No Ed Reed After All

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the amount of money the schools in the AUC and Howard charge, they definitely should be able to at least provide decent dorm rooms. It costs 45k a year to go to Spelman, 41k a year for Howard. It's hard to convince me that they're not able to improve the dorms.
I have no argument with your position as it pertains to those schools. What you're describing happens when the students interest are not front and center as they should be.

typical - you followed your parent's footsteps and kids followed yours and I assume you've lived pretty well thanks to HBCUs so just pull the plug and let others prosper?

again, PWC's don't do anything better - some are funded better so its easier to solve problems when you can money whip people and people run away when they get paid - Black folks and other minorities won't spread their ill wills at a PWC unless something major happens but will dog us out over the basics when a lot of the problems are brought up by themselves

HBCU's don't cater to egos and traditionally never do so what do you expect? When you hire an ego maniac it'll never end well
PWCs are funded better because they know how to build working relationships with each other instead of fighting with each other. I left an HBCU to work here at a PWC but unlike Deon Sanders, I did it for less money. I saw the difference within a year. That funding argument is 60 years old now. If you know that is the case you have to do something different.

My parents are products of HBCUs. My wife and I along with my kids also graduated from one. So, I have a perspective from 3 generations and 3 different schools. They need to close them all. It is all the same with these institutions, they do not accept change very quickly. Most of them are run like when my parents attended. My parents had no choice. Whatever situation you found you had to deal with it because you could not go anyplace else. The substandard living environment and verbal and sometimes physical abuse were common. With my parents, you could take it as character builders but the world has changed. These kids today have more choices. With the rising cost of college, the kids are to the point of being better off not going to college at all let alone an HBCU. They are not the first in their family to go to college. They don’t come from the Ghetto with single-parent homes. Because of social media, they are more informed and connected than ever before. HBCUs cannot and in most cases will not adjust to these changes. They need to be like the Negro baseball leagues of the past, something you read about or have ceremonies about once or twice a year.

Of all the stuff I'd like to go away, never once thought to get rid of universities that have a USG designation of HBCU. Let along come on an HBCU site and post that 🤣

Changes in 1986

The 1986 amendments to the HEA included the creation of a funding stream for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The proposal enjoyed bipartisan support.[5]

Of all the stuff I'd like to go away, never once thought to get rid of universities that have a USG designation of HBCU. Let along come on an HBCU site and post that 🤣

Changes in 1986

The 1986 amendments to the HEA included the creation of a funding stream for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). The proposal enjoyed bipartisan support.[5]
Well, I'm different. It took me a long time to realize the follow the pack mentality does not work. Especially if you want to see change for others

PWCs are funded better because they know how to build working relationships with each other instead of fighting with each other. I left an HBCU to work here at a PWC but unlike Deon Sanders, I did it for less money. I saw the difference within a year. That funding argument is 60 years old now. If you know that is the case you have to do something different.
So it has nothing to do with them funneling more money into them, old slave money and wealthy alumni which most of our universities lack. But its all black mismanagement. SMH

Well, I'm different. It took me a long time to realize the follow the pack mentality does not work. Especially if you want to see change for others

How do change something if it no longer exists?

You mentioned the Negro League. Someone pointed out that those Negro League teams should have been absorbed into the Major League. That way, you would have had black owned teams. You want the opposite...or what actually happened to the NL.

Lots of HBCUs are in university systems. You'd be a knucklehead to throw that away.

Blame for everything and credit for nothing.

Some of you are clearly bat shat crazy. HBCU’s only represent 3% of the nation’s colleges but produce 20% of all AA college graduates and 25% of STEM graduates. Make it make sense!!! 🤣 Let’s just carve up a significant portion of black intellectuals to appease those that believe we’re monolithic. Where they do that at?🤣🤣🤣

So it has nothing to do with them funneling more money into them, old slave money and wealthy alumni which most of our universities lack. But its all black mismanagement. SMH
I don't like to use the stereotype of black mismanagement, because that's an old one too. HBCUs are working with less. it really comes down to how we get along with each and not setting common goals. I've seen it so many times. For a long time, I thought it was just me. But I see it's more than just me. Especially when your own kids are telling you they are dealing with the same problems your parents dealt with. You have to realize if a change can't be made then get rid of all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back