Grambling targeting Art Briles as offensive coordinator (per Football Scoop) [UPDATE - Officially hired!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we exposed every coach for the things they did to get a recruit the NCAA would have to just shut down. Hell I know people who work for the NCAA and a certain white school had a small time prostitution and stripper group of coeds....male and female.
Exactly. Folks act like this is new. Like someone said earlier, if we exposed every coach over the years in the NCAA there would be a lotta coaches sitting down. I don't condone what happened at Baylor but he paid his price. I like this for Grambling because it possibly brings one of the SWAC prominent names back to the forefront which means even more attention for the SWAC and HBCUs. Will it be SOME negative attention of course, but as an HBCU conference, we're used to that.......let's kick ass and put the SWAC and HBCUs in the big spotlight.

I don't condone what happened at Baylor but he paid his price.
And Baylor paid him $15 million after he was fired. He really hasn't paid a price for the shit he helped cover-up at Baylor.

And Grambling is the same school that invited Urban freaking Meyer to speak at a football function after he got popped at Ohio State for helping suppress info that one of his assistant coaches was abusing his wife. SMH

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
And Baylor paid him $15 million after he was fired. He really hasn't paid a price for the shit he helped cover-up at Baylor.

And Grambling is the same school that invited Urban freaking Meyer to speak at a football function after he got popped at Ohio State for helping suppress info that one of his assistant coaches was abusing his wife. SMH
Didn't know about the 15 million. Again, don't condone it but time to move forward.

It was a hard read because of the depth of deliberate ignorance of the people at Baylor. It is shameful that Briles would even get hired at Grambling.
No doubt, and it is this part here that reveals how systemic and determined they were to be indifferent towards those victimized:

The suit claims that Baylor fostered a culture of sexual violence that included 52 rapes in four years involving football players.

@In_The_662 you said "The price people are willing to pay for wins"

I think this is an unforseen consequence of "The Prime Effect." Not blaming Deion, per se.

But the waves made by Deion at Jackson, and the push to bring HBCU athletics to a greater spotlight, has caused some to consider hiring folks that were seemingly part of unwritten pacts against them getting jobs.

So Hue Jackson initially brought on John Simon as an assistant. Simon had to leave Memphis due to a sexual misconduct allegation. Then months later, he's bringing on Art Briles as his offensive coordinator ... and a quick Google search will tell you why the hell that has so much smoke.

At Southern, Drake Davis (of LSU's TWO ongoing US Dept. of Education investigations into Title IX violations fame) enrolled at Southern once after getting kicked out of LSU. And now it seems he's gonna somehow enroll and try to resume his football career.

The conflict I see with HBCU fan is this ... HBCU fan, for years, has said we don't do things like them white folks. We're a family. We care about our kids. They're not just "run N-word run" over here.

We lionize the Robinsons, Gaithers, Mumfords, Richardsons, Broadways and others because they — on the surface — didn't operate like prominent PWI coaches.

However, some HBCU fans have voiced their displeasure at the Briles hire, saying it sends a bad message to their majority-Black female student bodies. Others are like, eff that! He's gonna help us win games and get a Celebration Bowl berth.

Could your HBCU handle a Baylor rape scandal? Or handle the smoke from prominent football player being accused of rape (like that LB at Georgia)? We already don't have influential people in those newsrooms and in the police forces to help sweep things under the rug. The powers of access journalism that shield and insulate schools (it took USA Today to break the LSU stuff, not the Baton Rouge-based Advocate) don't work for HBCUs as they do their PWI counterparts.

Hell, the FAMU hazing death brought forth a SACS investigation ... and that was the freakin' marching band. Do you think a student organization at a PWI gonna trigger a SACS investigation after a hazing death?

The underlying question is: Are our schools — and their fans — prepared to pay the bloodprice for athletics glory? Are they ready to look the other way a little more than they did in the past?

Last edited:
Here is my thing on Briles we hired him because he is the best OC available for the money we can pay him. Hue and Dr. Scott are now under the microscope and they knew that when they hired Briles. They will be watching all interactions between student athletes and students with a fine tooth comb. Gallot will fire both of them if even a small problem comes up. With that being said I believe our offense will be dynamic.

Some of you act you haven’t lied for a friend or did some bullshit. Look the man was punished. Basically he is blackballed from FBS. Are we going to hold shit over some one’s head forever?

In my opinion Hue hired someone with a pure offensive mind. The object is to win.

52 rapes in 4 years? Dayum.

As someone who had a very public situation, I definitely understand second chances and how the media can narrate shat but that seems excessive.
Damn ... that's 13 rapes/year ... that everyone just looked the other way on ...

We don't have the protections those schools have. That's my concern. Scott and Gallot's jobs are also on the line if something happens involving football players, simply because Briles is there ... even if Briles doesn't have anything to do with it.

However, laws have changed in states ... and now employees have to report that stuff or risk termination and/or misdemeanor ...

I'm cautiously optimistic.

This new level of competition is truly serious in the SWAC now. It was serious before but the ante has been upped.
Got to wait a couple of years for all this smoke to clear to see the true ramifications these last few years will have done. Expansion, celebrity hires, questionable hires, transfer portal, NIL, etc....these are some very competitive times in the SWAC from top to bottom.

My problem is why did Hue come out with all that "Black coaches got it tough, and there's not enough opportunities" during that Brian Flores stuff, only to hire a white guy.

