SuperBowl XL quirks

major095 said:
dude. I don't know what football you've been watching, but to fill you in.

after last season the nfl made a form of tackling illegal called horsecollaring. this type of tackle was popularized by roy williams, dallas cowboys safety. It was made illegal b/c he broke t.o.'s leg that way. he also put tyrone callico out for the season in a preseason game, and someone else that I can't remember. this type of tackle is done when a player is tackled from behind by placing your hand(s) inside of the back of their shoulder pads and then drag them down. joey porters tackle of shaun alexander was a perfect example of that type of tackle and occured right in front of the ref. it would have given seattle a 1st down deep in steeler territory. instead it was 3rd down and long and they threw a pick and were penalized for tackling the interceptor.

And I ask you again...

What should he have done?!?!? Just let Alexander go????

C'mon...at least answer that for me! :lol:

And thanks for the rule reminder...forgot all about that. :tup:

*waiting*

To answer that....No, don't let him go. He had to make the tackle, and the ref should have thrown the flag.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't know if it is a 10 or 15 yd penalty in the NFL. It has not been called much if at all this season. In college and High School it is not even called often, but it IS a penalty...technically.

That push-off is a push off any day. If you are watching your school against SU and and SU receiver did that you'd be on here saying the refs were cheating AGAINST you.

I STILL say I saw BROWN (the ball) even with the white line for Ben.

jag4life said:
I don't know if it is a 10 or 15 yd penalty in the NFL. It has not been called much if at all this season. In college and High School it is not even called often, but it IS a penalty...technically.

That push-off is a push off any day. If you are watching your school against SU and and SU receiver did that you'd be on here saying the refs were cheating AGAINST you.

I STILL say I saw BROWN (the ball) even with the white line for Ben.

I agree, even though I understand that it was extremely close and could've gone either way.

Regardless of personal opinions, there was still not enough indisputable evidence to overturn the call, so....:teleport:

Ntelekt said:
Regardless of personal opinions, there was still not enough indisputable evidence to overturn the call, so....:teleport:

That was the saving grace on that call.

What was the deal with Terry Bradshaw? I understand that Joe Montana refused to participate because he wanted an appearance fee of $100K.

SUPER BOWL XL NOTEBOOK
3-time MVP Montana turns down star-studded get-together
- Ira Miller, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, February 6, 2006

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.

Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

To sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

Full Story

cat daddy said:
What was the deal with Terry Bradshaw? I understand that Joe Montana refused to participate because he wanted an appearance fee of $100K.

This is a dayum shame! :shame:

Why does he think he is bigger than the game?! :xeye:

There were players there who've had BETTER superbowl performances than Montana, so I can't understand why he feels he should be heralded above everyone else! :rolleyes:

I can see if he was the ONLY Superbowl MVP asked to attend, but he wasn't!!! :mad:

I don't know what da hell is wrong with Terry Bradshaw...:smh: :retard:

Why is everybody complaining? The Steelers and the Seahawks both made mistakes but the Steelers were able to win. A win is a win! That's all that matters!

Ntelekt said:

There were players there who've had BETTER superbowl performances than Montana, so I can't understand why he feels he should be heralded above everyone else! :rolleyes:

I can see if he was the ONLY Superbowl MVP asked to attend, but he wasn't!!! :mad:

I wondered the same thing! I was looking for them to call Bradshaws name but he was never called. What's up with that?

Ntelekt said:

From what I read he wanted it to be guaranteed that he received $100K for each arranged speaking engagement... He wasn't asking that from the NFL itself. But STILL...he should have done it for the nostalgia.

buckwheat1911 said:
I wondered the same thing! I was looking for them to call Bradshaws name but he was never called. What's up with that?

The only thing I could find on Bradshaw was he stated he wanted to be home with his family.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...05,0,4885382.story?coll=ny-football-headlines

Now on one of the Fox Sports Radio shows, the guys mentioned that Bradshaw was in Detroit for the weekend so I don't know what the deal is. Could you imagine what would have happened had Bradshaw walked out with a Terrible Towel like Franco Harris? That place would have gone bannanas.

Why did ABC not show many graphics? They did not update how many yards were throw or run throughout the game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
cat daddy said:
Why did ABC not show many graphics? They did not update how many yards were throw or run throughout the game.

They damn sure didn't show the penalty breakdown.

That game was pathetic. I've seen NBA Finals decided by bad officating COUNTLESS times, but I have never and would never have imagined a Superbowl being decided by the refs.

I should've known it was predetermined for the Steelers after watching the 2-week long blow job given to Pittsburg on ESPN. :rolleyes:

J-State Tiger said:
I didnt know the NFL had hired SWAC refs to call the game. If I had known i coulda prepared myself. Why even play the games if you are just trying to make the steelers cover the spread? Just have a parade and dont even invite the Seahawks.

That's almost exactly what I remarked last night. Why even bother to play the damn game?

Why was Tom Brady there at all?

They used him to full the "TERRIBLE TOWELS".

Sh@T is looking rigged.

Re: Josh Moon's comments on Super Bowl flops..

"As it was, though, I was forced to sit through two hours of bad calls. I thought I was watching a SWAC game."

:lol:

Sad (and funny,) but true.

AAMU Alum said:
"As it was, though, I was forced to sit through two hours of bad calls. I thought I was watching a SWAC game."

That's why I posted this topic.

:sleep2: :sleep2: :sleep2: Oh. The SuperBowl isn't still on, :look: , I fell asleep. Moon's right. That sucked.

AAMU Alum said:

Well damn. :emlaugh: :lol:

The truth hurts. :)

That game sucked. Look like ref just handed it to the Steelers. I dont think SWAC refs are that bad.

Back