<MARQUEE>YOUR 2006 MEN & WOMEN SWAC BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!</MARQUEE>

It is the"S" on our chest that makes us the _ _ _ _!!! :lol: :emlaugh:

BEST!

:jump: :nod: :jump: :nod: :jump: :nod: :jump:

jeffersondance.gif

WE GOING DANCING!!!!!

Southern 57, Ark.-Pine Bluff 44

Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Southern University is making its first trip to the NCAA tournament in 16 years, thanks to a near-perfect second-half performance from forward Peter Cipriano.

Cipriano scored 21 points after hitting 5 of 5 from the floor in the second half to lead Southern (18-12) to a 57-44 victory over Arkansas Pine Bluff in the finals of the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament.

"Peter has been a very good player for us all year," said Southern's first-year coach Rob Spivery. "We wanted to go to him late because both of Arkansas-Pine Bluff's big guys were in foul trouble."

In the end, three Golden Lions (12-15) players had four fouls. Cipriano, meanwhile, helped the Jaguars extend a 25-17 halftime lead to as much as a 21-point lead in the second half by scoring inside in transition as well as on put-backs from his six offensive rebounds.

Cipriano hit 8 of 11 shots from the floor overall, but was perfect in the second half and hit all five free-throw attempts. Chris Alexander added 13 points for Southern, and Deforres Riley-Smith pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds, 10 of them on the defensive side.

"I thought our defense was outstanding," Spivery said. "We didn't shoot particularly well, but we played defense and rebounded extremely well. When you do those two things effectively, you'll usually have a chance to win."

The Jaguars held Arkansas-Pine Bluff to 27 percent shooting in the first half, 30 percent for the game, while limiting the Lions to just 3 of 12 from 3-point range.

"Southern played good defense, but the opportunities we missed weren't about the defense," said Arkansas-Pine Bluff coach Van Holt. "Several times we had open shots and just missed. When you miss easy shots against a team like Southern, it comes back to haunt you."

No Arkansas-Pine Bluff players scored in double figures. Timothy Hamilton led the Lions with nine points after connecting on 3 of 4 from behind the 3-point line, accounting for all three Lions 3-pointers.

The win marked the third SWAC tournament title for Spivery, who won the tournament in 2001 and 2004 as coach of Alabama State.

"It's a good feeling to be champions, and I'm glad our players have the opportunity to experience it," said Spivery. "The team responded very well to the changes this year, and they have earned this opportunity."

Congrats to Coach Spivery and the men and women Jags. Spivery did an outstanding job building his team. No doubt he deserves the SWAC coach of the year award.

J C said:
Congrats to Coach Spivery and the men and women Jags. Spivery did an outstanding job building his team. No doubt he deserves the SWAC coach of the year award.

BAMA STATE girls really impressed me.......i'm pretty sure they are one of the SWAC's best.

<marquee>SUperior University 2006 Swac Basketball champs </marquee>
Great Job Coach Spivey and Coach Pugh. The tradition has returned.

Congratulations Southern. Now go ahead and increase the SWAC's RPI in the tournament. Represent. Represent.

ToPdOg said:
This is the first time in history that the same school has won both the men's and women's basketball tournament in the same year. GO JAGS!!!!!!!!!
OnlySU can do something like this..:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

bluedog said:
There's no such thing.

How is there no such thing when DSU won it last year. It was just this year they messed over Grambling by having them share the football championship with Hampton. There is a clear MEAC bias with the award but these are the rankings going into the SWAC Tournament.

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-(3-5-2006-to-3-12-2006)
1. @Delaware State-#---(18-12)-(6)-93-----1--(MEAC Tournament)
2. %Southern-----------(17-12)-(4)-89-----2--(SWAC Tournament)
3. Alabama A & M-------(13-12)-----78-----8--(SWAC Tournament)
4. Grambling State-----(13-12)-----61-----5--(SWAC Tournament)
5. Tennessee State-----(13-15)-----56-----4--(Season Complete)
6. Bethune-Cookman-----(15-14)-----47-----3--(MEAC Tournament)
7. S. C. State---------(13-15)-----33-----10-(MEAC Tournament)
8. Jackson State-------(14-16)-----24-----7--(SWAC Tournament)
9. Florida A & M-------(14-16)-----15-----NR-(MEAC Tournament)
10. Hampton-------------(12-15)-----10-----6--(MEAC Tournament)

Dropped out Rankings: Arkansas-P. B.-(11-15)

Receiving Votes: Coppin State-(12-17)-9, Alabama State-(12-17)-8,
Norfolk State-(11-17)-5, Arkansas-P. B.-(11-15)-4,
Miss Valley State-(9-18)-1, Chicago State-(9-18)-1

PWR = Previous Weeks Ranking
1PV = 1st Place Votes

@= 2005-2006 MEAC Regular Season Champion
%= 2005-2006 SWAC Regular Season Champion
# = 2004-2005 - TSPN & 3C Black College Division I Basketball National Champion

Lord knows I wanted to go. I should have stayed. Did anyone record the Women's Game? I want this one. If you recorded a extra one feel free to send it over. :nod: :lol:

Go Jags!!!!!!!! Oh somebody on the selection commitee will make sure SU doesnt play LSU. I got a word from my mom that her friend works on the selection commitee and she said she will try her best to not let LSU play SU. :nod: :tup: Lets play Duke. :nod:

sujagbr said:
How is there no such thing when DSU won it last year. It was just this year they messed over Grambling by having them share the football championship with Hampton. There is a clear MEAC bias with the award but these are the rankings going into the SWAC Tournament.

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-(3-5-2006-to-3-12-2006)
1. @Delaware State-#---(18-12)-(6)-93-----1--(MEAC Tournament)
2. %Southern-----------(17-12)-(4)-89-----2--(SWAC Tournament)
3. Alabama A & M-------(13-12)-----78-----8--(SWAC Tournament)
4. Grambling State-----(13-12)-----61-----5--(SWAC Tournament)
5. Tennessee State-----(13-15)-----56-----4--(Season Complete)
6. Bethune-Cookman-----(15-14)-----47-----3--(MEAC Tournament)
7. S. C. State---------(13-15)-----33-----10-(MEAC Tournament)
8. Jackson State-------(14-16)-----24-----7--(SWAC Tournament)
9. Florida A & M-------(14-16)-----15-----NR-(MEAC Tournament)
10. Hampton-------------(12-15)-----10-----6--(MEAC Tournament)

Dropped out Rankings: Arkansas-P. B.-(11-15)

Receiving Votes: Coppin State-(12-17)-9, Alabama State-(12-17)-8,
Norfolk State-(11-17)-5, Arkansas-P. B.-(11-15)-4,
Miss Valley State-(9-18)-1, Chicago State-(9-18)-1

PWR = Previous Weeks Ranking
1PV = 1st Place Votes

@= 2005-2006 MEAC Regular Season Champion
%= 2005-2006 SWAC Regular Season Champion
# = 2004-2005 - TSPN & 3C Black College Division I Basketball National Champion

First of all what you're looking at isn't done done by a meac alum, it's actually done by one of our own Swac alum and fan.

Secondly it isn't recognize by the Ncca like the Football BCNC are and you won't find any such records on their books.

bluedog said:
First of all what you're looking at isn't done done by a meac alum, it's actually done by one of our own Swac alum and fan.

Secondly it isn't recognize by the Ncca like the Football BCNC are and you won't find any such records on their books.

I just think if we can use the same poll with saying ''we are the black national champions in football'', what would be the problem with basketball. Whether the NCAA recognizes it or not, if we are voted number 1 in that final poll, SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY will be the 2006 BLACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back