The 81st Magic City Classic A&M vs ASU

Ross jumped at the first thing he saw…. (Just like Hugine would have)…. President Wims a business man.. He doesnt think like past administration.… the new AD either. Watch whats about it happen.

Ross jumped at the first thing he saw…. (Just like Hugine would have)…. President Wims a business man.. He doesnt think like past administration.… the new AD either. Watch whats about it happen.
show'em how it's done.
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Not sure of the angle on not signing; however, the intent was not to sign.
One of the snags with the City of B'ham was a provision in the offered contract that prohibited A&M and State from seeking or negotiating with a third party on a different location of the game until ninety days after the game was played. This provision would effectively prevent the classic from moving somewhere else because after that ninety-day period expired, there would not be enough time to reach an agreement with a third party and give that third party time to organize the classic and procure a location. This provision would effectively keep us tied to ASC as the only organizer of the event. A&M held talks with the City about this provision before it signed the contract with the City. It is safe to assume that this provision wa addressed to A&M's satisfaction before it signed.

One of the snags with the City of B'ham was a provision in the offered contract that prohibited A&M and State from seeking or negotiating with a third party on a different location of the game until ninety days after the game was played. This provision would effectively prevent the classic from moving somewhere else because after that ninety-day period expired, there would not be enough time to reach an agreement with a third party and give that third party time to organize the classic and procure a location. This provision would effectively keep us tied to ASC as the only organizer of the event. A&M held talks with the City about this provision before it signed the contract with the City. It is safe to assume that this provision wa addressed to A&M's satisfaction before it signed.
I am extremely excited about this business adventure. Hopefully, this will set the tone for all HBCU's to realize their value.

1.2 is a nice piece of change. Yall have to figure out a way to get this game on tv though. Doesn't have to be prime time tv on ABC but hell, even ESPN+ live would be a win.
Don't nobody outside of Alabama wanna see that. It's an event. It's played between two schools who really don't care about football and never have. I think keeping it that way makes it special for them.

I am extremely excited about this business adventure. Hopefully, this will set the tone for all HBCU's to realize their value.

I hope it is good news for you all. I will keep a close eye on this because I don't see how AAMU has leverage. What yall gonna do? Leave the classic? 🤣 🤣 You have nothing else to gain a penny from and if they double dare you, what will be your move? They would just replace you with Miles and move on. This is like TNState in Memphis. They have NO negotiating power.

As for setting the tone, Jackson State already did that.

I hope it is good news for you all. I will keep a close eye on this because I don't see how AAMU has leverage. What yall gonna do? Leave the classic? 🤣 🤣 You have nothing else to gain a penny from and if they double dare you, what will be your move? They would just replace you with Miles and move on. This is like TNState in Memphis. They have NO negotiating power.

You still don't understand business the American way. A&M is holding the best cards right now. We are going to get $750,000 without ASC. The city is giving each team $500,000 and the county is giving $250,000 each. (Though that county money is coming through ASC, it is unlikely that the county will allow ASC to give the entire amount to State simply because A&M did not sign with ASC). This year is State's home year and they can keep the other money raised by ASC. Next year is our home year and we get to keep the rest of money raised by ASC or another organizer. Because we did not sign with ASC, we got another year to sign with them or time to sign with someone else who would have time to organize and properly promote the event.

A&M's leverage is that it takes both schools to draw the crowd to make the Classic. If they could just replace A&M with Miles or any other school and draw that well, State would be scheduling a game with that other team as a regular season game.

No, I think Alcorn set the tone when they decided to leave the Soul Bowl. JSU followed with the game in Memphis vs Tennessee State. No disrespect to Miles College; however, replacing AAMU with Miles and having the same impact is laughable. That's like trying to have the Bayou Classic without Grambling or Southern. You of all people should understand the impact of a rivalry.

No, I think Alcorn set the tone when they decided to leave the Soul Bowl. JSU followed with the game in Memphis vs Tennessee State. No disrespect to Miles College; however, replacing AAMU with Miles and having the same impact is laughable. That's like trying to have the Bayou Classic without Grambling or Southern. You of all people should understand the impact of a rivalry.

The Alcorn vs JSU game didnt have a promoter 90% of the time. Its not like people go to the MCC for the game so Miles, Tuskegee etc.. would fill in just fine. As long as yall can tailgate and wear a new outfit, that is all that matters. Yall only have about 5K fans anyway.

You still don't understand business the American way. A&M is holding the best cards right now. We are going to get $750,000 without ASC. The city is giving each team $500,000 and the county is giving $250,000 each. (Though that county money is coming through ASC, it is unlikely that the county will allow ASC to give the entire amount to State simply because A&M did not sign with ASC). This year is State's home year and they can keep the other money raised by ASC. Next year is our home year and we get to keep the rest of money raised by ASC or another organizer. Because we did not sign with ASC, we got another year to sign with them or time to sign with someone else who would have time to organize and properly promote the event.

