The REAL issue with electric cars! Your input?

Ford pauses a $12 billion EV investment, after saying electric vehicles are too expensive

Ford has halted billions of dollars in investment in EV manufacturing, warning that customers will not pay a premium for these vehicles.

The auto giant announced in its third-quarter earnings call on Thursday that it would postpone $12 billion in planned spending on electric vehicle production and pause some major projects, including the construction of a new battery factory in Kentucky.

Why not lower the prices a little? Tesla lowered prices on their cars earlier this year.

Ford pauses a $12 billion EV investment, after saying electric vehicles are too expensive

Ford has halted billions of dollars in investment in EV manufacturing, warning that customers will not pay a premium for these vehicles.

The auto giant announced in its third-quarter earnings call on Thursday that it would postpone $12 billion in planned spending on electric vehicle production and pause some major projects, including the construction of a new battery factory in Kentucky.

Wow, so they're just going to give up? Guess this is what we get with the participation generation is starting to take over.

You can't force people to buy something they don't want, especially when EVs are more expensive than ICE vehicles. Finally, an EV car company gets it. EVs are too expensive, charging is a hassle, and the driving mileage range is too low.

It's not that people are not buying into electric vehicles. It's that Ford's versions are way too expensive. Not to mention that their vehicles are constantly being recalled now. Why would anyone trust their electric versions? Ford is not the future of electric vehicles.

Wow, so they're just going to give up? Guess this is what we get with the participation generation is starting to take over.
Ford knows it isn't going to meet it's deadline for producing only electric vehicles in the mid 2030's. Ford lost about 1 billion producing EVs last quarter. I guess Ford gave up.

America is falling behind the world. No matter what part of Europe I'm in they have charging stations and most cars are hybrids. The baby bommer generation of change resistance is ingrained in the hearts of Americans and will cause it to be a third world country

Ford knows it isn't going to meet it's deadline for producing only electric vehicles in the mid 2030's. Ford lost about 1 billion producing EVs last quarter. I guess Ford gave up.
What' crazy is I have met a lot of people who love their Ford Fusion Hybrid, but I guess making the complete jump is more than a notion for them

America’s transition to electric vehicles is running into an unexpected snarl.

A surprising crash in prices for lithium, cobalt and other metals used in EV batteries is hitting mining companies, which are suspending or delaying new projects and expansions. The disruptions are threatening to deepen shortages of those materials in coming years and hit the brakes on the Biden administration’s timeline for weaning the country off gas-powered cars.

“This situation is a bit dangerous because the mines aren’t going to get built,” said Anthony Milewski, chief executive of nickel producer Nickel 28, who is a longtime investor in battery metals. “We should be building those mines now and we’re not.”

Battery-grade lithium prices are down more than 60% this year, while nickel, graphite and cobalt have lost about 30%, according to Benchmark Mineral Intelligence. A big factor behind the declines: a weaker-than-expected economic recovery after Covid-19 lockdowns in China, the world’s largest consumer of metals.

Slowing EV demand is also weighing on prices. On Tuesday, Ford cited the pullback for its decision to downsize plans for a Michigan battery plant.

America’s transition to electric vehicles is running into an unexpected snarl.

A surprising crash in prices for lithium, cobalt and other metals used in EV batteries is hitting mining companies, which are suspending or delaying new projects and expansions. The disruptions are threatening to deepen shortages of those materials in coming years and hit the brakes on the Biden administration’s timeline for weaning the country off gas-powered cars.

“This situation is a bit dangerous because the mines aren’t going to get built,” said Anthony Milewski, chief executive of nickel producer Nickel 28, who is a longtime investor in battery metals. “We should be building those mines now and we’re not.”

Battery-grade lithium prices are down more than 60% this year, while nickel, graphite and cobalt have lost about 30%, according to Benchmark Mineral Intelligence. A big factor behind the declines: a weaker-than-expected economic recovery after Covid-19 lockdowns in China, the world’s largest consumer of metals.

Slowing EV demand is also weighing on prices. On Tuesday, Ford cited the pullback for its decision to downsize plans for a Michigan battery plant.

Wish this had happened before I got my used Model Y. I caught mine right before prices dropped, but I have driven this car to death and it's been running good, after 40,000 miles, the only thing I have done to it is some washer fluid and rear tire replacement

GM buys out nearly half of its Buick dealers across the country, who opt to not sell EVs​

General Motors said nearly half its Buick dealers took buyouts this year rather than invest in selling and servicing electric vehicles as the automaker's brands transitions to all electric by 2030.

That means GM will end 2023 with about 1,000 Buick stores nationwide, down 47% from where it started the year.

