WTF?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our student arranger was an SU transfer, Blake Gaines. You ever heard of him?

Yeah I had a chance to meet him when he came to visit us while I was in the band (I think he was a high school director in ATL and he brought his students). One of his gripes was the fact that Doc didn't let the band play his arrangements. He does have a few songs in our library vault.

I've seen 2 cases in which a student has directed (Neck-E. Taylor, and Bag Lady-Nate Haymer).

My point exactly. It's not only gotta be good, it's gotta be great, damn near better than one of the staff arrangers would have done(Neck.. It's damn near our theme song!!!) You gotta know "THE FORMULA", and not just be throwin some notes on a page and expect it to beast and sound good just because a good band is playing it. A good band is a combination of the arrangers, directors and the musicians. It all has to be in perfect harmony(No musical pun intended.)

Thank you for adding some perspective. I knew SU had student arrangers back in the day; just didn't remember who they were.

Yes, your piece had to be tight before Harold J. Haughton would introduce it to us in rehearsal. I wasn't the one to learn music that we weren't gonna perform. :bump:

Thank you for adding some perspective. I knew SU had student arrangers back in the day; just didn't remember who they were.

Yes, your piece had to be tight before Harold J. Haughton would introduce it to us in rehearsal. I wasn't the one to learn music that we weren't gonna perform. :bump:

Yeah, wasted memory..... But I memorize concert music, so it's never an issue for me.

But, back on subject.... The DM did have a lil' twang to his conducting style......:banana:

When was he DM? I can't imagine he lasted more than a year, unless someone helped refine his technique. I just don't see those maneuvers going over very well in Scotlandville. :what:

When was he DM? I can't imagine he lasted more than a year, unless someone helped refine his technique. I just don't see those maneuvers going over very well in Scotlandville. :what:

:smoke:<--- Doc: WTF is he doin?! You know what, everythang gon' be aaaalright.....

89-90 (zipped during mid-season). My brother told me that he was a beast but I think he did something during his backbend that Doc didn't like and Doc zipped him on the spot.

COMEDY!!!!
1.gif

SU's drum majors nowadays be all in the next section eatin nachos and sh*t. lol. "yo job is to do the back bend n*gg*. that's IT"

89-90 (zipped during mid-season). My brother told me that he was a beast but I think he did something during his backbend that Doc didn't like and Doc zipped him on the spot.

Prolly snatched his uniform right when he got off the field and put it on himself.... Lookin like "Smoke" from Mortal Kombat in a band uniform......

LOL. Clearly some of Alcorn's drum majors can't even read music, so they have no business directing anyway. You dont have to be in the band to be a DM there. They have open tryouts like for J-Settes or something. lol.

You're kidding........

How can you be the leader of the band and don't have to be a member.

:lol:

Back in the day, the DMs were either music majors or former section leaders who could easily fill in as an assistant director. Is that no longer the case? *blank stare* :noidea:

Well when I was at PV we (DM's) didn't have to be music majors or even section leaders, but you did have to know your music and be good on your instrument. Your marching had to be top notched and you had to be able to teach your craft.

Our drum major is the band director on the field. In the stands our arrangers direct their own songs. There are other important things our DM takes care of.

I've always seen SU's DM as nothing but a figurehead, just by looking at what he does on the field. He really doesn't do much on the field besides his backbend and blow that initial whistle. He doesn't direct any of the music on the field and spends more time on 1 knee than anything else.

But, back on subject.... The DM did have a lil' twang to his conducting style......:banana:

That DM is Gerald Banks. He was a pretty cold DM and there is no twang about old GB. Celestine took over for him. Let's just say Gerald was a rough neck-Bobby Brown type DM, maybe too much for the black man. Gerald probably cursed Doc out when he zipped him. LOL. I am sure ole Zock can share the real story. Cool frat though. His older brother marched with us and probably would have been a cold DM if it wasn't for my LB Derrick "Oops" Moss who was the second coldest SU DM in history to us old heads but probably the most legendary one. The coldest was Andre Ross 83, 84. Aint none been like frat since then.

im not as old school as you JR so in my era.....its stil Terrel Jackson, Jr. TJ to most......aint been one like him since......louis my boy....i crabbed him.....i knew he was gone be the drum major when he was a crab......but TJ got him. Donnovan had the potential..... but he aint do much in 03.:clap:

just like he zipped Mario from Atl after he came off the field for the classic in 99.....Dallas was the Dm at the swac Championship......uh huh......and you wonder why he's called the black devil.....but we still love him!:D

... my LB Derrick "Oops" Moss who was the second coldest SU DM in history to us old heads but probably the most legendary one. The coldest was Andre Ross 83, 84. ...
Hmmmmm. I think a certain Roy Barnes ("Rubberband Man") Might have something to say about that.

<ahem> Know your history! <ahem> :D

I heard of that story, but never HEARD the story. What happened?

well from what people told me......he took too long on his backbend at the classic and doc zipped him.....i think doc was just too used to TJ and since he was gone.......he figured he didnt like Mario after all. i mean Mr J told us that doc came out and said who wants to be drummajor? at practice one day, mario stepped up did what he had to do and that was that. i was real cool with mario when i was in the band so he told me doc used to ***** wit him when he was dm.....thats why he bought his own stick, he didnt use the one everybody else had.

I could tell some stories about crab week that year and the DM tryouts but somebody has some incriminating evidence on me so I'll remain :quiet:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back