Basketball Times

SU women hold off Valley
ITTA BENA, Miss. — This one took everything Southern had, including Fredrieka Lewis finding herself after looking like she wouldn’t and a game-winner that didn’t look like it would go down, in order for the Jaguars to stay perfect in Southwestern Athletic Conference play.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Devilsh1 said:
:jump: lol
yall could have did better playing in the gym down here that's located in Crestworth down by Southern in a hood. Good scoreboard, nice floors, good goals, and no cheaters. :ebrow:

Jag-BR said:
yall could have did better playing in the gym down here that's located in Crestworth down by Southern in a hood. Good scoreboard, nice floors, good goals, and no cheaters. :ebrow:
Look it doesn't matter! Valley State was or is just a better team than SU! SU cheats doing Football season.

Southern shows grit in road loss

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 18, 2006

Southern coach Rob Spivery missed the best part of his team’s otherwise woeful Monday night at Mississippi Valley State.

With Spivery in the locker room after being ejected, the Jaguars cut a 15-point deficit to two points and had the ball in the final minute, when DeForrest Riley-Smith’s leaner off the glass didn’t fall.

In a matchup of the top two teams in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, Valley held on to win 70-64, handing SU its sixth straight loss and 13th in its last 15 tries here.

The Delta Devils rode outrageously good shooting — including 7-for-9 from 3-point range — in scoring a whopping 42 first-half points on the conference’s best defense while building a 16-point first-half lead.

“As long as we compete and play the way I think we need to play, as a team, whether we win or lose, I’m going to be pleased,” Spivery said. “(Monday night), I was not pleased, because I don’t think we competed the way I think we’re capable of doing.”

Jaguars glad to be home for crucial stretch

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 21, 2006

Sometimes, this game just comes down to a feel. After all, there’s no real reason a team is worlds better at home.

Still …

“Every time I shoot here, I know it’s going in,” Southern’s DeForrest Riley-Smith said.

The Jaguars have been a Jeckyl and Hyde team when it comes to staying in hotels or waking up in their own dorm rooms.

The Jaguars have been 15 points better than each of their first two Southwestern Athletic Conference home foes. But on the road, even though they’ve played with poise down the stretch in all four SWAC games, they went through a long scoring drought that nearly cost them a 17-point lead at Texas Southern and another that saw a 19-point lead shrivel to one in the last minute a week ago at Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Or how about December, when SU lost by nine points at Louisiana Tech and then, days after Tech won at Texas Tech, Southern blistered Louisiana Tech by 16?

Depth helps get SU women off to fast start

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 21, 2006

The strength in the Southern women’s basketball team is exemplified in forward Ashley Blake.

In six Southwestern Athletic Conference games, Blake’s started, come off the bench and not played at all. She’s been a huge force the last four games, when she’s averaged 9.3 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.3 steals.

“Ashley’s very versatile,” Southern coach Sandy Pugh said. “She can do a lot of things for us. That makes us a better team every time she’s out on the floor. Wherever we need her, she’s always willing to do it.”

Versatile? A week ago at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Blake had 12 rebounds and six points. Then Monday at Mississippi Valley State, she had six rebounds and 12 points, keeping alive SU as the Jaguars struggled on offense.

Depth like that has defined SWAC-leading Southern this season.

“We’re two players deep at each position,” Pugh said. “If one’s having an off night, your expectation is somebody is going step in for you. They’ve shown a lot of character. Our chemistry continues to get better.”

For Southern (9-6, 6-0 SWAC), which hosts Alabama A&M (7-7, 3-2) at 1 p.m. today in the F.G. Clark Activity Center, the chemistry is getting better almost by the minute as each player finds their game, individually and collectively.

Devilsh1 said:
Look it doesn't matter! Valley State was or is just a better team than SU! SU cheats doing Football season.
But I bet you weren't saying that after you all beat us, and he!! you cheated us in football also. SU going for the gamewinning TD, and a fumble was called, when one ref said he was down, and the other one said he wasn't. Care to remember this? Back to basketball. You must have forgot that Valley have to come BR, and it's going to be the same way. Blue will you be at the game today? I know I'm gone be their at 12:30. :)

"Riley-Smith had heard all the tales about how Southern couldn?t win at Valley (only two wins in the last 15 trips) and didn?t put much stock in them, but he could sense a different energy Monday night. Valley made 7 of 9 3-pointers and put up a staggering 42 first-half points on the best defense in the SWAC and made him a believer."

