Jackson State Football Notes: 2008-Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't lose our TE. We played a Fr TE last year and he caught a TD in the SCG. 2006 starter Sr Marcel Frost (Ohio State transfer) was injured last year in pre-season camp so he will be back. The o-line is a question mark. I thought we had 4 returning starters....we still might but this group is still pretty decent. WRs, we STILL have Carlos Simpson, 2006 starter Kethone McLaurin back after in injury, Rodney Gray (USM transfer) returning. We also brought in some JUCO transfers from the same bloodline as Chris Johnson. We also look pretty good at QB. We just need this time to get them in sync with the QB's.

Carlos Simpsom caught the most passes last season so he is our top possesion WR and he is back as TP state and Gray was and starter all season so we still have two starters and two former starters at WR. Really the RB position is the only one without experience.

We didn't lose our TE. We played a Fr TE last year and he caught a TD in the SCG. 2006 starter Sr Marcel Frost (Ohio State transfer) was injured last year in pre-season camp so he will be back. The o-line is a question mark. I thought we had 4 returning starters....we still might but this group is still pretty decent. WRs, we STILL have Carlos Simpson, 2006 starter Kethone McLaurin back after in injury, Rodney Gray (USM transfer) returning. We also brought in some JUCO transfers from the same bloodline as Chris Johnson. We also look pretty good at QB. We just need this time to get them in sync with the QB's.

Oline are all returning plus we have some JUCO guys in at online as well Zo Breland was te only senior last year he was our center. Receivers i have no idea what them boys gonna gonna look like Gray has got to step up!

You're right. I read over the JSU section of the preview again and it says 4 starters on the offensive line return.

Of those 4 that are returning only 2 will start this year. Redshirt freshmen will replace them... One is not on the two deep chart at this time... the other may not be by the end of camp!

Overall, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I think ole' Panthro was right. This is gonna be a very competitive season. While most teams seem to have 6 or 7 starters coming back on the defensive side of the ball it seems like some teams (i.e. GSU, JSU, AAMU, SU and ASU) have holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball. With Bobby Reid coming in at Texas Southern to start at QB, 6 out of the SWAC's 10 teams will have new starting QBs this season.

Friday's practice...
Posted 8/8/2008

... and the offense awakens!

By far the best offensive day yet.

Michael Mosley hit a streaking Marcellus Wilder for a 60-yard touchdown. Absolutely perfect pass. Wilder never broke stride.

Bloi-Dei Dorzon ripped of a 60-yard touchdown run up the right sideline. He showed some strength by staying in bounds as defenders got a few hands on him. And he showed some speed by running away from the defensive backs.

A lot less dropped balls today. Seemed like all the receivers were making plays. Mitchell Mouton, Carlos Simpson, Wilder and Keenan Tillman all made some nice plays.......

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/p...c-a7198109019c&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com

Overall, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I think ole' Panthro was right. This is gonna be a very competitive season. While most teams seem to have 6 or 7 starters coming back on the defensive side of the ball it seems like some teams (i.e. GSU, JSU, AAMU, SU and ASU) have holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball. With Bobby Reid coming in at Texas Southern to start at QB, 6 out of the SWAC's 10 teams will have new starting QBs this season.

Be fooled if you want to. It looks like this every year coming out of the gate. To be honest, JSU does not really have holes to fill on offense. Trae is probably gonna be our QB. We have everyone else back. RB is the EASIEST POSITION to replace. You just need some RBs with talent. We took a hit by Smith and Haw leaving but we are not suffering for talent at RB. YOu can probably really look at it like we are only replacing 4 starters and returning 7 on offense. We are really only replacing our center, QB, RB and FB. Those are all important positions but we got this covered!

My boy Ed Lee is still playing Fullback A&M knows who he is the same guy who scored the winning td against them last year!:ebrow:

Be fooled if you want to. It looks like this every year coming out of the gate. To be honest, JSU does not really have holes to fill on offense. Trae is probably gonna be our QB. We have everyone else back. RB is the EASIEST POSITION to replace. You just need some RBs with talent. We took a hit by Smith and Haw leaving but we are not suffering for talent at RB. YOu can probably really look at it like we are only replacing 4 starters and returning 7 on offense. We are really only replacing our center, QB, RB and FB. Those are all important positions but we got this covered!

