what makes grambling so slaw???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co signing. The people from Grambling know this, they just wont admit it. And that is why the problem wont be solved until they admit the fact that they are not good as what they think. It took PB people a while to figure that out in 98 and 99. We used to have that pride that we are a good band. A reality check hit a lot of peeps in the band, and we realize we wasnt as good as we thought we was. Instead of being on the Swac page arguing, we decided to work in the band room and improve the sound we already had. Trust me, this PB band is far from slaw, but we still have a long way to go. We know this and everybody else does. We are far better than Grambling, we know this Grambling knows this, but they deny it. Its ok, pride can be the downfall of a good program......

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yes. Any band could. The thing about it we would sound good though. Lets break down what you guys did on Saturday. You did a drill, did a concert tune and danced. What so spectacular about that?? PB has 2 drills under thier betlsl already working on a third one this week. The concert selection probably made the the show a little longer. The rest I didnt see, so I cant comment. We have dont 20 minute shows for homecoming and only had a week to prepare.......

Originally posted by JR
Get off him SOG. You GSU mofos need to check yourselves at the damn door. SU's investigation is not a good thing no different than GSU's was. But like he said we are taking care of the criminals. That has nothing to do with our academics. You have crooks at every school. Plus that crap is old news. SU ain't going nowhere. Our alumni don't play that isht.

Now I am sorry you GSU folks feelings are hurt. But I know alot of my KKPSI bruhs from GSU just shake their damn head at what has happened over there. Sure GSU has a name. A name built by Eddie Robinson. The band just benefitted. At least SU has earned their way to our status without the benefit of a legendary coach. We have a long resume which includes multiple Super Bowl Performances, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Pro football games, NBA games, Presidential Inaugurations, not to mention SU Band Members selected to the 1984 US Olympic Band which Dr. Greggs was one of the directors. Who also himself received a NAACP Image Award in 01. So all this talk of SU not having a bigger legacy than GSU is B.S.

These kids in other bands in the SWAC know that GSU aint what it used to be and get tired of all this World Famed in your face crap. When they are not living up to that name. It's just like the Dallas Cowboys current team trying to live off the rep that the early 90s and older teams created. That's all these kids are saying. But you GSU folks get mad because they tell the truth. If SU was sad I would not be mad at the posters, I would be mad at the school, the director and band members for not upholding our name. I actually wish the best for GSU band. I feel for the kids. I blame their leadership. But make no mistake about it, they are far from deserving the World Famed moniker that was earned by much better GSU bands. If you can't see that, then you are thinking with your heart and not your head.

Before someone says I am hating, I am not. I played against good GSU bands. No need for me to hate at all. Do I think SU is the same as it used to be? No I don't. But in no way have they fallen off like GSU. Things are just different. Is JSU the same Boom of the 70's and 80's? No, but they still bring something to the table every year. While PV and UAPB and other SWAC bands have improved enough to also garner their attention now. So why should they give GSU props when all of their bands are better than them? That's the question you GSU folks should ask yourself? Answer those questions and you can understand why people in the SWAC feel the way they do. No jealousy at all. Just facts.

A question that JR asked....
What has the last 10 years of GSU band done for that legacy of yours?

I'll start with my time.

Summer 1999 Series of commercials for Cartoon Network and Tampax

Swac band of the year (TSPN)

Fall 2000 invited to be the first band in the NCAA Hall of fame

2001 played in the Presidential Inagurational parade

2001 Commercial for Fox Sports
2002 Drumline.

The list continues..

PV way better than GRAM, that is pushing it just a bit. Just because you are the swac best kept secret does not put you head and shoulders above GRAM. Not trying to discredit PV's program in any shape form or fashion. I could respect a lot of opinions that have been posted about GSU 1st performance if they were there in person to witness the performance in San Jose. Since you were not, you speaking from a half empty glass. I was one of the many GSU peeps at the game and I can tell they sounded decent. GSU still have strides to make but at least they are improving. I am not asking you to take my word for it, but you really should see GSU before you pass judgement on GSU.

