JSU Who is on the List as the Next Coach

JSU's next coach is a fool.

There's a saying: Avoid stepping into a great man's shoes.

You never want to be that guy. You will never measure up. Never be able to meet the expectations. You want to be the guy AFTER this next guy. Because whoever is up next is going to look bad no matter what he does.

I think Ashley has nailed it as far as his last 3 football coaching hires so he deserves descretion when it comes to choosing the next head coach.

The circumstances with this hire are unique because this is the most attractive FCS job out there and arguably better than most of the FBS jobs that are available. TC would be my choice BUT after Deion endorsed him, I would avoid him at all costs which is sad for him. Either TC or Dancy (who I know will apply for obvious reasons) should get it because they are JSU guys and knowingly would stay 4-5 years to stablilize the Deion fallout but as previously mentioned, JSU is the top FCS job so do you go for another home run hire who can somewhat keep the momentum going or going with a proven college coach.

I think Ashley has nailed it as far as his last 3 football coaching hires so he deserves descretion when it comes to choosing the next head coach.

The circumstances with this hire are unique because this is the most attractive FCS job out there and arguably better than most of the FBS jobs that are available. TC would be my choice BUT after Deion endorsed him, I would avoid him at all costs which is sad for him. Either TC or Dancy (who I know will apply for obvious reasons) should get it because they are JSU guys and knowingly would stay 4-5 years to stablilize the Deion fallout but as previously mentioned, JSU is the top FCS job so do you go for another home run hire who can somewhat keep the momentum going or going with a proven college coach.
How is coach Dancy's Valley pulse bruh?

👀

Replacing Deion Sanders: 10 possible candidates for next Jackson State football coach

JACKSON — The departure of Deion Sanders to Colorado surely didn't catch Jackson State athletics director Ashley Robinson off guard. He received three seasons from Sanders, who helped impact the school in revenue generation, national exposure and recruiting.

A new venture was only a matter of time.

Kevin Sumlin, Houston Gamblers coach​

Not the most likely candidate, but he's first on this wish list. Even better, Sumlin should be available after coaching the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. The former Texas A&M coach has been successful nearly everywhere he's been, and he coaches Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel at A&M. everywhere and coached Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. Along with his tenures at Houston and Arizona, Sumlin has a career record of 95-63.

Willie Simmons, Florida A&M coach​

This is not as farfetched as one might think. Robinson bonds with his coaches and wants a family feel, and Florida A&M's Willie Simmons and Robinson have a connection that goes back years — Robinson hired him as the coach at Prairie View in 2014 and worked with him through 2017. While there, Simmons amassed a 22-11 record before taking the FAMU job. He has a 51-23 record overall and would be an easy sell for the JSU fanbase.

Vincent Dancy, Mississippi Valley State coach​

Don't focus on Vincent Dancy's 10-38 record at Mississippi Valley State. The program's progress is better than the record suggests, given the schools antiquated and dilapidated facilities that make some high school football fields in Mississippi look like the Taj Mahal. Dancy, a former Jackson State linebacker / defensive back, can flat-out coach, his best year coming in 2021 when the Delta Devils went 4-7 and 3-5 in the SWAC East. Dancy was a defensive coach under Rick Comegy and is popular and well-liked in the JSU community.

T.C. Taylor, Jackson State receivers coach​

T.C. Taylor, the JSU wide receivers coach, has been with his alma mater since 2019. Taylor is credentialed as a former two-way player, switching from quarterback to receiver. In Taylor's senior year, he broke the single-season reception record with 84 and totaled 1,234 yards with 11 touchdowns. He was an offensive coordinator for five seasons at North Carolina Central, where the Eagles won three Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) titles.

Cam Newton, retired NFL quarterback​

Cam Newton, the 2010 Heisman Trophy winner and Auburn national champion, has a 7-on-7 organization for kids 15-and-under through his Cam Newton Foundation, so the mentoring role wouldn't be new and is something he enjoys. Newton has never been a coach and would need a strong support system, but he's the type of splashy hire that would keep JSU in the spotlight. In other words: If Robinson is thinking outside the box, this is a call to make. Newton earned the NFL MVP award in 2015 while leading the Carolina Panthers to a 15-1 record and a Super Bowl appearance.

