TxSu Hires Johnny Jones as Basketball Coach

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Great recruiter. Maybe he can convince a Ben Simmons like player to come to us like he did at LSU.

Why is this a nice hire when this guy was terrible and I do mean TERRIBLE while at LSU?
Some of his playcalling and offensive schemes at LSU was underwhelming to say the least even though he had quality players.

But look what he did at North Texas in the Sunbelt

Makes sense, he knows TX area recruiting from coaching at UNT. My only concern is his actual coaching. He had Ben Simmons at LSU and didn' t make the NCAA tournament.

Good Luck to the former Derrider (LA.) High School Dragon! (except when you play Southern University Basketball Jaguars)

Good recruiter, but it does not translate into wins. Those blowout losses (the year LSU fired him) with Ben Simmons were unexplainable. I believe Davis gets that team into the NCAA tourney.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I am a talent guy, i think coaching is ove rated. Give me talent from that Dallas area and some transfers. We can figure out the rest.

I am a talent guy, i think coaching is ove rated. Give me talent from that Dallas area and some transfers. We can figure out the rest.

I remember Dale Brown had the best talent ever assembled on a collegiate basketball court with Chris Jackson (2-time first team All American and SEC player of the year), Shaq O’Neal, and Stanley Roberts. LSU was a unanimous preseason #1, and finished I think 3rd in the SEC. Coaching matters.

That's where folks underestimate the SWAC when it comes to coaching. Just because you did well in one conference doesn't mean you'll do well in the SWAC.
Just ask some of the coaches who went from FBS schools to the SWAC.
They don't call it "rough in the SWAC" for nothing.
I mean one just has to look at TXSU football for a real-life example of this.

But compare the leagues........ Swac vs SEC and Swac vs Sunbelt
What was impressive about what he did at North Texas? 2 Conference titles in 11 seasons, got knocked out in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 2 appearances, and only 2 games above .500 in conference play is impressive in the Sun Belt?

I'm not saying he won't be great at TXSU however, let's not crown him just yet.

Last edited:
What was impressive about what he did at North Texas? 2 Conference titles in 11 seasons, got knocked out in the first round of the NCAA tournament in 2 appearances, and only 2 games above .500 in conference play is impressive in the Sun Belt?

I'm not saying he won't be great at TXSU however, let's not crown him just yet.

But look what he did there from 2006 forward at North Texas.

2006–07 North Texas 23–11
2007–08 North Texas 20–11
2008–09 North Texas 20–12
2009–10 North Texas 24–9
2010–11 North Texas 22–11
2011–12 North Texas 18–14

In his 11 seasons there he only had 2 losing seasons and that was his 2nd and 3rd year there. He basically rebuilt that program from the beginning and ended it with 8 continuing winning seasons before moving on to LSU. He will inherit a better program than what he had at NTSU.

But we will see.

Back