?Valley was just so comfortable,? Riley-Smith said. ?It?s a confidence thing (at home). You know the people are rooting for you.?

Confident Alexander leads SU

Jaguars top AAMU

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 22, 2006

This was vintage Chris Alexander. Head down. Attack mode. Dribbling hard to the basket.

However much he had been struggling this week, if his team was going to put the game in his hands, he wasn’t going to let his guys down.

Alexander shook off two bad shooting games with three layups in crunch time to help Southern hold off Alabama A&M 72-65 Saturday evening at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Alexander shot 2-for-9, with one of his lowest scoring games as a Jaguar, in a loss Monday at Mississippi Valley State. And he was 2-for-13 with seven turnovers Saturday until making good on the layups.

“I’m struggling, but I’m still confident I can make the shot,” said Alexander, who finished with 14 points, including 10 in the second half. “The coaches and the teammates still had confidence in me.”

Alexander made sure the huge efforts from DeForrest Riley-Smith and Jerrid Campbell didn’t go to waste.

Perfect in the SWAC

Monroe leads SU women over Alabama A&M

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 22, 2006

The Southern women are still perfect in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

But as for entertainment value, this was some of the ugliest basketball of the season, in front of the Jaguars’ largest crowd so far.

Rolanda Monroe had a season-best 28 points, a career-best seven rebounds, four steals and three assists, and Southern got a strong effort from the Blake twins, to hold off Alabama A&M 69-64 Saturday, with a crowd of 1,156 for a game televised locally from the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

“I just told them they didn’t deserve to be in first place now,” Southern coach Sandy Pugh said of her postgame talk. “And the reason why is they’re not giving the people a full taste of what they’re capable of doing night in and night out.

“This team is capable of doing incredible things. People come out and play money to see this, and they need to bring the show. They’re not doing that. That’s a disappointment to me, a disappointment for the program.”

In a game that took two-and-a-half hours to play, the teams combined for 50 turnovers, 73 missed shots, 55 fouls and 84 free throws.

Southern tops Alabama State in OT
Blowing a 15-point lead. Needing a defensive stop just to get the ball back to get a shot at tying the game in the final half-minute. Taking advantage of a misread clock. And holding a once-red hot team scoreless in the final two minutes of overtime. All in good fun. Southern did just that, turning a wild turnover into a game-tying layup from Chris Alexander and pulling away from Alabama State, 72-68, in overtime to win a Southwestern Athletic Conference game Monday night in the F.G. Clark Activity Center. Chris Alexander, who tied the game with 9 seconds remaining in regulation, had 26 points, four assists and two steals to lead Southern (8-10, 7-1 SWAC).

SU women suffer first loss

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/2222556.html

Shantae Robinson had 15 points, four assists and two steals and Latille Ross 16 points and nine rebounds as Alabama State overcame a 15-point, first-half deficit to end Southern?s perfect run through the Southwestern Athletic Conference, 57-51, on Monday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Rolanda Monroe led Southern (10-7, 7-1) with 15 points and six assists. But she shot 4-for-22 and had only five points in the second half. Ashton Jones added 10 points off the bench for Southern.

?Right now, I?m very angry, because I?ve just never seen a team shut it down in the second half. No execution, no team unity,? Southern coach Sandy Pugh said. ?They deserved this butt-whooping. They?ve been trying to give it away for a while.?

The game had all seven of its lead changes and two of its three ties in the final 10 minutes.

?I told my staff a few weeks ago this team is not committed enough to go through the conference undefeated,? Pugh said. ?It makes me even more angry this happened at home.?

Danille Sanders had eight points and seven rebounds off the bench for Alabama State (6-9, 4-3).

Southern led 20-5 10 minutes into the game and 31-22 at halftime.

?I told them they were making a spectacle of themselves,? Alabama State coach Freda Freeman-Jackson said. ?I thought they took that to heart. We stepped up defensively and Shantae stepped up and played like she?s capable of playing. She picked it up, and she picked it up big.?

