Basketball Times

bluedog said:
Hot-shooting Rush awaits Southern

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 4, 2006

Southern?s task this weekend is trying to catch two Tigers.

First up is Grambling?s Brion Rush tonight. Then, Jackson State?s Trey Johnson awaits Monday.

Though the Jaguars beat both teams by 15 points last month, Grambling and Jackson State feature two of the top scorers in the nation, will be shooting on their rims this time and are just as hot as Southwestern Athletic Conference-leading Southern.

Southern, on a three-game winning streak, and Grambling, which has won six in a row since losing at SU last month, play at 7:30 p.m. today in Memorial Gym, where SU hasn?t won since 2000.

The Jaguars play at Jackson State, which has only lost ? in overtime to Grambling ? once in its last five games since that Southern game, at 7:30 p.m. Monday.

?It won?t be an easy task, because the two teams are probably the hottest two teams, with two of the best scorers in the conference, and we?ve got them on their home floor,? Southern coach Rob Spivery said. ?But this team is capable of playing on the road with the maturity we need to be successful.?

This is somewhat of a rewind weekend.

Southern (9-10, 8-1 SWAC), Grambling (9-7, 7-2) and Jackson State (10-11, 6-3) are 1-2-3 in the conference. The three haven?t been serious challengers for a regular-season title for a while.

Is this game going to be televised?

Southern men get chance to respond

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Feb 6, 2006

JACKSON, Miss. — Tonight’s game isn’t make or break for Southern University’s men’s basketball team.

Then again, this is a chance for the Jaguars to prove they can bounce back from a tough loss, get back to playing the defense they’ve ridden to the front of the Southwestern Athletic Conference pack and try to cool another hot challenger.

A basketball season is full of these kinds of challenges. Championship teams answer, more often than not.

“You come to a point in your season when you’re contending, that one game kind of defines you,” Southern coach Rob Spivery said. “(Tonight) is one of those games. We have to respond to our play on Saturday night.

“It’s not a do-or-die game, but I want to see us, as a coach, respond like I think we should to let me know where we are, mentally and emotionally.”

In the aftermath of Grambling’s Brion Rush dropping 53 points in an 80-75 overtime win Saturday night, Southern (9-11, 8-2 SWAC) visits second-place Jackson State (11-11, 7-3) at 7:30 p.m. today in the Williams Assembly Center.

SU women hope to widen SWAC lead

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Feb 6, 2006

JACKSON, Miss. — Teams are gaining on the Southern University women’s basketball team.

The Jaguars still hold the lead in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, but that margin is down to one game after Southern lost two of its last three games.

That makes today’s 5:30 p.m. matchup at second-place Jackson State crucial as Southern (11-8, 8-2 SWAC) tries to regain the form that saw the Jaguars dominate conference play last month.

While SU has been reeling, the two teams in second place — Alabama State (9-9, 7-3) and Jackson State (9-11, 7-3) — are rolling.

Alabama State has won six of its last seven games, a run which includes a 57-51 win at Southern in which the Lady Hornets trailed by 15 points in the first half. The Jaguars have never won in Montgomery, Ala., in five seasons under Sandy Pugh.

Southern responds to challenge, beats JSU

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Feb 7, 2006

JACKSON, Miss. — Here’s what Southern showed Monday night’s 70-58 win over Jackson State meant: The only way to respond to challenges is to play even harder, to take the initiative right back.

All you need to know was embodied in the game’s key sequence, a powerful, jaw-dropping response after the Tigers slashed a 15-point deficit to six points with 9:31 to play, Monday night in the Williams Assembly Center.

Even as the crowd got into the game, that’s when the Jaguars really stepped on the gas pedal.

Chris Alexander cut through the lane for a layup. Forward Ralph Hishaw picked up a loose ball, spun quickly and flicked the ball 40-50 feet to Alexander for a tough layup. And Peter Cipriano pulled down a defensive rebound and fired the ball the length of the court to Steffon Wiley for a layup.

Back up 12, just like that. Jackson State never got the deficit below 10 from there, with Hishaw adding another amazing spin move to feed Cipriano for an emphatic dunk just minutes late

“We wanted to stay on the attack, so we did not get stagnant,” SU coach Rob Spivery said.

That effort was a microcosm of the entire game and, perhaps, to how Southern will play as the second round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference race deepens.

