What school has the most arrogant band members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reason im cocky started in high school because ALL of the major black schools wanted me to bless their band with my instrumental skills....i had scholarships to them all....i CHOSE SOUTHERN.....because i wanted to be a part of a tradition that i dont see dying anytime soon....even if i went to another school i still wouldve been cocky....just like when i came to southern i had cockiness to a degree. i came to wreck and i did from day one. ask anyone who was my crab brother or upperclassmen....directors gave me props as a crab and that doesnt happen everyday....it just added to my persona.....i used to see dudes begging to get back in the band. i took a semester off and called doc on the phone and said....doc im coming back...you know what he said.....come on. he knew and once i felt that i proved that to him....and he knew what i was capable of.....it made me 100 times cockier....which leads to who i am today. just like jared, doc knew he could play the keys off his horn,he loved him.when you have never faced b.s because you were so good, how can you not be cocky?

ZNSpr03 said:
...when you have never faced b.s because you were so good, how can you not be cocky?
Simple. Do what you do and keep your confidence within. Artistic skills speak for themselves. (Self-)Promotion is not required.

dacontinent said:
Simple. Do what you do and keep your confidence within. Artistic skills speak for themselves. (Self-)Promotion is not required.

That sounds good in theory, but if everyone kept their opinions to themselves, where would the sense of competition come from? There would be no rivalries.... No fire, no passion. Sports teams have it easy: cut and dry, someone wins and someone looses.... But music on the other hand is all about preference and personal opinion, so until they out a panel of judges in every stadium to keep tallies on cute lil score cards..... What is there to do? It would take a horrible, malicious, bloody masscre to take away my arrogance(like a FAMU/Savannah State game), but, since there is no band out there capable of demolishing "The One and Only," I'll be arrogant till I die, and then, I will probably fly up to heaven and talk isht to HIS personal harp player!!

Holla Back!!!

mustardmanSU_04 said:
since there is no band out there capable of demolishing "The One and Only," I'll be arrogant till I die, and then, I will probably fly up to heaven and talk isht to HIS personal harp player!!

Holla Back!!!

:lecture:

i know thats right! Quote of the season there :lol:

mustardmanSU_04 said:
That sounds good in theory, but if everyone kept their opinions to themselves, where would the sense of competition come from? There would be no rivalries.... No fire, no passion. Sports teams have it easy: cut and dry, someone wins and someone looses.... But music on the other hand is all about preference and personal opinion, so until they out a panel of judges in every stadium to keep tallies on cute lil score cards...

You should have seen this coming...
Prov 27:2
Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

Humility is when one brings himself down into proper perspective. Humiliation is when somebody else has to do it for you.

Historically, the first mention of a marching band of any type is in biblical history. The purpose of the marching band was to announce "we are going to whip you". The simple fact of the existence of the marching band is the fire and passion of everything else. There were no cheerleaders - there was only the marching band. The statement that a band makes is with its music and not its rhetoric.

Forget judges and tally sheets. When you are face-to-face with another band, there are only two judges: your band and the other band. Each has its own criteria for evaluation. Each has strengths - its own signature - that should shine through. Where we most often get messed up is assessing whether another band is good at forging our signature.

Let me say this for the 1000th time: The Human Jukebox is a great band. Dr. Greggs thumbprint and legacy has established an unparalleled brass section, a unique instrumentation, and a style of arranging that accentuates those facts. However, that positioning - especially in the area of instrumentation - has made it almost impossible for the Jukes to produce a symphonic sound because of the lack of woodwinds. So, when I am evaluating how good the current edition of the Jukes is, I have to throw the symphonic sound out of the evaluation. Using the Boom as a reference point, I cannot evauate either band in terms of the other. Each band has to stand on its own merit in reference to its own signature.

Analogy: Back in the 60's, the public battle of singing groups was the Tempations vs. The Four Tops. However, the signatures of the two groups was completely different. The artists understood that. Comparing them made no sense, but it helped the promoter to make more money. Very little of that money trickled down to either group.

mustardmanSU_04 said:
...but, since there is no band out there capable of demolishing "The One and Only," I'll be arrogant till I die, and then, I will probably fly up to heaven and talk isht to HIS personal harp player!!

Holla Back!!!