A&M's leverage is that it takes both schools to draw the crowd to make the Classic. If they could just replace A&M with Miles or any other school and draw that well, State would be scheduling a game with that other team as a regular season game.

So basically y'all doing all this this to get the same money next year that y'all could have got this year. What if ASC decides to only work with AlaState and only fund the game when ASU is the host team? AGAIN, exactly what leverage do yall have? You certainly cant threaten to leave the classic. Also, if you didn't sign with ASC, they cant legally give you anything. Only two options exist. All of the money goes to AlaState or ASC gives the money back to the county.

So basically y'all doing all this this to get the same money next year that y'all could have got this year. What if ASC decides to only work with AlaState and only fund the game when ASU is the host team? AGAIN, exactly what leverage do yall have? You certainly cant threaten to leave the classic. Also, if you didn't sign with ASC, they cant legally give you anything. Only two options exist. All of the money goes to AlaState or ASC gives the money back to the county.

So basically y'all doing all this this to get the same money next year that y'all could have got this year.
We can negotiate for a better deal or change promoters for our home year. The option is ours.

What if ASC decides to only work with AlaState and only fund the game when ASU is the host team?
The reason we didn't sign the contract was to determine if we want to continue working with ASC. We can get a different promoter to handle it in our home year. They won't have any choice but to work only with Bama State. It is our option not to deal with them; it is not their option to not deal with us.

AGAIN, exactly what leverage do yall have? You certainly cant threaten to leave the classic.
We did have the leverage of leaving Birmingham until we signed the contract with the City. The potential of leaving was the reason we only wanted to sign a two-year agreement with the city. We signed for a six-year agreement only after a long talk with the city. Clearly the city addressed our concern and made promises sufficient for us to sign the six year agreement. Our option included moving our home game to Huntsville or some other venue.

Also, if you didn't sign with ASC, they cant legally give you anything.

We would not want anything from them. That's why we did not sign with them. It means they cannot make any money during our home year because they would have no authority to act on our behalf.

Only two options exist. All of the money goes to AlaState or ASC gives the money back to the county.

I doubt that Alabama State would get all of the money donated by the county. That money was donated to be split between A&M and State specifically, not donated to be distributed in ASC's discretion. The county was donating the money to help Birmingham keep the Classic.

Last edited:
The Alcorn vs JSU game didnt have a promoter 90% of the time. Its not like people go to the MCC for the game so Miles, Tuskegee etc.. would fill in just fine. As long as yall can tailgate and wear a new outfit, that is all that matters. Yall only have about 5K fans anyway.
TP,

Why are you so concerned about AAMU? Your school and the city of Jackson have their own issues. So we have as many fans as Jackson has crime and potholes? But that is another issue. AAMU has a permanent residence in your brain.

Just heard that the promoter didnt think this one out…. He had that “Im going to show AAMU” attitude…. And didnt realize that AAMU and ASU owns everything from a licensing standpoint. He couldnt print AAMU logo on anything without the schools permission…. NOW he wants to meet with AAMU…. I kept telling everyone the power is in THE SCHOOLS… Watch AAMU work… BOTH schools are going to end up getting more money.

Here's update from the Alabama A&M perspective. AAMU has created a task force to run game day ops and marketing for big games like Magic City Classic, Louis Crews Classic and Homecoming. This task force has the responsibility doing marketing and securing funds on behalf of Alabama A&M. Click the link inside the Tweet to read the full story.

View: https://twitter.com/MoCarterFOX54/status/1655950765557678092?s=20

@PBSwag77 @CEE DOG @2kool @Mr. SWAC @BulldogM.Ed.23 @DAHILL @Dog81 @dieharddawg @Normal1875 @PQUE @AAMU_DB1997 @STRAWDOG

So the ASC has been raking up while giving us pennies? Looks like our new AD and Pres. mean BUSINESS !!!
Correct. Until today, I had no idea that Alabama A&M and Alabama State didn't make any money off of Magic City Classic merchandise sales, the Pep Rally or the Parade which airs live on television throughout the state of Alabama and in parts of Georgia on gameday.

So the ASC has been raking up while giving us pennies? Looks like our new AD and Pres. mean BUSINESS !!!
Attack,

I brought this up a few months ago and was shock at some of the comments I received. We have been getting ripped off for years. I agree with you, props to the AD and Pres.

PS: The real beneficiaries are Hoovers and Pelhams etc. who get Magic City Classic business and don't chip in a dime to support. I am talking about restaurants, barbershops, hotels etc.

Back