Basketball Times

SU women overpower Nicholls

19055_256.jpg
<!--
<mdw if exist="email_addy">/stories/112105/sou_suwomen001.shtml
Advocate sportswriter

-->The big time has come to the Southern women's basketball team.

New post players Indi Johnson and Ashton Jones combined for 34 points and 16 rebounds as Southern overpowered Nicholls State, 85-67, Sunday in Seymour Gym.

Their arrival comes in addition to the return of 6-foot-4 sophomore standout Fredrieka Lewis, who added 13 points off the bench. Johnson, a 6-foot-1 sophomore forward who began her career at Purdue, had 22 points and 11 rebounds. And Jones, a 6-3 true freshman, came off the bench to score 12 points and grab five rebounds in 16 minutes.
document.gif
Read the story

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=300 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://cmsimg.montgomeryadvertiser....&ArtNo=511210338&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=300</TD></TR><TR><TD>[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Alabama blasts Hornets

By Tim Gayle
Montgomery Advertiser

[font=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif]
TUSCALOOSA -- The Alabama State game plan was discarded soon after the Hornets tipped off with Alabama on Sunday night.

Jermareo Davidson continued his hot streak and the undersized Hornets had no answer for the Crimson Tide's 6-foot-10 center.

Davidson scored 10 of his 20 points in the first five minutes to help the 15th-ranked Crimson Tide (2-1) run off 19 unanswered points and cruise to a 105-68 win over Alabama State at Coleman Coliseum.

"My teammates found out we had a mismatch on the inside," Davidson said, "so why not keep going to it if it worked?"

The Hornets (1-3) were beaten badly in the paint and first-year coach Lewis Jackson said switching defenses didn't seem to help against the taller, more physical post players from Alabama.

[/font]

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dayum Blue you fast with that, but SU Women play Alabama, and I think SU will beat them, and also LSU tomorrow. :smash:

Outrebounded, Tiger turnovers make it worse
The Associated Press

STILLWATER, Okla. ? Mario Boggan scored 18 points and David Monds added 17 as Oklahoma State defeated Jackson State 94-53 Sunday in the first round of the Las Vegas Holiday Invitational.

The Oklahoma State defense swarmed Jackson State, forcing 22 turnovers and outrebounding the Tigers 51-22.

The Cowboys (2-0) connected on 31-of-56 field goals and provided plenty of highlight footage with a barrage of high-flying slam dunks and acrobatic layups.

The decisive first half was marked by a series of Oklahoma State runs. The first was an 8-0 run that was ignited by Aaron Pettway's emphatic powerhouse jam with 15:13 remaining.He was fouled on the play and converted the free throw, giving the Cowboys an early 9-5 advantage. A three-point basket from Byron Eaton and two Boggan free throws made it 14-5.

Jackson State (0-1) tried to hang around early on. Hilton Tompkins and Dakari Wallace connected on a pair of three-point baskets, trimming the lead to 16-11.

But Oklahoma State responded with a 15-4 run, stretching the margin to 31-15 with 4:56 remaining in the half.

Boggan, who was quiet in limited first-half action, erupted for 8 points in the final 2:16, as the Cowboys lead ballooned to 44-24.

Oklahoma State had 15 assists in the game, including 5 by Jameson Curry.

Wallace led Jackson State with 11 points and Trey Johnson scored 10.

Cowboys coach Eddie Sutton returned to the court for the game after missing OSU's regular season opener because of chronic back pain.

bluedog said:
SU women overpower Nicholls

19055_256.jpg
<!--
<mdw if exist="email_addy">/stories/112105/sou_suwomen001.shtml
Advocate sportswriter

-->The big time has come to the Southern women's basketball team.

New post players Indi Johnson and Ashton Jones combined for 34 points and 16 rebounds as Southern overpowered Nicholls State, 85-67, Sunday in Seymour Gym.

