Jackson State Football Notes: 2008-Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of turmoil surrounding the team... folks who had been waiting for a reason to voice displeasure. Three losses and a rumored departure by the coach didn't help.

MikeB, that is on you all. If you all shot yourselves in the foot by causing controversy in your own camp, then that's on you all, but we just man handled you all like we actually did the first game with poor defensive schemes.

MikeB, that is on you all. If you all shot yourselves in the foot by causing controversy in your own camp, then that's on you all, but we just man handled you all like we actually did the first game with poor defensive schemes.

Yeah, that is on us...but you didn't come close to manhandling us in either game. The first game we simply out played yall... in game two you guys had the upper hand. Regardless of bogus of bad calls... that's how it goes sometimes in football. Gram has been victimized too in games but it didn't do any good to dwell on it... ***** happens!

What I'm trying to get yall to know is that despite the rantings of how great you think your defense is... it still hasn't been proven. It wasn't proven last year and this year hasn't happened yet. Until I see otherwise, I'll just say "oh same old mafia noise" :swink:

Yeah, that is on us...but you didn't come close to manhandling us in either game. The first game we simply out played yall... in game two you guys had the upper hand. Regardless of bogus of bad calls... that's how it goes sometimes in football. Gram has been victimized too in games but it didn't do any good to dwell on it... ***** happens!

What I'm trying to get yall to know is that despite the rantings of how great you think your defense is... it still hasn't been proven. It wasn't proven last year and this year hasn't happened yet. Until I see otherwise, I'll just say "oh same old mafia noise" :swink:

But MikeB, your response and opinion is mute, cause you said the same thing last year about Jimmy O. That he was an unproven player and that you didnt see anything special about him.

But MikeB, your response and opinion is mute, cause you said the same thing last year about Jimmy O. That he was an unproven player and that you didnt see anything special about him.

He never impressed me... not even in the SCG. He had a decent game but his numbers weren't mindboggling. The difference really was the turnovers...a lot of them virtually unforced. He had 1 decent game out of 3 against us...but don't forget his record against GSU will always be 1-2.

Yall think your defense will be dominant... I doubt it but we'll find out on Sept 20th or whenever it is we play yall. I'll have to check with someone from Jackson...yall keep up with that game more than we do. Will you be making the Trail of Tears ride this year?

Didnt Jimmy win two State JUCO Championships before he came to JSU I dont care how he looks as long as he wins Championships! Thats all that matter is the W!

He never impressed me... not even in the SCG. He had a decent game but his numbers weren't mindboggling. The difference really was the turnovers...a lot of them virtually unforced. He had 1 decent game out of 3 against us...but don't forget his record against GSU will always be 1-2.

Yall think your defense will be dominant... I doubt it but we'll find out on Sept 20th or whenever it is we play yall. I'll have to check with someone from Jackson...yall keep up with that game more than we do. Will you be making the Trail of Tears ride this year?

MikeB, remember this is the internet and after the SCG you posted totally different responses than you posted now about Jimmy. I really dont care what his record is just as long as he won the most important one in December.

I just may take the ride to the Hole this year.

Pull em up Beans... I don't even try to remember what I post from two minutes ago, much less 7 months ago. I do know that I was never impressed with Oliver, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a good player. I just didn't think he was a true qb but a guy that could play the position. I felt the same about Randy Hymes at Grambling and he won a helluva lot of games for us.

At 60 percent, our defense is still better than most defenses in the SWAC. Penalties are correctable. You can teach folks discipline over time, but you can't force a man to be talented where he has none.

MikeB, remember this is the internet and after the SCG you posted totally different responses than you posted now about Jimmy. I really dont care what his record is just as long as he won the most important one in December.

I just may take the ride to the Hole this year.

