SuperBowl XL quirks

cat daddy said:
Man what game were you watching. I replayed on my DVR several times for those watching with me and you know if his foot would have hit the white before the cone, he would have appeared to have been tripping over something. His foot hit the cone is stride.

Look at the film again. I know what I saw.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Rothlesburger was not in for a td either. He had to pull the ball from under himself to get it across the goal line after he was down on the ground.

Dr. Freeze said:
Once again. His foot touched the sideline before he hit the cone.

No way his foot could hit the cone if he had stepped out of bounds first. He would have fallen over or stumbled out of bounds. His foot landed out of bounds after hitting the cone while he was in stride.

cat daddy said:
The cone in the picture is leaning because his right foot hit it.

No it is leaning because cones lean sometimes. If he had hit it in that picture it would be down by the time the pic was taken.

cat daddy said:
No way his foot could hit the cone if he had stepped out of bounds first. He would have fallen over or stumbled out of bounds. His foot landed out of bounds after hitting the cone while he was in stride.

Dude. I will say this one last time. Jackson's right foot touched the white of the sideline before he hit the pylon. Therefore the pass was incomplete.

Sure - it was the crosswind in Ford Field that caused the cone to lean mysteriously just when a Seattle player was going over it. :retard:

Lamont,
Those pylons fall very easily. Just running by them fast enough will knock them down sometimes. Sometimes I've seen pylons that won't even stay straight up no matter what you do.

Dr. Freeze said:
Jackson's foot touched the sideline before he kicked the pylon. He dragged his foot before it even touched. So the pass was not complete. Go watch the replay. You are reaching man.

Freeze I have to agree...the pylon is moved toward the inside...yet...if we had an angle on top...then we could see better if the ball broke the plain prior to the foot being out of bounds...

Folka said:
Bottom line, the Steelers did get about 5 or 6 questionable calls.

I agree, the Steelers did get the benefit of several close calls. The pass interference call on Jackson was weak at best, the Roethlisberger TD could have went either way. But in the end, part of being champions is responding to adversity, Seattle failed that test. In addition, I've never seen such horrid clock management in a big game. The playcalling kept going away from what was successful. The officiating wasn't a help, but it didn't cost Seattle the game either.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
several calls went against seattle. big ben didn't score on that run. clearly he had to pull it out from underneath him, short of the goal line. I figure they would score anyway so what does that one matter. It's hard to argue that jackson didn't push off. he did....and got caught. relative to what normally goes on should it have been called? I don't know. the play before hassleback threw the int was a shaun alexander run.....joey porter horsecollared him to the ground....in front of the ref. it should have been a flag and automatic 1st down. next play, 3rd and long, was the pick and the penalty for tackling the ball carrier? swac refs doing the super bowl? who woulda guessed. the incomplete touchdown pass. i thought his foot grazed the pylon and caused it to start leaning b/f he hit it w/ his other foot. imo should have been a touchdown and at the very least reviewed. b/c it was inside 2 minutes it had to come from upstairs and even w/ the steelers calling a timeout b/f seattle could run another play they still didn't review it.

major095 said:
several calls went against seattle. the play before hassleback threw the int was a shaun alexander run.....joey porter horsecollared him to the ground....in front of the ref. it should have been a flag and automatic 1st down. who woulda guessed. the incomplete touchdown pass. i thought his foot grazed the pylon and caused it to start leaning b/f he hit it w/ his other foot. imo should have been a touchdown and at the very least reviewed. b/c it was inside 2 minutes it had to come from upstairs and even w/ the steelers calling a timeout b/f seattle could run another play they still didn't review it.

I was wondering why they didn't throw a flag on that tackle, I called that one right when it happened. Even the replays show how he grabbed him by the collar of the shoulder pads from behind.

That play should have been reviewed also, I thought when the Steelers called the time out they where gonna look at it.

I'm not saying that Seattle would have won the game, but it seems like a lot of calls that were questionable came at crucial times for Seattle.

I didnt know the NFL had hired SWAC refs to call the game. If I had known i coulda prepared myself. Why even play the games if you are just trying to make the steelers cover the spread? Just have a parade and dont even invite the Seahawks.

CD, I agree with you. I DVR'D/TIVo'd Jackson's catch, and his foot did hit the pylon while in stride.

JST, so true.

Freeze, I know you said the score would've been 14-10, but with some of those blown calls, nobody knows how the game would've turned out, had some of those questionable calls not been called. What happens, if the phugged up pass interence call isn't called, and Seattle is up 7-0, instead of 3-0? What happens if Roesthlisberger isn't given the TD? Do the Steelers go for it in 4th down, or kick the fg? What happens if they fail either? Seattle is up 7-0, or the game is tied at 3-3, or 7-7, and the game is changed.

