Swac Football Classic in Birmingham

And how much has the city of Jackson profited from Jackson State events over the years?

The 2021 Fall season had an economic impact of 30 million. So asking for 1 million of the 30 is an issue?

Yes, that would be an issue. You don't understand the dynamics going on in the City of Jackson. There are dire infrastructure issues that need to be addressed way before funding football games. When you can't provide clean drinking water, you don't have the basic necessities for living.

"Jackson has longstanding, expensive-to-fix problems with its aging water system, and the EPA issued a notice this week that the system violates the federal Safe Drinking Water Act. The order directs the city to outline a plan to “correct the significant deficiencies identified” in an EPA report within 45 days."

"Jackson will request at least $42 million for short-term water system repairs as state legislators consider how to spend Mississippi’s share of federal money for infrastructure improvements and pandemic relief, said Justin Vicory, who works in communications for Jackson Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba."

This was just this week.

Plus, that 30 million is soft dollars "impact".... I am willing to bet if you really tracked the actual dollars spent in the "area" during a Jackson State game weekend, you will find out that the surrounding cities are getting a lot of that money. Most of the shopping areas are outside the city, many of the restaurants are outside of the city. Unless you are staying at the few high end hotels downtown, many people are probably staying in the surrounding cities. The 30 million is probably more likely generated in the "Metro Area".

Last edited:

I was wondering about that but each school will keep a rivalry game. So Alcorn stays on our schedule.
But I don't see how Southern and Grambling can be each other's rivalry game when the two are in the same division, and, by extension, are required to play each other. What if both Southern and Grambling designated JSU as its "rivalry game?"

If AAMU or Alabama State play Miles or Tuskegee at Legion Field. It will easily touch 40 k with no classic attached to it.

Also, Birmingham is home to plenty of HBCUs alums, so, the crowd will always come for a game.

If AAMU or Alabama State play Miles or Tuskegee at Legion Field. It will easily touch 40 k with no classic attached to it.

Also, Birmingham is home to plenty of HBCUs alums, so, the crowd will always come for a game.
I totally agree. I also think Valley and UAPB should get in on this. I mean let's be real if they played us in Bham they both could create a classic that neither school has. The problem is HBCUs refuse to think outside of the box. Instead of going to Mobile A&M and TU/Miles could alternate at Legion field and pack it out.

I totally agree. I also think Valley and UAPB should get in on this. I mean let's be real if they played us in Bham they both could create a classic that neither school has. The problem is HBCUs refuse to think outside of the box. Instead of going to Mobile A&M and TU/Miles could alternate at Legion field and pack it out.

We used to have more fan at Legion than UAB. Plus, they were giving out free tickets to the Blazers game.

Oh well, if the contracts have already been signed for the games, it's Baton Rouge and Jackson's loses and Birmingham's gain.
McCelland job is not to find money to impact the city of Jackson, Baton Rouge, or Praire View. It’s to grow revenues for his bosses, the University’s. Bottom line, in partnership with the SWAC, B-ham found a way to get their share of the Prime pie.

If our alums donated more, we wouldn’t need to have money games in football, basketball, baseball to fund womens soccer or tennis. Heck, I heard Deion say they forgoed staying at a hotel one weekend and used that money for new helmets.

McCelland job is not to find money to impact the city of Jackson, Baton Rouge, or Praire View. It’s to grow revenues for his bosses, the University’s. Bottom line, in partnership with the SWAC, B-ham found a way to get their share of the Prime pie.

If our alums donated more, we wouldn’t need to have money games in football, basketball, baseball to fund womens soccer or tennis. Heck, I heard Deion say they forgoed staying at a hotel one weekend and used that money for new helmets.

A simple twenty dollars a week from all alumnis would make a big difference. But, we don't have the mindframe to invest in our infrastructure. We would rather bitch and complain about what "Charlie" have on his campus.

That's not a bad idea. 2022 is the last year of the current contract for the MCC. I truly think that it should be revisited. If someone like Dr. McClelland could help Alabama A&M and Alabama State get additional sponsorships to earn more money then it would be great. According to current contract, Alabama A&M and Bama State will receive a payout of $400,000 each.

Somebody is fudging these potential numbers somewhere....

The problem is some schools will be permanent on each other schedules. The same way the SEC does it.

When it comes to East-West, the only schools that will be that way is the Mississippi schools.

Assuming the interest of JSU stays high going into 2022, UAPB plays in front of potentially 50-60K people AND getting a paycheck upwards to $1.5 million that would cost them very little to $0 (since this would be a non-conference game so no one loses a home game). It's a win win (although I still hate playing SWAC schools as OOC opponents for a number of reasons)

There will not be no where near 50K at that game for UAPB-JSU. I agree with the conference opponents as OOC games. Why can't we as a conference play some decent opponents for our OOC games. The Southland, OVC, WAC have plenty of vacancies to fill with their OOC schedule and are c=in close proximity of our schools so travel is not a problem.