Their arrival comes in addition to the return of 6-foot-4 sophomore standout Fredrieka Lewis, who added 13 points off the bench. Johnson, a 6-foot-1 sophomore forward who began her career at Purdue, had 22 points and 11 rebounds. And Jones, a 6-3 true freshman, came off the bench to score 12 points and grab five rebounds in 16 minutes.
document.gif
Read the story
They have the makings of a special team. They are going to be ell to beat in the swac, and I see them making some serious noise in the big dance. Coach Pugh great job. :tup: :tup:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
They have the makings of a special team. They are going to be ell to beat in the swac, and I see them making some serious noise in the big dance. Coach Pugh great job. :tup: :tup:
yo, I also see SU having a higher seed in the big dance, but when it comes down to recruiting someobdy better go to Sandy Pugh. :flippy:

P.S Why don't we have to pick threads in basketball also? :nod:

Jag-BR said:
yo, I also see SU having a higher seed in the big dance, but when it comes down to recruiting someobdy better go to Sandy Pugh. :flippy:

P.S Why don't we have to pick threads in basketball also? :nod:

I'm surprised no school from a bigger conferencce has tried to get Coach Pugh, yet. And I hope they stay the hell away from her as well.
:hat:

...Pick threads for basketball would be far too difficult to keep up with. Football is one day a week. Basketball (for conference) usually is Sat. and Mon., with some occassional midweek games..

That's a whole lotta stat-checking for Mach and PNeck

Matchups..Who will win each matchup?

Fredreka Lewis vs Sylvia Fowles - The 2 big Post players. Who will win this matchup?

Simone Augustus vs Rolanda Monroe -- I know these 2 aren't guarding each other, but who do you think will come on with the best stats..WIN OR LOSE

Indi Johnson vs Schlonda Hoston -- Who has this one?

Jag-BR said:
Matchups..Who will win each matchup?

Fredreka Lewis vs Sylvia Fowles - The 2 big Post players. Who will win this matchup?

Simone Augustus vs Rolanda Monroe -- I know these 2 aren't guarding each other, but who do you think will come on with the best stats..WIN OR LOSE

Indi Johnson vs Schlonda Hoston -- Who has this one?

are you for real?????? Yes the SU women are good.... but you are trying to compare Simone Ausustus (The best player in womens basketball PERIOD) to Rolanda Monroe????

DAHILL said:
are you for real?????? Yes the SU women are good.... but you are trying to compare Simone Ausustus (The best player in womens basketball PERIOD) to Rolanda Monroe????
um dude..what you trying to say?

NCAA Division I: Women ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll
RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1. Tennessee (22) 0-0 764 1
Last Week: No Games Played.
This Week: Def. Stetson 83-33 (11/20), 11/21 vs. UT-Chattanooga (1-1) Tickets
2. Duke (6) 0-0 737 2
This Week: Def. Penn State 93-67 (11/18), Def. Old Dominion 93-56 (11/20), 11/22 vs. Fairfield (0-1) Tickets
3. LSU (1) 1-0 704 3
Last Week: Def. No. 13 Texas Tech 76-68 (11/13)
This Week: 11/22 vs. So New Orleans, 11/22 vs. Southern (2-0) Tickets

4. Ohio State (1) 0-0 673 4
This Week: 11/21 vs. Eastern Kentucky (0-1) Tickets
5. Baylor 1-0 614 7
Last Week: Def. No. 10 Georgia 84-72 (11/13)
This Week: Def. UCLA 93-85 (11/18), Def. Indiana 74-62 (11/19), 11/22 vs. TX A&M Corp Chris (0-1) Tickets

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/rankings

This game will be a good measuring stick for the Lady Jags.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I saw when Texas A&M came to PV in 2002 and won in double OT. The next season in College Station they pulled away late and won by about 11-15 points. I was at that game too. In 2002 former TAMU player and future NBA draftee, Antione Wright, was a freshman.

While Kyle Field, Texas A&M's home football stadium, is one of the best venue's for football, the basketball areana was one of the worst. Basketball is less than a little brother to football there. But with football having a worse than expected season, there maybe a little more excitement for hoops in Aggieland. BTW Texas will whip A&M this Friday.

Anyway, Billy Gillispie and the women's coach, Gary Blair, are getting more of the top notch players that the basketball teams were not getting a few years ago. While the A&M team of 2002 had non-conference wins over Tennessee and LSU, this is a very different team than the one in 2002.

