Basketball Times

bluedog said:
Southern men perfect in SWAC
The mild surprise, after Friday?s 15-point win over Grambling, is Southern coach Rob Spivery held only mild praise for his defense. he actually seemed more pleased with his offense.
And them Bama State posters were happy to see Spivery leave so Jackson could take over??? What a difference a coach makes.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
PsychoJag said:
Our men and womens basketball teams will sweep the SWAC this year.

you crazy as hell...

I dont think EITHER will win.... I would say the women but after the game I saw played against GSU last night, I cant even say that....

DAHILL said:
you crazy as hell...

I dont think EITHER will win.... I would say the women but after the game I saw played against GSU last night, I cant even say that....

You're crazy as hell...

AAMU will not win this year. SU has made the more noise out of conference, they have played the harder schedule up to this point, they have the best defense. The SWAC will not be a problem. On the women's side they're just too talented.

DAHILL said:
you crazy as hell...

Don't let that let 1 game fool you. That is Coach Pugh's style. She never lets the girls play anywhere near their potential until the end of the season. Now as far as the men go I don't think anyone has as much depth and are as talented as SU.

PsychoJag said:
You're crazy as hell...

AAMU will not win this year. SU has made the more noise out of conference, they have played the harder schedule up to this point, they have the best defense. The SWAC will not be a problem. On the women's side they're just too talented.
He just don't understand how much talent our women have.

I saw SU's women the other night....if I was coach we would play a different system and Lewis would be dropping 20 and 10 consistently...

PsychoJag said:
You're crazy as hell...

more out of conference noise????? Who cares who played a harder schedule... what top teams did you BEAT? Best defense? based on WHAT?

Robber said:
And them Bama State posters were happy to see Spivery leave so Jackson could take over??? What a difference a coach makes.
Hope thats not suppose to be a knock on Jackson, cause he hasn't had time. And I don't think Spivery's system would have ever allowed ASU to attract the type of athletes to compete beyond the SWAC. Not so with L Jackson.

btw, as for Spivery at SU, he's doing exactly what I figured he would--be competitive in the SWAC. Good for him.

DAHILL said:
more out of conference noise????? Who cares who played a harder schedule... what top teams did you BEAT? Best defense? based on WHAT?

We beat Louisiana Tech who whooped Texas Tech by 22 the week before. We gave Oklahoma and Xavier a good game. Who did AAMU beat? Didn't you get beat by JSU and worked by Stillman? face it dawg ya'll don't have it this year. The tides have turned. SU basketball is about to go back to where it use to be.

PsychoJag said:
We beat Louisiana Tech who whooped Texas Tech by 22 the week before. We gave Oklahoma and Xavier a good game. Who did AAMU beat? Didn't you get beat by JSU and worked by Stillman? face it dawg ya'll don't have it this year. The tides have turned. SU basketball is about to go back to where it use to be.

Louisiana Tech???? We gave Nebraska and Vanderbilt a good game...yeah we got beat by JSU, but you fail to mention that 2 starters (2nd and 3rd leading scorers were disciplined for the first half and werent allowed to play)..... A&M owns SU in basketball.

We about to sweep that azz in BR, and in Huntsville.

P.S Tell Micheal Ford to get his azz on the bus to BR, because after we beat that azz in BR, we won't hear any excuses.....um Micheal Ford missed the bus. Obie Trotter didn't play good, because SU defense was all over him like chicken pox.............:shh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
Louisiana Tech???? We gave Nebraska and Vanderbilt a good game...yeah we got beat by JSU, but you fail to mention that 2 starters (2nd and 3rd leading scorers were disciplined for the first half and werent allowed to play)..... A&M owns SU in basketball.

You asked who did we beat. Who did AAMU beat. Dude ya'll let GSU put 84 up on ya'll. What's your excuse for that? Can you say NO DEFENSE!!!! We'll see who owns who on the 21st.

mighty hornet said:
And I don't think Spivery's system would have ever allowed ASU to attract the type of athletes to compete beyond the SWAC. Not so with L Jackson.
I kind of agree with that statement. When playing schools with more talent and height you need a system like Ben Jobe had.

PsychoJag said:
BTW Dahill What happened at Stillman?? :shh:

Stillman just beat the #1 Division 2 team in the nation Montevallo... the same Montevallo that beat JSU at home this year.

no excuses we lost.... but SU aint Stillman....

who cares how many pionts GSU scored... WE WON... and the game wasnt as close as the final score and it was on the road.

DAHILL said:
Stillman just beat the #1 Division 2 team in the nation Montevallo... the same Montevallo that beat JSU at home this year.

no excuses we lost.... but SU aint Stillman....

who cares how many pionts GSU scored... WE WON... and the game wasnt as close as the final score and it was on the road.
You lost to Stillman...The sad thing is Stillman has beat you in baseball too....And the game with GSU,wasnt as close as the final score...:nod2: :wavey:

hahahahahaha Alcorn!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Trey Johnson it ain't gonna be no jump shots, and no 20 or more points Monday! :shh:

Jaguars still have plenty of games to play.