Late last year, Buick said it would be asking dealers to commit a minimum investment of $300,000 to $400,000 to prepare their stores to sell and service EVs.

"Buick is transforming, launching the best vehicles the brand has ever had and is the fastest growing mainstream brand in 2023," said GM spokesman Sean Poppitt in an email this week to the Detroit Free Press. "This all needs to be supported by the best customer experience in the transition to EVs.

GM buys out nearly half of its Buick dealers across the country, who opt to not sell EVs​

General Motors said nearly half its Buick dealers took buyouts this year rather than invest in selling and servicing electric vehicles as the automaker's brands transitions to all electric by 2030.

That means GM will end 2023 with about 1,000 Buick stores nationwide, down 47% from where it started the year.

Late last year, Buick said it would be asking dealers to commit a minimum investment of $300,000 to $400,000 to prepare their stores to sell and service EVs.

"Buick is transforming, launching the best vehicles the brand has ever had and is the fastest growing mainstream brand in 2023," said GM spokesman Sean Poppitt in an email this week to the Detroit Free Press. "This all needs to be supported by the best customer experience in the transition to EVs.

GM will sell them! It's nothing wrong with EV's. I think people will start buying them in the next year or so.

Toyota, Hyundai and other manufactures need to takeover dealerships. The dealerships are out of control. The local Toyota dealership last year was selling used Toyotas for more than the same model new Toyotas. We told them they were on crack and walked away.

BYD said on Monday it had sold a record 526,000 battery-only vehicles in the final quarter of 2023.

It marked the first quarter its battery-only sales have outpaced Tesla's. The US-based firm has seen demand slow as borrowing costs climb.

However, for the whole of 2023, Mr Musk's Tesla still sold more.

On Tuesday, Tesla said it delivered a record 484,500 electric vehicles in the last three months of 2023 and 1.8 million for the year as a whole.

Why I don't want one. The distance that they travel means no long cross country trips. 2. The time it takes to charge. 3. I have still yet to find good sources that makes it easy to find out how much it costs to fully charge and I more specifically how much the charging stations charge.

No Buyers: EVs Jamming Dealerships with 3- and 4-Month Supplies​

The latest numbers for the first half of 2023 tell us that Tesla is moving the EV iron, but they also tell us that many of the startup and legacy automakers are not. Things seem unusually quiet for EV sales. The predictions for 2023 and rising EV numbers seem like they’re from Mars. So what we must presume is that Tesla, by far, accounts for those increasing overall EV sales. Here’s what the numbers are.

Many of the electric vehicles promised are now here, but where are the buyers? Overall sales make up 6.5% of all brands sold in the U.S. Several automotive consumer sites, including Cox, say this is the year we’ll jump past one million EV sales. Cox also says over 50% of consumers in 2023 are considering either a new or used one.

And I hear that many cars are now having issues.

If you live in a major city it's a good driving around car at best cause your not dependent at the pump and stations are plenty - but we know if electric cars takes flight that'll kill the oil business so they'll do what they can to stop it

Why I don't want one. The distance that they travel means no long cross country trips. 2. The time it takes to charge. 3. I have still yet to find good sources that makes it easy to find out how much it costs to fully charge and I more specifically how much the charging stations charge.
My wife has a tesla model y. We have a charger in our garage. To charge her car fully when we are traveling, is under $20 at the charging stations. We can drive from Maryland to Manhattan, NY on a full charge. That's a four drive. There are charging stations along the way throughout MD, Delaware, and Jersey.

I charge at home and in 12 degree weather, it is handy for the car to have it's on schedule so when my wife gets off work, the car is already warm and ready to go for her. I drove my Model Y Performance over 45,000 miles last year and didn't see the problems they are listing here. I blame Elon for the Tesla issues because they don't educate the buyers good enough on what they are buying, battery chemistry doesn't hold up well in cold weather. My son had a Tesla first, so I knew what I was getting into. Electric cars remind me of trying to get a car when people were still riding horses, I would imagine back then it was waay easier to just jump on your horse and go, than taking a car unpaved trails and dealing with trying to find gas and the breakdowns. When it is below freezing, I warm up my battery before driving or charging. I have a Performance model, so I liken it to driving a V8 car with a 12 gallon tank, it will need a fill up by 200 miles which is slightly inconvenient if you are in a hurry. I hate that I can't go really far, but 97% of the time, my sife is just taking the car to work, we only use the super charger network on long trips. My son and I really like our Teslas, but electric cars aren't for everyone, but I'm really cool with my lack of trips to the repair shop, I bought mine used and my son bought his Model 3 new and we have rolled up the miles on them. Until battery technology can get to the point of longer ranges and more people are able to work on these cars, most people will want to stay away from these cars. The cool thing about the cars is the 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and the very low maintenance. I also like being able to schedule the car to be ready to drive, on a hot day it is already cool, cold days already warm. I love not having a key and being able to just walk up to the car get in and zoom off, I saved over $1600 in gas compared to how much I spent in electricity, but I mostly charge at home. I like being about to watch netflix or prime while doing the 20 -30 minute charge on trips. The drawbacks are the cars are very different than their ICE counterparts. The car looks very plain because to me, it is a golf cart with a computer screen, you can't see the features, but they are too numberous to list here. If you do get into a wreck, it could be expensive. Oh and tires, ohh wee, it is easy to burn up your tires with the excessive torque the car generates, I run mine on chill mode now to preserve my tires. To be honest, I can't stand Elon, but I wish I could afford another Tesla.