Speaking of Texas A&M athletics the president, Dr. Robert Gates, said that the school would be excellent in everything that they do. This included athletics. Well, after losing big to Texas in 2002, Texas A&M, namely Gates, fired R.C. Slocum. Early in the fall the A.D. retired-despite the new facilities, and they got a new A.D. from Nebraska. Later Melvin Watkins, the men's basketball coach resigned. The women's coach did not have her contract renewed. There was a change in one of the "minor" sport coaches too (something like diving or swimming). I cannot remember.

Now, the baseball coach, similar to Slocum in football, was the winningest baseball coach in school history. His team went to the playoffs in 2003 and 2004 after a brief absence. He also took his team to two college world series in the '90s. Anyway, after a losing season in 2005 he was fired.

Speaking of these being different basketball teams click on the links below. I forgot to mention that word has it that the president is a basketball fan.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=10530

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=10490

http://www.aggieathletics.com/pressRelease.php?PRID=10486

19060_256.jpg

Southern excited to play Tigers
Southern point guard Rolanda Monroe, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's reigning player of the year, isn't quite certain if all of her teammates share her zeal when it comes to facing No. 3 LSU today at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.
"I'm excited," Monroe said. "Some of them (teammates) may be a little scared, but we'll get it out of them (Monday). When Tuesday gets here, we'll be ready."

The 7 p.m. matchup between LSU (1-0) and Southern (2-0) is the first between the two programs in six seasons. The game will be televised live by Cox Sports Television and can be heard locally over WTGE-FM, 107.3.

"The big picture is that Southern is a very good basketball team and we're trying to become a good basketball team in terms of what we each hope to get done and accomplish this year," LSU coach Pokey Chatman said.

The paths of the two teams actually crossed more than three years ago in Boulder, Colo., when they took part in the NCAA West Regional. But a second-round game never materialized when homestanding Colorado eliminated the Jaguars.

"LSU is one of the top programs in the country, and I think it's good for Baton Rouge to have that here," Southern coach Sandy Pugh said. "We get an opportunity to go over there and be involved in that type of environment, and the kids get a chance to see what they can potentially achieve. It's good all the way around."

Both teams are off to fast starts.

Southern has won its first games for the first time since 1999 -- displaying better balance to go with Monroe, the team's leading scorer at 18 points per game. Purdue transfer Indi Johnson (14.5) and the return of 6-foot-4 Fredrieka Lewis (13.5) from season-ending ankle injury a year ago, have provided the Jaguars with not only size in the interior, but a complement to Monroe.

"Monroe puts so much pressure on you because she's in an attack mode, but the thing I like about her is that she's in an attack mode on the defensive end as well," Chatman said. "They also have that post presence that they missed last year and they have it in abundance. They're just a much improved team."

Read the story

A&M readies for tall 'Dores
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
By REGGIE BENSON

Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
Lady Bulldogs open season todayat No. 17 Vanderbilt

When the Alabama A&M women's basketball team visits Southeastern Conference foe Vanderbilt tonight at Memorial Gym, the Lady Bulldogs will face a tall task in their season opener.

Literally.

The Lady Commodores, coached by Melanie Balcomb and ranked 17th in the Associated Press preseason poll, will start 6-foot-4 Liz Sherwood, a transfer from the University of Connecticut, and 6-3 junior forward Carla Thomas along the front line. Thomas is a preseason All-SEC first-team selection.

A&M will counter with 5-11 senior center Kim Pratcher and 6-0 senior forward Kaysha Williamson. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
Read the story

LSU

1) G -- Rashonta LeBlanc -- 5'7
2) G -- Schalanda Hoston -- 5'10
3) G -- Seimone Augustus -- 6'1
4) F -- Florence Williams -- 6'1
5) C -- Sylvia Fowles -- 6'6 :eek:

Go Lady Jags!!!!!!!!!

1) G -- Ciara Shiggs -- 5'8
2) G -- Rolanda Monroe -- 5'7
3) F -- Indi Johnson -- 6'1
4) F -- Ashley Blake -- 5'10
5) F -- Krystal Huggins -- 5'10 :eek:

Ladyjacks Oust Alcorn State

Stellar defensive effort leads SFA to first victory of the season

Nov. 21, 2005

NACOGDOCHES - The Stephen F. Austin Ladyjack basketball team shot 33-of-60 (55 percent) from the floor, including a 67 percent performance in the second half to run away from Alcorn State, 82-58, Monday night at the William R. Johnson Coliseum. The Ladyjacks evened their record at 1-1 (.500) with the victory.

