It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges - Jemele Hill OCTOBER 2019 ISSUE

Not trying to derail the thread but it is not just parents of athletes. I personally know three people (Black) who were as happy as could be to send their daughters to Baylor...even after the rapes and rape allegations. One was my first cousin's daughter. Even knowing their history and current situation they were still as happy as a ****y in a ***k tree to send their daughters to Baylor.

Now, having said that. I agree with you.

I see what you're saying Herbert, but does sending your daughter to Baylor means she's gonna get raped? Girls are raped at numerous schools every year by students/athletes......it just goes un-reported. NOT sending them to Baylor doesn't mean it's not gonna happen to them.

Not going to happen. The kids today are about being on tv, and under the table deals. Some of the parents are getting paid also and are brainwashed that the white mans ice is colder.

I agree with you to extent. Definitely some parents out there who are brainwashed nod doubt. But as the parent of a recent recruit who got ONE offer from an HBCU after we reached out to several, sometimes those big schools are the only other offers you get and if they'll pay for school/education, then hey........sometimes you roll with it. Plenty of players are choosing for different reasons, but I do agree, some of "us" (not me) think it's just better "over there".

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I agree with you to extent. Definitely some parents out there who are brainwashed nod doubt. But as the parent of a recent recruit who got ONE offer from an HBCU after we reached out to several, sometimes those big schools are the only other offers you get and if they'll pay for school/education, then hey........sometimes you roll with it. Plenty of players are choosing for different reasons, but I do agree, some of "us" (not me) think it's just better "over there".

This is true. To me it's about tuition. My son is a junior and is getting recruited...to me it is about tuition.

I won't say it's a great article, but it was a good read. I think the article certainly served its purpose - continuing the conversation regarding black athletes at predominately white institutions (and the corresponding decline of the HBCU athletic product).

Ok, we have identified the problem and the conversation continues. What is the solution? How does the HBCU become attractive to the high profile African American Athlete? I see no plan out there to stop the trend. If Dylan Moses was not injured, the 2 starting middle line backers for Bama would be from Baton Rouge. This is not a knock on Southern or LSU, it is a trend that has steam rolled America. Plus, they have Chris Allen from Southern Lab on the team.

On another note for the first time AAMU has 4 players on the team from Tuscaloosa. Until Coach Maynor came, the high school coaches told me that AAMU did not recruit this area heavy. However, the players ended up at UNA, West Alabama, Jacksonville State etc. Miles and Jackson State got a few, but never AAMU. In essence, our coaches have got to recruit these players. Also, our recruiting in Mobile has picked since we are playing games in Mobile (at one time we had Mobile on lock).

Ok, we have identified the problem and the conversation continues. What is the solution? How does the HBCU become attractive to the high profile African American Athlete? I see no plan out there to stop the trend. If Dylan Moses was not injured, the 2 starting middle line backers for Bama would be from Baton Rouge. This is not a knock on Southern or LSU, it is a trend that has steam rolled America. Plus, they have Chris Allen from Southern Lab on the team.

On another note for the first time AAMU has 4 players on the team from Tuscaloosa. Until Coach Maynor came, the high school coaches told me that AAMU did not recruit this area heavy. However, the players ended up at UNA, West Alabama, Jacksonville State etc. Miles and Jackson State got a few, but never AAMU. In essence, our coaches have got to recruit these players. Also, our recruiting in Mobile has picked since we are playing games in Mobile (at one time we had Mobile on lock).

I see no plan to stop the trend anytime soon either but I agree, somehow it's got to start with recruiting. What is your goal, NFL? Just play college football and get your degree? Perhaps recruit these kids with the opportunity to play right away or sooner than they would at Bama, etc. Instead of sitting behind a guy for 2-3 years before seeing the field. Maybe have these recruiters arm themselves with the stats of how many kids go to Big State U and sit for years and never see the field and never get a shot to capture that dream.
I don't know. BUT, it's gonna be hard either way..........because for now we just can't match the facilities and whole lotta other intangibles that go with it. I've said this before on other threads........the days of going to J-State, Southern, Grambling, etc based on the pride of going to an HBCU doesn't exist with these kids the way it did back in the 80's, 70's and so on. It's a different type of kid growing up in a different type of environment. I wish it would happen but it would be VERY hard to reverse the trend.

