Not open for further replies.

majiksity

King/Queen Maker
From The Birmingham News

City makes bid for Bayou Classic
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
SOLOMON CRENSHAW JR.
News staff writer

Birmingham could be the next best thing to the Bayou if city representatives are successful in bringing the 32nd annual Bayou Classic to Legion Field on Nov. 26.

The Bayou Classic, the annual football game between Western Division Southwestern Athletic Conference rivals Southern and Grambling State universities, is held each year at the New Orleans Superdome. The game annually draws about 70,000 but will be played elsewhere this year because of the damage the city and stadium sustained due to Hurricane Katrina.

Robert Vowels Jr., commissioner of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, said the Greater Birmingham Convention and Visitors Bureau is working with the city and Jefferson County to put together a proposal to the company that holds the Bayou Classic.

Bickerstaff Sports and Entertainment runs the Classic. Its CEO is Cydni Bickerstaff, the daughter of Bernie Bickerstaff, the general manager and head coach of the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats.

"She is the point person looking at the proposals and then getting back with Southern and Grambling with those proposals," Vowels said. "I have heard between seven and eight cities have an interest in it but I don't know the ones in particular."

Bids must be submitted by noon Friday.

Vowels said the SWAC has no say in where the game will be played. He said it would be a coup for Birmingham to host the event.

"I believe that game, as far as economic impact, would have a value of about $16 million for the city with the hotels, dining, entertainment and other attractions," he said. "That would be huge for the city."

A call to Bickerstaff Sports and Entertainment netted little information.

"We have no comment about the situation," said BSE intern Tepricka Morgan. "Everything is up in the air and nothing has been really decided."

The Classic is televised nationally by NBC, and Vowels doesn't think that would change.

"It is a national game and I am sure they're going to work with the Bayou Classic any way possible," Vowels said. "I would assume everything else is go as usual, just trying to find the venue and city to play the game in."

E-mail: screnshaw@bhamnews.com

uh...you would definitely kill the SCG with that....try telling SU or GSU fans (assuming their team makes it) to come back in 2 weeks...:lmao:

bottom line....the classic needs to be in a place that's easily accesible by air or car and plenty of amenities and close to the school's alumni bases along with an area that'll bring a significant number of non-SWAC fans to the game

Houston wins hands down

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The Jag and Tiger fans are not use to a Bayou Classic in possible 35 - 50 chilly degree weather. Do you remember how cold it is at the SWAC Championship game? This is not a good idea under the current circumstances.

the band fan said:
didn't they cut stadium capacity?

its still 80,000.... they took down the upper level on the visitors side... it held 6,000. It originally held 86,000.

I don't think a domed stadium like Houston or Atlanta has the inside track for the Bayou Classic. The other option in Shreveport and that's followed by Birmingham with Jackson bringing up the rear.

But I do have a feeling that the SWAC is going to try to get the Bayou Classic to come to Birmingham. I just don't see our conference, whose headquarters is in Birmingham, not trying to lure the biggest HBCU football matchup Birmingham.

They'll probably give them free use of Legion Field and all ticket sales/concessions.

Antroy said:
I don't think a domed stadium like Houston or Atlanta has the inside track for the Bayou Classic. The other option in Shreveport and that's followed by Birmingham with Jackson bringing up the rear.

But I do have a feeling that the SWAC is going to try to get the Bayou Classic to come to Birmingham. I just don't see our conference, whose headquarters is in Birmingham, not trying to lure the biggest HBCU football matchup Birmingham.

They'll probably give them free use of Legion Field and all ticket sales/concessions.

The SWAC has no say so in this. They can't tell SU and GSU where to play the game. All they can say is the game will be played. Besides we all know Vowels don't have no balls. The SWAC presidents run the show. I can't believe you think that after Shreveport..... that Jackson and B-ham lead the way. Are you kidding me. If that game leaves La, it will be played in Houston more than likely. I seriously doubt anyone from GSU or SU or the state of La will approve the game going to Jackson or B-ham. BTW, the word is that Houston is putting up the dollars. So B-ham can take the free isht and go away. The BC aint the SCG. We are much bigger than that.

JSTUS said:
FUN-E. :lmao:

COSIGN !!!!!!!!!!

The two schools ought to feel like they are at an auction or somethin !!!!!!!!!

Birmingham ???????????????

GOTDAYUM ROBERT "LOOSE "VOWELS IS A DUMBAZZ !!!!!!!!

He need to be to trying to pumped up the scg !!!!!!!!!!

BIRMINGHAM ??????????????

WTF :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

JR said:
Houston is putting up the dollars. So B-ham can take the free isht and go away. The BC aint the SCG. We are much bigger than that.

The SEC chose B'ham and was in B'ham for some time. And its nothing out there bigger than the SEC. If you don't believe me look at the top ten teams in the Div.I polls.

