No Ed Reed After All

Status
Not open for further replies.
My SWAC brothers... here's my first post when the new broke about the hire:

"All I ask is he just come to coach and grow young boys into men. Be humble, able to teach and groom. Please don't come with an ego. It won't work well. Competitive gamesman, learn the coaches role and move on when the time is right"

Quite honestly, we have to realize what our "do better " is for our HBCUs. They were and will always be built by " true grit"
Our brothers who have made it have to understand that.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I really hate that it had to happen this way because I honestly believe Ed can be a really good coach. Some things simply aren't acceptable. If the man cooking fries at Wendy's went on live and made a post like Ed, Dave Thomas would fire him too. I believe there may be a certain level of entitlement that some (I'm not going to paint them all like that) of the celebrity coaches bring because of where they've been and what they believe they should have. That's fine; just don't go on social media with it.

I really hate that it had to happen this way because I honestly believe Ed can be a really good coach. Some things simply aren't acceptable. If the man cooking fries at Wendy's went on live and made a post like Ed, Dave Thomas would fire him too. I believe there may be a certain level of entitlement that some (I'm not going to paint them all like that) of the celebrity coaches bring because of where they've been and what they believe they should have. That's fine; just don't go on social media with it.

I rewatched the video and it's sad as he said the truth about some things - especially the AD with dual roles - he went about it the wrong way unfortunately and we don't know what in the hell went down in negotiations

Long term white coordinator's in the SWAC like Mark Orlando, John Shannon and Michael Vite also never talked openly and publicly bad about our schools.

It has been a hell of spectacle to see and hear Deion and Ed accept the only olive branch offered to them and then turn on HBCUs with the misdirected anger and frustration they should of had for white schools and their alma mater.
Whites are typically treated better at HBCUs than blacks.

It has been a hell of spectacle to see and hear Deion and Ed accept the only olive branch offered to them and then turn on HBCUs with the misdirected anger and frustration they should of had for white schools and their alma mater.

Because those white schools know what they did and got away with while playing there.
Along with seeing how toxic some have been in the pros. On and off the field and in locker rooms.

They don't want those guys there. Despite some of them helping in creating those monsters in the first place.

It's amazing how Deion and Ed said Good sent them yet they did the devil's work by trying to air bad information about the people they said God sent them. Hobson the white guy left a HBCU and never talked publicly bad about the school. See the difference. BCU do like Alcorn and get you a white coordinator looking for a coaching gig. Leave them ninjas alone.
he ain't swac but he at least knows how to keep his mouth shut.

why should either of them have any "misdirected anger and frustration" for their alma maters?

Whites are typically treated better at HBCUs than blacks.
Tell that lie you just told to Michael Vite whom had to put up with racial slurs being hurled at him from the stands while he was at my Texas Southern. You know what, a lie is an intentional act so I'm going to take some of that back since you probably was just simply unaware.

Last edited:
why should either of them have any "misdirected anger and frustration" for their alma maters?
In both of their cases the schools they attended were not about to give them a chance as a head coach any more than the other PWIs. The venom they spued on HBCUs should have been for those that told them run negroe run, but don't think you're coming here to be a head coach.

Last edited:
Because those white schools know what they did and got away with while playing there.
Along with seeing how toxic some have been in the pros. On and off the field and in locker rooms.

They don't want those guys there. Despite some of them helping in creating those monsters in the first place.
I get that, the point is none of our HBCUs warranted the shyt these guys had to say. Deion didn't even have a degree, Talladega fast tracked him or someone else that was actually doing the course work to get him a degree. Ask your self do you think those old azz thirty year credits on his transcript from FSU, in who knows what, could of actually been transferred in without some folks over-looking something during the evaluating process to accommodate him? Jackson State offered him the opportunity to fulfill his dream and be a head coach, an opportunity he couldn't get from anywhere else despite his celebrity and marketing acumen. He is at P5 now because the opportunity THEE provided.

Ed Reed been screaming, well apparently been cussing and going on tirades for a while, that he wanted to be a head coach and it only fell on death ears until an HBCU offered that opportunity.

Talladega, Jackson State and Bethune Cookman stepped up to provide an opportunity for these black men that should have been cherished by them, and not be seen by them as an opportunity to do otherwise on their huge celebratory platforms and virtual platforms.

Why the white schools, including their alma maters, didn't give them a chance is irrelevant to the point I was making far as I'm concerned but I understand your post.

Last edited:
Great players often do not make good coaches. They either lack patience with their players or know only one way to play a position or the sport.

Sure, there have been great players who became successful coaches, but one must be REALLY careful when thinking about hiring a great player to coach a team.

Anyway, here is an article (actually from the L.A. Times) from 1989 on a great player who went into coaching.

----------

As High School Coach, Ken Houston Is a Pro With His Kids
BY LEONARD SHAPIRO
OCT. 1, 1989 12 AM PT

THE WASHINGTON POST

HOUSTON — Ken Houston is standing in the middle of a high-school gym trying to convince a couple of bashful and slightly self-conscious teen-age boys that the Harlem Shuffle isn’t quite as hard as it might look. Then he starts to demonstrate. Two steps to the right, kick, two steps to the left, kick. Soon the boys and their gym teacher are almost in step, clapping their hands and dancing to the music just as the bell rings mercifully to end the school day.

