The Southwestern Athletic Conference – in conjunction with the Ward 3 Recreation of Lake Charles – will hold its 2007 Soccer Tournament November 8-11, 2007 at the Lake Charles Multi-Sports Complex in Lake Charles, La. Six teams representing both the Eastern and Western Divisions will look to end this season as the SWAC Women’s Soccer Champions.
Thursday, November 8th – The first quarterfinal game features Prairie View A&M and Mississippi Valley State at 4:00 pm; The second quarterfinal game is a match-up between Southern University and Alabama A&M University at 6:00 pm.
Friday, November 9th – Jackson State University and Grambling State University – the Eastern and Western Division winners – will await the winners from Thursday’s action.
Sunday November 11th concludes the tournament and the 2007 Conference Champions will be crowned
Below are the team-by-team previews of the six participating teams in the tournament:
1. Grambling State Lady Tigers (11-8-1, 4-0 SWAC) – defending SWAC champions … have outscored opponents 55-26 while outshooting opponents 347-304 … are led by Ashley Baker (13 goals, three assists) and Obafemi Alao (14 goals and five assists).
2. Prairie View A&M Lady Panthers – (4-11-1, 2-1-1 SWAC) – are outscoring their opponents 20-19 in the first period … have 109 saves on the season (including 54 in the first period of matches) … are led by Angelica Diaz (nine goals, three assists) and Brenda Castillo (eight goals, four assists)
3. Southern Lady Jaguars – (4-12-1, 2-1-1 SWAC) – are led by Charmaine Jones (four goals, three assists) and Renell Reid (three goals, two assists)
1. Jackson State Lady Tigers – (9-4-3, 3-0-1 SWAC) – are outscoring opponents 59-14 on the season … are led by Naira Crimiel (18 goals, seven assists) and Zachene Crooks (seven goals)
2. Alabama A&M Lady Bulldogs – (7-6-3, 2-0-2 SWAC) – have outscored opponents 49-34 … are averaging three goals per contest … led by Brittan Thomas (nine goals, one assists) and Rachel Sepeng (10 goals)
3. Mississippi Valley State Devilettes – (10-5-2, 2-1-1 SWAC) – 2005 Tournament Champions … have scored 44 goals this season … holding opponents to 1.4 goals per game … are led by Mikael Mendez (eight goals, two assists) and Pella Hand (five goals, one assist)