NBA Free agency rumors and trades

If Kobe just stay his azz out of the way and let the management handle business. Why he keep showing his azz up to the meetings? He doesn't have the most likeable personality to begin with.

Kobe isn't the reason why he didn't sign. It's arrogance of Jim Buss and his presentation. I'm giving Mitch a pass.

Kobe isn't the reason why he didn't sign. It's arrogance of Jim Buss and his presentation. I'm giving Mitch a pass.

Kobe probably didn't help matters, but the Lakers could have given a perfect presentation and still been unlikely to sign Aldridge. Players want to get paid, but they also want to win. Case in point, Greg Monroe, who's not even a star, turned down max offers from the Lakers and Knicks to sign with Milwaukee. Let that sink in.

But why does Kobe azz keep showing up. He did the same thing last year when they pursued Camelo.

That's what the star players do now. Duncan, Dirk, Harden, etc., meet with free agents along with management.

That's what the star players do now. Duncan, Dirk, Harden, etc., meet with free agents along with management.

But most stars are very likeable. Everybody knows Kobe is an azz and a lot of people just don't care for him.

All of the players are actually underpaid.
Yeah in reference to the NBA and the owners, but to us folks with regular salaries, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that says a player making $16 million a year to be a role player is underpaid.

Really? So, I guess he showed up on his own without management asking him to be present right? SMH

Kobe is at the end of his career and there's no need to get his input on any decisions. I'm shocked they are not telling his azz to stay the muck away.

Yeah in reference to the NBA and the owners, but to us folks with regular salaries, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that says a player making $16 million a year to be a role player is underpaid.

Well, when there is a restriction on salaries how else are you supposed to described it?

Kobe is at the end of his career and there's no need to get his input on any decisions. I'm shocked they are not telling his azz to stay the muck away.

The Lakers being a 20-win team with an uncertain future played a bigger role than Kobe being there.

I disagree. Mitch is not the problem at all. This is all about Jim Buss and to a large degree, David Stern, who blocked the Chris Paul trade. Buss' mistake was thinking he could do it all by himself without at least seeking feedback from Kobe.

We know that the stunt pull by the former commissioner was fout as hell and unprecedented, and that Jim Buss is clueless. But this time around this is all on Mitch if he doesn't get a star big to play down low.

He himself said that all the decisions made this go around will be his with Buss blessings. i.e. taking D'Angelo Russell instead of Jahlil Okafor.

At this stage of the game, it would be better to just tank another season and wait until next year if he can't get a legitimate big out of this FA period.

Kobe probably didn't help matters, but the Lakers could have given a perfect presentation and still been unlikely to sign Aldridge. Players want to get paid, but they also want to win. Case in point, Greg Monroe, who's not even a star, turned down max offers from the Lakers and Knicks to sign with Milwaukee. Let that sink in.

Not so, the lakers didn't offer him max

Report: Lakers and Knicks didn’t offer Greg Monroe maximum contracts
Dan Feldman

Jul 2, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

2 Comments
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptewm2zjnmvjnje2ytzkyzi3mmq3mtq2zde2ogu0mtu4.jpeg
Getty Images
Are the Lakers and Knicks striking out in free agency?

Or are they just being patient?

Score one for patience with Greg Monroe, who agreed to a three-year max contract with the Bucks.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Monroe plans to join a young core of talent with the Bucks, who made a strong commitment to Monroe after the Los Angeles Lakers and Knicks didn’t offer full maximum contracts, league sources said.

I think Monroe is worth a max contract to the Bucks and most teams with cap space this summer and a need for a center.

But the Lakers and Knicks, who have cap space and need centers, are different.

Part of the appeal of signing Monroe now is not having to compete for free agents with the huge number of teams that will have max cap space next summer. The Lakers and Knicks don’t have to worry as much about that, though. They can secure meetings with most, if not every, major free agent due to their prominent markets.