I see what you're saying Herbert, but does sending your daughter to Baylor means she's gonna get raped? Girls are raped at numerous schools every year by students/athletes......it just goes un-reported. NOT sending them to Baylor doesn't mean it's not gonna happen to them.
SMH

Instead of SMH. Explain yourself. I did. Isn't this forum for opinions and conversations? Geez.
I get tired of explaining and re-explaining over and over again the things that should be obvious. If sTu had the rep Baylor has for rapes...killing basketball players and the murder being covered up by the basketball coach and all of the untold garbage that goes on at those PWIs people would shun sTu like it had a plague. One person has already said how some alums are perpetually pissed with our HBCUs because they had to stand in line for financial aid or their graduation was delayed because they (the individual) did not keep up with their hours toward graduation. But you come in here making excuses for Baylor (i.e. rapes happen everywhere...they are just not reported). That is the epitome of a cop out. I mentioned Baylor and the baggage attached to their name that is ignored by us and you run to the rescue. SMH!

I am torn about this. Let me offer a couple of anecdotes. I have a student who is a senior, African-American of course. She is one of the top track athletes in the country w offers to most any program she wants. She was telling me about some of the programs she was thinking about. I threw out NCA&T & bama state since bama state wins the swac every year and A&T was nationally ranked. She said she wanted to go to a top ranked program. I asked her where the school we were talking about was ranked and they were top 25. I dropped on her that A&T was #6 at that moment...ahead of the school she was considering. Crickets...no, response worth remembering, because it didn't matter. They were flatly rejected despite satisfying the criteria she set forth.
With my son, we missed the scholarship deadline for the big scholarships at A&T. Went on the visit, son loved it, but the money didn't work out and it was cheaper for him to stay home and go to clemson rather than pay 25k after the scholarship they gave him. So he's a freshman at clemson now. It pained me to send him there despite their top 25 public universities ranking b/c as I read this summer, their current sophomore class only had 98 black men in it. When you take away the athletes that left precious few black men who are just scholars that want to get an education. At A&T the statue celebrates black students that stood up against oppression. At Clemson the statue is of the founder, an avowed racist and slave owner. In order to create an inclusive environment for black students at these universities they need more black students, but that intrudes on the space occupied by hbcus.

Last edited:
This whole conversation is centered around the desires and wants of HBCU stakeholders instead of what’s best for the athletes.

This is not to say that black schools aren’t good options or shouldn’t be considered. They’re damn good ones. But we’d be fooling ourselves if we fail to admit the demand that the best black athletes attend HBCUs isn’t one that’s driven by the understanding that these kids are commodities who can be used to enrich institutions.

We’re not even just talking about black athletes attending HBCUs. If we were this discussion isn’t happening because all of our HBCU teams are overwhelmingly black.

But we’re talking a certain kind or class of black athlete needing to attend HBCUs, which is why this conversation keeps happening.

So yes, HBCUs would love to exploit their talents for whatever financial windfall that can be gained (hell every school exploits these kids because everyone is making money off them except the athlete themselves), because at the end of the day colleges and athletics are businesses. And we often talk about all the components that come along with that.

I don’t totally disagree. At the same time, would you rather be used by one institution that makes it clear that they see you only as a money maker and nothing else. And if you fail to perform you’ll be tossed aside like a used tissue. Or would you rather be used by an institution that wants to make money off of you but makes it clear that they care about more than just your athletic ability. That they actually see you as a person.

Last edited:
I personally think our community was better off in many ways before integration. Up until 1970 the African American community had the lowest single parent home percentage in America.... Yes one would be crazy to deny the advances we made with integration, but one would also be crazy not to see how integration made the black community and family hungry for white gold and empty promises of a false American dream.

I don’t totally disagree. At the same time, would you rather be used by one institution that makes it clear that they see you only as a money maker and nothing else. And if you fail to perform you’ll be tossed aside like a used tissue. Or would you rather be used by an institution that wants to make money off of you but makes it clear that they care about more than just your athletic ability. That they actually see you as a person.

