What school has the most arrogant band members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your history. You all were not the first band founded out of the swac schools. Our band alone was founded a few years before yours. Da continent thus far has made the only unbiased post in hear. :shame:

kremesaver said:
Check your history. You all were not the first band founded out of the swac schools. Our band alone was founded a few years before yours. Da continent thus far has made the only unbiased post in hear. :shame:
SU's band wasn't founded in 69. My dad marched in 59 and 60.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
a JSU Tiger said:
Friday, September 22, 2000
Bands go to war
...[/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember that article. I was impressed with the quotes of Dr. Greggs and appalled at those of Dr. Liddell. I said so then. My feelings haven't changed.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:

Exactly. And if dude knew his history Bama St didn't come to the SWAC until 1982.

And what the hell is their anything to be biased about? We're talking about who has the most arrogant band members.

a JSU Tiger said:
Friday, September 22, 2000
Bands go to war
By Donnie Snow
Clarion Ledger Staff Writer

The Sonic Boom of the South, Jackson State University?s marching band, takes on Southern Unversity?s Human Jukebox Saturday in the Superdome in New Orleans. And by most accounts, it?s going to be a smackdown the size of which hasn?t been seen since Ali and Frazier ? but with music instead of blood, of course, these are musicians not pugilists. ?The Southern fans will see the light, and sound for the first time when we get there, ?promises Lewis Liddell, director, or more accurately, commander in chief of the Sonic Boom, and Southern?s Jukebox is gonna know about the Sonic Boom. They gonna do what they have to do, but you can be sure we?re gonna do what we have to do. They think they?re the best?we know we?re the best.? They better come ready, he says, or it?ll be a blowout! ?Liddell has my utmost respect, says Southern?s Band Director Isaac Greggs, himself a Southern graduate. What he does is a reflection of his own personal discipline. There?s always been a wholesome and clean rivalry between our bands?but I don?t really care who it is, we?re gonna be just as good for no matter who we play. I don?t get up for other people, they get up for me. ?When you?re riding high in the saddle, you catch a lot of arrows. ?I ride highest in the saddle.? Wait a minute this isn?t a Rockne-fueled football championship, these are marching bands. They wear plumes and stuff. ?Fans travel to see us much as the football team, boasts Donyale Walls, a trumpet playing psychology junior at JSU. At 20, the Detroit native has seen a few JSU-Southern face offs. ?When they came to Jackson last year, they stole some of our fans, ?reminds 21 year old Kendra Hardy, a JSU biology senior, and French horn player, from Jackson. ?We know how important this week is, so no one?s complaining about staying late.? Rehearsal hours have been extended to nearly five hours a day this past week. ?Some think we got blown out last year, she said. ?This year, we have something to prove. ?They may play louder than we do, but we have more musicality. We have style.?On the football field, in his crisp black uniform and snow white gloves, Liddell, a Jackson native stands like a field marshal. In the band hall he directs like Bob Knight, without the shoving. ?Horns up!? he shouts during rehearsals. ?Lock it in place! Don?t breathe at the bar! Resist the temptation to breathe.? (For the untrained, that?s more of that musicality stuff.) ?Don?t play like a little girl.? ?You got to get aggressive! ?Our fans expect nothing but the best because they?ve seen nothing but the best,? he said following a news conference announcing a visit from the United State Marine Corps Band. ?They?ve might seen some good band across the field, but they don?t compare us with those. They compare us with the best JSU bands of the past.? Liddell, a JSU band member from 1963 through 1967, credits the Mississippi blues and New Orleans jazz traditions for the SWAC show style of marching, a rollercoaster style;hot and high-stepping. ?When the freshman show up, they don?t really know how strenuous this is or how popular we are, ?explains Walls, ?But it only takes a couple weeks for them to get so involved.? Popular is right. The JSU-Southern rivalry, one of the great SWAC showdowns is finally slotted for the Superdome which seats over 70,000. Southern officials say they expect more than 50,000 to attend. And a fair amount of those will be there for the bands, most agree. ?I know in many instances I?ve lifted a defeat into victory by getting the team and the fans hyped,? claims Greggs. In Mississippi and Louisiana, its very family oriented, Walls says, explaining the popularity of the marching bands. ?Fans are much closer to schools such as Southern and JSU. And they?re very supportive of the bands.? With both football teams less than sterling so far this season, more attention might turn toward the musical tete-a-lete, but artistic fandom aside, this week is as much about being better than Southern than putting on a good show. That?s thanks to a long-ago snubbing, says Liddell, when he and Greggs were high school band directors. Liddell leading the band at a ?country? school felt the burning tinge of condescension from Greggs, a champion ?city director. Liddell says he?s never forgotten the slight and never will. ?The Southern game does pull something out of ?Doc, ?explains Walls. He and Dr. Greggs have this professional rivalry. It?s like him against Dr. Greggs. ?He wants to make him look bad.? So much the better for the fans in the stands. ?When it?s time to play after the game, and we pull out the marches, they should just pack up,? warns Liddell with a broad smile. ?I?ve been through four band directors at Jackson State, ?says Greggs, chuckling, I didn?t make Southern great, it?s always been great, I just took it to another level. And I don?t blame all the other directors for imitating me, because if I was somebody else, I?d imitate me.?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THIS MY FRIEND IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF ARROGANCE (LIDELL'S COMMENTS) AND SWAGGER (DR. GREGGS COMMENTS)

