NBA Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some of yall just and I mean just like in 2004 started watching NBA lol..yall need to do some homework on what I'm saying

Dude laugh at Mookie Blaylock and Terrell Brandon..prolly never even heard of them folks LOL..smh..

I remember them well - that's why I laughed lol. Decent players but I'd never put them on the pedestal like u did.

You forgot Haywood Workman lol.

This years Atlanta squad had 4 all-stars. So whatever. The east is weak, no doubt about that. But the NBA as a whole is much much stronger now than it was in the mid-late 90s. Way more players, better athletes, even better coaching. I remember a barely .500 knick team making the finals when their best players were Latrell Sprewell and a broken down Larry Johnson. I remember those Pacer teams that were put out by the Bulls being full of golden oldies like Chris Mullen and Mark Jackson. The 1997-98 versions of those guys wouldn't be able to make it in today's NBA.

If Jordan had lost Pippen or Rodman in either of those years, they wouldn't have made it to the finals, much less win a title.

Dude the mid-90s was prolly the peak/essence of the NBA Lol..what is you saying...you had almost every team loaded in the mid-90s on both sides the WEST and EAST and when Jordan came back, thus the Bulls not winning in 95 was because of how good the teams were...bruh come on...The teams back then would eat up these teams today..
All you have today are a bunch of 'wing' players...Granted a few teams could play in that mid-90s era..Spurs and prolly the Clippers, cuz of DeAndre and maybe Houston..
Dude teams had 'post play' and 'guard play' Who today could stop, Karl Malone, Who could stop Ewing again, Shaq, Penny, John Starks, Pippen. and we talking these cats in their 'prime' not what and you see them now on TV and stuff..looking Larry Holmes status..flabby and sick..Dude Barkley led the dream team in scoring and most don't/didn't know this but I'll wait, who would stop these players in their prime, a young Antinoe McDyess, Shawn Kemp..man, Get all the way outta here lol, these younger fast guys would get ate up..trust me...
You can even look back on the Dream Team, how they killed those college kids, they beat the Dream Team the 1st game like by 15 pts or so, cuz Daily didn't let Jordan and them finish the game, he wanted to send a message, but when they played again, they dayum near beat them by 60 pts Lol..what is you saying..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I remember them well - that's why I laughed lol. Decent players but I'd never put them on the pedestal like u did.

No pedestal or anything but one would say Lillard or John Wall is better than Terrell Brandon without even watching Terrell Brandon play..or Mookie Blaylock..or say they were better than Gary Payton or Damon Stoudamire, it's all about the 'name' that some of these cats today are getting...I bet if they played in the mid-90s some of them wouldn't even be heard of..

You might be the only person in the world who believes the NBA peaked in the mid-late 90s. Most of the top players during that time were guys who were just past their prime, and the youngsters like Chris Webber and even Shaq were a few years away from hitting their stride in the early 2000s.

When I look at Jordan's career, I make sure to distinguish between the pre-baseball and post-baseball years. Pre- baseball he went through a gauntlet of great teams and reached a level that it is almost impossible to reach(LBJ is getting closer than I ever thought possible tho). Post baseball? He was still great but the league was way watered down and his most potent rivals were never able to sustain anything past a year. Add an all-timer like Pippen to the mix and That Jordan had an easier road to the title than LBJ ever did.

You might be the only person in the world who believes the NBA peaked in the mid-late 90s. Most of the top players during that time were guys who were just past their prime, and the youngsters like Chris Webber and even Shaq were a few years away from hitting their stride in the early 2000s.

When I look at Jordan's career, I make sure to distinguish between the pre-baseball and post-baseball years. Pre- baseball he went through a gauntlet of great teams and reached a level that it is almost impossible to reach(LBJ is getting closer than I ever thought possible tho). Post baseball? He was still great but the league was way watered down and his most potent rivals were never able to sustain anything past a year. Add an all-timer like Pippen to the mix and That Jordan had an easier road to the title than LBJ ever did.

I feel you,
We just have different views nothing wrong with that,

He ain't the only one. Today's NBA can't hold a candle to the NBA of the 80s and 90s. The NBA is very soft compared to how it used to be back then. All these ticky tack fouls, flopping, etc. No way could today's best teams hang with the hard style of play back then.