But the Jaguars missed their first six shots of the second half and Alabama State scored on all of its first six possessions to tie the game at 31-31 on Robinson?s drive for a layup with 17:51 left in the game.

The game was tied again at 37-37 and 39-39, with Ross ? on her second putback ? giving Alabama State its first lead, at 41-39, with 9:13 to play.

Tiffany Jones then made her second 3-pointer of the season to give the Jaguars a 42-41 lead with 8:45 left.

Two Elma Stevens free throws with 3:00 remaining gave Alabama State a 50-49 lead.

Ross added a made free throw and Danielle Sanders hit a runner over Fredrieka Lewis to give Alabama State a 53-49 lead with 1:43 left. And Stevenson, left alone on an inbounds pass with 25.4 seconds to play, raced the length of the floor to give the Lady Hornets their largest lead, at 55-49, with 20 seconds remaining.

Schiefelbein: Jaguars prove they can claw back

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Jan 25, 2006

Southern coach Rob Spivery keeps talking about poise and maturity. These are slippery commodities to quantify.

Winning seems to confirm that these first-place Jaguars have them. Then again, they’ve also blown substantial leads, including Monday, in four of their seven Southwestern Athletic Conference victories.

“As long as the players continue to play with effort and show the toughness they’re showing right now … maturity and poise are very important,” Spivery said. “If we’re going to be champions, we’re going to have to continue to play with those characteristics.”

What’s clear, so far, is there may be no better team in the SWAC in the final four minutes than Southern.

Even at the program’s personal roadblock, at Mississippi Valley State, Southern clawed back from a 15-point deficit and even had a shot to tie in the final minute of a 70-64 loss earlier this month.

Southern won on the road at Texas Southern (a 17-point lead cut to three), Arkansas-Pine Bluff (a 19-point lead cut to one) and Prairie View because of its clutch play. And after blowing double-digit second half leads with Alabama A&M (a 15-point lead cut to four) and Alabama State (a 15-point lead turned into a three-point deficit) in the current homestand, they continued to find ways to prevail.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Southern women rout Alcorn State, 64-49

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Jan 29, 2006

Southern coach Sandy Pugh showed her players she still had game Friday. And they showed her they’re still the best team in the conference Saturday.

A day after Pugh laced them up in practice, forward Ashley Blake had a season-high 14 points and added eight rebounds to lead Southern past Alcorn State 64-49 Saturday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

The SWAC-leading Jaguars (11-7, 8-1 SWAC) shook off their only conference defeat, blowing a 15-point first-half lead in a six-point loss to Alabama State, with a solid effort against an old nemesis.

“Usually when you find your team in a funk, it’s overkill on what you’re doing,” Pugh said. “You need to back up and remind them about the fun.”

So Pugh got out with her kids and played.

“She looked good, and then she wasn’t even playing hard,” Ashley Blake said of the former Northwestern State standout. “We had a little fun. We just had fun (Friday).”

Jaguars put on dazzling show
opps.jpg

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Jan 29, 2006

What was louder, the roar after Peter Cipriano’s left-handed alley-oop dunk or the gasp after DeForrest Riley-Smith actually missed a 3-point try?

That’s what kind of night Southern had in blowing out Alcorn State 72-55 to stay atop the Southwestern Athletic Conference race as the Jaguars finished the first round of league play.

Cipriano put on a dunking exhibition that actually got outstaged by the dazzling 3-point shooting from Riley-Smith, who made 6 of 7 tries, and Alvin Mott, who made 2 of 3, Saturday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Riley-Smith finished with 22 points — his most as a Jaguar — and Mott came off the bench for a season-best 14 points as Southern never trailed in winning its third straight game, all at home.

“I love playing at home,” Mott said.

Maybe nobody loves his new home more than Riley-Smith, a former Penn State standout who said before the three-game homestand he felt like every shot would go in at the Clark Center.

Well, almost.

He shot 13-for-18 from 3-point range in the three games.

“I’ve got to hit it,” said Riley-Smith, who made all four of his 3-point tries in the first half and the first of the second half. He was 2-for-4 inside the arc. “You have to knock the open looks down.”

Southern (9-10, 8-1) entered having made a conference-low 28 percent of its 3-point tries and a conference-fewest 3-pointers made. But the Jaguars made 11 of 19 (both season highs).