PsychoJag said:
Exactly. And if dude knew his history Bama St didn't come to the SWAC until 1982.

And what the hell is their anything to be biased about? We're talking about who has the most arrogant band members.

I know my history and also know how to READ. I never said anything about when WE CAME IN THE SWAC. Check your own people, after all, it was someone from SU that that said yall was born in 69. :shame:

kremesaver said:
I know my history and also know how to READ. I never said anything about when WE CAME IN THE SWAC. Check your own people, after all, it was someone from SU that that said yall was born in 69. :shame:

He was talking about Dr. Greggs The creator of the Jukebox as we know it. Our band dates all the way back to the late 1800's when the University was founded. Dr. Greggs was a member of the band in the late 30's early 40's dude.

My point is that ya'll came into the SWAC well after it was established. Whether ya'll were founded first or not The SWAC had a bigger impact on ya'll than ya'll had on the SWAC.

PsychoJag said:
He was talking about Dr. Greggs The creator of the Jukebox as we know it. Our band dates all the way back to the late 1800's when the University was founded. Dr. Greggs was a member of the band in the late 30's early 40's dude.

My point is that ya'll came into the SWAC well after it was established. Whether ya'll were founded first or not The SWAC had a bigger impact on ya'll than ya'll had on the SWAC.

Thanks for clarifying that. Also, never new Patty marched there too. As far as the swac impact.......I can respect your comment about that. No harm, no foul.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:

Can't tell that cat nothing.. Doc marched in the 40's....smh @ the know it alls...

kremesaver said:
Thanks for clarifying that. Also, never new Patty marched there too. As far as the swac impact.......I can respect your comment about that. No harm, no foul.

Yep ol Patty played trumpet at SU. :tup:

PsychoJag said:

Thank you for the backup Juke.... Before some other poor soul puts their neck out on the chopping block, nobodys band existed under its current name with its current style in the swac before Dr. Greggs established the human jukEBox in 69. Yeah, I'm sure yall had a band....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ZNSpr03 said:
Aint nobody messin wit IG......he got that sammy davis,jr. swag:smash:
Actually it's not Sammy Davis Jr. He may favor him in a lot of ways, but if you know anything about Doc he is a Louis Armstrong Fanatic!!! If his style is similar to anyone, it's "Pops." You can ask him who he idolized growing up and he'll tell you. "Pops" is why Doc plays trumpet in the first place. Look at any video of Louis Armstrong, and you'll see why Doc acts the way he does.:nod2: :tup:

mustardmanSU_04 said:
Thank you for the backup Juke.... Before some other poor soul puts their neck out on the chopping block, nobodys band existed under its current name with its current style in the swac before Dr. Greggs established the human jukEBox in 69. Yeah, I'm sure yall had a band....