Who would guard LeBron?

The late great Anthony Mason, RIP or X the man..

I don't think Lebron would be able to take the punishment that would go on throughout that series

His outside game would have to be on point, cuz that block/paint action, after 4 or 5 trips he wouldn't be coming down that lane...IMO...'

Who would guard John Starks and Ewing?

Waiting.....

Last edited:
I never heard Terrell Brandon being talked up so much like he was this elite guard. He was good player. Nothing more, nothing less. Geez.

He ain't the only one. Today's NBA can't hold a candle to the NBA of the 80s and 90s. The NBA is very soft compared to how it used to be back then. All these ticky tack fouls, flopping, etc. No way could today's best teams hang with the hard style of play back then.

The Pistons flopped all the time back in the day. Rodman and Laimbeer were habitual line steppers when it came to flopping, dude. Stop romanticizing about that era.

I never heard Terrell Brandon being talked up so much like he was this elite guard. He was good player. Nothing more, nothing less. Geez.

I just said he was a good player,never said he was an elite guard

What is an elite guard anyway?

CP3 you would say he is an elite guard?, but he just got out of the 1st round this year and how long it took him? Lol..

T.Brandon/ He made the All-star team, he went to the playoffs, what separate him from a John Wall or Damion Lillard, would you say they are elite guards?

The Pistons flopped all the time back in the day. Rodman and Laimbeer were habitual line steppers when it came to flopping, dude. Stop romanticizing about that era.

Dude The pistons were called "The Bad Boys" you don't get tagged that name by 'flooping'

The late great Anthony Mason, RIP or X the man..

I don't think Lebron would be able to take the punishment that would go on throughout that series

His outside game would have to be on point, cuz that block/paint action, after 4 or 5 trips he wouldn't be coming down that lane...IMO...'

Who would guard John Starks and Ewing?

Delladova could guard Starks lol. He wasn't a great offensive player.

And Mason wouldn't have done any better on Lebron than the current guys. The NBA has never seen a Lebron James before, just like they'd never seen a Jordan or Magic.

I distinguish within those years. The late 80s, early 90s was one thing. The mid-late 90s? Not even close.

Lebron would've been a top 4 player in any era.

I just said he was a good player,never said he was an elite guard

What is an elite guard anyway?

CP3 you would say he is an elite guard?, but he just got out of the 1st round this year and how long it took him? Lol..

T.Brandon/ He made the All-star team, he went to the playoffs, what separate him from a John Wall or Damion Lillard, would you say they are elite guards?

Today's guys would eat Terrell Brandon for lunch and save his leftovers for later.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Delladova could guard Starks lol. He wasn't a great offensive player.

And Mason wouldn't have done any better on Lebron than the current guys. The NBA has never seen a Lebron James before, just like they'd never seen a Jordan or Magic.

Ok Lol

Mason and the X man would wear that dude down, again, you don't have handing checking and the refs let them boys play back in the day, hell if you sneeze on them dudes today they blowing the whistle, I saw last night, Lebron put his hand in the face of Agudola after his jumpshot and they called a foul LOL...smh..shat was sad as fuk..but again, I somewhat agree with you on this the NBA hasn't seen a player like Lebron (whatever that means) cuz when he came out of HS, he was a regular 2 guard or 3 (a bigger magic Johnson) and both Jordan and Pippen guarded him in the 91 Finals, so I don't get the whole nobody would be able to guard Lebron if he played in the mid-90s argument..but if you say so..you may as well say the same for K.Durant, since he's 6'11 handling the ball...

They think that because the guys today are more athletic means they are better. No way. A lot of these cats today don't really hit their prime until year 5-6 if they only play one year of college ball (that is if they are even in the league that long as a late 1st round-2nd round pick)

I'm surprised this many people on here think today's game is better than the 90s. Cats flopping like soccer players. Softer than Charmin

They think that because the guys today are more athletic means they are better. No way. A lot of these cats today don't really hit their prime until year 5-6 if they only play one year of college ball (that is if they are even in the league that long as a late 1st round-2nd round pick)

I'm surprised this many people on here think today's game is better than the 90s. Cats flopping like soccer players. Softer than Charmin

Yeah, cause nobody flopped back in the day.