Handling the ball comes natural for Southern’s Hishaw

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 8, 2006

What in the world was Southern’s 6-foot-7 forward Ralph Hishaw doing dribbling the ball in the backcourt as Jackson State, suddenly perked up and in striking distance, went to its press Monday night?

He was dealing.

“That’s natural. I used to play point guard,” Hishaw said.

These days, he plays a different position. Point forward. That’s what Southern coach Rob Spivery calls it.

“He and Peter (Cipriano) are two good weapons to have as forwards,” Spivery said. “We call them point forwards.

“They release the pressure and bring the ball down the floor. We don’t have to have the point guard handle the basketball and that’s an asset.”

In fact, in one of the key moments of the game, Hishaw pounced after a loose ball, made a nifty move to clear himself of a defender and then flung the ball over traffic to guard Chris Alexander, whose tough layup gave the Jaguars a 10-point lead with eight minutes to go.

Southern prepares for key stretch

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Feb 10, 2006

The end of the second round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, for Southern, comes Saturday.

At least in the eyes of SU coach Rob Spivery.

Spivery prefers to break the 18-game conference race into three segments.

Southwestern Athletic Conference-leading Southern went 5-1 in the first six. The Jaguars are 4-1 in the second six.

Closing out this round, Southern (10-11, 9-2 SWAC), in the hunt for its first regular-season conference title since 1989-90, hosts Arkansas-Pine Bluff (7-12, 4-7) at 3 p.m. Saturday in the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

“Then we move into the last third and see what we can do,” Spivery said. “I like our chances.”

To start the third segment, the Jaguars host Mississippi Valley State (6-14, 6-5), which has lost four straight games, on Monday night.

“In the last seven games, I think this team will be focused on what we need to do and play well enough to pull this thing off,” Spivery said. “As long as we play with poise and maturity, like we’ve done for the majority of the season, that’s going to be key for us.”

The biggest obstacle in the final third of the conference season is a three-game road trip that’s been a traditional stumbling block.
SU is at Alabama A&M (8-9, 6-5) on Feb. 18, Alabama State (8-14, 6-5) on Feb. 20 and Alcorn State (5-15, 5-6) on Feb. 25.

SU is 4-17, with eight double-digit losses, in that swing in the last seven seasons. The Jaguars have never won more than one game in that stretch in any one season.

“We’re talking to the guys about not having to depend on help from other teams,” Spivery said. “We’re in position to control what we do, and I’d like to see this team do that.”

Cipriano finds new home at Southern

subask021106.jpg

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 11, 2006

There?s Crown Fried Chicken back home in Jersey City, N.J. There?s Tony?s Seafood here in Peter Cipriano?s second home.

Folks here may not know what to make of an Italian cheeseburger ? a contraption that slaps two patties, cheese, fries, ketchup and mayo together on an Italian loaf.

?It?s the best. It?s the best,? Cipriano said.

Folks there may balk at boudin balls.

Cipriano, now in his second senior season at Southern, has acquired both tastes.

He turned 23 Tuesday. He?s on course to earn a degree in secondary education in the fall. And through five seasons with the program, he?s grown as Southern has, with the Jaguars going from some of the worst teams in school history to putting together its best season this decade.

Southwestern Athletic Conference-leading SU (10-11, 9-2) hosts Arkansas-Pine Bluff (7-12, 4-7) at 3 p.m. today in the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

?I came down South and turned into a man,? Cipriano said. ?I was a kid when I came down here.?

It wasn?t so long ago he?d call home to his mom, Maria, pleading to return home in those early days.

?No. No. No. That was your decision, so that?s where you?re going to stay,? she?d say.

Cipriano had come South from a program known worldwide in basketball circles: St. Anthony?s. There, he?d won a state title and finished nationally ranked. A new book, The Miracle of St. Anthony, chronicles a season in coach Bob Hurley?s dynasty.

Cipriano took a chance on Southern. When then-assistant Roman Banks first called, Cipriano thought Banks was talking about Southern Miss.

Southern holds on to beat Pine Bluff

sualexander021206.jpg

Riley-Smith, Alexander pile up enough points

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 12, 2006

DeForrest Riley-Smith hit just as many free throws as he did 3-pointers. Five of both.

Those long-range jobs, combined with Chris Alexander’s potent 3-point display, gave Southern a huge first-half lead. And the 15-foot freebies finished off the win.

