Not open for further replies.
You Can UNofficially Add Memphis to the BC Fray

1. Football was made to be played in cool weather
2. Memphis has a good support system for HBCU events
3. It has some nightlife
4. Tailgating can be done there, unlike some venues
5. (the most important) I won't have to drive far

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The story in the paper is longer and includes a photo of Danton and Mr. Parsons...I've known Danton Wilson for years...

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/kbayou15e_20050915.htm

KATRINA AFTERMATH | THE BLACK COMMUNITY: A shared goal for rival teams

Bayou Classic needs new location; Detroit considered
September 15, 2005

BY FRANK WITSIL
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Before Hurricane Katrina hit, Ebbie Parsons, a proud 50-year-old Southern University graduate, planned to attend the XXXII State Farm Bayou Classic, a long-standing football rivalry between his Baton Rouge, La., alma mater and Grambling State University in the Superdome in New Orleans.

The Thanksgiving weekend game means a lot to Parsons.

The Detroit native became a football All-American at Southern. He met his wife of 26 years there. He developed many close friendships there. For the past four years, Parsons has returned, along with tens of thousands of others, to New Orleans to watch a younger generation make its own memories at the classic.

However, with much of New Orleans in shambles, including the Superdome, Bayou Classic organizers are looking for a new home -- at least for this year. Seven or eight metro areas -- including Detroit -- are under consideration to hold a week of events, organizers say.

Neither Louisiana school -- nor the title sponsor, State Farm -- would discuss which cities are contenders.

"I don't think any place would be ruled out," said Southwestern Athletic Conference Commissioner Robert Vowels Jr.

For the two historically black universities, the weekend draws national attention and generates money through fund-raising, sponsorships and television contracts. The game is broadcast nationally on NBC.

The 31-year-old series between Grambling and Southern attracts a sellout crowd of more than 70,000, organizers say. An additional 130,000 or more travel to the Crescent City to participate in other events, including academic competitions, fraternity and sorority step shows, job fairs and the much anticipated battle of the bands.

The economic impact to a host city is estimated to be as much as $200 million, said LeAmber Howell, marketing manager for Bickerstaff Sports & Entertainment, the Washington, D.C.-based firm helping to put on the event.

"There is nothing more a Grambling graduate would like to do than beat Southern," said Danton Wilson, a 1981 Grambling State graduate, who is now a Wayne County assistant prosecutor. "But beneath it all, there is a real sense of brotherhood."

Game organizers say that they are too far along in the planning to cancel the game -- and there is too much at stake. They are searching for a stadium as close as possible to New Orleans and big enough to hold the spectators. Organizers also are considering a plan to donate a portion of the proceeds to hurricane victims, Howell said.

Jeff E. Evans, who is part of a group of Detroit-area Grambling State alumni pitching Detroit, said the Pontiac Silverdome would be a good place to hold the game. Silverdome Executive Director Eric Walker, and Pontiac Mayor Willie Payne, a Grambling graduate, said they would be delighted if the game were played in the otherwise empty stadium.

Contact FRANK WITSIL at 248-351-3690 or witsil@freepress.com. Staff writer Bill Laitner contributed to this report.

JROCK said:
Dude, metro Atlanta have over 1 million blacks that live here. The AUC don't make, break or dictate events in the mecca. :lol: The BC in Atlanta would be like a SUperBowl and would be nothing but a STAR POWER event. LOL...........Y'all just don't know. :lol:

....ain wanna get in this sh ytt; cause all this aint nuthin but a "my city is better than yours" type thang; but you are dead right! The black mecca. If word got out around the country that the BC gone be in the ATL; black folks will flock here just because they know that its gone go down just because of the ATL.

The BC is nationally recognized by "black" folks all over the country; therefore you gone have folks attending that aint got ***** to do with SU or GSU; the BC is more than just the game, therefore it gotta be in a city that will attract those non GSU/SU folks to that city for other reasons besides the football game itself. B-ham, Jackson, Shreveport & BR is out the question IMO cause aint jack to do in those cities; and thats what the average Joe Blow from Detroit, Chicago, etc. gone say, and heen gone want to go if any one of those cities are picked. If the BC was like the Magic City Classic, where its all about the tailgate and football game ONLY;(and let me just throw in that, the MCC aint never been about Birmingham, because it dont be ***** to do afterwards but go to the club after the game)then those cities would be cool.

The BC needs to be in Houston or ATL. Either one I'm coming.

