TxSu Hires Johnny Jones as Basketball Coach

Banners.... banners.... and more banners.
Season 2 Reaction GIF by Law & Order

Y’all can have Jones. Jones has benefited from not playing the late game the day before the championship game every year he had won the tournament. We had players trying to fight each other during a time out in the tournament.

I must give Jones credit for beating Alcorn and winning two play in games.

Jones has yet to win a SWAC Regular Season Championships.

Y’all can have Jones. Jones has benefited from not playing the late game the day before the championship game every year he had won the tournament. We had players trying to fight each other during a time out in the tournament.

the year he played the late game he still had Prairie View beat in 2019 as they jumped on them early - Travon Reed didn't come to play which was the difference

I get why you have issues with him, but at the end of the day it's about business. Jones has five NCAA Touney distribution units to his name, and by this time tomorrow he may have another. Continuing along this business of line of thought, you also have to consider Jones is paying his own salary in that we are gaining more than the investment of his salary is costing.

Last, because our latest string of tourney appearances are lined up three years consecutively, to our benefit, by no later than 2024 the NCAA will be paying our TSU the equivalent 5 installment payments per annum over a three year period because the NCAA pays out the distribution units over a six year installment period. If Jones wins tomorrow, those installments grow to 6 installment payments per annum over the next three years.

With all that said, his job is more than safe. Don't think what I just typed is getting by anyone at 3100 Cleburne in a decision making capacity. Money talks, and B.S. is just what is.

Jones ain’t shit. Talking about not being prepared. TSU was never in the game. Just because you win the tournament doesn’t mean you are a good team. We finished 8th this year in the SWAC. I get we had injuries. When we were healthy we didn’t run off a string of victories.

Guard play - tsu has struggled against the 5-10 guards all season long - the Alcorn kid comes to mind - when you can shoot everything else doesn't matter

Jones ain’t shit. Talking about not being prepared. TSU was never in the game. Just because you win the tournament doesn’t mean you are a good team. We finished 8th this year in the SWAC. I get we had injuries. When we were healthy we didn’t run off a string of victories.
I agree, but I'm afraid we're stuck because he inherited a good program and managed to capitalize off of it. Heck, he even got an extension off of it.

Interesting truth being presented. I didn't watch the game but watched the 8:52 minute highlights; sTu looked exactly like the more recent uncompetitive teams in the play-in games, who also lost. That margin of loss to a subpar fdu team is very telling, imho.

In the end, the entire SWAC will simply be participating in the ncaa's "march $$$ scramble" as viewers and not participants, especially when the madness comes to nrg and htown lol. sTu got more $$$ for the play-in game so ultimately that's all that matters, I guess. Would GSU or Alcorn M ball fared any better vs fdu? Who knows.

No but really, i am more concerned about the offense. 1 - 17 from 3 pt line, has been an issue from day one. TSU 11 - 27 from fg. Opponent shot 11-27 from 3 pt line. i am not sure a zone defense is what I am looking for. Overall poor showing. Make sure the check clears.

No but really, i am more concerned about the offense. 1 - 17 from 3 pt line, has been an issue from day one. TSU 11 - 27 from fg. Opponent shot 11-27 from 3 pt line. i am not sure a zone defense is what I am looking for. Overall poor showing. Make sure the check clears.
No need to leave out that every player and deficit of talent is tied to Jones recruiting decisions.

Last edited:
Back