Jackson State Football Notes: 2008-Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you guys are really defensive...not your team but these posters. Now I wasn't trying to smack...but letting you know that your ballyhooed defense ain't all that yall project it to be. This has nothing to do with Gram's defense or lack thereof...but our defense actually outplayed yours last year. Our problem near the end was depth and just plain azz fatigue.

Your corner didn't shut down Clyde... Landers just had an awful game and threw to some wide open defenders.

Beans our offense is currently a work in progress... partly due to guys at the qb position that didn't go through spring ball. Also got a lot of newcomers on the offensive line... they have talent but at this stage defense is always ahead of the offense. Especially when the defense is returning something like 7 or 8 starters. You guys need to be a bit concerned that your defense (whether starters or subs) are giving up long runs and touchdowns to the offense this early in fall camp.

Time will tell... I tried to warn yall.

Man you guys are really defensive...not your team but these posters. Now I wasn't trying to smack...but letting you know that your ballyhooed defense ain't all that yall project it to be. This has nothing to do with Gram's defense or lack thereof...but our defense actually outplayed yours last year. Our problem near the end was depth and just plain azz fatigue.

Your corner didn't shut down Clyde... Landers just had an awful game and threw to some wide open defenders.

Beans our offense is currently a work in progress... partly due to guys at the qb position that didn't go through spring ball. Also got a lot of newcomers on the offensive line... they have talent but at this stage defense is always ahead of the offense. Especially when the defense is returning something like 7 or 8 starters. You guys need to be a bit concerned that your defense (whether starters or subs) are giving up long runs and touchdowns to the offense this early in fall camp.

Biggs, I'm not being defensive Im just trying to help you understand. There is nothing wrong with our defense. Yeah, last year we were running schemes that wasnt the best and when people found our weakness is that DB and safety, our schemes didnt do anything to hide it or rectify it. Hayes just continued to let those weakness go exposed until the SCG where he camouflaged it. Our defense will be much more stronger this year and hopefully much more disciplined. That is the only reason alot of teams stayed in the game because of our penalties and not really our personnel. Be truthful. We're not concerned one bit with the defense. Comegy will have them boys spitting fire, I'm warning you.

Now, you all truly need to be concerned about your offense and defense, cause as I sat and watched the 1st game in Memorial on DVR, I didnt see anything highlighted from your defense. You all should thank God that Clyde caught those miraclous catches (especially the one in the endzone) that he did or it would be a different story. You know our guy was right there but Clyde just wanted it more, I guess. But, your offense is truly struggling and these QBs probably wont have it together until about the 3-4 game in the season (ex. 2006 Jimmy Oliver and Woody)............You have been warned.

I agree with u on some stuff but not everything this weekend was actually the first time the defense slacked up! When u have a second string offense against a second string defense what do u expect!

You're right Landers had a horrible game but our defensive scheme was way better than before! Give Credit where it is due! Landers had a bad game because he had pressure in his face all day due to our front four whom all but but Brooks is returning!Thats why I say the Defense is the least of our worries!

U KNOW WHAT I THINK U THINK WE WEAK OR SUMTIN IS THAT WHAT U TRYING TO SAY!!!!!!!!:lmao::lmao: LOL J/K

Okay. Not defensive just giving you a heads up.

Biggs are you reading the articles. None of the big plays are on the First team defense. Those are in 7 on 7 drills and against the second team defense. I mean check the articles out yourself.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MB. Just watched SU-JSU 07 on Saturday and even though SU didn't do a lot against them running the ball, we had our way with them passing until Lee went out. That was Clevan White's coming out party. Unfortunately, the second half, J-State's running game wore us down and Oliver made plays (both of which are gone), but we still snapped off 26 points against the Darkside.

We have that depth back, but J-State should be good defensively. Offense .... no comment at this point.

