It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges - Jemele Hill OCTOBER 2019 ISSUE

BraveMan97

"black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players. black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players. "

"Some people point to September 12, 1970, as the day HBCUs lost their corner on the nation’s best black football talent. That’s the day an all-white Alabama team got their asses handed to them by the University of Southern California’s heralded African American triumvirate of quarterback Jimmy Jones and running backs Sam “Bam” Cunningham and Clarence Davis. After that, football programs in the Deep South realized that if they were going to stay competitive, they would have to recruit black players. (In other areas of the country, colleges had already begun to recruit African Americans: The Michigan State team that fought Notre Dame to a 10–10 draw in the fall of 1966—a contest that many still consider to be the best college football game of all time—had 20 black players.) "

-----------------------------

There is an ESPN 30 for 30 about this game.

Alabama's stadium was/is in a predominately black neighborhood and black people were not allowed to attend the games.

Well when all these black athletes showed up from USC....the black people thought it Grambling State....one of the black said, "Who in hell is Alabama playing, Grambling?"

"The flight of black athletes to majority-white colleges has been devastating to HBCUs. Consider Grambling State, in Louisiana, home of arguably the most storied football program in HBCU history. A 57 percent decrease in state funding over a period of several years had made it difficult for Grambling to maintain its football facilities. In 2013, things got so bad that players—fed up with the school’s dilapidated facilities and the long bus trips to road games, as well as the firing of the coach—staged a boycott that led to them forfeiting a game. Though the walkout prompted Grambling to spend $30,000 on a new weight room, and it has since raised nearly $2 million for upgrades to its Eddie Robinson Stadium, the ordeal was embarrassing for the university."

-----------------------------------

GOSPEL!!!!

Doug Williams said it best, "they (white colleges) didn't and don't want to play us when we are good."

More importantly FUNDING is a killer.

Also let me add...what she didn't say.

PARENTS!!!!! and racist coaches.

You have parents that don't give a shit about HBCUs. They love to see their son at a white college along with his white girlfriend to make some "cute" mixed grandchildren....

Then the racist coaches who proclaim to "care" about the black players discard the recruitment letters from HBCUs.

Also let me add...what she didn't say.

PARENTS!!!!! and racist coaches.

You have parents that don't give a shit about HBCUs. They love to see their son at a white college along with his white girlfriend to make some "cute" mixed grandchildren....

Then the racist coaches who proclaim to "care" about the black players discard the recruitment letters from HBCUs.
Not trying to derail the thread but it is not just parents of athletes. I personally know three people (Black) who were as happy as could be to send their daughters to Baylor...even after the rapes and rape allegations. One was my first cousin's daughter. Even knowing their history and current situation they were still as happy as a ****y in a ***k tree to send their daughters to Baylor.

Now, having said that. I agree with you.

"Some people point to September 12, 1970, as the day HBCUs lost their corner on the nation’s best black football talent. That’s the day an all-white Alabama team got their asses handed to them by the University of Southern California’s heralded African American triumvirate of quarterback Jimmy Jones and running backs Sam “Bam” Cunningham and Clarence Davis. After that, football programs in the Deep South realized that if they were going to stay competitive, they would have to recruit black players. (In other areas of the country, colleges had already begun to recruit African Americans: The Michigan State team that fought Notre Dame to a 10–10 draw in the fall of 1966—a contest that many still consider to be the best college football game of all time—had 20 black players.) "

Alabama's stadium was/is in a predominately black neighborhood and black people were not allowed to attend the games.

Well when all these black athletes showed up from USC....the black people thought it Grambling State....one of the black said, "Who in hell is Alabama playing, Grambling?"
In the book Forty Million Dollar Slaves by William Rhoden, he wrote that Bear Bryant had tried to convince the Bamas that it needed to recruit black football players well before the USC game. As for that game, Bryant, though, had already recruited a black player to Bama. He was sitting in the stands watching that game that night. But the loss to USC certainly helped cement Bryant's point the school needed to invest resources into getting black talent.

"black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players. black men make up only 2.4 percent of the total undergraduate population of the 65 schools in the so-called Power Five athletic conferences. Yet black men make up 55 percent of the football players in those conferences, and 56 percent of basketball players. "
Not going to happen. The kids today are about being on tv, and under the table deals. Some of the parents are getting paid also and are brainwashed that the white mans ice is colder.