I charge at home and in 12 degree weather, it is handy for the car to have it's on schedule so when my wife gets off work, the car is already warm and ready to go for her. I drove my Model Y Performance over 45,000 miles last year and didn't see the problems they are listing here. I blame Elon for the Tesla issues because they don't educate the buyers good enough on what they are buying, battery chemistry doesn't hold up well in cold weather. My son had a Tesla first, so I knew what I was getting into. Electric cars remind me of trying to get a car when people were still riding horses, I would imagine back then it was waay easier to just jump on your horse and go, than taking a car unpaved trails and dealing with trying to find gas and the breakdowns. When it is below freezing, I warm up my battery before driving or charging. I have a Performance model, so I liken it to driving a V8 car with a 12 gallon tank, it will need a fill up by 200 miles which is slightly inconvenient if you are in a hurry. I hate that I can't go really far, but 97% of the time, my sife is just taking the car to work, we only use the super charger network on long trips. My son and I really like our Teslas, but electric cars aren't for everyone, but I'm really cool with my lack of trips to the repair shop, I bought mine used and my son bought his Model 3 new and we have rolled up the miles on them. Until battery technology can get to the point of longer ranges and more people are able to work on these cars, most people will want to stay away from these cars. The cool thing about the cars is the 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and the very low maintenance. I also like being able to schedule the car to be ready to drive, on a hot day it is already cool, cold days already warm. I love not having a key and being able to just walk up to the car get in and zoom off, I saved over $1600 in gas compared to how much I spent in electricity, but I mostly charge at home. I like being about to watch netflix or prime while doing the 20 -30 minute charge on trips. The drawbacks are the cars are very different than their ICE counterparts. The car looks very plain because to me, it is a golf cart with a computer screen, you can't see the features, but they are too numberous to list here. If you do get into a wreck, it could be expensive. Oh and tires, ohh wee, it is easy to burn up your tires with the excessive torque the car generates, I run mine on chill mode now to preserve my tires. To be honest, I can't stand Elon, but I wish I could afford another Tesla.
My wife loves her Tesla. She wants the Model X, but that thing is expensive. The prices of the Tesla's have dropped a little.

My wife loves her Tesla. She wants the Model X, but that thing is expensive. The prices of the Tesla's have dropped a little.
Yeah the Model X cost too much, they want too much for it. I think the Model Y is more dependable anyway. My wife claims the Tesla is for me, but she drives the hell out of it. Thanks to the Tesla I rarely put gas in my 19 year old Nissan Armada, but that truck is tough and cranks up the every 4-6 weeks when I drive it.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Electric vehicles that typically weigh more than gasoline-powered cars can easily crash through steel highway guardrails that are not designed to withstand the extra force, raising concerns about the nation’s roadside safety system, according to crash test data released Wednesday by the University of Nebraska.

Electric vehicles typically weigh 20% to 50% more than gas-powered vehicles thanks to batteries that can weigh almost as much as a small gas-powered car. And they have lower centers of gravity. Because of these differences, guardrails can do little to stop electric vehicles from pushing through barriers typically made of steel.

I just plug up at home, but they are all over in oil greedy Texas, even the free chargers are plentiful
My wife bought the Tesla X with six seats three weeks ago. That thing is nice. It feels like you are in a spaceship. I traded my car in to get her the X. I now drive the Y that she was driving. I'm getting used to driving in gradually. I like the speed.

My wife bought the Tesla X with six seats three weeks ago. That thing is nice. It feels like you are in a spaceship. I traded my car in to get her the X. I now drive the Y that she was driving. I'm getting used to driving in gradually. I like the speed.
If you got the the performance watch your back. My Model Y performance already ran through some tires, that 3.5 0-60 from a standstill will burn up some tires, that almost 500 ft pounds of torque is no joke

Back