Three reasons why GSU is so slaw I will only give you one.

Because they are GSU what have known to expect but slawness form GSU so just live with it o k....

Originally posted by TRU2GSU
PV way better than GRAM, that is pushing it just a bit. Just because you are the swac best kept secret does not put you head and shoulders above GRAM. Not trying to discredit PV's program in any shape form or fashion. I could respect a lot of opinions that have been posted about GSU 1st performance if they were there in person to witness the performance in San Jose. Since you were not, you speaking from a half empty glass. I was one of the many GSU peeps at the game and I can tell they sounded decent. GSU still have strides to make but at least they are improving. I am not asking you to take my word for it, but you really should see GSU before you pass judgement on GSU.

I was there and can give a honest opinion about their performance. I'll even post some pics later......

Anyway S.U. T-Bone 99. The GSU band was never voted #1 by the SWAC. Nor did I ever say that the GSU band was ever voted #1 by the swac. I said the WORLD hence WORLD FAMED. Do you know why the nic-name is world famed? Because of the amout of recognition and exposure they get from travling so offen and so far. GSU band has been to alot of different places in the world and is recognized for that. A little history. Before World Famed they were called the Coast to Coast band and before that the Band that Never Stops. Why do you think that is? Because we have exposure and a great reputation for putting on a good show. It's as simple as that. Dr. Eddie G. Robinson was a good coach but a large part of GSU's sucess was be cause of Conrad Hutch and that band. The band has its reputation on its own. I'm sorry to hear about SU and the Feds but these investigations take a while to unfold but if SU doesn't handle business your school could become the next Morris Brown! Next to answer your queston I know a few Southernites but they tell me " As long as the Southern band is loud.....we dont care how they sound!" Are these your thoughts too? IS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY NOT GOOD UNLESS THEY ARE LOUD? 98 LAST RIP YOU FORGOT THE SUPER BOWL

Originally posted by Prof K
Next to answer your queston I know a few Southernites but they tell me " As long as the Southern band is loud.....we dont care how they sound!" Are these your thoughts too? IS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY NOT GOOD UNLESS THEY ARE LOUD?

That couldn't have been a band member's point of view.:rolleyes:

I was there and can give a honest opinion about their performance. I'll even post so

I look forward to reading your honest opinion. Fiyah were you sitting on the east side or the west side?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Prof K
Next to answer your queston I know a few Southernites but they tell me " As long as the Southern band is loud.....we dont care how they sound!" Are these your thoughts too? IS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY NOT GOOD UNLESS THEY ARE LOUD?
Someone from Southern quoted the same thing to me. :shame: :shame: :shame:

You guys are killing me. First of all to answer 98 RIP, GSU went into the NCAA Hall of Fame based on what pre-90s GSU bands accomplished. The last 10 years or so had nothing to do with it. Next thing. No one said GSU had no legacy. The fact remains that in the last decade or so, the legacy is not being upheld. BTW, the last Super Bowl was again riding on the coat-tails of the NFL honoring Eddie Robinson and Doug Williams in San Diego. Another gravy train. When SU has done Super Bowls it had nothing to do with honoring no SU alumnus or coach. The band got there on their own merit. The commerical is about the only thing you can say they earned. Drumline don't count. We all know FAMU and SU said no. Only for Orlando Jones to say SU should have been there after witnessing the BC Battle of the Bands. Even NBC announcers said SU had a clean sweep.

Why can't you folks get it in your head that GSU is no longer a top HBCU band program. Living off name will not get it. Whether SU plays loud or not, when folks see both bands they always say SU looks, sounds, and march much better than GSU. So does JSU, so does PV(waiting on frat Fiyah to post pics), UAPB has by passed them and I would say Alcorn and AAMU as well. But hey I understand yall love your alma mater. Because if SU looked like that, I would be pissed.:redhot: and would be in denial like you folks are. Oh well. I got to give it to ya. Yall have convinced yourselves.