Riley-Smith hit five of six free throws in the final minute as Southern held off an Arkansas-Pine Bluff rally for the second time this season, with the Jaguars winning 71-68 Saturday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Riley-Smith, 5-for-9 from 3-point range, had 13 of his 22 points in the second half. And Alexander was 6-for-6 on 3-pointers and had 20 of his 23 points in the first half, when Southern built a 23-point lead.

UAPB trimmed a 21-point halftime deficit to one in the final seconds, almost a mirror of how the Golden Lions staged a rally that was entertaining but unfulfilling in the first meeting last month in Arkansas, but Riley-Smith hit two free throws with 7.9 seconds to play to provide the final margin.

“We did what we had to do in the last two minutes in order to win the ballgame, and that’s important,” SU coach Rob Spivery said.

Southern (11-11, 10-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference) maintained its lead with six league games remaining as the Jaguars try for their first conference title since 1989-90.

William Byrd and V’Angelo Smith had 16 points apiece to lead UAPB (7-13, 4-8).

“At halftime, we talked about how they’re a good enough team and you have to expect a team like that to come to play,” said Riley-Smith, who is 18-for-27 from 3-point range in his last four games at the Clark Center.

Monroe scores 20 as SU women win

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 12, 2006

suladybask021206.jpg

Advocate staff photo by MARK SALTZ
Southern’s Fredrieka Lewis, right, fights for a rebound with Arkansas-Pine Bluff’s
Latoya Thomas during Saturday’s SWAC game at F.G. Clark Activitiy Center.

Rolanda Monroe was Rolanda Monroe as always, and the Southern women’s basketball team, playing with more oomph on defense and getting balanced scoring, got back in the business of winning games.

Monroe had 20 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals, leading Southern to a 72-58 Southwestern Athletic Conference victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff Saturday at the F.G. Clark Activity Center.

Southern (12-9, 9-3 SWAC), which never trailed, snapped a two-game losing streak.

“The one thing we did with Ro is stop worrying about her shot selection,” SU coach Sandy Pugh said. “She’s going to put up shots. She’s going to make plays. She’s going to create plays.

“This team depends on her way too much to do those types of things, and I think I had her hands tied a little too much trying to get her in the scheme of things, especially when our post players were missing way too many layups.”

Monday, Monroe matched a season high with 33 points, but Jackson State still blasted the Jaguars by 20 points, handing SU its third loss in four games.

I hear that the NCAA will not let school host the tournament this year, but I think its fair. For the Women's side they will have a San Antonio Regional, Brideport Regional (in Conneticut) Albuquerque Regional, Cleveland Regional. For the Men's side they didn't say. What are your ideas on how the NCAA did the neutral sites this year for March Madness?

Monroe ignites SU women
The Southern women’s basketball team found out plenty about itself Monday night. Being down 18 points can do that. Star guard Rolanda Monroe turned into a rebounding machine. Guards Diedra Jackson, a true freshman, and Ciara Shiggs, a senior, made clutch shots. Center Fredrieka Lewis had her most dominating game of the year. And sophomore forward Krystal Huggins made two heady plays in the final four seconds.

Southern takes control
Southern put on a first-half shooting display yet again to grab a big lead, but the Jaguars went back to their calling card — intense, get-after-it defense — to pull away after Mississippi Valley State rallied in the second half. DeForrest Riley-Smith had four of his five 3-pointers in the first half and totaled 19 points to lead the Jaguars, who had four players score in double figures, to a 71-60 Southwestern Athletic Conference win Monday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center. Forward Peter Cipriano added 12 points and nine rebounds, while guard Chris Alexander had 13 points and forward Ralph Hishaw came off the bench for 10 points and five rebounds.

bluedog said:
Southern takes control
Southern put on a first-half shooting display yet again to grab a big lead, but the Jaguars went back to their calling card — intense, get-after-it defense — to pull away after Mississippi Valley State rallied in the second half. DeForrest Riley-Smith had four of his five 3-pointers in the first half and totaled 19 points to lead the Jaguars, who had four players score in double figures, to a 71-60 Southwestern Athletic Conference win Monday night at the F.G. Clark Activity Center. Forward Peter Cipriano added 12 points and nine rebounds, while guard Chris Alexander had 13 points and forward Ralph Hishaw came off the bench for 10 points and five rebounds.
<font size=5><marquee>GEAUX, JAGS!!!</marquee></font>

Crucial road trip awaits Southern
The Southern men’s basketball team has won three games in a row and is playing its best since the 1999-2000 season. The Jaguars lead the Southwestern Athletic Conference by two games with five more to play.