But why does Kobe azz keep showing up. He did the same thing last year when they pursued Camelo.

This must be happening in your dream or some where huh?

Because as I know of to this day, this is probably the first time that Kobe went on an interview in the Jim Buss era. That's what everybody was getting on Jim Buss ass about when he first took over the team. ( not consulting your star player )

Not so, the lakers didn't offer him max

Report: Lakers and Knicks didn’t offer Greg Monroe maximum contracts
Dan Feldman

Jul 2, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT

2 Comments
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptewm2zjnmvjnje2ytzkyzi3mmq3mtq2zde2ogu0mtu4.jpeg
Getty Images
Are the Lakers and Knicks striking out in free agency?

Or are they just being patient?

Score one for patience with Greg Monroe, who agreed to a three-year max contract with the Bucks.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Monroe plans to join a young core of talent with the Bucks, who made a strong commitment to Monroe after the Los Angeles Lakers and Knicks didn’t offer full maximum contracts, league sources said.

I think Monroe is worth a max contract to the Bucks and most teams with cap space this summer and a need for a center.

But the Lakers and Knicks, who have cap space and need centers, are different.

Part of the appeal of signing Monroe now is not having to compete for free agents with the huge number of teams that will have max cap space next summer. The Lakers and Knicks don’t have to worry as much about that, though. They can secure meetings with most, if not every, major free agent due to their prominent markets.

I saw reports saying differently, but even if they weren't max offers, the difference in salary was likely negligible. In either case, my bigger point remains that a player both teams wanted went to a much smaller market, citing that the Bucks were playoff ready.

This must be happening in your dream or some where huh?

Because as I know of to this day, this is probably the first time that Kobe went on an interview in the Jim Buss era. That's what everybody was getting on Jim Buss ass about when he first took over the team. ( not consulting your star player )

Kobe did meet with Carmelo last summer, but I think it wasn't during the team's pitch. It was very widely reported that Kobe was part of the team's meeting with Dwight Howard.

I saw reports saying differently, but even if they weren't max offers, the difference in salary was likely negligible. In either case, my bigger point remains that a player both teams wanted went to a much smaller market, citing that the Bucks were playoff ready.

It was in the neighborhood of 30 million dollars difference.. In Greg Monroe case, they just weren't going to spend it on him.

Kobe did meet with Carmelo last summer, but I think it wasn't during the team's pitch. It was very widely reported that Kobe was part of the team's meeting with Dwight Howard.

Those guys are actual friends, well was in the case of Dwight Howard past tense. You're thinking about him meeting with Dwight when he opt out after playing with the lakers. That's when Kobe bascially told him that he needed to GTFU.

In the case of Carmelo, he never got to meet with him because he was stuck out of the country trying to get back from the Olympics or something that he had attended.

Those guys are actual friends, well was in the case of Dwight Howard past tense. You're thinking about him meeting with Dwight when he opt out after playing with the lakers. That's when Kobe bascially told him that he needed to GTFU.

In the case of Carmelo, he never got to meet with him because he was stuck out of the country trying to get back from the Olympics or something that he had attended.

There was no Olympics last year.

Kobe misses Carmelo meeting; will meet with free agent Thursday evening
by Gordon Brunt Jul 3, 5:07 PM
w640xh480_REU_1726201.jpg

Danny Moloshok / REUTERS

An altered meeting time has forced Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant to miss his team's meeting with coveted free agent Carmelo Anthony on Thursday, a source for ESPN has learned

Despite missing the meeting, ESPN reports Bryant intends to meet with Anthony later in the evening. Bryant is en route from his European vacation and hoped to arrive in Los Angeles in time, but the initial meeting time was changed, forcing Bryant to make alternate plans to try and help lure Anthony to the City of Angels.

Bryant's meeting with the star free agent will occur after the New York Knicks make their pitch to Anthony.

There's no indication yet on how the meeting between the two sides went, but it appears to have concluded just before 6 p.m. ET.

Back