Roy Jones vs Mike Tyson? Nov 8, 2003

nevaehinvesting

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/boxing/news/2003/07/15/jones_kenya/

NAIROBI (Reuters) -- World Boxing Association heavyweight champion Roy Jones junior will defend his title in a stadium near Nairobi on November 8, promoters said.

Akbar Muhammad, senior vice-president for Roy Jones Enterprises, said negotiations were at an advanced stage with former undisputed world champion Mike Tyson the most probable challenger.

"We are holding negotiations with Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis but the most probable opponent for Roy Jones will be Tyson," Muhammad told a news conference.

Jones defeated John Ruiz last March to become only the second light-heavyweight champion in history to win a world heavyweight title.

"Roy Jones has given a commitment to defend his title in Nairobi on November 8 and he will be coming here on July 21 to show the world his commitment and to promote the fight but we have a month to confirm financial elements with multi-national corporations supposed to back the fight," said Muhammad.

He declined to disclose the total amount required to make the fight possible, only saying it was in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Officials said it would be the biggest fight in Africa since the Muhammad Ali-George Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle" heavyweight fight in Kinshasa in 1974.

The bout will be held at the 60,000-seater Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani, 15 km north of Nairobi.

If Tyson can't hit Roy consistantly due to Roy's speed, Tyson is going to have a long night. If Tyson can get through to Roy, it'll be a short night.

I say Roy Jones by decision if he doesn't get knocked out.

People tend to forget how fast Tyson is. His hand speed and power is unmatched. Tyson in no more than 3 rounds.

Originally posted by PsychoJag
People tend to forget how fast Tyson is. His hand speed and power is unmatched. Tyson in no more than 3 rounds.
People also tend to forget how shot Tyson is. This ain't 1990.

Tyson is liable to get DQ'd after getting so frustrated in the ring with Roy. He ain't the combo puncher that he used to be.

PsychoJag, I know you ain't just say that Tyson was faster than Roy. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: He ain't no Iron Mike no more. Roy will knock him the uckf out.

Mike Tyson is too old and too slow to compete with Jones. All Jones has to do is avoid getting hit with power shots and he should win a decision.

Nice of Jones to give Tyson this payday, though. Maybe Tyson can live in relative comfort these last 5-10 years of his life (at the rate he's going). :(

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
PsychoJag, I know you ain't just say that Tyson was faster than Roy. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: He ain't no Iron Mike no more. Roy will knock him the uckf out.

Read again! I did not say that Tyson was faster than Roy I said that his quick hand speed, and power is unmatched. Roy won't knock Tyson out :rolleyes: if he were to win it would be on points. Roy has never been hit like Tyson will hit him. 2 body shots from Tyson will slow Roy Jones, Jr. down the rest of the night. This is not Ruiz Tyson may not be the same Tyson from the 90's but he is still the best knockout puncher there is. Tyson will knock him out.

Have you ever noticed that after around 5 rounds, Tyson starts to get his arse kicked? He can't go the distance.

Have you ever noticed that after around 5 rounds, Tyson starts to get his arse kicked? He can't go the distance.

It all depends if he takes this fight serious enough to train hard. Who says Roy will go more than 1-3 rounds? I guarantee u that once Tyson gets a shot in on him (And it will happen) it will be the shock of his life. Roy is no Ali.

Originally posted by unknown1
I'll just say it's about time Roy Jones fought someone that is actually worth fighting.

Yeah but I think he's jumping in too deep. He's not ready for a Klitsko, Tyson, or Lewis. The best fight for him now is Holyfield or Chis Byrd.

I don't think Roy is ready for Tyson.....

I hope you people don't let Tysons age fool ya. Tyson STILL has his power. And Roy Jones Jr. is not as strong and powerful as Lennox Lewis. And Tyson is not slow either. One hit from Tyson and I promise you it'll slow Roy Jones Jr down and he'll be scared to move in close on Tyson. Roy better fight 3 or 4 more heavy weights before he try to fight a Tyson or Lewis. They are just too powerful for him. The only way I see Roy winning is if Tyson gets DQ'd other than that Tyson will knock him out. I can't believe people actually think Roy can knock Tyson out.lol. Hell Roy couldn't even knock Ruiz out!!

Re: I don't think Roy is ready for Tyson.....