There are 15 more Southwestern Athletic Conference games to be played for the Southern men?s basketball team.

So, there?s no need to ice the champagne yet. There?s not even a need to ice the ice yet. Leave the ice-cube trays in the pantry and the water in the pipes.

A 3-0 start is good, but ?

The program with the five straight losing seasons, with its fourth coach in six seasons and with its last regular-season SWAC title in 1990 has had strong starts before. In fact, in three of the last five seasons, the Jaguars have begun SWAC play with nice records.

Then they faded.

Last season, Southern started 5-1, then went 0-3, then 3-0, then 2-4. That was good for a 10-4, sixth-place finish.

In 2003-04, Southern began 4-1, then went 2-7 before winning the final three regular-season games. That was a 9-9 mark and a five-way tie for fourth place, the Jaguars? best placement in the last five seasons.

In 2000-01, Southern also was 4-1, then lost four straight games and went 4-5 in the second half of the conference season. Tommy Green was fired at season?s end, one year into a three-year deal.

This season, Southern (4-9, 3-0 SWAC) has wins at Texas Southern and Prairie View ? the first road sweep since February 2000 ? and put together an easy 72-57 victory over Grambling on Friday.

None of those three teams looks like the upper echelon of the conference. In fact, PV was picked to finish last in the 10-team conference, TSU seventh (behind Southern at sixth) and Grambling fourth.

Monday?s home game with Jackson State is looming as a key early-season proving ground for both teams. A week later, Southern visits its traditional black hole, Mississippi Valley State (only two wins there since 1992). And then there?s the three-game stretch with Alabama A&M, Alabama State and Alcorn State (9-21 in regular-season meetings) that has done in SU teams of the recent past.

Read the Story

OnlySU said:
And the game with GSU,wasnt as close as the final score...:nod2: :wavey:

I watched the game on TV, GSU aint no AAMU. GSU has one scorer and he is a ball hog.

A&M enjoys the Joe show

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsville...sports/1136715641264120.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

Sunday, January 08, 2006
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
Bulldog makes points with coach and against UAPB

Joe Martin has spent the last week and a half in Alabama A&M coach Vann Pettaway's doghouse. After the way he played Saturday afternoon, Martin may have found a way out.

Martin, a 6-foot-4, 210-pound senior forward out of Birmingham, scored 24 points and grabbed 17 rebounds, and Obie Trotter matched Martin with 24 as A&M downed Arkansas-Pine Bluff 74-65 in a Southwestern Athletic Conference game at Elmore Gym.

An announced crowd of 1,143 was on hand as the Bulldogs improved to 4-5 overall and 2-1 in league play. The Golden Lions fell to 3-7 and 0-2.

"I probably did," Martin said when asked if his effort got him out of the doghouse. "I've been keeping my mouth shut and playing hard."

"He's out," Pettaway said. "I'm just keeping a leash on him."

Martin's troubles began during practice on Dec. 29.

Martin's team lost the scrimmage in practice and he blew up.

"I took it too far," he said.

As a result, Pettaway sat Martin the first 16 minutes of the Jackson State game on Monday night and didn't start him Wednesday night at Grambling. The Bulldogs went 1-1 in those two games.

Saturday, however, Martin was back in the starting lineup and did a number on the Golden Lions.

He was 5-of-8 from the field, 2-of-3 from beyond the arc and a surprising 12-of-15 from the foul line.

"Joe played big," Trotter said.

"Joe had a tremendous game," Pettaway said.

There was nothing tremendous about A&M's start.

UAPB stormed to an 8-0 lead four minutes into the game and Pettaway quickly called timeout.

"We didn't come out with that fire," Trotter said. "Last year they beat us twice and I didn't want that to happen this year."

The Bulldogs scored 11 unanswered points to take their first lead and never looked back.

A&M led by as many as 13 points in the first half before settling for a 31-21 halftime advantage. The Bulldogs pushed their lead to as many as 21 points, that coming with just over 13 minutes left on Trotter's 3-pointer that made it 51-30.

Trotter picked up his fourth foul with just under seven minutes left and had to go to the bench. UAPB then whittled A&M's 16-point lead down to seven on a 3-pointer by Larry Williams that made it 64-57 with four minutes to play, but the Bulldogs used a 9-2 run, including six free throws by Marcus Jones, to take a 73-59 advantage and the outcome was never in doubt.

"Obie had a good game and Marcus came in and made some clutch free throws," Pettaway said.

Trotter was 9-of-13 from the field and 4-of-6 from 3-point range. Jones finished with 11 points, including 7-of-8 from the foul line.

The Bulldogs played without Michael Ford.

Ford, who missed the team bus to Jackson and sat out the first 16 minutes of that game, was late for Saturday's shoot-around. He dressed, but didn't play.

"This has got to stop," Pettaway said.

"He's a great talent, but he's got to understand what it takes to play at this level."

Once we get control of our discipline problems we will be unstoppable.

Back