"Snake"

STRAWDOG said:
HERE'S A GREAT IDEA!!!!

The BC does not mean to others what it means to Gram and SU supporters. SU would possibly bring a following of 20-25,000 and Gram would bring approx 10-15,000 TRANSLATED: I doubt very seriously if the BC (if held OUTSIDE of Louisiana) will draw more than 50,000 people.

Please.........before you rush to judgement here.......I promise you there is no Smack intended. I am just being realistic especially with all that has happened in Louisiana recently. A good portion of your base is gone (scattered around the U.S.) and those that escaped disaster or harm, are now concentrating on helping their love ones, relatives and friends. I don't think that people will be flying into N.O., Atl, B'ham, Hous or anywhere in droves to see the BC this year.

Before y'all start saying what you don't want and where you don't want to have the BC this year, I suggest that someone with a true eye for business and the acumen to make it happen RIGHT in the face of such tenuous possibilities really take a long look at this situation? Remember some SU followers stated last year before the SWAC Championship game that that they didn't want or need the support (paying sports fans) in B'ham because they were bringing at least 50,000 people from La. Didn't happen???? and attendance was not what it could have been.
Damn, I don't know where to start on this foolishness.
First, Houston. Houston has one of the largest concentration of Southern graduates anywhere, period. Then there are lots of other LA folks that did not go to school, but are SU-Gram fans that just migrate to Houston, (I am not refering to the evacuees, just over the years). You can't use PV-TSU as a measuring stick, because these folks ain't going to see either them sorry arse teams. Hell, a lot of them are in Baton Rouge every other week at the Southern games.

NEXT AND MOST IMPORTANT, people from LA and the kind of folks that come the the Bayou Classic LIKE TO GO TO HOUSTON. You bama folks just can't get in your heads or accept that folks DO NOT LIKE TO COME TO BIRMINGHAM. Maybe the reasons are valid, maybe they are not. For example, the BC and the SCG. There are lots and lots of folks that come the Bayou Classic and never go to the game, they go to the other events and to the partys, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO COME TO NEW ORLEANS. The SCG, on the other hand, NOBODY but the most dedicated football fans came to Birmingham and most just to see the game, and then they went home. The folks that came to the SCG from SOuthern would have went to the game even if it was in Klansville, Alabama, because they are diehard football fans. But the Bayou Classic needs to be at a place where the social part of the crowd likes to go, and Birmingham is at the ROCK BOTTOM of that list, below HOuston, below Alanta, below Memphis, below Shreveport, below Jackson, EVEN BELOW MOBILE. Every year that I have went to the SCG, I say to myself, "Damn 2 more Hours we could be in Atlanta".

IN the future, I will refer to it as Heatherham, for obvious reasons.

You are right we didn't bring 50,000 to Birmingham. We never will, you can't pay a lot of them to go to Birmingham. And the Bayou Classis won't either, but it would sell out Reiaint or the Ga. Dome

THE BAYOU CLASSIC WILL BE HELD IN HOUSTON ON IT'S TRADITIONAL DATE! LOOK FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SOMETIME NEXT WEEK

With love and support Houston and the State of Texas has shown to the Evacuee's from Louisiana, I definetly now don't have a problem with Houston hosting the game. :tup:

This is the saddest shat i have ever seen in my life !!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

There should only be two remote cities involved in this IMHO.

SHreveport

HOUSTON

Birmingham is just stupid as hell and detroit is worser'!!! :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

I see this is goign to be some stupid shat. I pray the folks on these boards do not listen to any of this BULLSHAT !!!!!!!!!!

BIRMINGHAM ????????????? :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

TruBluJAG said:
THE BAYOU CLASSIC WILL BE HELD IN HOUSTON ON IT'S TRADITIONAL DATE! LOOK FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SOMETIME NEXT WEEK

With love and support Houston and the State of Texas has shown to the Evacuee's from Louisiana, I definetly now don't have a problem with Houston hosting the game. :tup:

Cleb told you too? LOL

Just kidding... :emlaugh:

TruBluJAG said:

I assume that is Saturday, November 26th? What time do you think the game will be played? :lol:

majiksity said:
From The Birmingham News

City makes bid for Bayou Classic
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
SOLOMON CRENSHAW JR.
News staff writer

Birmingham could be the next best thing to the Bayou if city representatives are successful in bringing the 32nd annual Bayou Classic to Legion Field on Nov. 26.

