Position Battles for 2015 Fall Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They have 3, but we need to see who can run Spady'a version of it.

I can tell you now... NONE of them. It's AAMU. You can't forget history bruh. When has AAMU ever had a QB that could run anything? lol AAMU needs to return to an option attack. I would be scared of them then...

When has AAMU ever had a QB that could run anything?

Leachman says "wuddup"

17_Chris_Leachman.jpg

Man, we know PV offense will have any issue at all unless Simmons just decides to change everything. Offense I expect PV to be really good unless the kids don't pick up on the new terminology from their new coaches. But I highly doubt that Simmons messes that offense up. He may make it more balanced which will keep your defense off the field.
That offense does not exist anymore. The OC is in Alabama so you have no idea what it will look like. It will probably run more like Alcorn and that's if all the players are eligible to hit the field this year..... I think they will be fine but Orlando had them on another level and that will be hard to duplicate in a new system...

I can tell you now... NONE of them. It's AAMU. You can't forget history bruh. When has AAMU ever had a QB that could run anything? lol AAMU needs to return to an option attack. I would be scared of them then...

Lol. All man.

I am telling ya dude, May could be good. Check out his style, you can tell that he studied RGIII's game when he played high school ball in Texas before transferring.

I went to a Biloxi vs D'Iberville game while on business and saw him with my own eyes. The kid moves just like RGIII. He is just small and could get splattered if he doesn't put on some division I weight.

I am picking him to win the Bulldog QB battle, but Ballard might be the better option for AAMU because of his battle tested body and abilities to make something out of a busted play.

Cool. Ballard has great awareness, but May has the best overall tools. If he goes with Ballard, Lui-Yuen is going to most likely transfer because he won't beat out May for the 2nd man.

Based upon film, it seems that the Garrett kid has more upside than the rest. How that transfers to a college field is yet to be seen. Lui-Yuen is most likely the odd-man out unless he really shows something in fall practice.

Lol. All man.

I am telling ya dude, May could be good. Check out his style, you can tell that he studied RGIII's game when he played high school ball in Texas before transferring.

I went to a Biloxi vs D'Iberville game while on business and saw him with my own eyes. The kid moves just like RGIII. He is just small and could get splattered if he doesn't put on some division I weight.

I am picking him to win the Bulldog QB battle, but Ballard might be the better option for AAMU because of his battle tested body and abilities to make something out of a busted play.

You are scaring TP.

Based upon film, it seems that the Garrett kid has more upside than the rest. How that transfers to a college field is yet to be seen. Lui-Yuen is most likely the odd-man out unless he really shows something in fall practice.

If Garrett does well in camp, I wouldn't be surprised if Lui-Yuen switches positions or transfers.

TP also admitted he doesn't know anything about football.

Which is why he will be Non-Sports Guy to me. Can't have any type of discussion with anyone if you admitted you don't know anything about football

At least he admits it. There are a few more of them that could be added to the list

Chris Leachman lit your soggy defense up. Wanna know why? Our coaching staff knows how to adjust to the talent they have instead of doing stupid ish like making 4-3 personnel run the 3-4
mjlol.png

Lui-Yuen has height on his side, but his running ability is questionable. He *might* be a darkhorse for 2nd string, but it's a long shot. Unless he shocks the world in fall camp.

The thing about Spady...he's not gonna play favorites like Jones did. He's gonna go with who he thinks is the best option.
Lui-Yuen has great pocket presence from what I can tell, and has deceptive speed. He's not going to take it the distance, but can pick up the 1st down with his size and frame. He's faster than Jaymason Lee was. In a pro-style or run-n-shoot offense, I admit, he is better suited for.

We'll have to wait a few more days to see how they all adjust to the speed of the game. This will definitely be a good position battle to watch.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Lui-Yuen is going to most likely transfer because he won't beat out May for the 2nd man.
I'm not so sure of that just yet. Coach Spady has said since stepping foot on the Hill that he will play two QBs, and I see nothing different in his philosophy this year as all QBs vying for playing time need experience. We were close to burning Mays red-shirt last year when Jaymason Lee went down mid-season. Luckily for us, he was courageous enough to play on a torn ACL the rest of the season. The two backups we had didn't belong in D1. I expect all 3 QBs to see playing time this year. P.J. Garret is my dark horse, but I'd love to see him get a year learning the system, but he is the prototypical QB you want running the pistol. Very similar frame to Kolin Kaepernick's.

Which is why he will be Non-Sports Guy to me. Can't have any type of discussion with anyone if you admitted you don't know anything about football

At least he admits it. There are a few more of them that could be added to the list

I think TP goes to the Blue People forum and ask pop33 to write his football posts for him. Pop33 "ghost writes" for him.

Drake and Meek Mill send help fast! lol

I'm not so sure of that just yet. Coach Spady has said since stepping foot on the Hill that he will play two QBs, and I see nothing different in his philosophy this year as all QBs vying for playing time need experience. We were close to burning Mays red-shirt last year when Jaymason Lee went down mid-season. Luckily for us, he was courageous enough to play on a torn ACL the rest of the season. The two backups we had didn't belong in D1. I expect all 3 QBs to see playing time this year. P.J. Garret is my dark horse, but I'd love to see him get a year learning the system, but he is the prototypical QB you want running the pistol. Very similar frame to Kolin Kaepernick's.