HORNETSWARM said:
The SEC chose B'ham and was in B'ham for some time. And its nothing out there bigger than the SEC. If you don't believe me look at the top ten teams in the Div.I polls.

Uh the SEC is now in the ATL. BTW, last time I checked we aint the SEC. B-ham isn't going to give us what they would give the SEC. Besides why would we want to play the BC in B-ham? We can't get local support for the SCG. At least one thing for sure, if the BC is in Houston, the locals would support it better than B-ham would just base on the number of La natives that reside there and being that Texas is next door. Playing the BC in Bham would kill the SCG as well especially if SU or Gram is there. People will not come back to back to Bama. I don't know why people think B-ham is the answer to all the SWAC issues. We got cities willing to pay big loot to get the BC. Aint no way B-ham can outbid cities like Houston or the ATL if this turns into a bidding war. Free use of the stadium aint going to cut it for the BC. We have to equal or exceed what we do if the game could have been played in New Orleans.

If its not Houston or Atlanta, then B'ham would be the most logical choice. Shreveport and Jackson stadiums don't hold 80,000 people. Not even the Superdome,Georgiadome and the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. :nod2:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
GREAT DAY! You people kill me. You act as if Birmingham is a cancer or something. Granted, its no New Orleans but Jesus Christ its not the worst either. It has its highs and lows like every other city in America. I sit and read all of the comments that you guys make about Birmingham, but it is no worse than Baton Rouge, Jackson, and the likes.

Can't knock B'ham nor Jackson for throwing their names in the hat. Logistically it may not make since for the BC to be in B'ham considering that both schools are from LA, but considering who is playing I do believe that it would still be a sellout anyways. Gene Hallman and the Alabama Sports Foundation will do what ever is needed to show that we can put on a good show.

JR said:
At least one thing for sure, if the BC is in Houston, the locals would support it better than B-ham would just base on the number of La natives that reside there and being that Texas is next door.

based on what??? The locals in Houston dont even support Texas So or PV. "Its too much to do in Houston" is the excuse that we usually get from them.

DAHILL said:
based on what??? The locals in Houston dont even support Texas So or PV. "Its too much to do in Houston" is the excuse that we usually get from them.

SU and GSU aint PV and TxSU. Houston, Texas is full of La people(SU's largest alumni chapter outside of La) plus it close to both schools fan bases in La. Not to mention the BC is an event and not just a game. So the excuses TBF and others use about Houston only applies to them and will not apply to the BC being there. The "too much to do in Houston" will be the BC and all the events surrounding it. H-town would be off the chain if it happens.

DAHILL said:

Understand this, black Houstonians WILL SUPPORT a polished, winning, well structured, tried and trued product such as the Bayou Classic and at this time the Labor Day Classic with Prairie View and Texas Southern is not what they are looking for but the Bayou Classic is all of what I described above.

wbishop3 said:
GREAT DAY! You people kill me. You act as if Birmingham is a cancer or something. Granted, its no New Orleans but Jesus Christ its not the worst either. It has its highs and lows like every other city in America. I sit and read all of the comments that you guys make about Birmingham, but it is no worse than Baton Rouge, Jackson, and the likes.

Can't knock B'ham nor Jackson for throwing their names in the hat. Logistically it may not make since for the BC to be in B'ham considering that both schools are from LA, but considering who is playing I do believe that it would still be a sellout anyways. Gene Hallman and the Alabama Sports Foundation will do what ever is needed to show that we can put on a good show.

Well, BHam isn't a cancer, but I for one don't want to take a chance of sitting in 35-degree weather. If the game is played in a domed stadium, then it doesn't matter what the weather. You know most classics have a side "fashion show"; I would hate for anyone to be sporting a chinchilla coat and gators and then be subject to the rain and the cold.

Houston, ATL, Detroit; I don't care; just give me a dome or insure me some decent temperatures.

The game would do better in Atlanta than Houston... bottom line... club scene would be better... and it would autimatically sell out just because its in the Ga Dome. the Ga Dome sells out everything.

DAHILL said:
The game would do better in Atlanta than Houston... bottom line... club scene would be better... and it would autimatically sell out just because its in the Ga Dome. the Ga Dome sells out everything.

Spoken like someone who's never been to Houston.

C-LeB28 said:
Interesting (thanks Jafus)

well I retract that statement... the Pioneer Bowl was a flop in ATL... basically nobody wanted to see no SIAC/CIAA teams and the college students were away for Christmas break.... but when two teams with names come to ATL itwill sell out... ex TSU-FAMU game... and the Honda BOTB could not get the number of attendees nowhere else in America. With the timing of the event it would be a guaranteed sell out. With the Ga dome being in the middle of 5 points and the AUC directly across the street from it, the atmosphere would be wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back