Big City vs. Little Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calhoun? Nucka you got nerve to talk isht to me about Sicily Island and you got peoples from Calhoun! You talk about country...and dem gurls! True country if you ever wanted to see one. Fine as Hell and as country as a chicken coop!

But I ain't trying to make out like Sicily Island is booming either. The driver's license place used to open ever other Friday for the folk in Sicily Island.

They could put the wrong address and the mailman still knew which box was yours. You didn't have to put a stamp on your letter, just leave correct change in the box and he would put it on there for you.

When you went to the barber shop (the shade tree up to Mr. Alex's house) you paid for last time and credit this time.

And after shelling those purple hull peas and butter beans, you threw the shells out in the gravel road. The old folk said that made the next crop "bear" better!

hee, hee

Ya'll went way back! Espeically when ya'll were talking about "shelling peas" and snapping beans. Woooo I used to hate it when my dad's friends would come by buckets and buckets of peas and beans...

My uncle owned some land next to ours and the highlight of my evening would be when he would come and slop the hogs. He would load up the food we threw away at the jr. high school cafeteria and put it in two big ol' trash cans in the back of his car. Boy, them hogs used to smell sumthin' turr-bul.

We got caught many times stealing plums from that ol' man back yard. Can't even think of his name now...God rest his soul. And I can't tell you how many stomach aches I had from eating green plums. And picking berries was the bomb!

Suge, I haven't had bream in a long time! How 'bout Gasper Goo or gar fish?

Back in the day I really didn't appreciate (or like) REAL butter...but I do know.

Born and raised in the big city except for summers and Christmas breaks spent in Jasper Tx. When I went to Baton Rouge, I didn't think it was the country, I just thought things were done differently there. I was in Jasper Tx. on Sept. 11 and didn't hear one mention of tactical alert, threats etc. I would love to live in the country but living in a big city is not at all bad. :cool: :cool:
Even ran through the halls up at Grambling State...

rotflmao@jag-tig's highlight of the evening was when her uncle came to slop the hogs
:lmao:

If all yall had to do was shell the peas and butter beans, yall were doing good, real good

Try going out there in the hot arse sun picking them suckas all day long.

Originally posted by Suge
Umm speaking of selling? Did any of yall ever have to sit and sell peas on the roadside? well guess who did?
Man we (brothers, cousins) used to have to ride to "town" on the back of my granddaddy's old truck selling vegetables. He used to always go to the neighborhoods where our friends lived, blowing his horn like crazy. Talk about being embarrassed. LOL

Re: Re: What Chall know bout some liver cheese?

Originally posted by kellis

Blu, I know I am gonna get me a pack as soon as I hit Jackson next Thursday. By the way, I will be spending the night in Jackson next Thursday before I hit the road to Greenwood. Maybe we can hook up and get a drink or two.

I have to work, but I'm sure I can work out something. I pm you my #.

Enough has already been said...Man ya'll make me wanna go home. J-T, did you have to churn the butter? Man I used to hate that.... That's why I don't like buttermilk to day. But I love it in some biscuits and conebread!!!

I could never live in a city smaller than Huntsville. Huntsville is not the big city but it is far from the country (population around 200,000). I cant relate with anything yall are saying. I dont think I have ever seen a pig in my life. I haved lived in ATL, Nashville and Huntsville. And when i graduate I want to live in a large city. I want next door neighbors, I want to hear loud music, i dont want to have to dodge deers going home.

Mom and Dad being from the country is enough......although some might not consider Selma, Ala country but Yazoo City is another story in itself!!!!

Damn yall country:eek:

Originally posted by DAHILL
I dont want to have to dodge deers going home.

Dang!! You reminded me of the deer I killed with my car when I was coming home from a BBall game in HS. And all I had was a broken tailight! Boy that was some good eatin!! with no effort!

Sayyy any of you guys or ladies been deer huntin lately??

LOL@DaHill never seeing a pig before!!! ahahahahahaha

I'm Country

All of this talk is making me homesick. Being from Centreville, Mississippi, I am as Country as Country can be and damn proud of it.

Name it, I've done it. None of you have never stole peaches off the Peach Man Truck or broke down Ms Irene's fence trying to steal her plums.

How about taking a pack of weiners, going down to a Mud hole and using the weiners to catch crawdags.

Or better yet, how many of you played Cowboys and Injuns with Stick Horses made with Kane Poles?

Man, I had to slop the hogs, get the eggs, feed the cow; all before I got on the bus at 6:30 for school.

Originally posted by Suge
On my grand daddy's farm all we grew were vegtables!!! .....purple hull peas, and snap beans

When you're in New Orleans can you bring me a few lbs.?:idea:

Got some okra for them.

Originally posted by DAHILL
I could never live in a city smaller than Huntsville. Huntsville is not the big city but it is far from the country (population around 200,000). I cant relate with anything yall are saying. I dont think I have ever seen a pig in my life. I haved lived in ATL, Nashville and Huntsville. And when i graduate I want to live in a large city. I want next door neighbors, I want to hear loud music, i dont want to have to dodge deers going home.
I grew up with plenty of neighbors. I found out in my law school years that I actually lived in a subdivision that didn't quite get completed. There were a good 20-25 kids within 5 years of each other in my 'hood. But we were out in the country. Trees aplenty. A squirrel wouldn't dare come down a tree. These days, they'll come right up to you and ask you for a nut.

Suge, Jag-Tig, 86, mighty hornet

Y'all ever stick that hose pipe in the hog's intestines to get that "crap" out. Turn 'em inside out and wash 'em some more.

I love the big cities!!!:heart:
Love Las Vegas:heart: and Houston isn't bad either.....