I will simply chalk this statement up to ignorance. First, arrogance will probably get you left here in the first place. Secondly, the sound that was revealed to the Apostle John was so fabulous that it transcended everything earthly - and was not made by any of us playing.

"If you fail to know the purpose of a thing, the abuse of it is inevitable." - Dr. Myles Munroe

Just like I said, preference and opinion.... And everyone is gonna have a PREFERENCE to their own program, because in their OPINION, that's gonna be the best band. Its not necessarily that anyone is more arrogant than the next, because I know people at many different schools including FAMU( now THEY are some arrogant MFs!!! That sudler has really gone to their head), BCC, Albany State, Savannah State, Howard, Virginia State, Clarke, ex-Morris Brown, SC State, NCAT, Jack State, and Alcorn.... All from Augusta, GA and everyone talks just as much yin-yang as the next!!!!! Hell, my BRoTHER for Christ sake was trombone section leader at FaMU, and I myself am a trombone player, so I know trash talk.... But, I digress.....

Why does the S stand out in everyones mind as the most arrogant? I'm sure when alcorn week comes around, its trash talk central over on Lynch St., but see, that's the difference, we see EqUALlY fired up about every game, even if we at Mumford and the other band is a no show... Even in that case, we HaTE those empty bleachers across from us!!! That's why WE, The S, stand out as the most arrogant.... We are equal opportunity assasins... We consistantly talk trash to all HBCU bands. Yall have specific rivals, we rival EVERY BAND just the same, so all of YALL have the same opinion.

That's all it is.... That's all it was.... And that's all it ever WILL BE!!!

So, let me retract my earlier statement that we see the most arrogant... We are just as arrogant as everyone else, just on a more frequent basis.

dacontinent said:

Other people praise us as well. Like I said before, ya'll are confusing arrogance with swagger.

And for the record, humility and humiliation are 2 things that every crab who has ever stepped foot into the band room at Southern University knows VERY well!!! We all ate humble pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner EVerY DAY for a whole 4 months... We are all humble people when need be in every aspect of life, EXCEPT this band thang... If I'm around and someone speaks of marching band, that conversation will not end without me throwing in a mention of the Jukebox.

Maybe its something in that baton rouge water, because every member of the Jaguar Nation is this way. We have a very bad case of hubris... "Excessive pride" for those of you not up on your vocab... Well, maybe hubris is too harsh of a word, because I don't feel its excessive... I feel as thoug I am one of Lacumba's deciples spreading the gospel that is Southern University, more specific, The Human Jukebox. I myself, I know I really get in to it because I am the 1st, one and only Jaguar from Augusta Georgia thus far. Amongst the many, many Tigers(shout out to Akhiem, Mark and Justin... Roll up a fatty!!!!!) and many, many rattlers(Martel, Big Brother.... P phi!!!!!!!) I am the only voice for my school/band.... So its necessary for me to be LOUD and obnoxious. But trust, I don't hate. I have plenty of nalia from both of those schools and them the same... I have nothing but love and respect for everyones program, and in Augusta, that's how we all are. BUT, no matter what happens in my life, there are 2 things I will do: imma rep my city, and imma REP MY BAND!

GO JAGUARS!!!

Trust me people...I'm probably the only person on this board that attended both SU and JSU and have a big understanding of marching bands.
Both of yall's arse is arrogant as hell, but you both earned it.

College Gameday said:
Trust me people...I'm probably the only person on this board that attended both SU and JSU and have a big understanding of marching bands.
Both of yall's arse is arrogant as hell, but you both earned it.

:lol: @ Chapter Bruh.

:topic:

E-mail me at work.

PsychoJag said:
Other people praise us as well. Like I said before, ya'll are confusing arrogance with swagger.

Here is the difference:

Swagger - I say to myself, "I really am good at this. I may be the best around." I walk into the arena and prove it once again. On my way out I say to myself, "I was right."

Arrogance - You hear me coming from a distance yelling [Sounding like Brett, The Hitman, Hart] - "I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be." I walk into the arena and prove it once again. On my way out I announce to everyone, "I told you so".

Which brings us to why the Jukes are more arrogant than any other HBCU bandsmen...because that is the chief personality trait of Dr. Isaac Greggs.