“They were wide-open looks,” Alcorn State coach Samuel West said. “We did a poor job of communicating.”

Southern shot 56 percent for the game (28-for-50), with contributions throughout the lineup.

Lady Hornets Bang the Boards, Prairie View A&M
ASU sets modern school record with 75 rebounds in 61-51 victory
Jan. 30, 2006
Final Stats
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Even though the final score is the ultimate decider of success in college basketball, the biggest number posted by Alabama State in its win over Prairie View A&M wasn't tallied on the scoreboard.
The Lady Hornets (8-9 overall, 6-3 SWAC) pulled down a staggering 75 rebounds - a modern-day school record - in their 61-51 win over the Lady Panthers. The effort on the boards - ASU nearly doubled Prairie View's total (75-38) - was so dominant that it clearly caught the eye of head coach Freda Freeman-Jackson.
"This was our best job rebounding since I've been here," said Freeman-Jackson, who has spent nearly 20 years around the Lady Hornets' program as a player and coach. "To grab 75 rebounds is absolutely remarkable."

http://bamastatesports.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/013006aaa.html

|------CONFERENCE-------| |--------OVERALL--------|
STANDINGS W-L Pct PF PA W-L Pct PF PA
--------- --- --- -- -- --- --- -- --
Southern............ 8-1 .889 68.8 61.2 9-10 .474 61.8 65.9
Grambling State..... 7-2 .778 69.7 69.3 9-7 .563 68.8 70.6
Jackson State....... 6-3 .667 72.2 67.1 10-11 .476 70.2 73.8
Miss. Valley State.. 6-3 .667 65.6 64.6 6-12 .333 61.1 71.9
Alabama A&M......... 5-4 .556 81.2 75.1 7-8 .467 75.5 74.1
Alabama State....... 4-5 .444 68.4 67.9 6-14 .300 64.7 72.3
Alcorn State........ 4-5 .444 65.0 69.2 4-14 .222 63.4 73.1
Ark.-Pine Bluff..... 3-6 .333 62.4 60.7 6-11 .353 62.6 65.5
Texas Southern...... 2-7 .222 69.1 73.7 4-17 .190 67.0 78.0
Prairie View A&M.... 0-9 .000 66.9 80.6 3-17 .150 66.3 80.0​

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsville...sports/1138961965182510.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

A&M has catching up to do
Friday, February 03, 2006
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
Favorable home schedule gives preseason favorites a chance

The preseason prognosticators - in this case the Southwestern Athletic Conference coaches - got it wrong.

Defending champion Alabama A&M was the overwhelming choice to repeat as champion, but with the second half of the league schedule slated to get under way Saturday, the Bulldogs find themselves in fifth place, three games behind league-leading Southern.

The Jaguars, on the other hand, were picked to finish sixth in the preseason poll, but Rob Spivery has his team atop the league standings at 8-1. But Spivery, who built Alabama State into the league's best team before departing after last season, knows it's too early to be talking championships.

"There's too many games left to get excited about anything right now," Spivery said Thursday. "The toughest part of our schedule is ahead of us."

Indeed it is.

Southern visits Grambling on Saturday and Jackson State on Monday and has a three-game stretch later this month at Alabama A&M, Alabama State and Alcorn State.

Grambling, which has won six straight games, is a game behind. The Tigers are the hottest team in the league and are led by Brion Rush, the current favorite for Player of the Year honors. Like Southern, GSU also has to come to Alabama.

Jackson State and Mississippi Valley State are both 6-3 in league play.

JSU is led by Alcorn State transfer Trey Johnson, while MVSU coach James Green has done a fantastic job without seven-foot center Ron Alexander, the preseason Defensive Player of the Year, and guard/forward Solomon Forbes. Alexander has been sidelined much of the year with Crohn's disease. Academics have sidelined Forbes.

The Tigers and Delta Devils also have some difficult road games down the stretch.

Then, there's Alabama A&M.

The Bulldogs, who started 3-1 in league play before losing three in a row, may have found themselves last weekend. A&M blasted Prairie View and Texas Southern by a combined 61 points.

Vann Pettaway's team visits Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday and Mississippi Valley State on Monday. After that, the Bulldogs have five of their last seven conference games at home.

