SWAC and MEAC announcement this afternoon "Celebration Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't exactly say they have been "forming their own bowls". My point is that what we are doing is no different that what the Power 5 conferences or even the Ivy League is doing. Those entities are, and have been doing, what is best for them (financially) for years. The Power 5 conferences said, "screw the NCAA" and have been creating their setup for years. Who do you think came up with the college football playoff? The CFP is an independent group controlled mostly by the P5 conferences. The NCAA has no say over what they do.

The Ivy League competes at the FCS level in football but doesn't complete in the NCAA playoffs. However, they have no problem sending schools to represent the conference during the NCAA tournament. This year it is Harvard. I wonder why they are doing that? This has NOTHING to do with wins and loses. It have everything to do with money though.

Ken,
How old are you man? Seriously. It took the so called Power 5 over 100 years to grow some nuts and go up against the NCAA. Up until a few years ago the NCAA controlled college athletics. Even now the Power 5 is still governed by them, but have more control than ever before. When the Power 5 completely break off from the NCAA and start running their own shat then lets revisit this conversation.

But Bane wants us to go just to say we're being competitive... Lol! Comical... Smh.

No I want us to go there, compete, and win championships. Those records actually support my argument. We quit the playoffs because we were getting our azzes kicked. Instead of raising our level of play we ran like a batch. Plain and simple. That damn money excuse is a damn lie. Oh well. I'm done.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
(HBCU Records in FCS Playoffs since 1978)

Teams have a combined 8-50 record(1978-2014)

MEAC is 8-31 with one championship (1978) (Some of FAMU victories came before they joined the MEAC to include the first and only championship and only four teams participated in the playoffs in '78)

SWAC is 0-19 (1978-1997)

SWAC last playoff appearance in 1996

Home Team, Can you admit we were getting our azzes beat to sleep in the playoffs? Those are the facts right there.

Home Team, Can you admit we were getting our azzes beat to sleep in the playoffs? Those are the facts right there.

Yes, I agree and since the SWAC has not played in the playoffs since '96, it is a win-win for the SWAC. You also have to look at the current revenue streams and decreasing athletic budgets to see why the MEAC has agreed to participate in the game. No HBCU can afford to leave any type of funding on the table just to say we are "competitive."

The "Elephant In The Room" No One Is Talking About:

The Georgia Dome May Not Be "Occupied" or even "Exist" in the next few years.

But I'm A Dummy.

You do realize we haven't played in a playoff game since 1996 ..... Right ?

You do know that this is the South Western Athletic Conference and not the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference... right?

Some might say the SWAC and MEAC are shying away from winning championships, but who really holds the FCS title in high esteem?

The folks who care about the FCS title are folks involved with the FCS, and that's not really saying much.

The "Elephant In The Room" No One Is Talking About:

The Georgia Dome May Not Be "Occupied" or even "Exist" in the next few years.

But I'm A Dummy.

Did you see the press conference and heard a member of the Atlanta Falcons talked about having the game in the "New Stadium" when it is completed? If not, the plan is to move the game to the new stadium upon its completion

I'm in Houston to support the SCG, regardless.

And I'll be in Atlanta to support the SWAC if JSU, Alcorn, Gram or SU is there to take on the MEAC. Otherwise I'll be at the crib hosting a watch party; cheering on the Swac team.

Go SWAC!!!

Self hate is when you quit something because you feel inferior.
So you expect schools like Valley with 3000 students to compete with FCS schools with 25,000? Now how dumb is that?
Nevermind the fact that MEAC schools are cutting sports but still don't mind losing thousands and thousands going to a worthless first round game 300 miles away.

When you start competing with better competition the money and exposure will always increase. That's pretty much a given.
No it's not. UAB had to cut football and they were an average team. It's takes lots of money to run football, something HBCU's just don't have.
Don't let your ego cloud the fact that it takes money to remain sustainable and HBCU's are showing that they just don't have the money to do that.
FAMU thought they had it right when they moved up to FBS, but they ended up moving back down to the FCS level.

In addition, those same MEAC folks who are complaining about participating in the FCS playoffs, less than 3,000 show up when they had a couple first round HOME playoff games, so it's quite evident that they're not putting their money with their mouth.
They're just blowing smoke.

How SU would handle it? We're their draw not the other way around. When we visit them those are the only years they lead in attendance.

Having said that it'll never happen. You don't rotate your biggest inter conference rivals
A big lie. We lead the SWAC for six straight years a few years back. I guess JSU had Southern at Memorial for six straight years. LOL.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dude, a cure for that is to play them during the regular season and beat them then. The deck is already stacked against the SWAC with these mid-level FBS schools disguised as FCS schools.