Period.

dacontinent said:
Here is the difference:

Swagger - I say to myself, "I really am good at this. I may be the best around." I walk into the arena and prove it once again. On my way out I say to myself, "I was right."

Arrogance - You hear me coming from a distance yelling [Sounding like Brett, The Hitman, Hart] - "I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be." I walk into the arena and prove it once again. On my way out I announce to everyone, "I told you so".

Which brings us to why the Jukes are more arrogant than any other HBCU bandsmen...because that is the chief personality trait of Dr. Isaac Greggs.

Period.

And I am proud of that....:tup: It's the best way to be......

SUtrp96 said:
Yeah, I could tell when I arrived on campus that Dr. Greggs had a lot of swagger and confidence and instilled those qualities not only in the band but the baton rouge &surrounding community. It's hard not to be a jag fan when you arrive here in the Big Raggedy, the pride in the air is as thick as the humidity.

dacontinent said:
Here is the difference:

Period.

Nah. I think that your swagger definition describes SU.

Swagger- To conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompus manner; esp: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence.

That's ^^^ what we have. We are not on here saying we're better than anyone. We compare the Jukebox to the Jukebox because nobody else matters. And we prove that to be true on game day.

PsychoJag said:
... We are not on here saying we're better than anyone...
Your definition basically make arrogance and swagger synonymous.

Psycho, you have given credence to your moniker.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SUtrp96 said:

Following in the steps of your leader. That is normal human behavior.

In the case of Dr. Isaac Greggs - great leader in his own right - that is arrogance. Not an indictment, but an observation.

dacontinent said:
Following in the steps of your leader. That is normal human behavior.

In the case of Dr. Isaac Greggs - great leader in his own right - that is arrogance. Not an indictment, but an observation.

That's why I feel the SWAC as a whole is in this state of staunchy arrogance.... Let us trace some history back.... The 1st black college band was FAMU, and not long after that, the late great founded the Jukebox in '69 as the antithisis of FAMs big symphonic band: small and brassy. That's the making of the 2 styles in HBcU bands(even though FAMUs style in actuality was just borrowed from Ohio State, but That's another story).......

So, long story short, we aren't arrogant... Its just that

(The Jukebox speaking in its best Darth Vader voice...)

"SWAC, I am your father.... It is true."

dacontinent said:
Your definition basically make arrogance and swagger synonymous.

Psycho, you have given credence to your moniker.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not really, arrogance in that definition can mean PROUD. We are very proud of what we do. We don't focus on other bands any differently than the other because we aren't competing with other bands. We are competing against past editions of the Jukebox.

CriTAUcal said:
Ya'll GET UP OFF, DaBiggDogg!!!!!! :mad: He speaking the truth!!! :lol:

Ya'll SU folks are the most arrogant, noise-talking, can't-tell-you-NAYTHING, don't-think-my-shat-stank, we-play-loud-and-nasty, and we-'gon-do-the-same-drill-from-1950 folks in this conference!

Now get ready for your BEAT DOWN in October in Memorial Stadium!

:lmao:
TRUE THAT|! TRUE THAT! It's all about mastering, 64 up and 64 back. Remember that your organization can only be as good as your director and I must say that we have had some of the best directors that one could ever have up until 199- LOVE THE BOOM! :angel2:

We are the pillar, the backbone of. All programs in this conference. Here is a short list of the contributions that dadDy juKEbox has made to his ungrateful, bastard children, your programs.....

#1- The whole SWAC style.... Check the history I spit in the earlier post.

#2. Jack State... Yall got a hand me down arranger from us!!! Help me out fellow Jags... The guy who wrote Get it On...

#3. TxSU.... Nuff Said!

I'm 20 years old, and my father is almost 60, but no matter how old and set in his ways he is, I. Know I will never be able to fight him and win. Wise up swac, wise up.

dacontinent said:

Period.