Originally posted by BAYOU TECHE
I hope you people don't let Tysons age fool ya. Tyson STILL has his power. And Roy Jones Jr. is not as strong and powerful as Lennox Lewis. And Tyson is not slow either. One hit from Tyson and I promise you it'll slow Roy Jones Jr down and he'll be scared to move in close on Tyson. Roy better fight 3 or 4 more heavy weights before he try to fight a Tyson or Lewis. They are just too powerful for him. The only way I see Roy winning is if Tyson gets DQ'd other than that Tyson will knock him out. I can't believe people actually think Roy can knock Tyson out.lol. Hell Roy couldn't even knock Ruiz out!!

And let the church say AMEN!!!! Roy has never faced anyone that is half the fighter of a Tyson or Lewis. I think Chris Bryd would give him he11.

I know Roy is a tough fighter tho but.....

I just don't think he's ready for a TRUE heavy weight. I just think people would think it'd be a great match up because of the names involved Roy Jones Jr. vs. Mike Tyson. Yeah it'd be great for ratings and all. But people have to remember Roy Jones Jr. beat Ruiz, Ruiz is SLOW! Tyson is a lot quicker and faster and more powerful than Ruiz.

Now i think Tyson vs Chris Byrd or Klitsko(however you spell his name) would be a better fight. I just think Roy Jones Jr needs 3 or 4 more heavy weight bouts before he step into the ring with Tyson.

I wonder if Lennox Lewis is scared to fight Chris Byrd. Man Byrd has been callin Lewis out for awhile now. Now that's a fight I wanna see.

Re: I know Roy is a tough fighter tho but.....

Originally posted by BAYOU TECHE
I just don't think he's ready for a TRUE heavy weight. I just think people would think it'd be a great match up because of the names involved Roy Jones Jr. vs. Mike Tyson. Yeah it'd be great for ratings and all. But people have to remember Roy Jones Jr. beat Ruiz, Ruiz is SLOW! Tyson is a lot quicker and faster and more powerful than Ruiz.

Now i think Tyson vs Chris Byrd or Klitsko(however you spell his name) would be a better fight. I just think Roy Jones Jr needs 3 or 4 more heavy weight bouts before he step into the ring with Tyson.

I wonder if Lennox Lewis is scared to fight Chris Byrd. Man Byrd has been callin Lewis out for awhile now. Now that's a fight I wanna see.

No I don't think that Lewis is scared of him because Klitscko was whipping Byrd's azz before he quit because of his shoulder. I think he is trying to prove to everyone that he can beat Klitscko and that will prove to be his fatal mistake. I think that once Tyson beats Roy he will go after Byrd and if he wins he will try to unify the title against Lewis.

Jones in talks with Tyson, Lewis
MIAMI (AP) ? WBA heavyweight champion Roy Jones Jr. could fight either Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis later this year, but has not entered into a deal for any future bouts, his adviser said Tuesday.
Brad Jacobs, Jones' adviser, denied reports that circulated Tuesday saying Jones will fight Nov. 8 near Nairobi, Kenya, with Tyson as the probable opponent.

"We have been talking directly with Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis for prospective opponents for Roy's next fight," Jacobs said. "But as of yet, nothing is in stone."

Tyson's manager, Shelly Finkel, did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

Promoters in Nairobi announced Tuesday that Jones will defend his title at the 60,000-seat Moi International Stadium. But neither Jacobs nor Linda Padgett, Jones' personal assistant, said they were aware of that fight being finalized.

"There's nothing scheduled at this time, as far as I'm aware of," Padgett said.

Jones was traveling Tuesday and could not immediately be reached, Padgett said. He was not in Kenya, she added.

Jones (48-1) became the first man in over 100 years to make the climb from middleweight champion to the heavyweight title when he defeated John Ruiz earlier this year for the WBA crown.

Lewis, the WBC heavyweight champion, said earlier this month he was considering several options, including a matchup with Jones. But he is more likely to fight a December rematch with Vitali Klitshcko, who was beating Lewis last month when the fight was stopped after six rounds because of cuts.

Tyson hasn't fought since stopping Clifford Etienne in the first round in February.

Hmmph!!

This fight between Jones/Tyson better be on Showtime or HBO. I'm not paying to see Jones kick Tyson's arse! :smh:

Tyson better fight some no names and try to get his rematch with Lewis to get some real money. Then he can go back and fight Roy. Doing it this way will garuantee that he will never get the pay day he is looking for against Lewis.

Re: Hmmph!!

Originally posted by Mike
This fight between Jones/Tyson better be on Showtime or HBO. I'm not paying to see Jones kick Tyson's arse! :smh:

Tyson better fight some no names and try to get his rematch with Lewis to get some real money. Then he can go back and fight Roy. Doing it this way will garuantee that he will never get the pay day he is looking for against Lewis.

