SWAC Baseball Tourney 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
1 run, but that was it. They actually got some hits and scored runs that way but they only scored 1 run off of an error.

Bama St only had 1 earned run. TJ pitched great. Huge SU could run its midweek starter out and get a victory in Game 1. But I will say this, TJ would be a weekend starter for alot of other SWAC teams.

I hope the swac goes back to only letting the top 3 teams in the baseball tournament. Every year a sub par # 4 seed sneaks in and they have a horrible record.

:tup: Exactly. Taking 4 out of 5 teams is to much in baseball. The level of play would be so much better.

Bama State is by far the worst team in the tournament, hands down.

They are fundamentally unsound and I refuse to watch such a display. And I'm a baseball fan. A coaching change is needed. The former Jackson St coach appears to be the leading contender for the job. We now have the facilities to attract better talent and be competitive.

They are fundamentally unsound and I refuse to watch such a display. And I'm a baseball fan. A coaching change is needed. The former Jackson St coach appears to be the leading contender for the job. We now have the facilities to attract better talent and be competitive.

Who Salter?????? Sorry but if so :lol: .

Bautista of Grambling may not be an over powering pitcher in terms of velocity, but he is very effective. Starting him game 1 may pay off big for Cooper over the course of the tournament. He can now play a position in the field, and his arm will be rested if needed later on.

Yeah that was smart on Coopers behalf to pitch him first, his confidence is up and once his is up that energy flows through out the team. I knew the game against Valley would be tough because they are the top fielding team in the SWAC but once you make errors, the G-Men will capitalize on them and that is just what happened. The Alcorn vs GSU game should be a nice one.

Grambling 2011 SWAC Baseball Tourney News...

bilde

Grambling's Chris Wolfe makes a throw during Wedneday's game. / Greg Pearson/The Times​

With the way Richard Bautista pitched, GSU (23-24) never lacked for confidence. The sophomore right-hander tossed a complete-game, six-hitter to improve to 7-2. Bautista got stronger as the game progressed. After needing 81 pitches to get through the first four innings, Bautista finished the final five innings in a tidy 65 pitches.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20110518/SPORTS/110518014/Grambling-opens-SWAC-tourney-win

Re: Grambling 2011 SWAC Baseball Tourney News...

bilde

Mississippi Valley’s Nick Fangonilo, left, is tagged out at home plate Wednesday as he collides with Grambling catcher Demario Cummings during the SWAC Baseball Tournament at Fair Grounds Field in Shreveport. / Greg Pearson/Shreveport Times

In the top of the seventh, the No. 3 Delta Devils strung together three consecutive two-out singles, the last of which dropped in front of GSU center fielder Eldred Barnett.
Barnett fielded the ball on the run and fired home to catcher Demario Cummings. The throw put Cummings in perfect position to block the plate as MVSU's Nick Fangonilo attempted a slide. He slid straight into Cummings' shin guards and was tagged out to end the inning.
"As an outfielder, I'm always looking for the opportunity to make a big play like that," Barnett said. "So when the ball was hit, I was ready. When I caught the ball the guy was just going around third, and I said, 'OK, I've got an opportunity to throw him out.'"

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20110519/SPORTS/105190312/Right-formula

Man, can't sneak anything past you mods (lol). Tried to start a GSU only thread but got busted by the "night shift". I gotta give it to yall... you fellas/ladies be "on it"!

~Snicker~

Bama St only had 1 earned run. TJ pitched great. Huge SU could run its midweek starter out and get a victory in Game 1. But I will say this, TJ would be a weekend starter for alot of other SWAC teams.

I knew it was something like that. Majority of the teams had pitchers who pitched complete games. lol

8 errors...couldn't be a fun game to watch.
The 1st 3 innings were not.... Bama state scored their 1st 2 runs on errors. Pryor pitched real well and went the distance. Bama State didn't look too bad. They had a lefty that was impressive.

Didn't see the gram/valley game yesterday. But the other 2 games were well played. Nobody in the SWAC can hit a curveball. On my way to day 2.

Sidenote....DCG loves J-State!!!:love: She offered to take a man with a J-State cap on to his hotel........:ebrow:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

As far as the facility, I texted SUJag and told him they need to power wash the stadium badly. Come to find out a lot of kids were there earlier this week or the end of last week. They must have given out free M&M's......

As far as the facility, I texted SUJag and told him they need to power wash the stadium badly. Come to find out a lot of kids were there earlier this week or the end of last week. They must have given out free M&M's......

Do they play HS or semi pro games there seems like the grass and field is worn out like someone is still playing there or is the minor league Giants club still there

Who will be on the mound today for JSU? I'm glad its not Drains.

Today's first game pushed back to 9:30. Sprinklers were left on and forgot to take them off auto. :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back