Dog, ya folks back you up and I commend them for that but speak for yall. You don't know nothing about us to comment on our current/previous/existing, etc. style. Yeah, I know you don't care. Me neither. Brag, boast, talk about SU all you want. You can even put us down and say your better. Cool. But I'll be damn if you gonna sit here and say when any of us did what. Unless you can come prove when ALL the swac bands got there founding identity..........that portion of your comment has no merit. Thats just on the up and up dog.

mustardmanSU_04 said:
We are the pillar, the backbone of. All programs in this conference. Here is a short list of the contributions that dadDy juKEbox has made to his ungrateful, bastard children, your programs.....

#1- The whole SWAC style.... Check the history I spit in the earlier post.

#2. Jack State... Yall got a hand me down arranger from us!!! Help me out fellow Jags... The guy who wrote Get it On...

#3. TxSU.... Nuff Said!

I'm 20 years old, and my father is almost 60, but no matter how old and set in his ways he is, I. Know I will never be able to fight him and win. Wise up swac, wise up.

I see the herb, has damaged your braincells...

Incipience said:
I see the herb, has damaged your braincells...

Some things we just try to let go. We know Hutch was at Grambling and Prof Davis was at Jackson State while Dr. Greggs was still formulating his plan for what became the Jukebox, and that the SWAC has never had a definitive style. We've had a great mixture of styles that have given the SWAC a flair that has kept it from being boring.

At 20 and still little green, mustardmanSU_04 just need a big old brat to lie on. He'll be alright after a while though. I'm going to hang tight with him.

mustardmanSU_04, I'm on your side. Keep up the fight.:smash:

dacontinent said:
Some things we just try to let go. We know Hutch was at Grambling and Prof Davis was at Jackson State while Dr. Greggs was still formulating his plan for what became the Jukebox, and that the SWAC has never had a definitive style. We've had a great mixture of styles that have given the SWAC a flair that has kept it from being boring.

At 20 and still little green, mustardmanSU_04 just need a big old brat to lie on. He'll be alright after a while though. I'm going to hang tight with him.

mustardmanSU_04, I'm on your side. Keep up the fight.:smash:

Look at it then, and look at it now!! :swink:

PsychoJag said:
Your field style has stayed the same but not your instumentation or playing style. :lecture:
I can live with your answer b/c nothing stays the same and nothing is absolute. For example, the band had timpani on the field in the 60's and 70's maybe the early 80's too but we dont use them anymore.

Even su. When I listen to the old school clips of jukebox versions the sound is simular but not the same. They sounded a bit more crisp than the current jukebox version. Blame it on the times I guess...but I love all bands even yall. :)

DaBiggDogg said:
IMO southern does. they dont know when to shut up, they always keep on yappin about somethin or another and they know when to start somethin. they also think they know it all, if you know so much why dont you use your knowledge to educate people instead of put people down all the time...i wonder how many arguments im finna start:redhot: , but like i said this is MY opinon! holla
:read:

PsychoJag said:
Your field style has stayed the same but not your instumentation or playing style. :lecture:

Thanks once again fellow Jags.... When I say established, I mean set in stone. Southern is set in stone, like a Jack State 5thquarter! <-- friendly joke, that's all.... I love the Boom, seriously(shout out Akhiem, Mark and Justin).

Truthfully, I love something about everybodys program... (Well, except Grambling.... Only business, never personal.....) bama states tubas, particularly on those high Fs.... Jack state, bLowing fanfare.... And uh, I can't think of what I like about yall other schools, but there has to be SOMETHING... Maybe like yalls clarinets or piccollos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back