“Some things just never change,” Houston says later. “The boys still hate to dance, and the girls still hate to play basketball.”

These days the man George Allen once described as the best strong safety in the history of professional football still looks as if he could play the game. He is almost 44, lean and muscular as he walks the halls of Westbury High School in blue coaching shorts, a polo shirt, high white socks and sneakers.

He teaches four physical education classes a day at the Houston school, patrols the corridors, coaches the varsity football team and serves as the athletic director. Every morning he’s up at dawn to get to school for first period, and many days he’s not home until 8 or 9 at night. There are practices to oversee, films to review, lifting in the weight room, skull sessions with his team and his staff.

Still, it’s all he ever wanted to do. He knows that now, though people keep asking him why he’s coaching high school when he would seem to be an ideal candidate to be in the pros, perhaps even as a man who surely could become the first black head coach in the NFL.

Houston does not rule out the possibility of getting back to the pros. But he has a bitter taste from his last experience. He spent four years as an assistant with the Houston Oilers, then lost his job when defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville replaced Hugh Campbell as coach in 1986. Houston thought sure his colleague would ask him to stay on to coach a secondary that he built from scratch with four rookies. But the phone call never came, and Houston decided then and there to take a different path.

But Houston doesn’t waste much breath talking about the past, because his present and his future don’t allow much time for reminiscing. He still sees his old teammates every once in a while. Diron Talbert lives in town and they cross paths. Alvin Reed, a college and pro teammate as a tight end at Prairie View and with the Oilers, and traded with him to the Redskins for five players in 1973, is still his best friend and lives 30 minutes away, working as a community-relations expert with the city’s Metro system. Even Jack Pardee, his last coach in Washington, is just a few miles down the freeway as coach of the University of Houston.

Like I said earlier, great players often do not make good coaches. Sure, there have been successful coaches who were great players. Steve Spurrier, a Heisman trophy winner, had huge success at Florida and won an ACC title at Duke, but could be brutal on quarterbacks. I think that the best NBA team I saw was the 1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers. They were coached by Billy Cunningham, a hall of fame player who was on the 75th NBA anniversary team.

Therefore, I support what BCU did. I do not think it was just the best decision to be made. It was the only decision that they could make.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Long term white coordinator's in the SWAC like Mark Orlando, John Shannon and Michael Vite also never talked openly and publicly bad about our schools.

Ed didn’t even give it some time, so him and Deion aren’t on the same level in this one. Yes Deion rolled out, but he did put in some work.

Mark, John and Vite doesn’t mean white is right, so when it comes to what we are dealing with right now, screw giving them praises.

I also don’t agree that Deion has “turned” on HBCUs. Although his famed name and media glow might have painted him as the HBCU Messiah, he was never that in my eyes. He was just another former NFL Player to land a FCS Job. Luckily, JSU had him and got their moment on the National Stage. I don’t like the fact that he left after 3 seasons, but it happens in the FCS and G5 world every year. Deion moved on, and the JSU must as well. Ed on the other, made too much noise before moving in.

Where is @SUJagFan ? We need to cuss dis muddafukka' completely out for showing his natural black batch assed like dis in front of the world. lol

BCU did what was right. The way Reed is emotionally geared, like a bipolar eoller-coaster infused w/ CTE, we would need extra security to keep him, his staff, and his infused student-athletes away from us peaceful, legal people. smh

The student-athletes at BCU deserve much better than this.
:D

Ed Reed is a bull in a china shop.

"It ain't what you say, but how you say it. It ain't what you do, but how you do it."

Several things can be true at once:

1) I can unapologetically support Ed's honesty and passion.
2) Some folks still need to be cussed out - a time and place for everything.
3) Consequences are automatic. We cannot escape the consequences of the things we do - or neglect to do. Ed is suffering the consequences of his actions. However, it can be argued that the administrators and staff of BCU are suffering the consequences of their neglect and inaction.

Righteous indignation has to be focused and channeled appropriately to be effective.

It's not enough to be right. You must find a way to be effective.

In this situation, there are no winners. There are a whole lot of consequences for ineffective behavior to go around though.

You're right. The students deserve much better from everybody involved. So do the alums and fans.

Last edited:
I know what I am typing will not be popular on this site. However, if Ed Reed is right the BCU players and students will stand with him on his stance. If he was wrong it will be business as usual. This is not just a BCU issue, it's an issue at both HBCU's and PWI's. Accountability is crucial. In addition, the students at AAMU had to go to the media concerning dorm issues to get change.

I know what I am typing will not be popular on this site. However, if Ed Reed is right the BCU players and students will stand with him on his stance. If he was wrong it will be business as usual. This is not just a BCU issue, it's an issue at both HBCU's and PWI's. Accountability is crucial. In addition, the students at AAMU had to go to the media concerning dorm issues to get change.
Howard students had to as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back