Feel free to send me a tape if you want to. :D

We agree with you and MB. We had the number one defense in the SWAC but that was moreso because we bend but don't break. Like you, I would prefer a "shut down" defense. Our DC is like Bell. He likes to play his system regardless of the personnel. Therefore, we installed his system and he is plugging in the holes as talent comes along. With the talent we have, people should not have been crossing the 50. Also, he is not very big on zone but he did have to modify his coverages to fit 1-AA style of play and he has been learning how to coach it better. I am assuming that in D2, the QB-WR play was not as agressive/good as it is in the SWAC. He is primarily used to stopping the run. We give up way too many points but with the personnel we have this year and the familiarity our guys have with the system, we hope to cut down on that greatly!

THIS is year three!!!!!!!!

but letting you know that your ballyhooed defense ain't all that yall project it to be. This has nothing to do with Gram's defense or lack thereof...but our defense actually outplayed yours last year. Our problem near the end was depth and just plain azz fatigue.

they have talent but at this stage defense is always ahead of the offense. Especially when the defense is returning something like 7 or 8 starters. You guys need to be a bit concerned that your defense (whether starters or subs) are giving up long runs and touchdowns to the offense this early in fall camp.

Actually MB not everyone is completely sold on the defense, I know I'm not. Giving up that many points a game dont fly to well with me but also I saw first hand how they gave up as many points as they did and it was mostly due to PENALTIES which kept opponents drives going, if not for that most games wouldnt have been close. Also our defense has been dominating our offense the entire preseason camp, the offense just recently started making a couple of plays and as you can see below it wasnt against the first string:

-Most of the big offensive plays didn't come against the No. 1 defense.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/p...8-792d55d5668d&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

Also the Pine Bluff Game and the SCG were the only two times I saw our defense at their full potential, a couple of bad calls by the Refs(that led to two touchdowns by gram) kept you guys in the SCG game much longer than it should have been.

Nasty, TP, and Shaw; MikeB just dont want to understand. Our defense really dominated alot of games, but because they were undiscipline, it lead to some drives being kept alive and some scores. They eventually wore their ownselves down by committing crazy penalities and staying out there on the field.

Nasty, TP, and Shaw; MikeB just dont want to understand. Our defense really dominated alot of games, but because they were undiscipline, it lead to some drives being kept alive and some scores. They eventually wore their ownselves down by committing crazy penalities and staying out there on the field.

Whatever the reason... I'm not knocking your personnel. JSU always has good talent...especially linebackers. I have posted that so many times people might start thinking I'm repping JSU (NEVER). But the things you mentioned, bad schemes, undiscipline play, penalties is something that coaches (opposing coaches) see also. I'm sure Spady sees it...and trust me folk, Spady is a good coach.

We are so young up front it's almost ridiculous... Broadway knows that and he's not offering up any excuses nor do we plan to use it as an excuse this year. But here's the deal... We return a lot of guys on defense and Yoshida is a defensive guru. Broadway has him turning it loose against the offense because he knows other folk ain't gonna allow for their youth. We got to get ready for Nevada who returns a lot...they don't care about us being young.

That offense has some surprises for folk... but two things you can count on for sure to see in a heavy dosage. Warren & Walker... but there's another running back/slot guy who will be wearing #5. The same number as the last two JSU Killers (Tramon Douglas & Clyde Edwards)... this kid might turn out to be better than both. But he has to show it on the field... I think he will.

http://jsutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081008aaa.html

JACKSON, Miss. - The Jackson State football team had its first scrimmage of the preseason Saturday afternoon at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium. The practice lasted just over two hours on a pleasantly mild summer day.

One day after having the team's first practice in full pads, both the JSU offense and defense showed signs of good things to come during the 2008 season.

Highlights of the day include: During goal line drills Marcel Frost caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Michael Mosley. In 7-on-7 drills freshman quarterback Dedric McDonald connected with transfer Bloi-Dei Dorzon on a swing pass that went 60-yards.

During the actual scrimmage, both the first and second team offenses moved the ball pretty well on the Tigers defense, although the JSU first unit did not allow a TD.

If we can correct PENALTIES, this defense will be the shutdown defense we keep speaking of.

Whatever the reason... I'm not knocking your personnel. JSU always has good talent...especially linebackers. I have posted that so many times people might start thinking I'm repping JSU (NEVER). But the things you mentioned, bad schemes, undiscipline play, penalties is something that coaches (opposing coaches) see also. I'm sure Spady sees it...and trust me folk, Spady is a good coach.