TP Our Center played a lot last season. And Ed Lee is still our starting Fullback. and his backup is there too. Man we gone be alright.

TP Our Center played a lot last season. And Ed Lee is still our starting Fullback. and his backup is there too. Man we gone be alright.

Well, officially Giles was listed as our fullback last year....although he was nobody's fullback. LOL If we play Ed, we will have a true fullback this year.

Well, officially Giles was listed as our fullback last year....although he was nobody's fullback. LOL If we play Ed, we will have a true fullback this year.

Man evertime we wanted to run we would run out of the I and Ed Lee was the FB. See the AAMU game,Alcorn and SCG. Dude was making some holes for Giles..

Be fooled if you want to.
Not even. Any fan would like to think they have the nucleus of their offense returning to start a new season. Your Blue Bengals are no different than any of those other schools I mentioned in my earlier post. You're replacing your starting QB and WRs from last year and your two headed monster at RB. That's all of your starting skill players.

As far as your offensive line is concerned, if Voice of Reason is right about those linemen, you'll be starting three new linemen this season and your starting tight end is coming back after missing last year and, let's be honest, it's not like he was a helluva tight end in 2006.

You can probably really look at it like we are only replacing 4 starters and returning 7 on offense.
As our illustrious President George "Dubyah" Bush once said, now that's some "fuzzy math" there.

Not even. Any fan would like to think they have the nucleus of their offense returning to start a new season. Your Blue Bengals are no different than any of those other schools I mentioned in my earlier post. You're replacing your starting QB and WRs from last year and your two headed monster at RB. That's all of your starting skill players.

As far as your offensive line is concerned, if Voice of Reason is right about those linemen, you'll be starting three new linemen this season and your starting tight end is coming back after missing last year and, let's be honest, it's not like he was a helluva tight end in 2006.

As our illustrious President George "Dubyah" Bush once said, now that's some "fuzzy math" there.

In all honesty I would have to say that our Oline is the least of our worries them boys are all coming back from last year except Zo (the center) plus we got some JUCOS in as well! QB folks are forgetting that Trae R. did see the field last year he played in 5 games off the bench! WR's we have two starters and Kethone is coming back at wide out! TE Frost and that freshman from last year should hold it down you can sleep on Frost if u want he is NFL TE! RB is the only position we dont have anybody who has seen the field but we got some boys who can run the rock! Now DEFENSE is what everyone in the SWAC should be afraid of!

Newcomers make impression in scrimmage

Jackson State held its first scrimmage of training camp inside Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday with a handful of newcomers making the most of the opportunity.

Freshman quarterbacks Domonick Britt and Dedric McDonald had the best days of their short JSU careers.

Britt hooked up with walk-on Rashad Smith for a 38-yard touchdown pass. He also broke loose for a 39-yard run that was called back because of offsetting penalties.

McDonald turned heads with a 33-yard touchdown run up the middle.

"They're coming, they're coming," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "They're enjoying themselves now. They're not thinking about anything else right now."

Running back Bloi-Dei Dorzan broke his second long touchdown run in as many days. He ran though a few arm tackles and bounced it to the outside for a 26-yard score. Dorzan, RB Demario Pippen and RB Teravious Mitchell all fumbled the ball during the scrimmage.

Rest story

I really wasn't impressed with your defense last season... yall probably gave up an damn near 21 pts a game. PV scored on yall and they really didn't have an offense. Despite the folk yall got coming back, unless they play better your defense will let you down. Grambling's defense is really much better... we just have to get our offense going.

I really wasn't impressed with your defense last season... yall probably gave up an damn near 21 pts a game. PV scored on yall and they really didn't have an offense. Despite the folk yall got coming back, unless they play better your defense will let you down. Grambling's defense is really much better... we just have to get our offense going.