Also to the person who thinks SU will turn into Morris Brown. No disrespect to Morris Brown, but we are SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY and that isht will not happen in Baton Rouge. If it did, you know that means Grambling would have already been shut down prior to them white folks coming to mess with us. Remember who's part of that University of Louisiana system. It damn shole aint us. We'll be alright.

Lesson #1

Originally posted by S.U. T-BONE 99
LOL!!!!! All I can do is laugh and tell yall that yall better make sure you get your education before they shut yall down.:smh:
Jr,....it's not a good feeling gettin' many stone thrown at you because of your one,....is it??? A matter of this sort is nothing to laugh at. I see that you can't stand us and I respect that but, just let it be because we're going to debate on and on and on until our fingers tips turn blue. I don't agree with your conclusion of the Superbowl in 98. And about riding on the fame of a legendary coach. Well think about this for a second,..........when fans come to a game,......who does the majority comes to see?????? I'm sorry but, you got your facts on Grambling ALL WRONG. Mr. Hutchinson knew a lot of people which was helpful to both the football team and the band. I said it before and I'll say it again,....Coach Rob and Mr. Hutchinson didn't have an EGO problem. They had struggling programs and teamed up and helped each other.
And another thing,....what does that say to SU's band when Grambling's was selected to do Wheel of Fortune and your cheerleaders danced to our groove???? I Read that they wanted the best known band in the State to represent and as you can see,....It was not you. Yall must turned them down too as well as the La Dept. of Tourism???

Originally posted by GoodFella
And then you woke up...
Maybe you need to wake up yourself. The more I read your post,...the more I feel I need to remind you that you go to school in Arkansas at uapb,...not Baton Rouge.

Re: Lesson #1

Originally posted by Legend35

And another thing,....what does that say to SU's band when Grambling's was selected to do Wheel of Fortune and your cheerleaders danced to our groove???? I Read that they wanted the best known band in the State to represent and as you can see,....It was not you. Yall must turned them down too as well as the La Dept. of Tourism???

LOL!!! Yeah you still stupid. We turned down wheel of fortune too. Drumline was not the first thing that Dr. Greggs ever turned down. We've had all kinds of opportunities to go places and be filmed for lots of things, but Doc's philosophy is we're at school to get an education and if I were to take all engagements we would never be in school. I have to agree with Doc on that one because I came to Southern in '99 and graduated in '03 with a degree in Biology (Microbiology). Btw Doc was a U.S. ambassador for Louisiana, do you really think that they wouldn't call him first. LOL! everybody in that office knows him. You should quit while you're behind cause you're making yourself look dumber by the post.

SU PEOPLE GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES, YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT EVERY THING GSU DID SU HAS BEEN CALLEN FIRST TO DO IT AND THAT IS A DAMN LIE. THEN YOU SAY THAT DOC TURNS DOWN A LOT OF THINGS BECAUSE HE THINKS ABOUT EDUCATION FIRST, GOING ALL OVER THE WORLD, EXPERIENCING BEING IN COMMERCIALS, MOVIES ARE APART OF EDUCATION AND IT IS SOEMTHING THAT YOU CAN'T DO ON YOUR OWN, GRAMBLING BAND GIVES YOU MORE DOORS TO OPEN AND HELPS YOU SEE THE WORLD, YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP YOUR GRADES UP WITH ALL THAT TRAVELING BUT IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY, A LOT OF PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE IT.

Truth of the matter is maybe yall can't handle all of that responsibility and that's why Grambling is a step above the rest. You don't have to admit it. Every excuse you make with regards to your band's rejection at opportunities says it all.

It is the "s" on the chest that's let's you know they are SCARED of trying something new. :smh: :smh: :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back