You honestly think this discussion about the top black athletes needing to go to HBCUs is because schools and fans would see them as people and not how much money can be made off them? LOL. We only want them — and pissed they’re going to white schools instead of black colleges — because they’re really good at sports, not because we care all that much about their humanity.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I get tired of explaining and re-explaining over and over again the things that should be obvious. If sTu had the rep Baylor has for rapes...killing basketball players and the murder being covered up by the basketball coach and all of the untold garbage that goes on at those PWIs people would shun sTu like it had a plague. One person has already said how some alums are perpetually pissed with our HBCUs because they had to stand in line for financial aid or their graduation was delayed because they (the individual) did not keep up with their hours toward graduation. But you come in here making excuses for Baylor (i.e. rapes happen everywhere...they are just not reported). That is the epitome of a cop out. I mentioned Baylor and the baggage attached to their name that is ignored by us and you run to the rescue. SMH!
So you’re telling me rapes don’t happen all over the country?? That’s flat out ridiculous Hubert. And what the hell the financial aid lines have to do with my reponse to your post about rapes at Baylor. Stay on topic.

Last edited:
I see no plan to stop the trend anytime soon either but I agree, somehow it's got to start with recruiting. What is your goal, NFL? Just play college football and get your degree? Perhaps recruit these kids with the opportunity to play right away or sooner than they would at Bama, etc. Instead of sitting behind a guy for 2-3 years before seeing the field. Maybe have these recruiters arm themselves with the stats of how many kids go to Big State U and sit for years and never see the field and never get a shot to capture that dream.
I don't know. BUT, it's gonna be hard either way..........because for now we just can't match the facilities and whole lotta other intangibles that go with it. I've said this before on other threads........the days of going to J-State, Southern, Grambling, etc based on the pride of going to an HBCU doesn't exist with these kids the way it did back in the 80's, 70's and so on. It's a different type of kid growing up in a different type of environment. I wish it would happen but it would be VERY hard to reverse the trend.

What @Dog81 asked is the tough question that there is no easy answer to. What I can say that many people may not be aware of is some coaches are recruiting great players and are just getting turned down. Intellectually, the coaches know the probability of actually landing some student athletes are low but also understand if it doesn't work out, the kid may ultimately give us a shot. The last couple of years I have been looking at football recruiting particularly at S.U. closer and one would be surprised at how hard those coaches work at the very least, to give prospective high caliber athletes the option of playing for us. The issue is layered and our schools have to figure out the answer to beating out G-5 and lower competition consistently nowadays before we can even think about endeavoring to make an effective run at P-5 athletes. The ask is slanted and would tempt the devil himself (materialism in different forms vs. racial commitment to our institutions). As @CEE DOG brought out, there have been pros and cons to desegregation and upper echelon athletes at HBCU(s) is one of many of those cons.

You honestly think this discussion about the top black athletes needing to go to HBCUs is because schools and fans would see them as people and not how much money can be made off them? LOL. We only want them — and pissed they’re going to white schools instead of black colleges — because they’re really good at sports, not because we care all that much about their humanity.
Post which HBCU fans use racist insults only towards their Black players when they don't have a winning season. Once you finish that, post the white institutions that do the same thing.
The bible says, "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh".

Post which HBCU fans use racist insults only towards their Black players when they don't have a winning season. Once you finish that, post the white institutions that do the same thing.
The bible says, "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh".

I can show you the posts of HBCU fans who compare to young black men and their families to slaves because they decided to attend an PWI. A lot of y’all are really no different in mentality than white fans at PWIs when it comes the possessiveness of black athletes.

I can show you the posts of HBCU fans who compare to young black men and their families to slaves because they decided to attend an PWI. A lot of y’all are really no different in mentality than white fans at PWIs when it comes the possessiveness of black athletes.
Every school wants to win, so that's not the issue. The issue is with the psychological aspects of racism.
You're comparing an attitude of winning with something completely and massively different. It's called white supremacy. Are you going to completely ignore that elephant?

Nobody really wants to admit this but it's all it is. If these kids were one stars no one would care about getting them to attend. It's all about winning be it black school or white school, period.

Nobody really wants to admit this but it's all it is. If these kids were one stars no one would care about getting them to attend. It's all about winning be it black school or white school, period.
That's quite a short-sighted statement. You don't seem to understand the totality of the situation and history as well.

Back