Big City vs. Little Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Jag

Mr. Brown Eyes
It's funny but I kinda get a kick out of the differences of a Big City and a small town. My entire life I have always been exposed to both and trust me southern hospitality will always rank high on my list. I realized yesterday while driving home that only in a big city can someone stop at a traffic light and be approached by street vendors on anything you need. I had a dude trying to promote and sell his own CD for just 10 dollars. CDs, umbrellas, flowers, and sport tickets are just some of the things I see stuck in traffic on a daily basis.

Big City

1. Interstate traffic jams
2. Window washers and Nation of Islam members at every traffic light.
3. Irate people who blow their horn if you don't move fast enough
4. Top notch strip clubs and a variety of good looking women

small town

1. hardly no traffic
2. no peddler, just the sound of your engine
3. friendly people who seem never to be in a rush
4. Closes thing to a naked body in a small town is when you are personally stirring some puddin with the local female. Unfortunately Betty Sue was the only good looking thing around but after a few kids even she looks like she swallowed a balloon.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
What's funny to me.....

What's so funny to me is that you can be from a large city say..Chicago. You can meet a backwoods bumpkin from anywhere in a backwoods podunk town. If you meet them and say Im from Chicago, they will tell you....."Hey, I know a guy named George from Chicago.....DO YOU KNOW HIM???
:lmao:Like you supposed to know dat Sumbeeeeyotch!!

No, I used to get a kick out of meeting girls from BR, NO, Htown, wherever and they would assume that becuz I was from such a small town they could just "play" with my country azz.

Once I've flipped the script, it's was so much fun letting them know that "City Slick" ain't got isht on "Country Smart"

What trips me out is this. Whenever you are from a small town and go to a big city, you usually just say the name of the state your from or the biggest city next to your small town. And if you say the state, people automatically assumes that you are from the largest city there. Like in my case, people always think that I'm from New Orleans no matter how many times I tell them different.:confused:

Well, after drawing maps and explaining where I'm from...they all make the observation and comment...you don't sound like you're from there or you don't sound country. :confused:

I'm like that...........

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
What trips me out is this. Whenever you are from a small town and go to a big city, you usually just say the name of the state your from or the biggest city next to your small town.

They'll ask 'Where are you from'.
I'll say 'Tennessee' and we'll keep going from there.

It isn't until when I run into somebody from the same state that we get in to particulars (whether from Deep-West --> Memphis or the Southeast ---> Chattanooga or from Tha Ville ---> Nashville)

When people ask where I am from, I tell them Mississippi and proceed to tell them they wouldn't know the city.

People(ofays) ask me where I'm from. I say Grambling, LA. They say "Oh how far is that from New Orleans" I say...6 hours. Or if I just tell them I'm going to Grambling, LA for Christmas...they'll say "I was just in New Orleans this summer"

IGGIT!!!! I am not from no freaking NEW ORLEANS!!!!

LOL @ Mighty Hornet...

I have to agree with you Mighty....now all of a sudden everybody wants to be down with the South, and the country. I see all these rappers yelling they from the Country , and I just laugh. If your arse is from St. Louis(nelly), Memphis(8-ball), Houston(UGK), Atlanta.....well maybe Atlanta......you ain't from the country!

I'm from the country. We ride horses, drive tractors, slaughter hogs, can fruit and vegtables, raise chickens, drive pick-up trucks, hang clothes on the line when there is a perfectly good dryer in the house, know about box fans when the AC is working, Hunt(deer, rabbit, coons, doves, quail, ducks), have hunting dogs(ain't nuthing like a good c**n dog and a good rabbit dog), fish with kane poles, eat hog head cheese, cracklin bread, greens with your hand, buttermilk and cornbread, learned how to drive on a dirt road, and went barefoot all summer!!!!

Now that my friend is country!!!

Thank God Ima Country Boy!
Monroe and Calhoun, LA! That's at the top of the boot just in case yall didn't know!

Shout out to all the country folk

Ain't no life like the country life. Not having to worry about getting mugged by some hood. Knowing all your neighbors (if you had any). Doing all the stuff that Suge said he did. Picking berries, plums, pears and apricots. Stealing watermelons from the fields. And cucumbers.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, the life.

Dude what you know about stealing watermelons!!! AArrGGhhhhhh!!!!! Man you ever get caught? Umm me and my cousin stole some watermelons when we were about 12, took his lilk lod arse baby brother with us, and almost got caught!! My lil 12 year old arms running through the woods with 2 melons under each arm!!

What you know about that yellow meat?

Well living up North, no matter where you're from in the south, you're percieved as country. It doesn't matter if you're from Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, or whatever city down south. You're from the state, and not the city.

NICE

lmao@rob and Suge stealing watermelons

I didnt have to do that cause my grandfather was a farmer and grew some of everything. Watermelons, canteloupe, cucumbers, peas, butter beans, squash, tomatoes, corn, collards, turnips, sugar cane. Having to pick all that stuff was NO fun!!!!! My grandfather didn't believe in taking a break from working either :( . Even in the dead of summer, 100+ degrees, he had us out there working.

btw, if it stops raining, this would be some good hog killing weather today. Nice and cool
:cool:

Those were da days.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well if you didn't have to steal watermelons...then you are lucky! That was some dagerous stuff..LOL!!! folksdidn't play about those melons...same with cantelopes!