Then when you look at that phugged up holding call which nullified Seattle having 1st and goal at the 1, instead of 1st and 10 at the 42, Seattle is looking at going up 17-14, instead attempting another 50 yard FG. I know a lot of scenario's, but those phugged up calls changed the outcome of the game.

I ain't mad at the Steelers, but it's amazing how they all cried foul after those questionable calls the Colts recieved against them, but none of them seemed to care that the flags went their way last night.

Mike Lupica must've had a crystal ball, because on The Sports Reporters yesterday, in his closing remarks he said, he hoped the officials didn't have a hand in the outcome of the game, and I'd be dayumed if they didn't.

I do know though, if I'm a Seahawk player, I'd be whipping Jeremy Stevens' arse all the way back to Seattle. Dude dropped 3 drive killing passes that would've kept Seattle on the field, and dayum near dropped the TD he caught. We can blame the officials all we want but, Seattle dominated the game, and they blew it, key drops, bad time management, missed FG's, and they gave up 3 big plays on defense, all a recipe for a loss.

Congrats Steelers, and way to get that monkey off your back Bill Cowher.

NICE

jag4life said:
Is the ball really across the plane? You definitely can't see it here.

Also, he needed TWO feet in ANYWAY. Whether the ball is across the goaline or not, he needs to establish possession, and in the NFL, you need TWO feet inbounds to establish possession on a reception.

Cosign!

Y'all really need to give this argument up! :lol:

without two feet in, he never had posssession...:bump:

major095 said:
the play before hassleback threw the int was a shaun alexander run.....joey porter horsecollared him to the ground....in front of the ref. it should have been a flag and automatic 1st down.

And what would the call be??? :xeye:

He tackled the man...period! :smash:

he didn't grab a face mask...
he didn't hit him with his helmet...
He didn't use excessive force after contact...

All he did was grab the part of Alexander that he could, and he did it LEGALLY!

What? because he couldn't grab him around his waist, he should've let him go and gain another 15 yards or something!? :lmao:

In football, players are tackled from behind ALL THE TIME!
It's nothing new and it has always been allowed! :D

This was the first SuperBowl that I went in cheering for one team and came away wanting the other team to win. It certainly was not one of the best played SuperBowls I have seen. And The Refs were HORRIBLE. And here is why?

1. The Jackson push off. Hand play has always been allowed in the NFL by the receiver. I don't know how many times I saw Michael Irvin go out for a pattern and get a little space by using his hands. And if you noticed the defensive guy first initiated contact. If you are going to start being strict on offensive pass interference, Why start at the SuperBowl?

2. Ben's TD. The replay clearly shows the ball never reached the goal line.

3. Jackson's TD catch. The replay again clearly shows Jackson got the right foot in and the left foot hit the pylon while in stride. But my main gripe is that the play was never even reviewed. :upset:

4. The fathom holding call. When it seems like Seattle is about the get into the endzone after Stevens FINALLY makes a catch at the 1-yard line. Here come the refs again with a holding penalty on an offensive lineman who didn't take down the defender or grab the defender's jersey. Again if you are going to be strict on holding, then call it that way the entire game. Why wait until Seattle is about to score?

5. Hasselback's blocking below the waist. That one just made me :vomit: The QB makes the tackle and the Refs call blocking below the waist. :dizzy:

Everytime Seattle appeared to be ready to take hold of the game the Refs were there to say "Not so fast" I'm not saying the Seahawks would have won but if you are going to be bad Refs make bad calls on both teams.

Ntelekt said:

What? because he couldn't grab him around his waist, he should've let him go and gain another 15 yards or something!? :lmao:

It has always been allowed until this season. After the TO injury last year, a rule was adopted outlawing a tackle by grabbing the back of the shoulder pads around the neck (the so-called 'horse-collar' tackle). Some have even dubbed it the Roy Williams rule, since he is most associated with that type of tackle.

Ntelekt said:

dude. I don't know what football you've been watching, but to fill you in.

after last season the nfl made a form of tackling illegal called horsecollaring. this type of tackle was popularized by roy williams, dallas cowboys safety. It was made illegal b/c he broke t.o.'s leg that way. he also put tyrone callico out for the season in a preseason game, and someone else that I can't remember. this type of tackle is done when a player is tackled from behind by placing your hand(s) inside of the back of their shoulder pads and then drag them down. joey porters tackle of shaun alexander was a perfect example of that type of tackle and occured right in front of the ref. it would have given seattle a 1st down deep in steeler territory. instead it was 3rd down and long and they threw a pick and were penalized for tackling the interceptor.

Back