Jones won't last 3 rounds.:rolleyes: U people are killing me here!! Ya'll act like this man has experience as a heavyweight!!!! He beat a bum. smh

I want to see this fight. This may be the moment I've been waiting for. :)

The gods have blessed me.

LaMont

PsychoJag, you are sick if you think Tyson can be anything like he was in the past. You talk as if Tyson wasn't fighting bums in his hay day. If fact, he got knocked the UCKF OUT by a bum. A Buster. He doesn't have the discipline to train like he's supposed to. I want you to sit here and look at Tyson and tell me that he has the discipline to train effectively for RJ. And training for RJ is someone you have to train differently for.

Tyson has more power. Roy Jones has way more skill. SKILL:tup: over :tdown:pOWER.

Do any of you actually watch boxing?

Or do yall just listen to Sports radio and let Rome or some other has been tell you what to think. Yall here talking about Tyson like he has actually beat anybody in the last 10 years!

Mike Tyson is not the same as 1990 Mike Tyson. The man is not a boxer, and Roy Jones has skill, as well as quickness to handle Tyson. Jones at 200 is a great fit for Tyson at 220-225. Tyson is not a super heavyweight like Lewis or the Klitch bros, so this really isn't a mismatch. You saw how a skilled boxer handled Tyson when he fought Lewis, and when he fought Holyfield. Jones is just a much a student of the "sweet science" as those two and will punish Mike Tyson. He has speed, and he has enough power to keep Tyson at bay.

To me this still doesn't mean that Jones is fighting a legit opponent. Tyson is a name opponent, but not a real contender to any real boxer out there right now. But hey Jones fights whomever they put in front of him, and that is all he can do........

If this fight is done, I'll take a few bets.

PsychoJag, you are sick if you think Tyson can be anything like he was in the past. You talk as if Tyson wasn't fighting bums in his hay day. If fact, he got knocked the UCKF OUT by a bum. A Buster. He doesn't have the discipline to train like he's supposed to. I want you to sit here and look at Tyson and tell me that he has the discipline to train effectively for RJ. And training for RJ is someone you have to train differently for.

Tyson has more power. Roy Jones has way more skill. SKILL:tup: over :tdown:pOWER.

Read again!!! I did not in any way say that Tyson was the old Tyson. :rolleyes: The Tyson right now is still one of the most dangerous men in boxing and u can't deny that. Roy Jones, Jr. has only had one fight as a heavyweight it went the distance and it was against a bum that Mike Tyson would have knocked out. If I know anything I know boxing. The heavyweight divison is a joke because everyone is looking for the big payday instead of trying to unify the title. George Forman can come back and get 2 of the titles if he wanted too. If u look back Tyson has beaten some good fighters the same goes for Lewis. Roy hasn't really beaten anybody special during his career, he's never really been hit before. He doesn't have the weight of Tyson, Tyson will take his shots because Roy doesn't have a heavyweight punch, Tyson is quick and he still has his hand speed. I don't even see why Tyson would fight him except for financial reasons. And Buster Douglas was a legitimate heavyweight who had a nice punch.

Re: Do any of you actually watch boxing?

Originally posted by Suge
Or do yall just listen to Sports radio and let Rome or some other has been tell you what to think. Yall here talking about Tyson like he has actually beat anybody in the last 10 years!

Mike Tyson is not the same as 1990 Mike Tyson. The man is not a boxer, and Roy Jones has skill, as well as quickness to handle Tyson. Jones at 200 is a great fit for Tyson at 220-225. Tyson is not a super heavyweight like Lewis or the Klitch bros, so this really isn't a mismatch. You saw how a skilled boxer handled Tyson when he fought Lewis, and when he fought Holyfield. Jones is just a much a student of the "sweet science" as those two and will punish Mike Tyson. He has speed, and he has enough power to keep Tyson at bay.

To me this still doesn't mean that Jones is fighting a legit opponent. Tyson is a name opponent, but not a real contender to any real boxer out there right now. But hey Jones fights whomever they put in front of him, and that is all he can do........

If this fight is done, I'll take a few bets.

Name somebody that Roy fought in the past 10 years that was worth fighting!!!! The can be made for Roy because he has ducked alot of worthy opponents in his career. U say Tyson has no skill?? What are u smoking?? He has some of the best combinations that I have ever seen in a boxer. And I have alot of boxing tapes dating all the way back to Jack Dempsy and Joe Louis. Tyson's weight has been as much as 250 so he can gain the weight if that's what his trainer wants him to do. at 220 he's even more dangerous.