Friday, September 22, 2000
Bands go to war
By Donnie Snow
Clarion Ledger Staff Writer

The Sonic Boom of the South, Jackson State University’s marching band, takes on Southern Unversity’s Human Jukebox Saturday in the Superdome in New Orleans. And by most accounts, it’s going to be a smackdown the size of which hasn’t been seen since Ali and Frazier – but with music instead of blood, of course, these are musicians not pugilists. “The Southern fans will see the light, and sound for the first time when we get there, “promises Lewis Liddell, director, or more accurately, commander in chief of the Sonic Boom, and Southern’s Jukebox is gonna know about the Sonic Boom. They gonna do what they have to do, but you can be sure we’re gonna do what we have to do. They think they’re the best…we know we’re the best.” They better come ready, he says, or it’ll be a blowout! “Liddell has my utmost respect, says Southern’s Band Director Isaac Greggs, himself a Southern graduate. What he does is a reflection of his own personal discipline. There’s always been a wholesome and clean rivalry between our bands…but I don’t really care who it is, we’re gonna be just as good for no matter who we play. I don’t get up for other people, they get up for me. “When you’re riding high in the saddle, you catch a lot of arrows. “I ride highest in the saddle.” Wait a minute this isn’t a Rockne-fueled football championship, these are marching bands. They wear plumes and stuff. “Fans travel to see us much as the football team, boasts Donyale Walls, a trumpet playing psychology junior at JSU. At 20, the Detroit native has seen a few JSU-Southern face offs. “When they came to Jackson last year, they stole some of our fans, “reminds 21 year old Kendra Hardy, a JSU biology senior, and French horn player, from Jackson. “We know how important this week is, so no one’s complaining about staying late.” Rehearsal hours have been extended to nearly five hours a day this past week. “Some think we got blown out last year, she said. “This year, we have something to prove. “They may play louder than we do, but we have more musicality. We have style.”On the football field, in his crisp black uniform and snow white gloves, Liddell, a Jackson native stands like a field marshal. In the band hall he directs like Bob Knight, without the shoving. “Horns up!” he shouts during rehearsals. “Lock it in place! Don’t breathe at the bar! Resist the temptation to breathe.” (For the untrained, that’s more of that musicality stuff.) “Don’t play like a little girl.” “You got to get aggressive! “Our fans expect nothing but the best because they’ve seen nothing but the best,” he said following a news conference announcing a visit from the United State Marine Corps Band. “They’ve might seen some good band across the field, but they don’t compare us with those. They compare us with the best JSU bands of the past.” Liddell, a JSU band member from 1963 through 1967, credits the Mississippi blues and New Orleans jazz traditions for the SWAC show style of marching, a rollercoaster style;hot and high-stepping. “When the freshman show up, they don’t really know how strenuous this is or how popular we are, “explains Walls, “But it only takes a couple weeks for them to get so involved.” Popular is right. The JSU-Southern rivalry, one of the great SWAC showdowns is finally slotted for the Superdome which seats over 70,000. Southern officials say they expect more than 50,000 to attend. And a fair amount of those will be there for the bands, most agree. “I know in many instances I’ve lifted a defeat into victory by getting the team and the fans hyped,” claims Greggs. In Mississippi and Louisiana, its very family oriented, Walls says, explaining the popularity of the marching bands. “Fans are much closer to schools such as Southern and JSU. And they’re very supportive of the bands.” With both football teams less than sterling so far this season, more attention might turn toward the musical tete-a-lete, but artistic fandom aside, this week is as much about being better than Southern than putting on a good show. That’s thanks to a long-ago snubbing, says Liddell, when he and Greggs were high school band directors. Liddell leading the band at a “country” school felt the burning tinge of condescension from Greggs, a champion “city director. Liddell says he’s never forgotten the slight and never will. “The Southern game does pull something out of “Doc, “explains Walls. He and Dr. Greggs have this professional rivalry. It’s like him against Dr. Greggs. “He wants to make him look bad.” So much the better for the fans in the stands. “When it’s time to play after the game, and we pull out the marches, they should just pack up,” warns Liddell with a broad smile. “I’ve been through four band directors at Jackson State, “says Greggs, chuckling, I didn’t make Southern great, it’s always been great, I just took it to another level. And I don’t blame all the other directors for imitating me, because if I was somebody else, I’d imitate me.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mustardmanSU_04 said:
The 1st black college band was FAMU, and not long after that, the late great founded the Jukebox in '69 as the antithisis of FAMs big symphonic band: small and brassy.

:confused:

Who was the late great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back