The game was played in Legion Field (B'ham). Bear Bryant wanted to make the change sooner, but it was Gov. George Wallace who was the issue. Wallace campaign was based on race. In order for Bear Bryant to prove his point he and the USC coach set up a game in B'ham (not L.A.). After Sam the "Bam" Cunningham put on a show the world saw it was time for Black athletes to have an opportunity to play any where in the south. The following year Alabama went to USC and won 17-10 in an upset.

However, the biggest change happen in 1979. After 1979 the migration of black athletes to PWI was uncontrollable...If there are any old school Steeler fans out there, you know there were many players on that team that had players from HBCU's from the 70's (A&M, South Carolina State, UAPB, Southern etc...). At one time Grambling had more NFL players than any college in America....Did you know that Bear Bryant and Eddie Robinson were friends?

Not trying to derail the thread but it is not just parents of athletes. I personally know three people (Black) who were as happy as could be to send their daughters to Baylor...even after the rapes and rape allegations. One was my first cousin's daughter. Even knowing their history and current situation they were still as happy as a ****y in a ***k tree to send their daughters to Baylor.

Now, having said that. I agree with you.
I know someone whose child wanted to attend PV for nursing and the parent discouraged it due to so called rankings of the nursing schools in the state.

*BIGGEST smile on my face*

I've preached the gospel since my soph yr of HS when I quit playing foo-ball for "the man," after seeing the BIGGER picture how my athletic efforts funded his family's plush lifestyle on the big lake.

Mercy Jesus... the time has BEEN come. (read exactly how I typed it) :D

“We, as black people, don’t feel like something is as large or as good if a white person isn’t in charge of it … We’re the value. That value doesn’t diminish because you’re doing it with your own.”

Last edited:
The game was played in Legion Field (B'ham). Bear Bryant wanted to make the change sooner, but it was Gov. George Wallace who was the issue. Wallace campaign was based on race. In order for Bear Bryant to prove his point he and the USC coach set up a game in B'ham (not L.A.). After Sam the "Bam" Cunningham put on a show the world saw it was time for Black athletes to have an opportunity to play any where in the south. The following year Alabama went to USC and won 17-10 in an upset.

However, the biggest change happen in 1979. After 1979 the migration of black athletes to PWI was uncontrollable...If there are any old school Steeler fans out there, you know there were many players on that team that had players from HBCU's from the 70's (A&M, South Carolina State, UAPB, Southern etc...). At one time Grambling had more NFL players than any college in America....Did you know that Bear Bryant and Eddie Robinson were friends?
Don't forget 'Jefferson Street' Joe Gilliam...out played Bradshaw with backups and still loss the starting job.

Thanks for the correction on location.....

Don't forget 'Jefferson Street' Joe Gilliam...out played Bradshaw with backups and still loss the starting job.

Drugs derailed him. He would have kept that job had the off field stuff hadn’t gotten. I remember watching his documentary and his Dad talk about it. He might have also been bi polar . Such a talent. Chuck Noll didn’t even like Bradshaw much and the Steelers fans/organization and Bradshaw still have a love hate relationship. Bradshaw was on his way to being a bust until Gilliam started having those issues.

Drugs derailed him. He would have kept that job had the off field stuff hadn’t gotten. I remember watching his documentary and his Dad talk about it. He might have also been bi polar . Such a talent. Chuck Noll didn’t even like Bradshaw much and the Steelers fans/organization and Bradshaw still have a love hate relationship. Bradshaw was on his way to being a bust until Gilliam started having those issues.
I think Gilliam's issues began or at the least were exasperated by his being demoted after out playing Bradshaw and winning with the second team. I do not doubt he had issues but Joe's story is too similar to Eldridge Dickey's story for it to be totally on him. For some people disappointment can drive them to do things they may not ordinarily do. Some of us handle disappointment/rejection better than others. It happened a lot among artists...especially musicians back in the day.

Likely nothing. The idea that the money and media coverage are just going to magically follow Black athletes to HBCUs ignores all of the country's history.
This is more than likely true. That was primarily the draw when the better Black athletes began going to PWIs. I think being on TV was more of a draw than the money because all of them (Black athletes) were not getting money. They dangled that shiny bead of being on TV in front of them and that was all she wrote.

Back