MB lost a lot of credibility when Oliver proved him wrong. In two short years, Oliver did what eight SWAC QB's couldn't do.....he won the SCG.:tup:

He amassed more than 500 total yards against AAMU. He beat SU twice, he beat MH's Bama State twice, yet folks still doubted him. In the end, Oliver proved wrong the naysayers and brought home the first Eddie Robinson trophy against his former school.:tup:

MB lost a lot of credibility when Oliver proved him wrong. In two short years, Oliver did what eight SWAC QB's couldn't do.....he won the SCG.:tup:

He amassed more than 500 total yards against AAMU. He beat SU twice, he beat MH's Bama State twice, yet folks still doubted him. In the end, Oliver proved wrong the naysayers and brought home the first Eddie Robinson trophy against his former school.:tup:

How did I lose credibility when I doubted his ability? Apparently Comegy doubted him too...did he lose credibility. What 8 SWAC qb's are you talking about? Robert Kent is waaaaay better than Oliver and he never won a SCG... he just happen to be in the seat. You really just post sometimes to take up space, don't you. No offense, but you come up with some of the most off the wall crap.

Seriously, I bet a lot of folk (from JSU) also would agree that Oliver is the least talented qb yall have had (other than Haren). No knock on him but he really was marginal at best. But he was able to win and that's good for him.

But this thread (well my comments) was about this year's 2008 defense. It was good last year, but not so much so that I'm concerned that it will cause us major problems. Last year, I saw some kinks in the armor...surely some of your fans can say the same about ours. But at least they come with sensible comments and not just saying things to argue a point. Man, learn to debate...JSU prepares it's folk better than what you show. No offense...I didn't even reference the drunken monkey (well, just then but that doesn't count).

To the Rest of Yall... Good chatting with ya. Wasn't trying to put down yall's win or how you feel about your team. I just think yall's defense wasn't the best we faced last year...just one man's opinion.

How did I lose credibility when I doubted his ability? Apparently Comegy doubted him too...did he lose credibility. What 8 SWAC qb's are you talking about? Robert Kent is waaaaay better than Oliver and he never won a SCG... he just happen to be in the seat. You really just post sometimes to take up space, don't you. No offense, but you come up with some of the most off the wall crap.

Seriously, I bet a lot of folk (from JSU) also would agree that Oliver is the least talented qb yall have had (other than Haren). No knock on him but he really was marginal at best. But he was able to win and that's good for him.

But this thread (well my comments) was about this year's 2008 defense. It was good last year, but not so much so that I'm concerned that it will cause us major problems. Last year, I saw some kinks in the armor...surely some of your fans can say the same about ours. But at least they come with sensible comments and not just saying things to argue a point. Man, learn to debate...JSU prepares it's folk better than what you show. No offense...I didn't even reference the drunken monkey (well, just then but that doesn't count).

To the Rest of Yall... Good chatting with ya. Wasn't trying to put down yall's win or how you feel about your team. I just think yall's defense wasn't the best we faced last year...just one man's opinion.

Opinion OF OTHERS is not a Mafia strong suit.

[B said:
MikeBigg[/B];1495715]How did I lose credibility when I doubted his ability? Apparently Comegy doubted him too...did he lose credibility. What 8 SWAC qb's are you talking about? Robert Kent is waaaaay better than Oliver and he never won a SCG... QUOTE}

I really would like to hear this from you guys me and my boy Jarvis from Memphis were talkin bout who is better JSU quarterback Robert Kent or Jimmy Oliver and he made a valid point Robert was a good qb, great arm strength had a the tools to be a NFL quarterback! Jimmy Oliver aka Magic Man aka Prison No.1243278DSJG:lmao: has no arm strength listed at 6,0 160 (AND if u ever meet him u would swear he was that tall) plus he hates to practice but at game time he shines and makes everyone around him GREAT plus he has done what Robert Kent hasnt and dats WIN

J.O and Robert Kent had the same receiving core around them both but the difference is J.O won Robert Kent aint do isht for JSU and I am talking bout before Bell got there! So with that said I would take Jimmy all day he made plays with his feet got the ball to the playmakers and HE WON GAMES

So which would u rather have a qb that chokes or someone who has a ring? How do u judge a good qb? Jus a general question!

They were both winners in my book. Kent never really had a strong defense to go along with his offense. He had flaws but he won 27 games. He was not coached up right his last year but he was a winner. So happens he played when Bruce came along and nobody was outshinning him at the time.

Jimmy is and was a winner but he had issues to. I wouldn't take anybody for either one.