"This is what you work hard for - a weekend like this," Pettaway said. "We can't slip up. Our kids know that. If we can maintain just a little bit of what we had this past weekend, we'll be OK."

JSU coach Tevester Anderson predicted any of the top five teams could still win the regular season title.

"Southern was the class team in the league the first half, but that doesn't mean they're going to be in the second half," Anderson said. "The race is far from over. It's wide open."

After watching A&M dominate his team 99-75, Texas Southern coach Ronnie Courtney said don't count the Bulldogs out.

"They're by far the most talented team in the league,' Courtney said. "When you look at them, they have that aura, that swagger, but it hasn't clicked for them. After these last two games (Prairie View and Texas Southern), people are getting ready to see a different Alabama A&M team.

"As scary as it may seem, they may be ready to go on a roll that people wanted to avoid."

Pettaway hopes so.

"I think the picture will be a little clearer after Monday night," he said. "It could show that the race is wide open or you may have a clear favorite. If we come out of this weekend with two wins, I think that will give our kids the confidence we need."

DAHILL said:
http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvillet...l=1&thispage=1

A&M has catching up to do
Friday, February 03, 2006
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com
Favorable home schedule gives preseason favorites a chance

The preseason prognosticators - in this case the Southwestern Athletic Conference coaches - got it wrong.

Defending champion Alabama A&M was the overwhelming choice to repeat as champion, but with the second half of the league schedule slated to get under way Saturday, the Bulldogs find themselves in fifth place, three games behind league-leading Southern.

The Jaguars, on the other hand, were picked to finish sixth in the preseason poll, but Rob Spivery has his team atop the league standings at 8-1. But Spivery, who built Alabama State into the league's best team before departing after last season, knows it's too early to be talking championships.

"There's too many games left to get excited about anything right now," Spivery said Thursday. "The toughest part of our schedule is ahead of us."

Indeed it is.

Southern visits Grambling on Saturday and Jackson State on Monday and has a three-game stretch later this month at Alabama A&M, Alabama State and Alcorn State.

Grambling, which has won six straight games, is a game behind. The Tigers are the hottest team in the league and are led by Brion Rush, the current favorite for Player of the Year honors. Like Southern, GSU also has to come to Alabama.

Jackson State and Mississippi Valley State are both 6-3 in league play.

JSU is led by Alcorn State transfer Trey Johnson, while MVSU coach James Green has done a fantastic job without seven-foot center Ron Alexander, the preseason Defensive Player of the Year, and guard/forward Solomon Forbes. Alexander has been sidelined much of the year with Crohn's disease. Academics have sidelined Forbes.

The Tigers and Delta Devils also have some difficult road games down the stretch.

Then, there's Alabama A&M.

The Bulldogs, who started 3-1 in league play before losing three in a row, may have found themselves last weekend. A&M blasted Prairie View and Texas Southern by a combined 61 points.

Vann Pettaway's team visits Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday and Mississippi Valley State on Monday. After that, the Bulldogs have five of their last seven conference games at home.

"This is what you work hard for - a weekend like this," Pettaway said. "We can't slip up. Our kids know that. If we can maintain just a little bit of what we had this past weekend, we'll be OK."

JSU coach Tevester Anderson predicted any of the top five teams could still win the regular season title.

"Southern was the class team in the league the first half, but that doesn't mean they're going to be in the second half," Anderson said. "The race is far from over. It's wide open."

After watching A&M dominate his team 99-75, Texas Southern coach Ronnie Courtney said don't count the Bulldogs out.

"They're by far the most talented team in the league,' Courtney said. "When you look at them, they have that aura, that swagger, but it hasn't clicked for them. After these last two games (Prairie View and Texas Southern), people are getting ready to see a different Alabama A&M team.

"As scary as it may seem, they may be ready to go on a roll that people wanted to avoid."
Pettaway hopes so.

"I think the picture will be a little clearer after Monday night," he said. "It could show that the race is wide open or you may have a clear favorite. If we come out of this weekend with two wins, I think that will give our kids the confidence we need."
I see Mr. Anderson drinking his HATERade. Well I guess we was a 1st half, and 2nd half team after his azz was beaten. But he can say what they want to. I can't wait until Saturday comes where the 2nd point of SWAC Basketball continues. Coach R knows the race is wide open, and so does every other coach in the SWAC, so why in the he!! does JSU coach have to put SU name is quote instead of all the teams in the SWAC.