The caution is, up next is what’s been an annual killer: a three-game road stretch weaving through Normal, Ala.; Montgomery, Ala.; and Lorman, Miss.

“If we can come away with two out of three wins, that will really put us in a great position to win this regular-season championship,” SU coach Rob Spivery said.

In one of those imaginary hurdles for the program, the question becomes an Southern win two in this stretch? The Jaguars have never done so.

Southern is 4-17 in the seven seasons the Jaguars have played this road sequence. The last two seasons, SU is 1-5, with the road bump going a good bit of the way to derail promising seasons. The Jaguars went 0-3 last season to take the wind right out of a 5-1 conference start.

Southern picked to win SWAC West

Defending champion Southern University and Mississippi Valley State are the preseason favorites to retain their Southwestern Athletic Conference’s division baseball titles.

That’s the result of the poll by the league’s baseball coaches and sports information directors and announced by the league office in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday.

Southern, the overall league champion a year ago, picked up 10 first-place votes and 82 points to easily outdistance runner-up Prairie View in the West voting. Prairie View was second with 65 points.

Mississippi Valley received 11 first-place votes and 79 points to edge Jackson State (second with 74 points) in the East.

The preseason all-SWAC team was also announced on Tuesday, with Southern placing one player on the first team and two on the second.

Named to the first team was infielder Brandon Revis, a 5-10 junior from Houston. Senior pitcher Joshua Kirk and senior outfielder Darren Clark of Baker are on the second team.

Prairie View’s Wrandal Taylor and Mississippi Valley State shortstop Zach Penprase received the top preseason honors.

Taylor, a 5-10, 190-pound sophomore from Beaumont, Texas, is the preseason Pitcher of the Year. He led the SWAC in wins (10), innings pitched and starts (15) during the 2005 season.

Penprase, a 6-3, 185-pound junior from Moorpark, Calif., is the preseason Player of the Year. He had a .354 batting average with 33 runs batted in, nine doubles and two triples last season.

I hope we can get 2 wins on this road stretch, because Blue you remember what you said? But 2 wins, or the whole road stretch will really put us in position to wrap the conference up at home when we host TXSU, and PV. I hope the Women do good Saturday to, and I hope they can pick up 2 wins also, we all know Coach S is capable of getting all 3 wins, but we just have to find out if SU will show up for these 3 big road games. I hope Grambling Women help us out. While on the other hand GSU Men and JSU Men should be a good matchup. Our game will be done by time these games tip off. We play at 4:30 Saturday. I will be able to catch some SWAC games via Broadcast. You can listen to the Lady Jags play AAMU on AAMU Men's Broadcast. Yea! people incase you didn't know. you can catch the Women's game also on the Men's broadcast. :) :)

Jag-BR said:
I hope we can get 2 wins on this road stretch, because Blue you remember what you said? But 2 wins, or the whole road stretch will really put us in position to wrap the conference up at home when we host TXSU, and PV. I hope the Women do good Saturday to, and I hope they can pick up 2 wins also, we all know Coach S is capable of getting all 3 wins, but we just have to find out if SU will show up for these 3 big road games. I hope Grambling Women help us out. While on the other hand GSU Men and JSU Men should be a good matchup. Our game will be done by time these games tip off. We play at 4:30 Saturday. I will be able to catch some SWAC games via Broadcast. You can listen to the Lady Jags play AAMU on AAMU Men's Broadcast. Yea! people incase you didn't know. you can catch the Women's game also on the Men's broadcast. :) :)

i think if we get all three of these road wins and we win the rest of our games including the tournament we would'nt have to play in the play in round for the ncaa tournament.
and why is the game so early at AAMU is it on tv?

Regular Season Champ goes to the post-season this year irregardless of winning the conference championship via NIT.

Su'sdrummerboi said:
i think if we get all three of these road wins and we win the rest of our games including the tournament we would'nt have to play in the play in round for the ncaa tournament.
and why is the game so early at AAMU is it on tv?
It's possible. If you go to www.ncaasports.com than they will give you info. :nod:

Back