I don't know why more schools don't do that. With the exception of homecoming and maybe a major home game, more schools could do this and save money.

JSU better enjoy this attention. Because, Coach Prime is leaving after Shedaur's eligibility is up.
Yeah, but so. He would have done his part. Bring hype to JSU and major spark to the entire HBCU Football Game is a big deal. The JSU job will be super attractive, and they will land another coach with a name. They will be fine. Any school should enjoy the Coach Prime ride while it last. JSU is enjoying this attention as they should be. I am happy for them.

We used to have more fan at Legion than UAB. Plus, they were giving out free tickets to the Blazers game.
I used to mess with a chick in Grambling who was from Birmingham. We used to share UAB and Tulane stories. Both have seen the same types of days. In New Orleans, some elementary schools use to give their 2nd & 3rd graders two Tulane tickets along with a Personal Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut for doing a book report. 😂

But I don't see how Southern and Grambling can be each other's rivalry game when the two are in the same division, and, by extension, are required to play each other. What if both Southern and Grambling designated JSU as its "rivalry game?"

🤔 Good point. Maybe that was thrown in because they put our main Eastern rival in the West. Looks like we have two dedicated OOC games with TnSt and Alcorn.

The SWAC has the product. Cities benefit without providing some long- term support for HBCUS located in their community. It is call supporting Black College Sports. Maybe other cities will start supporting our HBCUs. Long range planning is great. Glad to see this Commissioner with a vision. SWAC is generating funds that we can all use.

This thread's responses remind me of a dog chasing his tail.
HzVa.gif

You still missing the whole point. The game should just be rolled off then. Y'all black people just don't get it. The game wasn't going to be played. The conference should have just made y'all wait until two years to play each other.
Why wouldn’t we play the game. We couldn’t find a game OC that could come close.

So let me get this correct. We have a board full of college educated graduates saying that because SU and JSU ADs decided to make close to 3 million dollars a piece over two years with no responsibility, no game day cost, nothing but show up get a check and clear 3 million dollars a piece a bad business deal? Whew! Let me stop. This is unbelievable.

I used to mess with a chick in Grambling who was from Birmingham. We used to share UAB and Tulane stories. Both have seen the same types of days. In New Orleans, some elementary schools use to give their 2nd & 3rd graders two Tulane tickets along with a Personal Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut for doing a book report. 😂

I remember them bringing in Rudy Studdard to perform at a UAB game to boost attendance. We used to play two games a years at Legion Field, ( Labor Day and Steel City Classic) and we would still outdraw UAB.

So let me get this correct. We have a board full of college educated graduates saying that because SU and JSU ADs decided to make close to 3 million dollars a piece over two years with no responsibility, no game day cost, nothing but show up get a check and clear 3 million dollars a piece a bad business deal? Whew! Let me stop. This is unbelievable.

JSU and SU folks are really the only ones who opinions matter in this point of the debate. If both schools are fine with it, then everyone else just has to enjoy the show.

I just have a hiccup over the fact that they SWAC is not clearly telling everyone that this Classic isn’t a JSU Showcase. Yes, it is! So just say it! Why not? As much as I support Coach Prime and what is happening at JSU, I do think that if the SWAC is going draw off of Deion Sanders and JSU by using their name and fame for a 3 year Classic Deal, then they need to be getting the Lion’s share of the deal and some. Hell, just name it the Jackson State Challenge Game or the Coach Prime Classic! Man, JSU in a newly created Challenge for 3 years? Come on man. They are indeed the A side in all 3 games.

JSU and SU folks are really the only ones who opinions matter in this point of the debate. If both schools are fine with it, then everyone else just has to enjoy the show.

I just have a hiccup over the fact that they SWAC is not clearly telling everyone that this Classic isn’t a JSU Showcase. Yes, it is! So just say it! Why not? As much as I support Coach Prime and what is happening at JSU, I do think that if the SWAC is going draw off of Deion Sanders and JSU by using their name and fame for a 3 year Classic Deal, then they need to be getting the Lion’s share of the deal and some. Hell, just name it the Jackson State Challenge Game or the Coach Prime Classic! Man, JSU in a newly created Challenge for 3 years? Come on man. They are indeed the A side in all 3 games.

Did you miss the part where it said SU vs Bama St is also one of the matchups?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elLPCwuWj7M

"
If you know the history of Southern and Jackson State, that's a big rivalry," Robinson said. "For me, I think it's probably even bigger than the Alcorn rivalry when you start looking at butts in the seats and revenue, and things that happen around the game. So the AD (Banks) and I worked together to say, 'Hey, we can't go those two years without Southern and Jackson State playing.'"

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...ootball-swac-classic-next-3-years/9247517002/

Back