Last edited:

I do believe JSU is the most attractive coaching FCS job merely because the HIGH level of support from the fans and the city.

I do believe Ashley will make another good hire if he doesn't hire TC. He needs somebody reminiscent of Deion. There's only one Deion thank God (he's way too flashy for me), but there are many other good quality coaches who can keep the momentum up and willing to stay longer than 2 years.

Replacing Deion Sanders: 10 possible candidates for next Jackson State football coach

JACKSON — The departure of Deion Sanders to Colorado surely didn't catch Jackson State athletics director Ashley Robinson off guard. He received three seasons from Sanders, who helped impact the school in revenue generation, national exposure and recruiting.

Not the most likely candidate, but he's first on this wish list. Even better, Sumlin should be available after coaching the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. The former Texas A&M coach has been successful nearly everywhere he's been, and he coaches Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel at A&M. everywhere and coached Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. Along with his tenures at Houston and Arizona, Sumlin has a career record of 95-63.

This is not as farfetched as one might think. Robinson bonds with his coaches and wants a family feel, and Florida A&M's Willie Simmons and Robinson have a connection that goes back years — Robinson hired him as the coach at Prairie View in 2014 and worked with him through 2017. While there, Simmons amassed a 22-11 record before taking the FAMU job. He has a 51-23 record overall and would be an easy sell for the JSU fanbase.

Don't focus on Vincent Dancy's 10-38 record at Mississippi Valley State. The program's progress is better than the record suggests, given the schools antiquated and dilapidated facilities that make some high school football fields in Mississippi look like the Taj Mahal. Dancy, a former Jackson State linebacker / defensive back, can flat-out coach, his best year coming in 2021 when the Delta Devils went 4-7 and 3-5 in the SWAC East. Dancy was a defensive coach under Rick Comegy and is popular and well-liked in the JSU community.

T.C. Taylor, the JSU wide receivers coach, has been with his alma mater since 2019. Taylor is credentialed as a former two-way player, switching from quarterback to receiver. In Taylor's senior year, he broke the single-season reception record with 84 and totaled 1,234 yards with 11 touchdowns. He was an offensive coordinator for five seasons at North Carolina Central, where the Eagles won three Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) titles.

Cam Newton, the 2010 Heisman Trophy winner and Auburn national champion, has a 7-on-7 organization for kids 15-and-under through his Cam Newton Foundation, so the mentoring role wouldn't be new and is something he enjoys. Newton has never been a coach and would need a strong support system, but he's the type of splashy hire that would keep JSU in the spotlight. In other words: If Robinson is thinking outside the box, this is a call to make. Newton earned the NFL MVP award in 2015 while leading the Carolina Panthers to a 15-1 record and a Super Bowl appearance.

These are all bad choices. Kevin Sumlin is a Trump supporter and married to a white woman. He's not for black people for real, he'll leave quick if he gets any success. I met Cam Newton a few times, he is a child in a man's body. He's not even close to being ready or mature enough for a collegiate head coaching job. Willie is leaning FBS. And the rest are just not good choices.

It's the CL so take everything they say with a grain of salt concerning HBCUs but at least they publicly acknowledge that Dancy is definitely a candidate that will get a serious look

Plus from the way that guys are hitting the portal from Valley, he might not have a choice because I can't Hakim extending him after next year so he might as well go for it

Sumlin was poo at Arizona (never forget how he did Khalil Tate who went from a Heisman candidate to an undrafted QB) and 3-7 with the Houston Gamblers thus far. Plus all I will say is go and look at his wife and that will explain it all lol

No SMACK - Can someone please tell me why Vincent Dancy is always mentioned as a quality HC candidate?

Is it based on what those folks "think" he could do if put in a better circumstance.
Do you think coach Dooley was a good HC candidate for SU, yet alone a first-time HC at PV? 👀 SU hasn't improved too much from last fall and backdoor'd its way into the SCG whilst being zero'd 2 IC games and played a soft OOC schedule vs 2 very weak club teams. Competitive?

It's all best guesstimation w/ prepared planning, credential semblance, and forecasting, imho. 7 years ago, coach Prime was an OC at a HS and now he is a HC at a P5.

Back