:lmao:

Seriously Bean... not trying to smack at all. Your defense played physical but they weren't shut down dominant. Look objectively at your recent scrimmages... defenses should have the edge in early camp scrimmages. You guys have posted long td runs, td passes, etc. That's not good defense... but we shall see.

Homer...LOL

Man we had one weak spot and he redeemed himself in the SCG. He shut down Clyde and block a field goal. We replaced him and added some mean cats with him.

Man your DB's and LB's were weak last year. Man those dude could not cover a ant with a blanket...

PV go lucky. Oh yeah our first team defense. Look out they all know each others tendencies and they all are hungry..

12-0................12-0.....

speaks reminds me of that Killer from the Ravens....:kiss:

Seriously Bean... not trying to smack at all. Your defense played physical but they weren't shut down dominant. Look objectively at your recent scrimmages... defenses should have the edge in early camp scrimmages. You guys have posted long td runs, td passes, etc. That's not good defense... but we shall see.

MB, first those DBs that was weak links are gone. Secondly, you are wrong again. I'll rather see my offense with "new" QBs making plays happening than this:

GRAMBLING ? There were communication problems, pacing programs and execution problems.

That led to problems scoring for a Grambling offense featuring a trio of quarterbacks who have never taken a college snap.

In fact, no one ever reached the end zone in GSU?s initial scrimmage of the 2008 fall sessions, though the first team got as close as the 10-yard line in its final drive on Saturday night. Unfortunately, three consecutive incompletions from Missouri transfer J.P. Tillman followed, ending things.

Rest story

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MB. Just watched SU-JSU 07 on Saturday and even though SU didn't do a lot against them running the ball, we had our way with them passing until Lee went out. That was Clevan White's coming out party. Unfortunately, the second half, J-State's running game wore us down and Oliver made plays (both of which are gone), but we still snapped off 26 points against the Darkside.

We have that depth back, but J-State should be good defensively. Offense .... no comment at this point.

Long Runs and Long TDS that were against the second team D!!!!!!!!!!!!! And BlackBengal is right we has a suspect corner and a Notre Dame reject at safety that should have never been on the field but we should see much better play this year and not trying to be funny but how was Grambling D any much better I saw them twice last year as well as on TV I didnt see anything that was better than our D! We took ourselves out of the first game and as far as the SCG well............:xeye:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with MB. Just watched SU-JSU 07 on Saturday and even though SU didn't do a lot against them running the ball, we had our way with them passing until Lee went out. That was Clevan White's coming out party. Unfortunately, the second half, J-State's running game wore us down and Oliver made plays (both of which are gone), but we still snapped off 26 points against the Darkside.

We have that depth back, but J-State should be good defensively. Offense .... no comment at this point.

:lol: You two just keep condoling each other just as long as the Darkside keep doing what it does to help win. See, we (Mafia) know that alot of what you all saw had to do with schemes (which most was rectified by SCG time). But like I said earlier, those DBs that every team was picking on last year are gone and now we have this guy on one side............

Scouting report
The Tigers have been visited by several NFL scouts during the last four practices. Representatives from the New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins and St. Louis Rams have all stopped by.

Preseason All-America cornerback Domonique Johnson has garnered the most attention. "I'll get excited when we win a Black College National Championship," he said with a smile. "What else am I supposed to be excited about?

and this guy on the other side: Cornerback Jeremy Pierce

What you and many others fail to realize though is that the offense last year had a NACK for turning the ball over...4 UNFORCED turnovers helped you guys get those 26 points, other than that I only saw 2 legitimate drives from you guys the whole game. The thing that also killed us a lot in games were penalties, if not for those two things a lot of teams we played wouldnt have had a chance, seriously. This defense is very physical and the one weakness at CB is gone.

Jeremy Pierce another 6 foot cornerback!:swink: I keep telling folks it is gonna be ugly for these teams in the SWAC this year if we dont win the SWAC Comegy is gettin fired if we dont win the East he is getting fired if he doesnt have a good team practice today! He is gettin fired we are just that cold! Ok my bad got a lil krunk at work! I apologize..............In all we should be a good fundamentally sound team and we are jus gonna go out there and try our best TO KEEP UP WITH THE SWAC THANK U! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back