The Bayou Classic, the annual football game between Western Division Southwestern Athletic Conference rivals Southern and Grambling State universities, is held each year at the New Orleans Superdome. The game annually draws about 70,000 but will be played elsewhere this year because of the damage the city and stadium sustained due to Hurricane Katrina.

Robert Vowels Jr., commissioner of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, said the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau is working with the city and Jefferson County to put together a proposal to the company that holds the Bayou Classic.

Bickerstaff Sports and Entertainment runs the Classic. Its CEO is Cydni Bickerstaff, the daughter of Bernie Bickerstaff, the general manager and head coach of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats.

"She is the point person looking at the proposals and then getting back with Southern and Grambling with those proposals," Vowels said. "I have heard between seven and eight cities have an interest in it but I don't know the ones in particular."

Bids must be submitted by noon Friday.

Vowels said the SWAC has no say in where the game will be played. He said it would be a coup for Birmingham to host the event.

"I believe that game, as far as economic impact, would have a value of about $16 million for the city with the hotels, dining, entertainment and other attractions," he said. "That would be huge for the city."

A call to Bickerstaff Sports and Entertainment netted little information.

"We have no comment about the situation," said BSE intern Tepricka Morgan. "Everything is up in the air and nothing has been really decided."

The Classic is televised nationally by NBC, and Vowels doesn't think that would change.

"It is a national game and I am sure they're going to work with the Bayou Classic any way possible," Vowels said. "I would assume everything else is go as usual, just trying to find the venue and city to play the game in."

E-mail: screnshaw@bhamnews.com

This is BS

Lewis said:
Damn, I don't know where to start on this foolishness.
First, Houston. Houston has one of the largest concentration of Southern graduates anywhere, period. Then there are lots of other LA folks that did not go to school, but are SU-Gram fans that just migrate to Houston, (I am not refering to the evacuees, just over the years). You can't use PV-TSU as a measuring stick, because these folks ain't going to see either them sorry arse teams. Hell, a lot of them are in Baton Rouge every other week at the Southern games.

NEXT AND MOST IMPORTANT, people from LA and the kind of folks that come the the Bayou Classic LIKE TO GO TO HOUSTON. You bama folks just can't get in your heads or accept that folks DO NOT LIKE TO COME TO BIRMINGHAM. Maybe the reasons are valid, maybe they are not. For example, the BC and the SCG. There are lots and lots of folks that come the Bayou Classic and never go to the game, they go to the other events and to the partys, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO COME TO NEW ORLEANS. The SCG, on the other hand, NOBODY but the most dedicated football fans came to Birmingham and most just to see the game, and then they went home. The folks that came to the SCG from SOuthern would have went to the game even if it was in Klansville, Alabama, because they are diehard football fans. But the Bayou Classic needs to be at a place where the social part of the crowd likes to go, and Birmingham is at the ROCK BOTTOM of that list, below HOuston, below Alanta, below Memphis, below Shreveport, below Jackson, EVEN BELOW MOBILE. Every year that I have went to the SCG, I say to myself, "Damn 2 more Hours we could be in Atlanta".

IN the future, I will refer to it as Heatherham, for obvious reasons.

You are right we didn't bring 50,000 to Birmingham. We never will, you can't pay a lot of them to go to Birmingham. And the Bayou Classis won't either, but it would sell out Reiaint or the Ga. Dome

Very well articulated...and just let me add some friendly amendments:

First, many people have relatives and friends in Houston and they stay with them when SU and Grambling plays OTHER teams and would do the same for the Bayou Classic, especially since the BC is Thanksgiving time. One allure of the game is that it is during a holiday season and Southernites, particularly, are coming HOME from all of the country. Houston would provide the same deal.

Next, in that same vein, we have NO ROOTS in Alabama. No connection, whatsoever, so there is no "flavor" for us in Birmingham. Additionally it is TOO FREAKIN' FAR to travel from Louisiana to Birmingham when it is 4 hours from the farthest points to Houston. If you drive the entire 610 loop around Houston, you will count up to 25+ (stop counting at 25) cars with Southern University plate trimmers. When we play PV and TxSo, we packed the stadium, fill the lot with tailgaters and party all over Houston the entire weekend. Now let the Bayou Classic be played there and the party will start Thursday night!!!!! Birmingham is FOREIGN! Even Jackson would be a more logical choice, because of proximity to the state and I ain't gon' lie, Jacksonians know who to throw down.

