SWAC and MEAC announcement this afternoon "Celebration Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the argument to end the SCG now that this bowl game is officially set. If anything, the bowl game adds more value to the SCG as the winner knows they get to play again if they win the SCG.

Kenn I think most people want to keep the SCG but end a 9 game mandate...

I say we create all HBCU basketball and baseball tournaments as well. Let's completely separate ourselves.
NCAA basketball tourney pays a pretty good amount to the conference, mostly based on the TV deal. No way would 2 conferences get a TV deal for basketball that pays each conference what the NCAA tourney pays.

NCAA basketball tourney pays a pretty good amount to the conference, mostly based on the TV deal. No way would 2 conferences get a TV deal for basketball that pays each conference what the NCAA tourney pays.

How much does the SWAC and MEAC get?

DaHill,

Let's say the SWAC goes to an 8-game schedule. With the SCG and now the Celebration Bowl ... the actual possibility of the top teams from the East and West not playing until the SCG will add more intrigue ... which, in theory, means more asses in the seats.

But I'm grasping for straws I guess ...

How can a name be gay?

I mean if nobody thought that about "The Rainbow Coalition" how can something named after a kids amusement park be gay?

DaHill,

Let's say the SWAC goes to an 8-game schedule. With the SCG and now the Celebration Bowl ... the actual possibility of the top teams from the East and West not playing until the SCG will add more intrigue ... which, in theory, means more asses in the seats.

But I'm grasping for straws I guess ...

But what if one of the East teams get Southern and Grambling..... and another SWAC East team gets Texas SO and UAPB..... would that be fair? All Im saying is that no matter what SOMEBODY is going to be upset.

But what if one of the East teams get Southern and Grambling..... and another SWAC East team gets Texas SO and UAPB..... would that be fair? All Im saying is that no matter what SOMEBODY is going to be upset.

Yes, because that would not be the case every year. The schedule would rotate.

Have to figure out a 8-game rotation somehow...

I like the idea of both, the swac championship and the celebration bowl. We are creating what the FBS Playoffs have now basically, a four team playoff to determine the National Champions (HBCU National Champions). The publicity and being on National TV 2 weeks in a row is great!

I don't understand the argument to end the SCG now that this bowl game is officially set. If anything, the bowl game adds more value to the SCG as the winner knows they get to play again if they win the SCG.

EXACTLY!!! The SCG means something now!!!

Now I can agree with going to a 7 game mandate now.

My view on getting rid of the SCG....

If I have to choose between Lorman/Jackson and Houston/Atlanta, Houston/Atlanta will win nearly everytime.

The stupidest thing the Jackson, MS Airport Authority could have done was let Southwest Airlines leave. Now Southwest Airlines is thriving (of course it would. Who doesn't like saving $50 in baggage fees?).

I think the SCG should stay. Now, success of the Celebration Classic will be, in similararity to the SCG moving to Houston, depend on the first three Celebration Classic Games. Follow me:

SCG move to Houston:

SU vs. JSU
SU vs. Alcorn
SWAC West Champ vs. Alcorn

Ideally, for the celebration classic, you want

SU or JSU or Alcorn or Grambling vs. FAMU
Grambling vs. NC A&T (The Drama)
Alcorn (Coaching Dynamic) vs. FAMU, NC A&T or possibly Hampton

Oh BTW........

Wouldn't it be cool if a SWAC and MEAC team that played each other in the regular season played again that same season in the Celebration Classic?

THIS GAME NOW PUTS PRESSURE ON OOC SCHEDULING!!!! Just like Alcorn played SU twice in 2014, no reason why Alcorn cannot play FAMU twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back