Jackson State Football Notes: 2008-Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
These is evidence of being "stockpiled":

Smith, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound senior, returns to a somewhat awkward situation. He was the guy at his position before getting hurt. Then Malcolm Palmer stepped in as a sophomore and racked up 68 tackles (third on the team), 2 1/2 sacks and four interceptions (tied for fourth in the league). The effort earned him 2008 preseason first-team All-SWAC honors.

Can't take that guy off the field.

So Smith sits in the midst of a logjam with Palmer and sophomore Ryan Rich, who has gotten high praise from coaches, as individuals who have the credentials to be on the field.

There's just one small problem - they all play the same position.

"He's got to be out on the field," JSU coach Rick Comegy said about Smith. "And we've got to find a way to play him (a lot) and put our best football team on the field.

"We've got to find a way to play (all three of) those guys.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080802/SPORTS030101/808020325/1073

LS

Are you saying that one of our best and smartest defenders didnt even see the field last year? Damn....is that right....is that fair?

Shole didn't, GR. And we didn't even notice it. That's what being stockpiled with talent will do for you.

Our top WR missed most of last season, but our 2nd best picked up the slack and left us to join the Vikings.

Our best TE missed all of last season, but I forgot all about him when his backup stepped and kept finding a way to get open (ask Grambling).

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080807/SPORTS030101/808070340/1073

August 7, 2008

Putting on pads brings out beast in JSU defense

Kareem Copeland
kareemcopeland@clarionledger.com

Jackson State took the football field in shoulder pads for the first time of preseason camp Wednesday. And the defense was more than appreciative.

The unit looked like it couldn't wait to hit someone despite orders not to tackle to the ground - to just wrap up. Those instructions never really set in as running backs and wide receivers were popped repeatedly throughout the day. Defensive end Sam Washington and outside linebacker Ryan Rich had the hits of the day during an inside running drill.

"Defensively, if you're not striking somebody, practice is not the same," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "Defense always has that extra flow about them when they think they're going to hit somebody and do their craft."

My cousins is a grad assistant with the special teams! He said they have some talent out there for real this year!

Running Backs we have three guys who could possibly start to atleast keep the ship moving! Qbs you're right we don't have that "Number One Guy" atleast not right now but hopefully Rutland or Mosley will prove as the leader of the pack so we wont go thru the 3 game quarterback controversy like we did last year! Damm Woody! But Defense is on another planet we have serious dept!

Running Backs we have three guys who could possibly start to atleast keep the ship moving! Qbs you're right we don't have that "Number One Guy" atleast not right now but hopefully Rutland or Mosley will prove as the leader of the pack so we wont go thru the 3 game quarterback controversy like we did last year! Damm Woody! But Defense is on another planet we have serious dept!

uuuh 04...GR is a big Woody fan. Watch it

For the Anti-JSU Coalition............

Transfer QB Mosley takes turn with 1st unit

Quarterback Tray Rutland was held out of practice Thursday after receiving IV fluids following a humid Wednesday practice in which several players struggled with the heat. Rutland was at practice, but watched from the side.

Louisiana transfer Michael Mosley took all of the snaps during group drills, snapping off laser-like passes at times, but also misreading routes. The 6-foot-3, 225-pound right-hander commanded the huddle and didn't hesitate to raise his voice when appropriate.

Mosley had been working with the No. 2 unit while Rutland ran with the starters.

"Mike's a good heady quarterback," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "Nothing bothers him. He's cool and calm and goes about his job.

"He's competing for the starting job with a lot of grace."

Rest story

Running Backs we have three guys who could possibly start to atleast keep the ship moving! Qbs you're right we don't have that "Number One Guy" atleast not right now but hopefully Rutland or Mosley will prove as the leader of the pack so we wont go thru the 3 game quarterback controversy like we did last year! Damm Woody! But Defense is on another planet we have serious depth!

lol. shut up 04. man we ain't got nothin'. dayum hayes and woody!

This is what I like to hear....defense. Some schools focus on offense, but I love it at JSU when we have that strong physical defense.

uuuh 04...GR is a big Woody fan. Watch it

We are gonna see how good Woody is for real this year with a totally new QB and some new WRs and a new RB! We dont have time for trial and error once the season starts like last year give the QB job to the best man! Now when we win the SWAC again and start blowing teams out by 50 then I might lay off him a bit! But until then Dayum Woody Campaign is in full swing! :swink:

We are gonna see how good Woody is for real this year with a totally new QB and some new WRs and a new RB!
I thought JSU had #29 (RB) and #18 (WR) returning but after I read your post and looked at that SWAC preview deal I saw that they've graduated. Man, that is tough losing all of your skill players and tight end on offense. How many starters on the offensive line are returning? Very similar situation at Grambling with the G-Men losing their wide receivers and QB.

Chris Johnson #18 WR signed free agent with the Bills and #29 Giles is gone to Jville! Oline is solid! But as I have heard from my closes sources we have some guys who can step in at RB.........Everything else on offense will take time and practice!

Our top WR missed most of last season, but our 2nd best picked up the slack and left us to join the Vikings.

Is he still with the Vikings? I know the Vikings have one final spot available and hear that they are also high on another reciever.

I thought JSU had #29 (RB) and #18 (WR) returning but after I read your post and looked at that SWAC preview deal I saw that they've graduated. Man, that is tough losing all of your skill players and tight end on offense. How many starters on the offensive line are returning? Very similar situation at Grambling with the G-Men losing their wide receivers and QB.

We didn't lose our TE. We played a Fr TE last year and he caught a TD in the SCG. 2006 starter Sr Marcel Frost (Ohio State transfer) was injured last year in pre-season camp so he will be back. The o-line is a question mark. I thought we had 4 returning starters....we still might but this group is still pretty decent. WRs, we STILL have Carlos Simpson, 2006 starter Kethone McLaurin back after in injury, Rodney Gray (USM transfer) returning. We also brought in some JUCO transfers from the same bloodline as Chris Johnson. We also look pretty good at QB. We just need this time to get them in sync with the QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back