Jackson State Football Notes: 2008-Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson State football fans got their first glimpse of their defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champions in live action Saturday. The Tigers held a scrimmage on their practice field, starting just after 2:30 p.m.
The first 45 minutes of the workout was stomach-turning for the offense - getting called for six penalties, allowing two safeties, two fumbles and completing just three passes.
The offensive line kept lining up in the neutral zone and didn't give much time for its quarterbacks. Incomplete passes piled up. The center-quarterback exchange was an adventure. Even usually automatic kicker Eric Perri struggled with extra points.
"Too many flags hit the floor today," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "I'm so glad the officials pointed out some things. It was good to happen now."
The plus side is the play got better as the day went on. The offensive line was better near the goal line. Freshman wide receiver Marsellos Wilder made a couple big plays, including a touchdown catch from Michael Mosley. Anthony Mayes caught a touchdown pass from Domonick Britt. Quarterback Tray Rutland ran for a touchdown from about 15 yards out and hooked up with Carlos Simpson for 68 yards. Freshman running backs Teravious Mitchell and Demario Pippen both scored on the ground.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080817/SPORTS030101/808170381/1073

If I'm one of the other schools, I wouldn't take much heart in what was posted above. Our D is the most talented our O will face all year - especially along the D-line.

Jackson State football fans got their first glimpse of their defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champions in live action Saturday. The Tigers held a scrimmage on their practice field, starting just after 2:30 p.m.
The first 45 minutes of the workout was stomach-turning for the offense - getting called for six penalties, allowing two safeties, two fumbles and completing just three passes.
The offensive line kept lining up in the neutral zone and didn't give much time for its quarterbacks. Incomplete passes piled up. The center-quarterback exchange was an adventure. Even usually automatic kicker Eric Perri struggled with extra points.
"Too many flags hit the floor today," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "I'm so glad the officials pointed out some things. It was good to happen now."

and yall worried about what is going on at AAMU ROTFLMAO

Laugh now. I'd rather have my defense dominating than my QB throwing 6 TDs in 2 quarters. Laugh it up. Won't save you from the Mighty Tigers on game day.

Funny you didn't mention that those errors are correctable, unlike an inexperienced QB and defense.

But these are the same "correctable" errors every year.:confused: All some of you have talked about is how penalities kept games close last year. I hope you guys realize the offenses and defenses you played last year are better.

Laugh now. I'd rather have my defense dominating than my QB throwing 6 TDs in 2 quarters. Laugh it up. Won't save you from the Mighty Tigers on game day.

Robber... yall JSU folks kill me.... when the offense doesnt score 6 touchdowns you say the offense is bad.... when they do you say the defense is bad.

Let me break it down to you how the scrimmage was.... Maroon team was people who will play this year on the regular... White team was 3rd and 4th team. Maroon team won 58-6 like they were suppose to. Offense scored 8 touchdowns.... defense wasnt scored on.

But these are the same "correctable" errors every year.:confused: All some of you have talked about is how penalities kept games close last year. I hope you guys realize the offenses and defenses you played last year are better.

Those weren't the kind of errors we were making last year. Lining up in the neutral zone is not that difficult to correct. It was the defense that was making a lot of errors by being overly aggressive.

Those weren't the kind of errors we were making last year. Lining up in the neutral zone is not that difficult to correct. It was the defense that was making a lot of errors by being overly aggressive.

what about the completing 3 passes in the first 45 minutes? Thats right about where Trae Rutlands average was from last year.

I saw that myself, sometimes JSU got called for it sometimes JSU didn't.

SCRIMMAGES DON'T MEAN A THING. COACHES REALLY HOLD BACK THIER SO CALLED BETTER PLAYERS, PLAY BOOK IS HALF COMPLETE AND CONDITIONING IS STILL EMPHASIZED. ANSWERS WILL COME IN TWO WEEKS. STILL A TOSS UP.!!!!!

SCRIMMAGES DON'T MEAN A THING. COACHES REALLY HOLD BACK THIER SO CALLED BETTER PLAYERS, PLAY BOOK IS HALF COMPLETE AND CONDITIONING IS STILL EMPHASIZED. ANSWERS WILL COME IN TWO WEEKS. STILL A TOSS UP.!!!!!

lol...so when its a JSU scrimmage it doesnt mean a thing, but an AAMU scrimmage is different?

all yall IGGAS are so "sometimey"

WHICH TEAMS ARE GOING TO BE BETTER?

I noticed that it shole was quiet on tspn this morning..........

The offensive line kept lining up in the neutral zone and didn't give much time for its quarterbacks. Incomplete passes piled up. The center-quarterback exchange was an adventure. Even usually automatic kicker Eric Perri struggled with extra points
now I see why

oh well......

CONTINUED:

"The plus side is the play got better as the day went on. The offensive line was better near the goal line. Freshman wide receiver Marsellos Wilder made a couple big plays, including a touchdown catch from Michael Mosley. Anthony Mayes caught a touchdown pass from Domonick Britt. Quarterback Tray Rutland ran for a touchdown from about 15 yards out and hooked up with Carlos Simpson for 68 yards. Freshman running backs Teravious Mitchell and Demario Pippen both scored on the ground."

WE WILL BE JUST FINE

We all know that the defense is ahead of the offense at this time of the year but DAMN!!! That's just a piss poor offensive line! How many returning OL did J-State bring back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back