I think that this is smart for Tyson because when he knocks out Roy for the title. he should either fight Wladimer Klitscko or go after Chris Byrd for the other title setting up a unification bout with Lewis.

May 6 -- Ricky Randall, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
June 11 -- Stephan Johnson, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 8
Sep. 3 -- Ron Amundsen, Pensacola, Florida, KO 7
Nov. 30 -- Dave McCluskey, Pensacola, Florida, KO 3

Jan. 8 -- Joe Edens, Mobile, Alabama, KO 2
Feb. 28 -- Billy Mitchum, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2
Mar. 28 -- Knox Brown, Pensacola, Florida, KO 3
May 11 -- Ron Johnson, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
July 14 -- Tony Waddles, Pensacola, Florida, KO 1
Sep. 25 -- Rollin Williams, Pensacola, Florida, KO 4
Nov. 8 -- Reggie Miller, Pensacola, Florida, KO 5

Jan. 31 -- Ricky Stackhouse, Pensacola, Florida, KO 1
Apr. 13 -- Eddie Evans, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 3
Aug. 3 -- Kevin Daigle, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2
Aug. 31 -- Lester Yarbrough, Pensacola, Florida, KO 8

Jan. 10 -- Jorge Vaca, New York City, KO 1
Apr. 3 -- Art Serwano, Reno, Nevada, KO 1
June 30 -- Jorge Castro, Pensacola, Florida, W 10
Aug. 18 -- Glenn Thomas, Pensacola, Florida, KO 8
Dec. 5 -- Percy Harris, Atlantic City, New Jersey, KO 4

Feb. 13 -- Glenn Wolfe, Las Vegas, Nevada, KO 1
May 22 -- Bernard Hopkins, Washington D.C, W 12
(Captured IBF middleweight title)
Aug. 14 -- Thulane Malinga, St. Louis Bay, Mississippi, KO 6
Nov. 30 -- Fermin Chirino, Pensacola, Florida, W 10

Mar. 22 -- Daniel Garcia, Pensacola, Florida, KO 6
May 27 -- Thomas Tate, Las Vegas, Nevada, KO 2
(Retained IBF middleweight title)
Nov. 18 -- James Toney, Las Vegas, Nevada, W 12
(Captured IBF super middleweight title)

Mar. 18 -- Antoine Byrd, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 1
(Retained IBF super middleweight title)
June 24 -- Vinny Pazienza, Atlantic City, New Jersey, TKO 6
Sep. 30 -- Tony Thornton, Pensacola, Florida, TKO 2

Jan. 12 -- Merqui Sosa, New York City, TKO 2
June 15 -- Eric Lucas, Jacksonville, Florida, KO 11
Oct. 4 -- Bryant Brannon, New York City, KO 2
Nov. 22 -- Mike McCallum, Tampa, Florida, W 12
(Won interim WBC light heavyweight title)

Mar. 21 -- Montell Griffin, Atlantic City, New Jersey, L DQ 9
(Lost WBC light heavyweight title)
Aug. 21 -- Montell Griffin, Ledyard, Connecticut, KO 1
(Regained WBC light heavyweight title)

Apr. 25 -- Virgil Hill, Biloxi,Mississippi, KO 4
July 18 -- Lou Del Valle, New York, W 12
(Unified WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)
Nov. 14 -- Otis Grant, Mashantucket, Connecticut, TKO 10
(Retained WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)

Jan. 9 -- Rick Frazier, Pensacola, Florida, KO 2
(Retained WBC and WBA light heavyweight titles)
June 5 -- Reggie Johnson, Biloxi, Mississippi, W 12
(Unifies WBA-WBC-IBF light heavyweight titles)

Jan. 15 -- David Telesco, New York City, W 12
(Retained unified light heavyweight title)
May 13 -- Richard Hall, Indianapolis, Indiana, TKO 11
Sept. 9 -- Eric Harding, New Orleans, Louisiana, TKO 10

Feb. 24 -- Derrick Harmon, Tampa, Florida, TKO 10
July 28 -- Julio Gonzalez, Los Angeles, California, W 12

Feb. 2 -- Glenn Kelly, Miami, Florida, TKO 7
Sept. 7 -- Clinton Woods, Portland, Oregon, TKO 6

March 1 -- John Ruiz, Las Vegas, Nevada, W 12
(Captured WBA heavyweight title)

I only see two legit opponents. Where are the real fights? He ducks true fighters.

:rolleyes:

Back