TxSu Hires Johnny Jones as Basketball Coach

If Jones and TSU are so bad, what does that say about the other 11 teams in the conference this year. If the teams can't beat TSU why would i hire their coach or get their players. I am asking for a friend.

From 2014-now Texas Southern represented the SWAC in the toury 7 times with 3 first four wins.
(2014-now 9 post seasons with 3 CIT wins and 1 NIT trip)

Since 2014
Southern 2 times and got blown out twice
PV once
MVSU, J-State, Grambling, Fam, Cookman, Pine Bluff, Alcorn (2 NIT) and Bama schools-NONE
Like Davis before his-only ONE losing season (Davis 1 out of 6) and still made post season.
Here is something funny only 2 coaches from that group that has not made the tourny got hired as a HC somewhere else. 1 is D2.

Other by Bryon Smith-Jones has more wins then any other SWAC coach in that 2014-now span. He's 2nd behind Robert Jones (MEAC) in winning seasons.

Now the only grip would be Tx Southern LOST to a team who has the second WEAKEST strength of schedule in the nation.
TX Southern is the 3rd highest ranked team they have beaten.
Tx Southern has the 21st toughest SOS in nonconference. The HIGHEST of any HBCU school.
Took on 4 of the top 50 (2 in the top 5) teams in the nation.
Cookman had the WEAKEST of the SWAC.

But yeah Johnny Jones stinks..... yet gets more out of his players than folks with way more resources.

I think TxSU folks are hard on Jones. I understand this wasn’t his best year record wise but he did his job and got TxSU to the tournament. TxSU invest more money into Basketball than any team in the SWAC so y’all want winners. Some off of us just wish we could give our coaches a decent recruiting budget.

If Jones and TSU are so bad, what does that say about the other 11 teams in the conference this year. If the teams can't beat TSU why would i hire their coach or get their players. I am asking for a friend.
First thing I thought of... this year's inconsistent and streaky PV M's team would have lost just as miserably on a nat'l broadcast, as we had in the recent past.

I didn't pay too close attention to bball this year because my old decrepit raggedy assed is STILL stuck in the Valley/PV football massacre, 6:52 3rd quarter, still running that dominating performance by Valley through my head that ultimately cost us a SWAC W title. I am stuck on this past season's letdown by PV football coaches:

Inexcusable football losses to acu, iwu, Alcorn St, SU, & Valley. 19 of 21 starters returned. smgdh

From 2014-now Texas Southern represented the SWAC in the toury 7 times with 3 first four wins.
(2014-now 9 post seasons with 3 CIT wins and 1 NIT trip)

Since 2014
Southern 2 times and got blown out twice
PV once
MVSU, J-State, Grambling, Fam, Cookman, Pine Bluff, Alcorn (2 NIT) and Bama schools-NONE
Like Davis before his-only ONE losing season (Davis 1 out of 6) and still made post season.
Here is something funny only 2 coaches from that group that has not made the tourny got hired as a HC somewhere else. 1 is D2.

Other by Bryon Smith-Jones has more wins then any other SWAC coach in that 2014-now span. He's 2nd behind Robert Jones (MEAC) in winning seasons.

Now the only grip would be Tx Southern LOST to a team who has the second WEAKEST strength of schedule in the nation.
TX Southern is the 3rd highest ranked team they have beaten.
Tx Southern has the 21st toughest SOS in nonconference. The HIGHEST of any HBCU school.
Took on 4 of the top 50 (2 in the top 5) teams in the nation.
Cookman had the WEAKEST of the SWAC.

But yeah Johnny Jones stinks..... yet gets more out of his players than folks with way more resources.
@Texas Southern Fan , @Herbert77060 , @BBALLWILL , your thoughs. LOL!! Pay me no mind, I am just being messy. LOL!! Hell, it getting a little boring around here.

No issue, we had a disappointing season due to injuries. No way we would have been an 8th seed. With that said consistent perimeter shooting has been lacking all season. Walker and Nichols could have done more damage in their senior year with outside shooting. I am not sure we will see this kind of big men tandum for 3 or 4 years again for a while. The tournament game had the same story line. My biggest concern is replacing 5 and 12. and getting 2 perimeter shooters.

I think TxSU folks are hard on Jones. I understand this wasn’t his best year record wise but he did his job and got TxSU to the tournament. TxSU invest more money into Basketball than any team in the SWAC so y’all want winners. Some off of us just wish we could give our coaches a decent recruiting budget.
Most of the TSU posters in here are season ticket holders. We have watched this team steady decline. We have loss more home games this year than I can ever remember. I hope this is not the new norm. Jones has yet to win a regular season championship. I have always said the best team in the SWAC is the regular season champ. The tournament champ just got hot or lucky. I can appreciate a good defensive team. Defense is not not in Jones DNA.

No issue, we had a disappointing season due to injuries. No way we would have been an 8th seed. With that said consistent perimeter shooting has been lacking all season. Walker and Nichols could have done more damage in their senior year with outside shooting. I am not sure we will see this kind of big men tandum for 3 or 4 years again for a while. The tournament game had the same story line. My biggest concern is replacing 5 and 12. and getting 2 perimeter shooters.
12?

You look back at it the past 2 years tsu had high level players and was deep from Michael Weathers who had no fear to Brison Gresham who scared offenses

Prior to that you had Jeremy combs who came in and dominated followed by Tyrik Armstrong who folks didn't appreciate until the end

Tsu loses two players last year to swac schools who damn near were the best players on their team

But remember the old way Harvey and Davis built there wasn't a transfer portal so you had high level guys just sit out - now they go straight back to P5

You look back at it the past 2 years tsu had high level players and was deep from Michael Weathers who had no fear to Brison Gresham who scared offenses

Prior to that you had Jeremy combs who came in and dominated followed by Tyrik Armstrong who folks didn't appreciate until the end

Tsu loses two players last year to swac schools who damn near were the best players on their team

But remember the old way Harvey and Davis built there wasn't a transfer portal so you had high level guys just sit out - now they go straight back to P5
Jones tried to scrub Tyrik and play his son. Tyrik is from Elkins HS! We need some more Fort Bend kids on our team.

Listen bruh, yall coach is cat garbage. Straight sewer feces. No other way around it. Look like he just rolled over, threw the ball out there and said, "Go for what yall know." Yall played undisciplined, ran no sets or plays, looked like yall never played the game together as a team before, etc... That's all on him, cause yall have the talent.

We need 2 bigs for depth, and 2 shooters who are consistent. We need depth at forward or to really coach up who we have at forward and we will be right back. Jones isn't perfect. But he still eked out necessary wins in our conference.

Last edited:
Back