Lastly, the people who ATTEND the game come to be in NOLA and come for the game. Our alums who were living in NOLA and relocated can afford to fly/drive to Houston for the game. The improvished populace was not the Bayou Classic constituency. The ALUMNI and FRIENDS are the ones who came to the City and filled up the Superdome. I have friends who attended FAMU and Univ. of FL, they come to NOLA the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and stay until Sunday night, and they bring their children, come to the game, the concerts, the pageant, one of them participates in the job fair...they represent a large group of folk who love the Bayou Classic and New Orleans. If the Bayou Classic was moved to Houston, THEY, MANY will still come.

You are way off the mark, but that's because you do not know!

Thank you Birmingham, but NO THANK YA, hea?

gramuntildeath said:
SU would possibly bring a following of 20-25,000 and Gram would bring approx 10-15,000 TRANSLATED: :what: :what: :what: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mississippi Valley State 31, Southern 28 (Itta Bena, MS: Rice-Totten Stadium ? 8,473 att.)

I rest my case. :smash:

STRAWDOG said:
Mississippi Valley State 31, Southern 28 (Itta Bena, MS: Rice-Totten Stadium ? 8,473 att.)

How many people does Valley's stadium seat? :slap:

Christ, will this thread die already? Basically it doesn't make sense to move that game outside of LA. The best place to do it will probably be Death Valley. Of course Gram will want no part of that considering that Death Valley is just down the road from SU.

Already faced with the possiblity of losing the Sugar Bowl, I highly doubt that the state will let the BC get out of dodge too.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Great posts, Lewis and SS. :tup:

I sure wish the powers that be would go ahead and make a decision, though...I am so sick of this topic. :smh:

STRAWDOG said:

Dude, I hope you realize that a crowd of 8473 in Rice-Totten stadium is over 84% of capacity.

Again...sometimes the best response is no response at all.

Yall "done" got me all excited about the Bayou Classic and it aint but week 3 of the season! :lol:

The Bayou Classic will be in Houston this year. Birmingham doesn't have the capacity to handle the masses that come to participate in the tradition.

Are you crazy as hell....

If Birmingham can handle the SEC Championship game and the ALabama-Auburn game for years... the Bayou wouldnt be ****..... you couldnt compare the Bayou Classic to the Alabama-Auburn game for ****.

DAHILL said:

If Birmingham can handle the SEC Championship game and the ALabama-Auburn game for years... the Bayou wouldnt be ****..... you couldnt compare the Bayou Classic to the Alabama-Auburn game for ****.
I am not going to argue if Heatherham could handle (handle meaning opening the gates to the staduim and a reasonable amount of hotels) this event. But I know one thing, if any adminstrator at Southern even recommended Heatherham (Birmingham) he wouldn't be able to come on campus for about a week for all the folks that would be in his isht. He would have definatley missed the "Open my big mouth and say the wrong damn thing" class held by Micheal Grant.

:jump:
DAHILL said:

NOBODY wants to freakin go to Alabama for the BAYOU CLASSIC..

Let's just be real about it.. Bham just wants the money GSU and SU brings... Just have your turkey day classic and be happy!!

This is the worst idea ever!!! This must be a joke!! Screw this crap man..

Yall can keep the SEC Champ game... NOBODY CARES!!!!

JR said:
SU and GSU aint PV and TxSU. Houston, Texas is full of La people(SU's largest alumni chapter outside of La) plus it close to both schools fan bases in La. Not to mention the BC is an event and not just a game. So the excuses TBF and others use about Houston only applies to them and will not apply to the BC being there. The "too much to do in Houston" will be the BC and all the events surrounding it. H-town would be off the chain if it happens.

I have been to the Magic City Classic (great weather), Turkey Day Classic (25-45 DEGREES), and the Bayou Classic (the weather did not matter). A cold weathered Bayou Classic will make the Bayou Classic just another game. JR, H-Town or Atlanta will allow the events surrounding the Classic to still be in place and the fans can sit back and enjoy the game in a relaxed atmosphere.

Gotta agree with ya!

AIN'T A GOTT DANG THING IN SHREVEPORT BUT LAND. IT AIN'T NUTHIN BUT AN OVERSIZED PONDEROSA

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

And further more the city of Shreveport has never treated *ramblin or SU fairly. Hell they gave more concession to the damn independence ?rejects? bowl then they did when they were trying supposedly to attractive the BC before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back