. Follow me:

SCG move to Houston:

SU vs. JSU
SU vs. Alcorn
SWAC West Champ vs. Alcorn

Ideally, for the celebration classic, you want

SU or JSU or Alcorn or Grambling vs. FAMU
Grambling vs. NC A&T (The Drama)
Alcorn (Coaching Dynamic) vs. FAMU, NC A&T or possibly Hampton

Nearly half of Bama State enrollment comes from the ATL metro and the city has a large Alumni representation. How can you leave Bama State and AAMU off your list? Proximity along should count for something.

Bingo.

If SU is there ill be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back