Sure, Hue don't owe anyone $HIT, and it's his program, but then why bring up all that stuff when he's in a KEY POSITION to name a minority coach and boost their career, in line with his words. He's just full of it going back to his Cleveland days.

You Jags are not giving enough credit to your own. I will never believe that an AD like Dr. Trayveon Scott, who earned a Doctor of Philosophy, does not have wit and foresight to foreshadow the aftermath of what the hiring of Briles would entail (i.e. comments in this thread). I trust his vetting process and his extension of grace he exhibited in his comment to ESPN about hiring Art (as an assistant coach). Morality cannot be a hypercritical. The fact is Briles has been exonerated, whereas there have been college presidents convicted of being involved in prostitution rings that ostensibly has not reached this degree of fervor.

What Scott and Hue have done in the last two months have been nothing short of spectacular. Hue and Art in tandem instantly makes Icon Grambling with the best offensive minds in all of college football. The legacy of Grambling enables this level of coaching and athletic talent to our hallowed grounds. With it we will be coming hard to reclaim our natural championship pedigree. Prepare to capitulate as we are coming!

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Once Hue got the OK from his immediate Supervisors and ULS Board he made the hire.

He’s not swayed by opinions nor threats of non-support from disgruntled Alums.

Right or Wrong, he said “I’m the HC at Grambling!”
@In_The_662 you said "The price people are willing to pay for wins"

I think this is an unforseen consequence of "The Prime Effect." Not blaming Deion, per se.

But the waves made by Deion at Jackson, and the push to bring HBCU athletics to a greater spotlight, has caused some to consider hiring folks that were seemingly part of unwritten pacts against them getting jobs.

So Hue Jackson initially brought on John Simon as an assistant. Simon had to leave Memphis due to a sexual misconduct allegation. Then months later, he's bringing on Art Briles as his offensive coordinator ... and a quick Google search will tell you why the hell that has so much smoke.

At Southern, Drake Davis (of LSU's TWO ongoing US Dept. of Education investigations into Title IX violations fame) enrolled at Southern once after getting kicked out of LSU. And now it seems he's gonna somehow enroll and try to resume his football career.

The conflict I see with HBCU fan is this ... HBCU fan, for years, has said we don't do things like them white folks. We're a family. We care about our kids. They're not just "run N-word run" over here.

We lionize the Robinsons, Gaithers, Mumfords, Richardsons, Broadways and others because they — on the surface — didn't operate like prominent PWI coaches.

However, some HBCU fans have voiced their displeasure at the Briles hire, saying it sends a bad message to their majority-Black female student bodies. Others are like, eff that! He's gonna help us win games and get a Celebration Bowl berth.

Could your HBCU handle a Baylor rape scandal? Or handle the smoke from prominent football player being accused of rape (like that LB at Georgia)? We already don't have influential people in those newsrooms and in the police forces to help sweep things under the rug. The powers of access journalism that shield and insulate schools (it took USA Today to break the LSU stuff, not the Baton Rouge-based Advocate) don't work for HBCUs as they do their PWI counterparts.

Hell, the FAMU hazing death brought forth a SACS investigation ... and that was the freakin' marching band. Do you think a student organization at a PWI gonna trigger a SACS investigation after a hazing death?

The underlying question is: Are our schools — and their fans — prepared to pay the bloodprice for athletics glory? Are they ready to look the other way a little more than they did in the past?

With Simon, "the case has been administratively closed" once he walked away to spend time with his family. Many don't know but it involved MUTUAL text messages between too adults. They deemed that his comments were "homophobic" and intimidating due to the difference in job title levels.

Here is my thing on Briles we hired him because he is the best OC available for the money we can pay him. Hue and Dr. Scott are now under the microscope and they knew that when they hired Briles. They will be watching all interactions between student athletes and students with a fine tooth comb. Gallot will fire both of them if even a small problem comes up. With that being said I believe our offense will be dynamic.
Any relationship with anyone, if they can't be themselves it will not work. Marinate on that.

My problem is why did Hue come out with all that "Black coaches got it tough, and there's not enough opportunities" during that Brian Flores stuff, only to hire a white guy.

Sure, Hue don't owe anyone $HIT, and it's his program, but then why bring up all that stuff when he's in a KEY POSITION to name a minority coach and boost their career, in line with his words. He's just full of it going back to his Cleveland days.
Initially, he did hire a young Black OC (Ted White) but he opted to accept the QB Coaching job with the NFL Houston Texans. Art Briles was available so Hue got the OK from his Grambling CAMPUS bosses and approval from the ULS governing Board.

You Jags are not giving enough credit to your own. I will never believe that an AD like Dr. Trayveon Scott, who earned a Doctor of Philosophy, does not have wit and foresight to foreshadow the aftermath of what the hiring of Briles would entail (i.e. comments in this thread). I trust his vetting process and his extension of grace he exhibited in his comment to ESPN about hiring Art (as an assistant coach). Morality cannot be a hypercritical. The fact is Briles has been exonerated, whereas there have been college presidents convicted of being involved in prostitution rings that ostensibly has not reached this degree of fervor.

What Scott and Hue have done in the last two months have been nothing short of spectacular. Hue and Art in tandem instantly makes Icon Grambling with the best offensive minds in all of college football. The legacy of Grambling enables this level of coaching and athletic talent to our hallowed grounds. With it we will be coming hard to reclaim our natural championship pedigree. Prepare to capitulate as we are coming!

Naw bruh. This topic here goes to show that HBCU's aint no different than PWC's when it comes to the desire to win. It's shameful even though ya'll in here trying to act like it aint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back