The margin of victory could have been a lot greater if not for the Ladyjacks' 31 turnovers. But despite the miscues, SFA seemed flawless in all other areas of the game. The Ladyjacks held Alcorn State to a 23-of-59 (39 percent) performance from the floor, including allowing only a 7-of-28 (25 percent) effort in the first half. SFA out-rebounded its opponent for the second-straight game and forced the Lady Braves into 29 turnovers.

The game was close early, but that didn't last long. The game was tied at the 15:20 mark of the first half when SFA rattled off a 9-0 run sparked by senior LaToya Mills' seven points and six rebounds. The Ladyjacks pushed their advantage to as many as 15 points and went into the lockerroom up 38-23.

Read The Story

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
Good luck Ro, I hope you show out on over-hyped Simone Augustus.
Exactly, and DAHILL is hating on her, but I have a feeling LSU gone do something stupid with their 6'6 Center. She is gonna get in foul trouble and Coach Pugh gonna put Fredrecka in and let her use her height and size, and LSU will try to double team her, and LSU must not know SU has some threats. I can't wait to see Indi Johnson vs Semone Ausgustus.

P.S If SU beats LSU, and SU makes it to the dance. I think SU will have a higher seed, because they beat the number 3 team in the Nation.

GO JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!

UAPB GEARING UP FOR DUQUESNE

By Blake Drehle/OF THE COMMERCIAL STAFF
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:21 AM CST

PITTSBURGH ? The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions? four-game road trip to begin the season continues with a game against an Atlantic 10 member: The Duquesne Dukes. Tipoff is set for 7:35 p.m. today at Pittsburgh.

The Lions enter the game looking for their first win on the season after an 87-55 setback against Creighton in Omaha, Neb.

UAPB had trouble rebounding versus the aggressive Blue Jays. Creighton outrebounded UAPB 53-29.

?We?re not a physical team,? said UAPB head coach Van Holt. ?We?re tall, but we?re lean. We?re more finesse.

?Everybody we play that is Division I will have size and experience at the skill positions. We just can?t worry about what happened at Creighton. We need to worry about playing our game. We can?t be too overly concerned about the talent we?re playing or we?ll forget what?s important.?
Read the story

Turnovers bite BravesFSU's Thornton enjoys career night as Alcorn suffers a second road loss to start season

Steve Cannon/The Associated Press

Florida State forward Al Thornton, who scored a career-high 31 points, got two on this second-half dunk over Alcorn State's Almaad Jackson in Monday night's game in Tallahassee, Fla.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. ? Al Thornton had a career-high 31 points and 10 rebounds to lead Florida State past Alcorn State 85-67 in the Seminoles' home opener Monday night.

Alexander Johnson had 14 points and Jason Rich added 10 for the Seminoles (2-0), who turned 20 turnovers by the Braves into 27 points.

Rich's 3-pointer from the left wing gave the Seminoles the lead for good with just over 6 minutes to play in the first half.

The shot ignited a 17-5 run for Florida State, which built a 50-36 halftime edge.

Clif Douglass led the Braves (0-2) with 21 points, hitting 7 of 10 shots from 3-point range.

The Braves went 11-for-25 on treys.

Delvin Thompson, last year's SWAC newcomer of the year, scored 13 points for the Braves, making just 4 of 10 shots overall and 1 of 5 3-point tries.

Juan Wyatt added 12 points and seven rebounds for Alcorn.

The Braves were outrebounded just 33-32 by the Atlantic Coast Conference team, but they were whistled for 19 fouls to the Seminoles' 14.

Thornton was the first Florida State player to surpass 30 points since Jan. 18.

The Seminoles have won five straight home openers and have won 54 home openers in the 59-year history of the program.

Alcorn, which lost at South Florida on Friday in its opener, plays nine more road games before its home opener, Jan. 7 against Jackson State.

Back