From 1954 to 1964, shooting guard Frank Ramsey played an integral role in seven Celtics championship teams, averaging 13.4 points and 5.5 rebounds in 24 minutes a game. He played with Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, KC … all the greats. His coach was Auerbach. He also, quite literally, wrote the book on flopping. In the December 9, 1963, issue of Sports Illustrated, Ramsey, with Frank Deford, penned an article titled “Smart Moves By A Master Of Deception.” All the dark sorcery is in there, described in professorial detail, complete with “Teach Yourself Karate”–style illustrations.

Ramsey, on drawing fouls on a driving opponent (a.k.a., what Newlin did to Cowens):

Drawing fouls chiefly requires the ability to provide good, heartwarming drama and to direct it to the right audience. I never forget where the referees are when I go into an act. The most reliable eye-catcher is still the pratfall. Particularly on defense, when everything else fails, I fall down. Luckily, I happen to be type-cast for the part, because I have a peculiar running style—back on my heels, with my knees locked. It makes falling very easy and natural-looking for me.

I am beaten here. My man has a clear drive past me to the basket, unless I step in front of him—and that would be a definite blocking foul on me.

Instead, I shift my weight to get as much of my body as I can in front of him without moving my feet. If the official is anywhere behind me, it will appear as if I am in front of my man.

Then, at the first contact, I fall down—as if my man had charged right into me. With any luck, the foul I deserve will be called on the other guy.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/flopping-in-the-nba-a-history-of-nonviolence/

Yeah, cause nobody flopped back in the day.

From 1954 to 1964, shooting guard Frank Ramsey played an integral role in seven Celtics championship teams, averaging 13.4 points and 5.5 rebounds in 24 minutes a game. He played with Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, KC … all the greats. His coach was Auerbach. He also, quite literally, wrote the book on flopping. In the December 9, 1963, issue of Sports Illustrated, Ramsey, with Frank Deford, penned an article titled “Smart Moves By A Master Of Deception.” All the dark sorcery is in there, described in professorial detail, complete with “Teach Yourself Karate”–style illustrations.

Ramsey, on drawing fouls on a driving opponent (a.k.a., what Newlin did to Cowens):

Drawing fouls chiefly requires the ability to provide good, heartwarming drama and to direct it to the right audience. I never forget where the referees are when I go into an act. The most reliable eye-catcher is still the pratfall. Particularly on defense, when everything else fails, I fall down. Luckily, I happen to be type-cast for the part, because I have a peculiar running style—back on my heels, with my knees locked. It makes falling very easy and natural-looking for me.

I am beaten here. My man has a clear drive past me to the basket, unless I step in front of him—and that would be a definite blocking foul on me.

Instead, I shift my weight to get as much of my body as I can in front of him without moving my feet. If the official is anywhere behind me, it will appear as if I am in front of my man.

Then, at the first contact, I fall down—as if my man had charged right into me. With any luck, the foul I deserve will be called on the other guy.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/flopping-in-the-nba-a-history-of-nonviolence/

Dude you're bringing up all these articles or whatnot, but to kill all of this, why did the league just didn't put a fine/penalty on the players back in the day that would flop?? You speak on it like flopping was bad back in the day as it is today, so why the fine came in today's game?? why the ppl complained about it more in today's game then they did back in the day?

Why the league about 3 or so years ago start fining these dudes?

You wanna know why, cuz it got out of hand, that 'everybody' now is flopping,

you had your floppers that you knew back in the day...the rodmans, and the stockton and Lamibeers, but everybody in today's game, flops shat is disgusting

I bring up the articles because folks act like flopping just started 7 minutes ago.

It's getting more attention now because the NBA -- like almost everything else -- is under so much scrutiny because of all the nationally televised games, the social media, the internet, 24-hour media, the talk shows, etc.Bottom line is people are exposed to basketball more than ever and tend to make issue out of things that weren't issues before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back