Bulldogs Sweep Conference Weekly Men's Basketball Honors
Trotter is Player of the Week, Ford is Newcomer

Trotter earned SWAC Player of the Week honors

362845.jpeg

Jan. 31, 2006

Birmingham, Ala. -

SWAC Player of the Week

Obie Trotter, Alabama A&M (6-1, Sr., Guard, 180, Silverhill, AL) In a 2-0 week for the Bulldogs, Obie averaged 26.5 ppg, 5.0 assists and 5.0 steals. His top game came in a 99-75 win over Texas Southern (1/30) where he scored 30 pts with seven (7) steals and seven (7) assists. He played just 33 minutes in that contest.

SWAC Newcomer of the Week

Ford earned SWAC Newcomer of the Week

396937.jpeg

Michael Ford, Alabama A&M (6-7, Jr., Guard/Forward, 180, Huntsville, AL) Mike helped lead the Bulldogs to a 2-0 week. Ford averaged 27.5 ppg, 5.5 rebounds/gm, 2.5 assists/gm, 3.0 steals/gm and 1 blk/gm. Playing just 20 minutes in 108-71 win over Prarie View, Ford scored 26 pts with 8 rebs, 5 assists and 4 steals. In AAMU's 99-75 win over Texas Southern, he played 24 minutes and scored 29 pts.

Monroe seeks first win at Grambling

SU women try to halt drought vs. Grambling

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 4, 2006

Advocate staff photo by MARK SALTZ
Southern guard Rolanda Monroe doesn?t want to end her career without a win at Grambling.

For all Rolanda Monroe has done in her career, she?s never won at Grambling.

For Monroe, who has attended summer school at Grambling and whose mom, Melanie, works at the school, that?s been tough to take.

Worse, they?ve all been blowouts. By 20 points last year. By 11 in 2004. By 24, the worst conference loss under Sandy Pugh, in 2003.
?I haven?t won there yet,? said Monroe, SU?s all-time leading scorer and last season?s Southwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Year. ?I?m going there to get a win. This is my last year. I just can?t do that (not win at Grambling).?

Conference-leading Southern (11-7, 8-1 SWAC) plays at Grambling (7-9, 3-6) at 5:30 p.m. today in Memorial Gym.

?Going home is always fun,? Monroe said. ?(Ashley Blake) always tells me you have to stay focused. I?m going to stay focused. It?s going to be a tough game, because the crowd is into it. It?s easy to get distracted.?

With the men?s game, which will follow, matching the top two teams in the conference, the tiny gym should be packed.

?Toss the records out of the window,? Pugh said.

While SU has lived up to its building as the preseason SWAC favorite, Grambling was picked to finish second in the SWAC and hasn?t fulfilled that promise.

Grambling has been hard to figure.

The Lady Tigers are a shocking 0-4 at home, at a place they used to hold the nation?s second-longest winning streak, in conference play, but 3-2 away.

Hot-shooting Rush awaits Southern

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 4, 2006

Southern’s task this weekend is trying to catch two Tigers.

First up is Grambling’s Brion Rush tonight. Then, Jackson State’s Trey Johnson awaits Monday.

Though the Jaguars beat both teams by 15 points last month, Grambling and Jackson State feature two of the top scorers in the nation, will be shooting on their rims this time and are just as hot as Southwestern Athletic Conference-leading Southern.

Southern, on a three-game winning streak, and Grambling, which has won six in a row since losing at SU last month, play at 7:30 p.m. today in Memorial Gym, where SU hasn’t won since 2000.

The Jaguars play at Jackson State, which has only lost — in overtime to Grambling — once in its last five games since that Southern game, at 7:30 p.m. Monday.

“It won’t be an easy task, because the two teams are probably the hottest two teams, with two of the best scorers in the conference, and we’ve got them on their home floor,” Southern coach Rob Spivery said. “But this team is capable of playing on the road with the maturity we need to be successful.”

This is somewhat of a rewind weekend.

Southern (9-10, 8-1 SWAC), Grambling (9-7, 7-2) and Jackson State (10-11, 6-3) are 1-2-3 in the conference. The three haven’t been serious challengers for a regular-season title for a while.

Back