You rate QB's on winning and winning the right way. They both did this. Kent was a great Student Athlete who did well in class and continue to play after JSU.

Oliver restored us to Champions.

I love them both the same. JSU

They were both winners in my book. Kent never really had a strong defense to go along with his offense. He had flaws but he won 27 games. He was not coached up right his last year but he was a winner. So happens he played when Bruce came along and nobody was outshinning him at the time.

Jimmy is and was a winner but he had issues to. I wouldn't take anybody for either one.

You rate QB's on winning and winning the right way. They both did this. Kent was a great Student Athlete who did well in class and continue to play after JSU.

Well said.:tup:
Plus Kent had an equipment manager as head coach, whereas Oliver was blessed to have a REAL coach and tutor under Comegy.

Right! If we had the defense back then that we have now, I believe Kent would have won a title. He committed mistakes (fumbles and INTs) just like Oliver, but our defense bailed Oliver out alot of times too. Kent passed for just as many yards as Oliver, but what good is that if the defense couldnt stop too many people.

Oliver was a great athlete playing QB. He had no ability to throw the deep ball, but he was accurate with short passes and was very dangerous running the ball. His turnovers came while scrambling around or trying to throw a ball that required arm strength. Kent had a strong arm, he was a leader, and was a better QB, but not a better athlete, and he was never taught to read defenses, especially zones, under Hughes. If Kent had a good coach, he would have won a championship.

yEA UR RIGHT!:tup:

Which is better... Easy, put them on the same team with the same coach, regardless of who's the coach and Kent starts and Oliver moves to slot (like TC Vick). But that's just my opinion...

Which is better... Easy, put them on the same team with the same coach, regardless of who's the coach and Kent starts and Oliver moves to slot (like TC Vick). But that's just my opinion...

MikeB, Oliver is too slow to move to slot. He may have been #2 behind Kent, but he definitely could not play WR because of his slowness.

For those having trouble on your pass blocking.........

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

Faster, stronger Washington boosts Tigers' front four

Marcus Benard will never be described as shy.

You can hear him barking on the field, shouting in the locker room ... he probably even talks in his sleep.

So, it's no surprise when the Jackson State defensive end goes on a diatribe after being asked about his teammate on the opposite end of the line, Sam Washington.

"I feel sorry for teams, really," Benard said about the JSU pass rush off the ends. "Sam, he's a lot faster this year. A lot leaner. It's going to be tragic for a lot of quarterbacks." :uhoh:

Benard isn't the only one who has noticed a stark difference in Washington.

Rest story

For those having trouble in the rain...........

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..................

Tigers hit field for full workout in spite of rain

Pouring rains may have stopped Jackson State from practicing Monday, but coach Rick Comegy wasn't having it again.

Despite heavy morning showers, the Tigers took the field Tuesday and went through a full practice. The only phase left out was a kicking period.

"I was a little afraid of guys getting sick," Comegy said, "but I think we were a little sluggish coming in, feeling sorry for themselves, that camp-itis. We needed a change.

"I don't want them ever to feel we can't do something."

Comegy was concerned over a couple players coming into Tuesday morning meetings a little late. Freshman defensive back J.R. Boone was punished by repeatedly having to flip an oversized truck tire with strength and conditioning coach Derek Scott during practice.

Coaches, players and trainers were soaked from head to toe by the time the workout concluded. Several players could be heard shouting, possibly singing, in the rain outside Comegy's office several minutes after practice concluded.

Rest story

Re: For those having trouble on your pass blocking.........

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!

Faster, stronger Washington boosts Tigers' front four

Marcus Benard will never be described as shy.

You can hear him barking on the field, shouting in the locker room ... he probably even talks in his sleep.

So, it's no surprise when the Jackson State defensive end goes on a diatribe after being asked about his teammate on the opposite end of the line, Sam Washington.

"I feel sorry for teams, really," Benard said about the JSU pass rush off the ends. "Sam, he's a lot faster this year. A lot leaner. It's going to be tragic for a lot of quarterbacks." :uhoh:

Benard isn't the only one who has noticed a stark difference in Washington.

Rest story

Those inexperienced QB's are already behind the eight ball.:smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back