On my grand daddy's farm all we grew were vegtables!!! I mean dude being 7 years old and picking purple hull peas, and snap beans until your fingers changed colors! And tomatoes and greens, and you can't forget about those onions(I think they are really called scallions..LOL)! And your grandma had her own spice garden. There was no buying sage, etc. Ever make your own mayonaise? Get the eggs from the chicken yourself? Kill your own thanksgiving turkey?

And if there is an animal any worse than a dayum honery mule, I still haven't seen it!!! I love horses, but I hate a freakin mule!

Yeah, we slaughterd our hog with a sledge hammer. My daddy would stand atop a "gauntlet" and slap that hog in the dome. You could hear his skull pop!!! Then it was on!! Pig Ears, snout, tails, feet, craklins, skins, chittlins, hog head cheese, ham, bacon, sausage, tenderloins, ribs.......dayum I love the swine!!

Umm did any of yall have an aloe plant? Whenever you burned or cut yourself, your grand ma broke a peice of that plant and rubbed the aloe on you? I still own an aloe plant to this day!

Yall were probably stealing my people's watermelons...

Dayum Rogues!!!

umm-hmm

LMAO@Suge

Man, you taking me back!!!!!!

I bet you and robber were out there stealing my granddadys watermelons. Yall lucky he didn't catch ya either. He would've put a buckshot up yall young arse. LOL

What do you know bout a good yard bird?? Couldn't nobody catch those damn chickens and wring their necks like my grandmomma. You aint lived until you've had a fresh yard bird.

As far as the hog, once he was dead, every piece of that sucka was gonna get eaten. LOL
You call it hoghead cheese. I call it souse meat.

btw, I bought a bag of cracklins this wknd. They weren't the real thing, but they were close enough to make me remember the real thing!!!!!

Re: LOL @ Mighty Hornet...

Originally posted by Suge

I'm from the country.... hang clothes on the line when there is a perfectly good dryer in the house, know about box fans when the AC is working, eat hog head cheese, cracklin bread, greens with your hand, buttermilk and cornbread, learned how to drive on a dirt road, and went barefoot all summer!!!!

Now that my friend is country!!!
I agree Suge. Why did I go to the grocery store up here looking for some liver cheese. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I can't wait to go home and get some "hotwater" cornbread to eat with those greens my granny is making. :D

Suge,

A sledge hammer?!?!?!? Dude, y'all were cruel as "L" to them hogs. Man, we'd put out big pile of slop for them bad boys and while they were eating their "last meal" we'd put a bullet between the eyes. And the hogs were so focused on eating that they didn't notice their compadres being shot.

mighty hornet,

You were lucky to not have to steal watermelons. We'd be walking or riding by a patch and just had to take 1 or 5 of them bad boys. One day a deputy asked us if we had seen any suspicious characters around, because a landowner reported someone stealing his melons. We had watermelon juices running down our mouths as we denied seeing the varmints.

Oh, and my dad would have me in his garden hoeing the damn rows. He coulda got a damn mule or something. My you azz was out there mad as all get out, sweating like a dog, and ready to drop dead. And god forbid if we had to pick peas. It takes forever to fill up one of them doggone sacks. And when somebody came by selling peas, I'd try to sneak off because peeling them thangs took all day.

It was all good, though. Wouldna traded it for the world.

Originally posted by Suge

I mean dude being 7 years old and picking purple hull peas, and snap beans until your fingers changed colors! And tomatoes and greens, and you can't forget about those onions(I think they are really called scallions;

I did that too.

What Chall know bout some liver cheese?

Did I hear someone say something about some livercheese??? :eek:

Re: What Chall know bout some liver cheese?

Originally posted by BluBlood
Did I hear someone say something about some livercheese??? :eek:

Blu, I know I am gonna get me a pack as soon as I hit Jackson next Thursday. By the way, I will be spending the night in Jackson next Thursday before I hit the road to Greenwood. Maybe we can hook up and get a drink or two.

Oh times must be hard for negroes outside of the south

No livercheese up north, huh?

I know dayum well there ain't no hoghead cheese or has that made it up there yet?

I remember my grandma used to eat livercheese.. I never got into it.. I would tear up some hoghead cheese though......

I am having flashbacks!!!

Robber....be glad that your dad didn't have a mule man. You were better off with a hoe. A mule is a mofo......Dude this animal only works when it feels like it. You can beat him, and punish him all day....he still ain't working till he gets ready! I hate a mule!

And yeah Iknow it was cruel to kill the hog that way, but my daddy says that is the best way to save the head for the cheese. Plus the animal doesn't tense up before you hit him!!

Umm speaking of selling? Did any of yall ever have to sit and sell peas on the road side? well guess who did?

But like yall, I wouldn't trade it for the world. That is why hard work is no stranger to me now. I bust my arse on the job now, but it is nothing comared to sheling peas and schucking corn!!!

Here is a true story...I was 10, went to Calhoun that summer like I alays did. Was staying by my Grandma's crib. She ask em what I wanted for supper? Me and my cousin, both yelled out fish!! She went in the house, brought us back a bucket....said the "it should be some big worms under that kinnlin wood pile", pointed us to the kane poles, and said "be show yall catch enuf fo you grand daddy to eat some too"! Needless to say, we ate good bream and catfish that night! And I mean mud cats, not those dayum channel cats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back