We are so young up front it's almost ridiculous... Broadway knows that and he's not offering up any excuses nor do we plan to use it as an excuse this year. But here's the deal... We return a lot of guys on defense and Yoshida is a defensive guru. Broadway has him turning it loose against the offense because he knows other folk ain't gonna allow for their youth. We got to get ready for Nevada who returns a lot...they don't care about us being young.

That offense has some surprises for folk... but two things you can count on for sure to see in a heavy dosage. Warren & Walker... but there's another running back/slot guy who will be wearing #5. The same number as the last two JSU Killers (Tramon Douglas & Clyde Edwards)... this kid might turn out to be better than both. But he has to show it on the field... I think he will.

You guys had a pretty good RUN defense

I think the days of "shut-down D" are gone due to the spread that most offenses employ now. You'd have to have some terrific student-athletes 2-deep @ every position that will bring it 100% of the time to have something like that @ this day and age in time.

Good luck JState. :tup: I sure would like for PV to play you guys this fall. :read: We have a damned good capable team.

:lol: You two just keep condoling each other just as long as the Darkside keep doing what it does to help win. See, we (Mafia) know that alot of what you all saw had to do with schemes (which most was rectified by SCG time). But like I said earlier, those DBs that every team was picking on last year are gone and now we have this guy on one side............

and this guy on the other side: Cornerback Jeremy Pierce

Landry was catching passes infront of Domonique too in that game. (see SU TD Number Two ... slant pattern to Landry in front of Johnson)

Camp was on the other side until the 23 yard pass to Landry to put SU up at the half. And why do we have to be "condoling" each other to notice the same thing? Y'all never covered Coates coming out of the backfield (Touchdown Number One) and White tore your LB's over the middle with nine catches I believe for over 100 yards.

Grams ran you to sleep the next week. We passed and didn't get the luxury of JSU mistakes in the second half like GSU did.

All that said, I still think your defense is gonna be pretty good this year.

I think the days of "shut-down D" are gone due to the spread that most offenses employ now. You'd have to have some terrific student-athletes 2-deep @ every position that will bring it 100% of the time to have something like that @ this day and age in time.

Good luck JState. :tup: I sure would like for PV to play you guys this fall. :read: We have a damned good capable team.

Shut down defenses still exist but you are right, you would need great talent and coaching to achieve it (all of which is relative to the coaching and talent that you are playing and coaching against :lecture:)

Landry was catching passes infront of Domonique too in that game. (see SU TD Number Two ... slant pattern to Landry in front of Johnson)

Camp was on the other side until the 23 yard pass to Landry to put SU up at the half. And why do we have to be "condoling" each other to notice the same thing? Y'all never covered Coates coming out of the backfield (Touchdown Number One) and White tore your LB's over the middle with nine catches I believe for over 100 yards.

Grams ran you to sleep the next week. We passed and didn't get the luxury of JSU mistakes in the second half like GSU did.

Unlike a lot of fans, I never had a problem with Camp and obviously, neither did the coaches. He may not have been the fastest but he was rarely out of position and you can't discount that. All of the speed in the world won't matter if you are out of position to make a play.

...oh and BY far, we have the most talented defense in BCF this year.

Camp was on the other side until the 23 yard pass to Landry to put SU up at the half.

Basicly that is proving my point, which you already agreed that we would have a good Defense, thats if this defense controls the penalties, teams wouldnt be close to us during the games. The defense did their thing in the second half against SU and the outcome was only one TD being scored by you guys in the second half. Thank God for those 4 turnovers in the first half or that game could have gotten ugly really quick. The only thing I saw that you guys possessed over us was DISCIPLINE and Bryant Lee rarely makes mistakes or throws an interception. So with us being mistake and discipline PRONED and yall being basically mistake free and discipline as heyal, the game was much closer than it should have been but that is the reason why everthing is played on the field. You guys did have one of the better offenses last season though.