It kills me when people ask where I'm from and I say "Las Vegas" and they say "CALIFORNIA?!!??"

stupid stupid stupid......:smh:

Re: I'm Country

Originally posted by ALCORNITE 86
How about taking a pack of weiners, going down to a Mud hole and using the weiners to catch crawdags.

Dude don't get me talking about going crawfishing in the drainage canal behind my mommas house! Dude them big mud crawfish was the bomb!!! I used to catch turtles, snakes, fish....you name it. Had my own aquarium in my moms back yard! Wel it really wasn't an aquarium, it was an old refridgerator with th doors torn off...LOL

Bengal E...I'm going hunting when I get to LA for the X-mas holidays. But deer hunting is my job now...so I am around it everyday.

No more purple hull peas BgJag. Grand Daddy is long gone, and now all the farm land has either been sold or is just bush hogged to keep it looking neat and clean.....:( The last horse just died. All we have now is a few chickens, and a hog. Which I know neither will last long! Not with my grandmother still around...plus that hog is getting mighty dayum phat. He may not make it too many more years!!

Robber....you had to run that hose in him to "wranch him out"! Any of you ever caught a possum, fed him grain for a few days to "clean him out" then served his arse up with a sweet potato stuck in his grill! I haven't eaten a possum in years....

Whoa!!

Robber, my Grandfather and his brother were the best butchers in town. I used to love getting up on a Saturday morning, going with them to kill a few hogs. They even allowed me to shoot the .22 rifle in the hog's head to kill him. Momma would have that Big Black Pot boiling with hot water ready to make some "Hog Crackers."

My father gave up the "Mule" for a gas -powered Tiller and we still have those "Purple-Hulled Peas." Hell, I'm taking a cooler home with me for the holidays to bring back some deer, fresh pork, frozen/canned veggies and even some blackberries.

I might even get some "Buffalo Fish" too.

Man, I have not had possum in years but one summer I came home and one of my uncles wanted some Racoon and we had Bar-B-Que c**n with Sweet Potatoes.

Dayummm, Im feeling ya'll

Yo 86 remember how your folks would'nt throw away ISHT from the Hog. We used everythang from the "Rooty to da Tooty"!

And Man even mention nuttin me bout no peas or butterbeans...remember after you hulled/shucked all them you fed the Hulls to the cows. Im from Jackson, but my folks are from Magee.....I killed too many deer, caught too many fish and butcherd too many Hogs and Cattle to count. Aint nuttin like killing your own food....That's why I say people from the south make the best soldiers. I know you are witness to this 86...all your soldiers from the south shoot better at da range dan soldiers from northern states. I guess Jed Clampet was right.

And man, I can't deal with da Buffalo Fish...too many bones for me(Im too damn lazy). To tell you the truth, It was'nt until I was bout 20 that I learned that "BRIM" were really Small Mouth Bass....you know we don't use no scientific terms for ISHT.

BTW, you ever been huntin for Deer and walked through a bunch of Bobwhites/Partridges and they all flew up at once....scaired the ISHT out of you hunh......Dat happend to my big arse last week.

I tell my son that athletes of my era had more stamina because of our diet and life style. You et a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, smoked meat (without perservatives), real yard bird (that was put up and fed corn for two weeks), and all the fish you could catch. Plus you walked to town, worked your azz off on the farm and in the hoe field, and played ball against whoever was in the community (no age limit) and tackle football without pads.

Becuz of the girls around you learned to develop speed. Had to run fast to catch them and get a "feel", then haul azz even faster so she wouldn't knock your azz off becuz of it!

Re: Whoa!!

I might even get some "Buffalo Fish" too.
:eek: :eek: :eek: I will NEVER eat that fish again. When I was a child, one of those BIG bones got stuck in my throat and my Granny gave me some vinegar and bread to try to make it break. I only eat boneless fish now.

Good Lawd

I am feeling Yall. Kellis, there is an art to eating Buffalo Fish. Drown it with some Louisana Hot Sauce, get two slices of "Light Bread" and take your time.

A co-worker of mine just walked in with homemade oatmeal raisin cookies and a sweet potatoe pie.

Now, I want some tea-cakes and Red Kool-Aid.

MB, I had some good old country boys while at Fort Polk that killed a Hog one night we were on the hill observing fires for an EXEVAL. We radioed back to staff duty, got a truck out to the OP and had some good fresh pork. Those boys could shoot their azzes off and spend weeks in the field just for the love of it.

MikeB, man we had neighborhood teams that went from hood to hood to play each other on Saturday Mornings. We were
"Hard"

Re: Good Lawd

Now, I want some tea-cakes
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Man, I haven't had tea cakes in years!!!!! Those thangs were sooooo good. Lawd, my grandmomma used to whoop 'em up.

And just thinking bout her homemade biscuits.
wheewwwwww
and the cane syrup we used to make

What yall know about that c**n, possum, and rabbit

Or brains, fish eggs, or chicken feet?????

Bring back da days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Good Lawd

Now, I want some tea-cakes and Red Kool-Aid.

Man, I ate so many "tea cakes" as a child. My great-grandmother used to make big tin cans of them and we used to eat them and wash them down with "red kool-aid". If only I could get me some "Hot water cornbread". I can't wait to go home. Nine days to go. I'm gonna eat my hot water corn bread and greens with my fingers along with some good "cha cha".

Hot Water CornBread

Now Kellis, you do not know about " Hot Water Corn Bread."

I have a jar of "Cha-Cha" in the fridge I brought from home a year ago.

G.I....born and raised....

:eek:

Interesting....quite interesting.

I didn't grow up in a BIG BIG city, but I'm a "city brotha", nonetheless....:cool:

:idea:

Oh yeah...WHAT DA HELL IS "CHA CHA"????? :xeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back