HBCU Sports Live: The pettiness of Jackson State Athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Keep in mind this platform has been around for over 20 years. And those who have been around know me expressing my views on various topics (my alma mater included) isn't anything new. Unlike some (and I understand why) I don't hide behind usernames on various platforms (like others) to express my opinions. I speak as myself and for myself. And I RESPECT the fact that others may not agree with my opinion.

However -- and I say this respectfully -- a person who feels the need to preface his own journalism background before criticizing another's opinion and substituting it with the word "outrage" for the purpose of self-aggrandizement and validation, is in no position to question my "journalism integrity." I respect journalists enough to know that I'm not going to always agree with whatever views they have. And I sure as hell don't question their "journalism integrity" when journalism ethics have not been violated. The same applies here.

Because of the subject matter, it's obvious -- and even understandable -- that you and other JSU alums take this issue personally. But instead of monitoring me asking me about "journalism integrity" ask yourself if shit ever hits the fan, are you willing to take the bold steps to be critical of your institution or head coach in a public space using your real name.

Well, you don't have to be a journalist to know that opinions are supposed to biased. (sheesh)
You misread what I said. The list of my experience was used to get others to understand you from a different voice not scrutinize your journalistic integrity... I’ll leave this here sir. As long as you’re fair we’ll be okay. Thank you for your 20 years of journalism.

Last edited:
You misread what I said. The list of my experience was used to get others to understand you from a different voice not scrutinize your journalistic integrity... I’ll leave this here sir. As long as you’re fair we’ll be okay. Thank you for your 20 years of journalism.
I stand corrected.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you and other JSU folks actually have an inflated view of yourselves to actually believe that I'm feeling "heat" over the rants (or should I say insults) of what you all post on social media. But if it makes you feel good to believe this, so be it.
Listen bruh, you may not feel the heat personally, but you need donations, right? Isn't that what that thread on the front page says? "Due to limited ads, you NEED OUR SUPPORT"? I'm just saying, you shouldn't single out a group that can help you reach your goal with your website. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you grown. So......

Listen bruh, you may not feel the heat personally, but you need donations, right? Isn't that what that thread on the front page says? "Due to limited ads, you NEED OUR SUPPORT"? I'm just saying, you shouldn't single out a group that can help you reach your goal with your website. That's all I'm saying. But hey, you grown. So......
But I didn't single out a group. The group singled out me.

I’m quite sure Prime’s was more earned than Fiyah’s since he probably went to school in the 40s. I’d tell them to find out but.......they can’t lol

It is my understanding that Talledega has a "fasttrack" program that Sanders was able to take advantage of. If a student had earned a certain number of prior college credits, that student could be allowed to earn his degree in a summary-type online program. Thus, Sanders was able to be adorned with the title "college graduate" as the holder of a bachelor's degree. Sanders' illustrious life-style and busy schedule would not have allowed him the opportunity to attend any college campus for course-takings or take regular online classes to earn a college degree. Not many institutions of higher learning would have provided what appears to be such an easy pathway to academic empowerment. But be that as it may! Jackson has been just as important to Sanders as Sanders has been to it. It gave Sanders a platform that had not previously been available to him: the opportunity to coach. Keep in mind, Sanders had been involved in football as a coordinator at his son's high school. Sanders had to turn to hbcus (Talledega and Jackson State) to enjoy his new-found freedom, the freedom to apply for a head football coaching vacancy. He could not have become a college head football coach without a college degree. A FSC HBCU presented an excellent opportunity for sanders to sharpen his skills and experiment with running and coaching a collegiate football program before setting his sights on higher ground, if that will ever be possible.

Last edited:

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
It is my understanding that Talledega has a "fasttrack" program that Sanders was able to take advantage of. If a student had earned a certain number of prior college credits, that student could be allowed to earn his degree in a summary-type online program. Thus, Sanders was able to be adorned with the title "college graduate" as the holder of a bachelor's degree. Sanders' illustrious life-style and busy schedule would not have allowed him the opportunity to attend any college campus for course-takings or take regular online classes to earn a college degree. Not many institutions of higher learning would have provided what appears to be such an easy pathway to academic empowerment. But be that as it may! Jackson has been just as important to Sanders as Sanders has been to it. It gave Sanders a platform that had not previously been available to him: the opportunity to coach. Keep in mind, Sanders had been involved in football as a coordinator at his son's high school. Sanders had to turn to hbcus (Talledega and Jackson State) to enjoy his new-found freedom, the freedom to apply for a head football coaching vacancy. He could not have become a college head football coach without a college degree. A FSC HBCU presented an excellent opportunity for sanders to sharpen his skills and experiment with running and coaching a collegiate football program before setting his sights on higher ground, if that will ever be possible.

That's not really true. Some years back, PVAMU hired Cynthia Cooper as their women's head basketball coach. At that time she did not have a college degree but she did complete her degree program while coaching. Her experience in the realm of women's basketball got her hired and the person that hired her is now the commissioner of the SWAC.

Hey, I don't agree with questioning Prime's academic prowess. It is unfair to question the integrity and credibility of TC or discount sacrifices that any of its students make. If you don't have facts, you're starting unfounded rumors.....

I had to go back and read my post to apprehend which compilation of words could be construed as "questioning TC's integrity and credibility." It undoubtedly is the comment about "an easy pathway to academic empowerment." And you are right! That comment could be so construed, and that certainly was not my intent. Apologies to those who might have been offended by same.

I had to go back and read my post to apprehend which compilation of words could be construed as "questioning TC's integrity and credibility." It undoubtedly is the comment about "an easy pathway to academic empowerment." And you are right! That comment could be so construed, and that certainly was not my intent. Apologies to those who might have been offended by same.

My comment was not exclusively addressing your comments. I read your and Fiyah's comment and provided my narrative.

That's not really true. Some years back, PVAMU hired Cynthia Cooper as their women's head basketball coach. At that time she did not have a college degree but she did complete her degree program while coaching. Her experience in the realm of women's basketball got her hired and the person that hired her is now the commissioner of the SWAC.

That probably depends upon the controlling jurisdiction. I dont think one that is collegiatelly non-degreed could be a college or high school head coach in Louisiana absent the procurement of some type of waiver under extraordinary circumstances. Such a practice, in my estimation, is antithetical to the notion of "higher education."

Last edited:
Just to make sure I was clear, below was the comment I was also addressing:

1609393251088.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back