You guys had a pretty good RUN defense

The pass defense was pretty good early in the seaon...when we were getting a good push up the middle from Banks and Matthews the two DT's. Our first year LDE, Christian Anthony lead us in sacks because he really brought it off the corner...but Banks and Matthews gave a good push and flushed qb's early. Scoggins the other DE gave a good push from the strong side and that protected our db's. Once that push got nullified late in the season, folks made the throws needed to keep the chains moving. In the SCG, Oliver scrambled and made some plays... we would have been better keeping him in the pocket. When he improvised he was either ****ty or shiny... against us in the SCG, he was shiny!!!!!

What you and many others fail to realize though is that the offense last year had a NACK for turning the ball over...4 UNFORCED turnovers helped you guys get those 26 points, other than that I only saw 2 legitimate drives from you guys the whole game. The thing that also killed us a lot in games were penalties, if not for those two things a lot of teams we played wouldnt have had a chance, seriously. This defense is very physical and the one weakness at CB is gone.

Excellent points ND. This also happened against PV and Southern (3 first half interceptions's). If we cut down on our penalties by 30-40 percent, it will be very difficult to score on that defense.

The pass defense was pretty good early in the seaon...when we were getting a good push up the middle from Banks and Matthews the two DT's. Our first year LDE, Christian Anthony lead us in sacks because he really brought it off the corner...but Banks and Matthews gave a good push and flushed qb's early. Scoggins the other DE gave a good push from the strong side and that protected our db's. Once that push got nullified late in the season, folks made the throws needed to keep the chains moving. In the SCG, Oliver scrambled and made some plays... we would have been better keeping him in the pocket. When he improvised he was either ****ty or shiny... against us in the SCG, he was shiny!!!!!

I Agree somewhat, because in the game at the Vet he was sort of ****ty when he improvised, he was the same way the first half of the SU game, and like that in the 4th quarter of the A&M game etc. The offense turning the ball over and Penalties are what kept teams in the game much longer than usual. Thats also why the beatdowns that were displayed in stats didnt reflect the score put on the scoreboard as well as why sorry teams werent blown out and why we had two swac losses.
I didnt see you guys earlier in the season but i know you guys stuffed the RUN pretty good the first time we played but we were always able to pass though

I thought our best cover guy actually played safety, DeMichael Dizer. He had some groin injury problems after the PV game and it hampered his playing time and performance. His absence exposed some coverage problems we had in Yoshida's zone coverage. Zone coverages are exposed when the pressure isn't there...(as any coverage is really).:lmao:

Excellent points ND. This also happened against PV and Southern (3 first half interceptions's). If we cut down on our penalties by 30-40 percent, it will be very difficult to score on that defense.

Damn it's about time someone other than 2-3 others from JState told the truth about the defense (and offense @ certain times). <b>Undisciplined</b> and making unforced errors/mistakes that would sustain opposition drives.

I'd never state that JState didn't have any talent because that's awfully false. JSU has <b>terrific</b> student-athletes. :| But as a <b>team</b>, they were very undisciplined. :(

Damn it's about time someone other than 2-3 others from JState told the truth about the defense (and offense @ certain times). <b>Undisciplined</b> and making unforced errors/mistakes that would sustain opposition drives.

I'd never state that JState didn't have any talent because that's awfully false. JSU has <b>terrific</b> student-athletes. :| But as a <b>team</b>, they were very undisciplined. :(

That was last year, yet out of all that, we still won the SWAC. It's highly unlikey that the defense will average that many penalties again.

Unlike a lot of fans, I never had a problem with Camp and obviously, neither did the coaches. He may not have been the fastest but he was rarely out of position and you can't discount that. All of the speed in the world won't matter if you are out of position to make a play.

...oh and BY far, we have the most talented defense in BCF this year.

Camp wasnt the problem last year!:smh:

That was last year, yet out of all that, we still won the SWAC. It's highly unlikey that the defense will average that many penalties again.

I think this is a new realm PV will encounter. They're very, very aggressive and everyone wants to lay the big lick. :read:

I <b>expect</b> some late hits or unsportsmanlike conducts due to the aggressive attacks I've seen thusfar. This group isn't bs'ing when they get to the ball and their attitude stinks when they get there. :read:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back