And when the SWAC was in the playoffs, many of those games were competitive games and winnable, but when the deck is stacked against you year after year, why continue to allow yourself to be made a fool of by competing against schools who are really FBS schools playing in FCS clothing?
A fair comparison would be to compare like teams with like, not apples and oranges.

No I want us to go there, compete, and win championships. Those records actually support my argument. We quit the playoffs because we were getting our azzes kicked. Instead of raising our level of play we ran like a batch. Plain and simple. That damn money excuse is a damn lie. Oh well. I'm done.
You're forgetting something. When the SWAC was still participating in the playoffs it was only 8 teams, and 3 of them (ASU, SU, GSU) were automatically disqualified from participating in them. That only left 5 teams who could go. Most of the time we were rarely sending our best teams to participate in the (then) D-1AA playoffs. Also, I've always faulted the D-1AA/FCS committee for creating this burden on the SWAC, and not moving the playoffs back a week to accommodate a fellow NCAA conference member with 3 teams who have HISTORICALLY played their classic games on Thanksgiving week(end). What's the real harm to the FCS playoffs in doing that? The D-1AA powers knew this, but said to hell with your TRADITION we are playing 1st round of the playoffs on Thanksgiving weekend. Now keep in mind, FBS is still in regular season that week so what the D-1AA powers decided on was unorthodox to say the least. Also, that decision proved that the SWAC's best-interest was not even considered by the D-1AA committees, nor was the SWAC even brought to the table in forming the D-1AA playoffs.

Enter UAPB ('98) and AAMU ('99), now the SWAC has 10 teams, and is ELIGIBLE to hold a conference championship by NCAA bylaws. A post-season game is just a way for a university to make more money. THAT'S IT! That's why you have 30+ bowl games now in the FBS ranks. There was never a true champion in the BCS era. It was always sportswriters who decided. Nothing about competition, but I digress... Since the D-1AA committee was refusing to accommodate the SWAC all those prior years, that brought about the formation of the SCG. A game where the SWAC took GUARANTEED profits to split amongst it's member institutions. We also had the Heritage Bowl with the MEAC at the time so us sending our conference champion made sense. The MEAC on the other hand killed the Heritage Bowl by sending their 2nd (or sometimes) 3rd best team to play vs. the SWAC. SWAC folks didn't like it, attendance dropped, and the game folded. The MEAC didn't have the same dilemma the SWAC faced regarding the playoffs. All of their football participating schools were eligible for the D-1AA playoffs. Truthfully, I never faulted the MEAC for doing what they did. They had an opportunity to have 2-3 conference teams in postseason play, which only heightened their exposure, money-making potential, and increased their chances at success... you know, looking out for their best interest.

Today, the MEAC "powers that be" have come to the harsh realization that at the end of the season, after all the championships have been handed out, the only thing that REALLY MATTERS is "SO HOW MUCH MONEY DID WE MAKE?". Do you seriously think the boys in FBS would have bowl games or a CFP if it didn't make money? Why do you think it took so long for a CFP to be created? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!! As long as the BCS was making money, why try to fix what fiscally and monetarily ain't broken? That's the reason you see the CFP now, it's been marketed as a playoff system, but it's really just the BCS repackaged with AN EXTRA GAME! Extra game = more $$$$!

Anyway, economics 101 will teach you when some entity comes to you offering a GUARANTEED $1,000,000 payout to play a bowl game against another conference foe vs. sending your conference champion to an FCS playoff system where the NCAA takes the majority of the profits as a sort of "maintenance fee" for administering the playoffs, you go with the money. That's being smart. That's being fiscally responsible. That's being about business.

If the FCS playoffs made money for ALL participants, the SWAC would participate, if anything just to collect the check. No different than in basketball and the NCAA tournament. There is money to be made.

This is the reality we live in. If you choose to disagree, you are either in your feelings or just plumb dumb. I can't say it any nicer than that.

Last edited:
No it's not. UAB had to cut football and they were an average team. It's takes lots of money to run football, something HBCU's just don't have.
Don't let your ego cloud the fact that it takes money to remain sustainable and HBCU's are showing that they just don't have the money to do that.
FAMU thought they had it right when they moved up to FBS, but they ended up moving back down to the FCS level.

In addition, those same MEAC folks who are complaining about participating in the FCS playoffs, less than 3,000 show up when they had a couple first round HOME playoff games, so it's quite evident that they're not putting their money with their mouth.
They're just blowing smoke.

UAB cutting football had nothing to do with money.... UAB got more money than any other school in this state.

A big lie. We lead the SWAC for six straight years a few years back. I guess JSU had Southern at Memorial for six straight years. LOL.