I am not on the Bulldog coaching staff, but if Spady does that, then AAMU is in for a very long losing season. With the guys y'all have at QB combined with your system, most of the plays and second halfgame plans would be given away before and during the game. All of those guys have different intangibles the will getpicked up out of the pistol.

Yuen has good pocket presence, but showed in high school that he isn't good when the heat is on him. His Tebow delivery needs work as well.

I am not on the Bulldog coaching staff, but if Spady does that, then AAMU is in for a very long losing season. With the guys y'all have at QB combined with your system, most of the plays and second halfgame plans would be given away before and during the game. All of those guys have different intangibles the will getpicked up out of the pistol.

Yuen has good pocket presence, but showed in high school that he isn't good when the heat is on him. His Tebow delivery needs work as well.

Spady won't be flip-flopping. He'll likely play 2 or 3 in the first couple games to find a long-term starter, but he'll settle into one as the season progresses.

It's not the same as a 1(a) & 1(b) situation. It's about getting both QBs game time experience. I think you have to be smart about it though. You can't disrupt the flow of the offense, and early last season Spady did that IMO. He got better with his decision making as the season went on, but it also had a noticeable advantage that we benefited from, i.e. JSU game. Against UAB our starter got knocked out of the game (AAMU up 7-0 1st Qtr), and our backup QB came in and threw a 57-yard TD pass at the start of the 2nd Qtr to put us up 14-0. This was the 3rd game of the season, and the backup QB got playing time in the previous 2 games as well. Does he make the play @UAB (FBS opponent) without the previous game experiences???? Difficult to say. Does Leachman look like Tom Brady against JSU without those previous game experiences???? My bet is hell no.

Don't read into what I said and think we don't/won't have a QB. lol. In our system the QB will have to be a running threat as well. The QB will likely get banged up. You don't want to throw in a wet-behind-the-ears QBs in high pressure situations when the game is on the line if they've never taken any meaningful snaps.

I think Spady has learned from last year, and will tailor his approach to use 2 QBs in a game for situational purposes. Last year he would switch them out between drives. This year he is saying on 3rd down the backup will come in. I take that as not every 3rd down, rather, 3rd down plays where running the QB is more likely to happen. That way you minimize injuries to the starter, and also get both QBs playing time. Both May and Ballard are athletic, fast QBs.

Well, I am good with either May or Ballard. I felt Spady and Totten did wonders with J. Lee last season (compared to where he was at before the season). May & Ballard are way more talented than Lee. In my Kendrick Lamar voice, "We gonna be alright," on offense at least.

Spady won't be flip-flopping. He'll likely play 2 or 3 in the first couple games to find a long-term starter, but he'll settle into one as the season progresses.

I know Spady very well, and I just don't see him flip flopping QB's

It's not the same as a 1(a) & 1(b) situation. It's about getting both QBs game time experience. I think you have to be smart about it though. You can't disrupt the flow of the offense, and early last season Spady did that IMO. He got better with his decision making as the season went on, but it also had a noticeable advantage that we benefited from, i.e. JSU game. Against UAB our starter got knocked out of the game (AAMU up 7-0 1st Qtr), and our backup QB came in and threw a 57-yard TD pass at the start of the 2nd Qtr to put us up 14-0. This was the 3rd game of the season, and the backup QB got playing time in the previous 2 games as well. Does he make the play @UAB (FBS opponent) without the previous game experiences???? Difficult to say. Does Leachman look like Tom Brady against JSU without those previous game experiences???? My bet is hell no.

Don't read into what I said and think we don't/won't have a QB. lol. In our system the QB will have to be a running threat as well. The QB will likely get banged up. You don't want to throw in a wet-behind-the-ears QBs in high pressure situations when the game is on the line if they've never taken any meaningful snaps.

I think Spady has learned from last year, and will tailor his approach to use 2 QBs in a game for situational purposes. Last year he would switch them out between drives. This year he is saying on 3rd down the backup will come in. I take that as not every 3rd down, rather, 3rd down plays where running the QB is more likely to happen. That way you minimize injuries to the starter, and also get both QBs playing time. Both May and Ballard are athletic, fast QBs.

Good points here. Both have speed, but May is much faster and ran the pistol as two different high schools. May throws a much better ball than Ballard as well. However, Ballard is more battle tested and conditioned to take hits from division I defensive guys. After watching his JUCO flim, his field awareness seems awesome.

I know Spady very well, and I just don't see him flip flopping QB's

Good points here. Both have speed, but May is much faster and ran the pistol as two different high schools. May throws a much better ball than Ballard as well. However, Ballard is more battle tested and conditioned to take hits from division I defensive guys. After watching his JUCO flim, his field awareness seems awesome.

I saw Ballard in action in the JUCO ranks as well. As you pointed out, he really doesn't throw a pretty ball, but he might be what they need this season. He is physically and mentally tough due his experience. I think AAMU will be able to move the ball and get back to there tough/disciplined football ways. I think Alcorn has everyone in the East stepping their game up as far as recruiting. JSU had a good transfer class and Valley's has added some much needed depth with speed and talent. I am starting to think that no Saturday will be a gift.

This AAMU QB competition is one to the most interesting battles in the FCS. JUCO-JR experience & will vs. RS-Freshman raw talent & skill. This is the Ohio State QB competition of the HBCU's. It would be a shame if one of them wins the job but struggles in their first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back