Will growing gas prices/inflation impact SWAC attendance?

tsugraytiger

Happy Wednesday SWAC family!

Gas is expected to reach over $5 in the South by the end of summer and maybe even closer to $10 (depending on where you live). On top of that cost of living (particularly rent) has gone up in most cities.

So do ya'll think SWAC attendance will be impacted or most of our people will be able to overcome these obstacles given we are a very resilient people? I'm not gonna lie, I've already made cuts in travel this summer as a result of the economic state of our country and will likely reconsider on some SWAC games I had planned to travel to (may watch on TV).

Here's an article I found about it that sparked my curiosity. Also please feel free to move this thread if needed.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Let me rephrase this question to better fortify your position, will our HBCUs have to raise ticket prices to keep up with hard financial times, and will alum and fans still be willing to pay those prices to attend? Cause I think that’s where things are headed if prices don’t start coming down.

Yes GIF by Miguel

It's more than just gas. It's rising rent, rising food costs... pretty much everything is going up except for the pay for people in the middle class. Around ATL you see more and more families cohabiting in one house. It may be all roses now but there's 100% recession coming for the average American. All these folks aren't out here protesting about pay for no reason.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Let me rephrase this question to better fortify your position, will our HBCUs have to raise ticket prices to keep up with hard financial times, and will alum and fans still be willing to pay those prices to attend? Cause I think that’s where things are headed if prices don’t start coming down.

Most have already set their season ticket prices so if you're just buying tickets game to game, you might get caught with a higher price.

Y'all don't have an electric vehicle yet? Get with the program. :p:cool:

power chair GIF

Happy Wednesday SWAC family!

Gas is expected to reach over $5 in the South by the end of summer and maybe even closer to $10 (depending on where you live). On top of that cost of living (particularly rent) has gone up in most cities.

So do ya'll think SWAC attendance will be impacted or most of our people will be able to overcome these obstacles given we are a very resilient people? I'm not gonna lie, I've already made cuts in travel this summer as a result of the economic state of our country and will likely reconsider on some SWAC games I had planned to travel to (may watch on TV).

Here's an article I found about it that sparked my curiosity. Also please feel free to move this thread if needed.

I would say basketball more than football will get the screw job not just in the SWAC but everywhere especially in non-conference.

Back