A few years back huh? Well we all know a lie ain't nothing for the peanut gallery to tell.

Prove it , clearly you know how to use the internet.

Props to the SWAC and MEAC for making the correct business decision as well as maximizing the programs national exposure.

Have to figure out a 8-game rotation somehow...

It's not that hard, I presented a rotation before that was fair and easy to do.

I am SMH in amazement at the comments being made on the MEAC fan board about the official news of the annoucment. WOW!

You should see the crap they posting in the FB group.

Why did we forfeit our automatic bid to create a SCG? If we were competing and winning in the FCS playoffs that shat would have never took place. You can say what you want.

We didn't have a automatic bid that was forfeited, it was a at large bid.

Let's take Southern for 8-games...
since we know four division games (Pine Bluff, Grambling, PV and TSU)
rotate a different East division team every year ... so let's say we'll have JSU, Alabama St., Alcorn and Valley...

then 2016...roll off Jackson State
then 2017 ... roll off Alabama State
then 2018 ... roll off Alcorn
then 2019 ... roll off Valley
then 2020 ... roll off Alabama A&M and repeat the process ... flipping who had home field the previous meeting...

It can be done...

Yep, it's real easy

Each school can have 1 permanent rival like the SeC. SU/JSU, Alcorn/Gram.

Don't need no permanent rival as that will cause friction.

Plus rotating one team off the interdivision schedule creates an 8-game slate. Plus rotating without a permanent rival eliminates bickering over who the higher drawing schools have on the schedule and what not.

Thank You.....

Ken,
How old are you man? Seriously. It took the so called Power 5 over 100 years to grow some nuts and go up against the NCAA. Up until a few years ago the NCAA controlled college athletics. Even now the Power 5 is still governed by them, but have more control than ever before. When the Power 5 completely break off from the NCAA and start running their own shat then lets revisit this conversation.
The Power 5 has always run the NCAA. They choose to hire an NCAA commissioner to coordinate.

It's not that hard, I presented a rotation before that was fair and easy to do.

Yep, it's real easy

Thank You.....

Thanks Fiyah. People think actually doing the 8-game schedule is rocket science.

This season, Southern is at Valley; home vs. Jackson State; at Alabama State; home vs. Alcorn State and home vs. Alabama A&M

So let's say we're on the 8-game conference slate....and Alabama State rolls off the rotation in 2015.....with that in mind...

2015: @ Valley; vs. JSU; vs. Alcorn; vs. Alabama A&M (Alabama State rolls off the schedule)
2016: @ JSU; @ Alcorn; @ AAMU; vs. Bama State (Valley rolls off schedule)
2017: vs. Alcorn; vs. AAMU; @ Bama State; vs. Valley (Jackson rolls off schedule)
2018: @ AAMU; @ Bama State; @ Valley; vs. JSU (Alcorn rolls off schedule)
2019: vs. Bama State; vs. Valley; @ JSU; @ Alcorn (Alabama A&M rolls off schedule)

We'd play Valley on the road in 15, home in 17, road in 18 and home in 19
We'd play Jackson State at home in 15, on the road in 16, home in 18 and road in 19
We'd play Alcorn at home in 15, on the road in 16, home in 17 and road in 19
We'd play Alabama A&M at home in 15, on the road in 16, at home in 17 and on the road in 18
We'd play Alabama State at home in 16, on the road in 17, on the road in 18 and at home in 19

With that in mind, the West teams will play four games (two home/two road) against East teams in the next five years with an 8-game slate. Pretty balanced scheduling...
In the name of fairness...have someone randomly pull the name of a West team and the team of the East team to pair them off for the initial cycle of scheduling.

So let's say Grambling and Alcorn are not playing the regular season and win their divisions...that brings a little more to the SCG. It could potentially help our schools schedule another revenue-generating OOC game while potentially adding a little spice to the SWAC races.

Thanks Fiyah. People think actually doing the 8-game schedule is rocket science.

With that in mind, the West teams will play four games (two home/two road) against East teams in the next five years with an 8-game slate. Pretty balanced scheduling...

In the name of fairness...have someone randomly pull the name of a West team and the team of the East team to pair them off for the initial cycle of scheduling.

It could potentially help our schools schedule another revenue-generating OOC game while potentially adding a little spice to the SWAC races.

Yep, it's not rocket science. You get a balanced 4 home and 4 away conference games each year. You only roll off a team from the opposite division once every 5 years. That gives you 8 conference games with 3 OOC games to schedule during the 11 game seasons and 4 OOC games during the 12 games seasons. So you could actually schedule 1 FBS(money game), 1 FCS game and 1(2) more of whoever you decide to schedule as OOC games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back